Code of Conduct

Default Banana Republic Cordovan

This subject hasn't been broached since 2007. If I walk into BR I always have to smell their scents to see if there is any change for me. I always thought Black Walnut was pretty nice, though I never purchased it. Today I smelled Cordovan. Maybe I never really took the time with this one before but I found it to be pretty nice and as good as most designers I have smelled lately. I actually like it more than similar styles like D&G The One. Spicy but casual enough to wear to work. Really surprised. The drydown has a nice vanilla/almond type note to it.

BTW, they now..or maybe they always did and I don't go there often, .75 ml minis of all their scents for $10. So a good way to try them.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th January 2009 at 07:13 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Banana Republic Cordovan

I picked up a couple of their mini's when they were on sale before Christmas. I really like their scents, even though they don't seem to last long on me. Slate and Cordovan are my favorites.

I was able to pick up the minis for $5 each from their stores. It was 2 for $10.

Cordovan is very good. Don't expect "niche" quality or "uniqueness" or anything that would cause some to snob it off.

I liked Black Walnut, though I found it to be a lot like John Varvatos, and it nothing to do with walnut. Regardless, it's pretty decent. I bought a bunch of those minis a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Spicy but casual enough to wear to work. Really surprised. The drydown has a nice vanilla/almond type note to it.
    When I smell Cordovan, maybe my nose just skips the spicy part because I do not smell anything spicy about it. Mostly soft with vanilla/almond. Definately something I would want to wear underneath and on a casual day, maybe even more lax than casual as when I'm at home. Its definatley a good fragrance but not spicy for me. Maybe I'm thinking too narrowly about spicy as in peppers and Opium YSL.

Apart from this, I've always wanted to try Black Walnut.

black walnut is good, but too sweet and boozy. Cordovan is by far the best and most developed of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by urgetopurge View Post
    When I smell Cordovan, maybe my nose just skips the spicy part because I do not smell anything spicy about it. Mostly soft with vanilla/almond. Definately something I would want to wear underneath and on a casual day, maybe even more lax than casual as when I'm at home. Its definatley a good fragrance but not spicy for me. Maybe I'm thinking too narrowly about spicy as in peppers and Opium YSL.

Apart from this, I've always wanted to try Black Walnut.
    I got spicy/peppery through the whole development. Maybe I'm explaining it wrong but it was a kick.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th January 2009 at 04:37 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Black Walnut is like Burberry London's less interesting little brother.

Cordovan smells like something else but I cannot put my finger on it. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I'm with you. Yesterday it was a thing where I kept getting a whiff, a flashback to something else and it was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't figure it out....I think part of it reminded me of a lighter Gucci PH. But then there was another one...when this mellowed... that it brought to mind. I have to wear it again..I might bet the $10 .75 and see what I think as a weekend type of thing.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th January 2009 at 04:45 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    someone mentioned it was similar to Abercrombie woods...

There is a middle area to drydown that reminds me of Emporio Armani He also..in fact just like it
    --Ben Hogan

I bought a nice gift set of Cordovan at TJ Maxx today. I got a 1.7 EDT spray and a shower gel for just $16.99. It came in a very nice gift box.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I bought a nice gift set of Cordovan at TJ Maxx today. I got a 1.7 EDT spray and a shower gel for just $16.99. It came in a very nice gift box.
    I bought that recently as well, blind buy after reading reviews from here. Not bad.

I got that gift set too. Great office wear in my rotation when I want something different.