Code of Conduct

Question Why does everything smell like shampoo?

I stopped going to department stores or brick-and-mortar perfume shops about a year ago, in part because so much of the stuff for sale has an awful, shampoo-like smell. What is that shampooy stuff I'm smelling, and why is there so much of it around these days? Is it a partiular chemical? Can anyone enlighten me on this? I'd appriciate it.

Default Re: Why does everything smell like shampoo?

For one, the odorants used in functional perfumery (i.e. for fragrancing cleaning products, car seats, air fresheners, what have you, as well as beauty products) are today frequently the same as those used in "high" perfumery. So you might rediscover the fragrance complex, or parts of it, of your $2.99 shampoo in a $79.99 perfume. The other aspect is the popularity since the 1990s of so-called aquatic / marine / ozonic notes in perfumes, which are also standards in shower gels, shampoos etc. to suggest freshness and cleanness. Calone and Dihydromyrcenol are two synthetic odorant particularly responsible for much of this.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Try sampling some other lines, not everything smells like shampoo, although I know what you're saying...

My Arm and Hammer laundry detergent has an 'Orchard Blossom' accord which is so alien from any orchard I've ever walked through. Blame it partly on the industrial strength, cheap, white musks.

Thanks for the info, the_good_life. Very interesting. BTW, I checked out your blog--very good.

I agree, it is probably the trend toward fruits, aquatics, and ozonics still in full swing. Department stores tend to carry the trendy stuff. It takes years of reasearch and sampling to be able to walk into a department store and MISS the shampoo perfumes, and the only way to do it is to know ahead of time which fragrances to seek out.

Good life's post is on point.
    I am dissapointed with 95% of all niche/designer releases, But I wouldn't say everything smells like Shampoo. Hermes, Guerlain, even Bvlgari are all available and most B&M stores. Not to mention lots of larger Niche available @ Nieman/Barneys/Saks/etc. Especially not to mention some awful houses having a gem. Keep Trying, you'll find a few.