Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Penhaligons Douro Eau de Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    It is an EDT strength eau de portugal which is an edc type fragrance based around orange notes. But this one has lots of labdanum which gives it some longevity.
    ok. But on the Penhaligon`s homepage it is a menu on the left side where you can chose between Edt, eau du parfum, and cologne. Douro and Endymion are listed under cologne..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    ok. But on the Penhaligon`s homepage it is a menu on the left side where you can chose between Edt, eau du parfum, and cologne. Douro and Endymion are listed under cologne..
    I think this is anglo-american english for "suitable for wear by straight men who are worried that weraing fragrance may make some people think they are gay/not real men". It fits on the bottle more easilly...
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I think this is anglo-american english for "suitable for wear by straight men who are worried that weraing fragrance may make some people think they are gay/not real men". It fits on the bottle more easilly...
    he he.. ok.

I bought this on a whim today. I wanted something so different than what i normally wear and own. A typical manly man's cologne. This (marketed as Douro Cologne now - not eau du Portugal) and the Colonia by Acqua di Parma are the best colognes IMO.

It is an EDT strength eau de portugal which is an edc type fragrance based around orange notes. But this one has lots of labdanum which gives it some longevity.
    Is "Eau de portugal" the same as EDT? Please tell me about it, because I find it very interesting!
    - I recently bought a bottle of Douro at the Penhaligon's store in Covent Garden. The SA there told me it was a EDT, but on their website its clasified as a EDC. Very confusing..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Is "Eau de portugal" the same as EDT? Please tell me about it, because I find it very interesting!
    - I recently bought a bottle of Douro at the Penhaligon's store in Covent Garden. The SA there told me it was a EDT, but on their website its clasified as a EDC. Very confusing..
    Someone has any info on this?

User of Toilet Water

What does it say on the bottle? Either the label or the sticker on the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    What does it say on the bottle? Either the label or the sticker on the bottom?
    It just says "Cologne"

Historically speaking, calling this reformulated version of Douro an "Eau du Portugal" is bull. An Eau du Portugal is by definition a sweet orange fragrance - there is none of that in Douro anymore, just a "mandarin" note among many others. An Iberian-owned company, they should really know better.
    So if anybody wants an actual Eau du Portugal, go for Trumper's, or make your own.

Note that it says Cologne on the bottle, not Eau de Cologne - so this is not indicative of fragrance concentration, but merely a marker of masculinity - because in Anglophone countries, real men wear cologne, never perfume or toilet water
    Last edited by the_good_life; 10th September 2016 at 03:31 PM.
    Currently wearing: Mellis by Annette Neuffer

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    because in Anglophone countries, real men wear cologne, never perfume or toilet water
    It's an American thing. Other anglophones aren't quite so sensitive to the p-word.