Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1

    Default Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Well my freebie bottle arrived this morning - thanks to basenotes and penhaligons for this promotion .

    The fragrance is absolutely wonderful and - I think - unchanged from its previous incarnation, though it is still to early for me to say for sure. My older one from a mini seems to hit the floral heart a little sooner while the new one holds the citrus longer but I think that is probably just age.
    The citrus top on this is really divine, fresh, sharp and green; lovely bergamot and beautifully blended but recognisable notes of lime, mandarin and lemon. The heart is a combination of a very natural smelling neroli and some soft (less natural) muguet. I haven't got to the base yet....

    What a refreshing blast to counteract the constant gloom on the radio .

    Anyone else receive one yet?

    edit - I just read the bottle which says the fragrance is based on "flowers of the cistus tree". Anyone know what that is about? The fragrance does have a resinous, ambery quality to it for sure, but labdanum is not an extract of the flowers as far as I know?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 29th January 2009 at 09:43 AM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  2. #2

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    I don't know about cistus flowers.

    The following on labdanum is from Bo Jensen's website:

    The leaves of the rockrose Cistus ladaniferus are covered by glandular hairs exuding an odoriferous resin called labdanum. It has a warm, sweet-resinous, woody-ambery odour. It is one of perfumery's classic ingredients.

    C. ladaniferus is typical of the dry-land vegetation ('maki') of the Mediterranean countries. In Cyprus, for example, there are large brushwoods of C. ladaniferus. Goats and sheep in the hills get their fur sticky with labdanum. Formerly the shepherds collected this material from their animals and sold it to buyers at the sea-ports. In ancient Egypt, the false goat-hair beards of the pharaohs were impregnated with labdanum to surround these men with an impressive aura of distinction.
    The Cypriotes mixed labdanum with styrax and calmus oil, thereby creating an early masterpiece of perfumery. The Crusaders, when they conquered the island, became so enthusiastic about the fragrance that they brought the recipe to the rest of Europe. Known as the 'Chypre'-theme, it is still employed in modern perfumery.
    Cyprus, Crete, the Esterel Mountains in southern France, Spain and Portugal are the main production sites of labdanum. Today the crude Labdanum gum-resin is obtained by treating the cut plants with hot alkaline water to catch all the surface waxes, resinous matter and oily parts from the plants. Steam distillation of the gum yields about 2 % of labdanum oil, which is extensively used in perfumery. It has a powerful, diffusive and very substantive odour with strong notes of incense and ambergris. The oil is an extremely complex mixture of mainly oxygenated terpenoid compounds C10-20. Weyerstahl et al. detected more than 300 constituents in a sample of commercial labdanum oil, 186 of which were identified. The main compound was ledene (9 %). Among the constituents having an ambery odour, alpha-ambrinol, ambrox and drimenone were identified [62]. By using GC with sniffing, Ramalho et al. found that 2,2,6-trimethyl-2-cyclohexenone was an important woody-smelling constituent of labdanum oil from Portugal.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Flowers [sic!] of the cistus tree [sic!]. That's what happens when the trainees get to write the copy, huh?
    Never mind the words, glad you enjoy the fragrance.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    rub it in Hirch rub it in...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    rub it in Hirch rub it in...

    Oh no! I wouldn't want to bruise it.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  6. #6

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    OOPS. misread that very small type Iit actually says:

    "This classic fragrance based on the gum cistus flower which grows wild at Crofts......"

    which is also a bit bizarre
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 29th January 2009 at 01:46 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  7. #7

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I don't know about cistus flowers.

    The following on labdanum is from Bo Jensen's website:

    The leaves of the rockrose Cistus ladaniferus are covered by glandular hairs exuding an odoriferous resin called labdanum. It has a warm, sweet-resinous, woody-ambery odour. It is one of perfumery's classic ingredients.

    C. ladaniferus is typical of the dry-land vegetation ('maki') of the Mediterranean countries. In Cyprus, for example, there are large brushwoods of C. ladaniferus. Goats and sheep in the hills get their fur sticky with labdanum. Formerly the shepherds collected this material from their animals and sold it to buyers at the sea-ports. In ancient Egypt, the false goat-hair beards of the pharaohs were impregnated with labdanum to surround these men with an impressive aura of distinction.
    The Cypriotes mixed labdanum with styrax and calmus oil, thereby creating an early masterpiece of perfumery. The Crusaders, when they conquered the island, became so enthusiastic about the fragrance that they brought the recipe to the rest of Europe. Known as the 'Chypre'-theme, it is still employed in modern perfumery.
    Cyprus, Crete, the Esterel Mountains in southern France, Spain and Portugal are the main production sites of labdanum. Today the crude Labdanum gum-resin is obtained by treating the cut plants with hot alkaline water to catch all the surface waxes, resinous matter and oily parts from the plants. Steam distillation of the gum yields about 2 % of labdanum oil, which is extensively used in perfumery. It has a powerful, diffusive and very substantive odour with strong notes of incense and ambergris. The oil is an extremely complex mixture of mainly oxygenated terpenoid compounds C10-20. Weyerstahl et al. detected more than 300 constituents in a sample of commercial labdanum oil, 186 of which were identified. The main compound was ledene (9 %). Among the constituents having an ambery odour, alpha-ambrinol, ambrox and drimenone were identified [62]. By using GC with sniffing, Ramalho et al. found that 2,2,6-trimethyl-2-cyclohexenone was an important woody-smelling constituent of labdanum oil from Portugal.
    Great info, thanks scentsitivity
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  8. #8

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    OOPS. misread that very small type Iit actually says:

    "This classic fragrance based on the gum cistus flower which grows wild at Crofts......"

    which is also a bit bizarre
    This purty one?
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1074/...10d317dc_b.jpg

    Is that for real or just a nice way of saying its some Symrise white floral note?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    This purty one?
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1074/...10d317dc_b.jpg

    Is that for real or just a nice way of saying its some Symrise white floral note?
    Actually I think it probably means labdanum but is just badly expressed. The frag has labdanum, smells pretty natural to me.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  10. #10

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Flowers [sic!] of the cistus tree [sic!]. That's what happens when the trainees get to write the copy, huh?
    Never mind the words, glad you enjoy the fragrance.
    Cistus Ladaniferus is not the only variety of cistus. In fact the cistus family has many members ranging from small low growing shrubs up through larger shrubs. Calling any of them a tree might be stretching it a bit. And yes they do flower.... why do you think they are called rockroses? They are quite nice flowers, 5 petals in shades of red/pink or white with bright dots near the center.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  11. #11

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Cistus Ladaniferus is not the only variety of cistus. In fact the cistus family has many members ranging from small low growing shrubs up through larger shrubs. Calling any of them a tree might be stretching it a bit. And yes they do flower.... why do you think they are called rockroses? They are quite nice flowers, 5 petals in shades of red/pink or white with bright dots near the center.
    I guess I wonder if the rockrose flower is used in fragrance. I can't find anything on it.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    I also received my bottle this morning, if only everyday could begin this way. Every stop on the journey from the opening to the base has been a new joy. I will certainly replace this bottle when it empties in about 3 months. Like a a good drug dealer, Penhaligon's have given us a taste for free, in order to gain a lifetime of addiction.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    I got mine today and had to try it. I had planned to give it to my daughter's boyfriend as I did not think it was my husband's style of fragrance. But I sprayed it on the back of my hand and he was definitely intrigued and wants to try it himself. However...I have enjoyed it for a couple of hours now and would actually wear it myself. I love the light lemony scent but the bergamot gives it a slight edge, and it keeps changing...

    The men in my life might find they just get a decant of it rather than the FB.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Cistus Ladaniferus is not the only variety of cistus. In fact the cistus family has many members ranging from small low growing shrubs up through larger shrubs. Calling any of them a tree might be stretching it a bit. And yes they do flower.... why do you think they are called rockroses? They are quite nice flowers, 5 petals in shades of red/pink or white with bright dots near the center.
    Yes, but I've never come across cistus blossoms as a perfume material. I suppose they key word in that description is "based on," which can mean "derived from" as well as "inspired by" . Anyhow, in the old Douro description it's just good old labdanum (resinoid).
    Last edited by the_good_life; 29th January 2009 at 08:54 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Just to say that my final conclusion was that the formulation hasn't changed at all from the previous packaging.
    Anybody else have a view on this?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  16. #16

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    I tried a 4 year old bottle on one arm, and the new one on the other. In my opinion, they are identical. I just prefer the newer one as I did not need to pay for it

  17. #17

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    I tried a 4 year old bottle on one arm, and the new one on the other. In my opinion, they are identical. I just prefer the newer one as I did not need to pay for it

    Yes, my thoughts exactly . Thanks for the confirmation. It is good that they don't seem to have messed with it.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  18. #18

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Received mine on Saturday so I wanted to thank both Penhaligon's and Basenotes.

    For those who have not seen the Douro, this is what the bottle with its' very nice little bow tie and packaging look like. Hope it's alright to share these pictures.


    Sleeve with cellophane removed








    It is a classic cologne with fresh floral notes of spice, lemon, herbs and a very classy appeal. Not inexpensive at GBP50 for a 50ml bottle, nevertheless Penhaligon's will get a closer look by me next time I go fragrance shopping. It deserves nothing less.


    Have a nice week ahead everyone
    Last edited by Houston2628; 2nd February 2009 at 11:48 AM.

  19. #19
    Critic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom, Woking
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    I like it, it lasts well enough but it doesn't have much presence. It also smells a bit like bleach at the start, but it will be nice for the summer!!!
    Last edited by Critic; 2nd February 2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: fatigue!
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

    Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

  20. #20

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Just like to add my many thanks for my free bottle too! Apologies for the lateness. Currently having my bathroom done so staying at parents. Only discovered the parcel yesterday, as the plumbers had buried under a load of junk mail. Think i'm going to enjoy this after the initial trial.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    I too would like to extend my belated gratitude to Basenotes and Penhaligon's PR for this really generous gift, which I only received from the post office depot yesterday.

    Having only tested from a sample vial until now [those little ten-pack tins of assorted 2ml vials are excellent!], I was surprised to observe from a full-on wearing that there's a little bit of soft spicy warmth going on at the low end of this fragrance which I hadn't picked up on before.

    I still think it's too classy for my everyday wear, but it'll be in the running next time I choose to hang a suit around myself, I reckon.

    Thank you again, Grant and co.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by simisker View Post
    I too would like to extend my belated gratitude to Basenotes and Penhaligon's PR for this really generous gift, which I only received from the post office depot yesterday.

    Having only tested from a sample vial until now [those little ten-pack tins of assorted 2ml vials are excellent!], I was surprised to observe from a full-on wearing that there's a little bit of soft spicy warmth going on at the low end of this fragrance which I hadn't picked up on before.

    I still think it's too classy for my everyday wear, but it'll be in the running next time I choose to hang a suit around myself, I reckon.

    Thank you again, Grant and co.
    I wore it again on Wednesday and was impressed by the prominent and very nice oakmoss.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  23. #23
    itsthepens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)
    Posts
    169

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    FINALLY today i will get my hands on my bottle - i entered the competition whilst staying with my parents over christmas, and foolishly used their address when entering - a 'mystery chunky package' (as described by my mother!) has been waiting at her house ever since. currently en route to visit again, can't wait to smell it!

  24. #24
    itsthepens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)
    Posts
    169

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    and it's in my hands at last.

    the opening is clear, bright aromatic citrus, classic and with a strong masculine character, rather traditional, quite formal, big rounded clean lemons with a lavender soapy character, softening after an hour or so as a floral heart begins to appear, lily-of-the valley continuing the tradional feel. i don't particularly identify neroli, although perhaps the citrus/muguet transition posseses this and i'm just not sensitive enough to discern it. that's as much as i get from it so far. i'm not sure if this is particularly suited to my everyday dress, but for formal day occasions i can see this being an ideal discreet, gentlemanly cologne.
    there's also something starting to appear which reminds me of the base of mitsouko, though not remotely feminine - almost like a pale, greenish vetiver - is this oakmoss?

    the full drydown is yet to come, i'm intruiged.

    thanks again to everyone involved in this giveaway, it's so wonderful to get something for nothing!

    Guy

  25. #25
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    would it be possible to trim that new ribbon style so that it just looks like the old way they tied it? (and not like the head of a penis)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  26. #26

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    How'd you guys score a free bottle? Did I miss summat?

    I just received a generous package of free samples of Elixir and Hammam Bouquet (they were out of LP No.9 for Men) from their US outpost in Jersey. I also just bought Opus 1870 so Penhaligon's has been preying on my mind lately.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

    Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait


    My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

  27. #27

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    would it be possible to trim that new ribbon style so that it just looks like the old way they tied it? (and not like the head of a penis)

    Now, I had not even thought of it, until you mentioned it......now I can't escape that image

  28. #28

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Im afraid I had to pay it forward with this one and gave it away , not my cup of tea at all ......

  29. #29

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Douro is marketed as -Douro Cologne- Is Douro a traditional eau du cologne fragrance? Or is it actualy a edt? What do you think about the sillage and longevity? I have only tried it from a sample, and I love it! I would like to order a bottle, but if it`s an eau du cologne, I`m afraid it will not last on my skin.. Endymion is also marketed as an Cologne..

  30. #30

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    It is an EDT strength eau de portugal which is an edc type fragrance based around orange notes. But this one has lots of labdanum which gives it some longevity.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  31. #31

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    It is an EDT strength eau de portugal which is an edc type fragrance based around orange notes. But this one has lots of labdanum which gives it some longevity.
    ok. But on the Penhaligon`s homepage it is a menu on the left side where you can chose between Edt, eau du parfum, and cologne. Douro and Endymion are listed under cologne..

  32. #32

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    ok. But on the Penhaligon`s homepage it is a menu on the left side where you can chose between Edt, eau du parfum, and cologne. Douro and Endymion are listed under cologne..
    I think this is anglo-american english for "suitable for wear by straight men who are worried that weraing fragrance may make some people think they are gay/not real men". It fits on the bottle more easilly...
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  33. #33

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I think this is anglo-american english for "suitable for wear by straight men who are worried that weraing fragrance may make some people think they are gay/not real men". It fits on the bottle more easilly...
    he he.. ok.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

    I bought this on a whim today. I wanted something so different than what i normally wear and own. A typical manly man's cologne. This (marketed as Douro Cologne now - not eau du Portugal) and the Colonia by Acqua di Parma are the best colognes IMO.

Similar Threads

  1. Vol de Nuit
    By Beau Garçon in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19th January 2009, 05:48 PM
  2. What is Proust and Madeleine?
    By lightgreen22 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd December 2008, 05:44 PM
  3. Must Have Summer Scents: Eau de Rochas
    By scenteur7 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 21st March 2008, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •