Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default Damn ! I need an ultra-strength room deodorizer

I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex. I have no idea how a skunk got into our unit, but Damn !!!: This has to be smelled to be believed.

I checked twice to see if it was coming from outside, but it's not...and I can't find any evidence of the varmint in the building except for the malodorous emanations that are permeating every apartment from the first floor to the third.

I thought about spraying Kouros, but that may backfire and kill some elderly folks downstairs. The stink is just punching through the Glade I've been spraying with abandon.
    I don't have any other ideas on what will mask something that smells this vile.

Any ideas folks?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Damn ! I need an ultra-strength room deodorizer

Nothing you try is gonna work until the animal's removed from the area.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

That is absolutely horrid! I live in a rural area with many different odor challenges from decomposing 'Lord knows what', to septic field evaporation, to our own horses' urine and manure, and the neighbor's (about a mile down) cows (worse than horses). I can't always open a window to air the house out because the source is most often outside. I said all that to say, I sympathize. I would try everything from incense to Lampe Berger, but here is a link that may be helpful. They also post an 800 help number. Hope things improve.
    http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/sci_update.cfm?DocID=200

Here is another site that may helpful. I ways think that burning something is the best way to neutralize sulfuric odors?
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Skunk+...ail-a014696964
    Last edited by analavande; 13th February 2009 at 08:07 PM.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Dousing the area in Kouros seems like a good idea.

Try that, and if it doesn't help, come back and we'll figure out what else to spray...
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

AE has all the powerhouses from 70's and 80's..i think all he needs to do is open his fragrance wardrobe...

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    AE has all the powerhouses from 70's and 80's..i think all he needs to do is open his fragrance wardrobe...
    Jen.....I fear for the life of some nice old-timers that live downstairs.

It's still really bad in the hallway, but it's finally starting to subside. I sprayed the apartment with a barrage of juice. I never realized just how "sharp & bright" Moods Krizia was.
    The candles are blazing away also. I shall avoid going out if at all possible.

Blog Entries

Spraying lots of alcohol-based fragrance near open flame from the candles... well, you see where I'm going with this.

Blog Entries

To give a serious answer to a funny thread, go to a natural foods store and check out the pure orange or citrus oil room deodorizers.

Here's a link, but you can find something similar at any Whole Foods or Trader Joe's or decent grocery store:

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/itemKey/59490

The point is that it's nothing but orange oil in a non-aerosol spray can. We use them at work and I've never smelled *anything* they can't neutralize...

It smells for a few minutes like you're cutting up oranges, then it quickly goes away, taking the foul odors with it.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by exquisitely me View Post
    Spraying lots of alcohol-based fragrance near open flame from the candles... well, you see where I'm going with this.
    It's safe to say that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer......however, there was no casualties.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Damn ! I need an ultra-strength room deodorizer

Oh, this is good. I am sorry but, this is funny! This reminds me of when I lived the the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California. One dark and moonless night I woke to hear the chickens making sounds that obviously meant that they were under attack by something. It was in the summer and the nearest neighbor was quite far from my house so, I grabbed my old Winchester .22 calibre rifle, single shot, loaded up and went out into the warm night in just my underwear whereupon, with my flashlight saw the glowing eyes of the culprit, a skunk. It wouldn't cease and desist so I had to marshal the nerve to shoot it. SMELL!!! Whew! So, next I had to breath through my mouth, get the shovel, burry it and go back to bed. I will never forget that summer night. But, I digress. By the way I wouldn't use the Kourus. The skunk might fall in love.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 13th February 2009 at 11:36 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

5 X 7 glossy head-shot publicity photos of Howard Cosell placed face-out in every room should cause the critter to seek a different abode. As for the smell, if you can't find the source and nullify it with skunk stink neutralizer (hunting stores usually have it), then Kourous may indeed be your only salvation
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Nothing will do as well as removing the source, but for a short-term solution, try X-O.

Wow, that sucks. I know this post was made half jokingly but perfume =/= deodorizer. Use Oust or if it's really bad I think there are heavier like industrial strength deodorizers out there that'll make you dizzy for the first couple hours though I don't know where you'd get them. Or you could just wait it out. =) I feel for ya though.

Easy - use a Lampe Berger. It uses a catalytic burner that destroys any scent in the air and purifies it. It's first a foremost a odor eliminator, but they make all the scents as an added benefit. There are a number of variations and other brands which should all work the same. You can also buy neutral LB fuel or maybe mix it with just a touch of scented fuel to just have a light scent. I've gotten rid of a house smelling like fried fish in an hour with one placed in my kitchen.

o-zone spray works wonders, although I understand it's not great for your long-term health

would be a cheap and easy short-term solution though
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Easy - use a Lampe Berger. It uses a catalytic burner that destroys any scent in the air and purifies it. It's first a foremost a odor eliminator, but they make all the scents as an added benefit. There are a number of variations and other brands which should all work the same. You can also buy neutral LB fuel or maybe mix it with just a touch of scented fuel to just have a light scent. I've gotten rid of a house smelling like fried fish in an hour with one placed in my kitchen.
    This sounds like something I should get. I was fishing for info about Lampe Berger awhile back pertaining to a sandalwood room spray.

I also happen to live smack across the street from the city's sewage treatment plant. Most days you would never know it, but dude, the days that YOU DO KNOW IT, there's no fragrance in the world I know of that has a chance against this. The skunk today was a minor leaguer compared to when that plant is "letting off steam" and your downwind.

It's in a gulley of sorts, so when you're looking at renting an apt., you don't see it even though it's 500 yards away.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    This sounds like something I should get. I was fishing for info about Lampe Berger awhile back pertaining to a sandalwood room spray.

I also happen to live smack across the street from the city's sewage treatment plant. Most days you would never know it, but dude, the days that YOU DO KNOW IT, there's no fragrance in the world I know of that has a chance against this. The skunk today was a minor leaguer compared to when that plant is "letting off steam" and your downwind.

It's in a gulley of sorts, so when you're looking at renting an apt., you don't see it even though it's 500 yards away.

Totally.. I know what you mean. My office is right near a water treatment plant. It's almost comical how fast I jump after the recirculate button when I drive by and smell it.

But for your place - it makes more sense to try to get rid of smell rather than add more with air fresheners. I mean, I can suggest 10 wonderful air fresheners, but there's nothing worse than extra pretty smell trying to mask crappy, stinky smell.

Dude, you have no idea.

I will try and make this long story very short.

When I was living in NYC for law school-I lived in a great apartment building with my former girlfriend (we broke up a long time ago). I had graduated and got a job but she was 1 year behind me so we still lived together in, what was considered, student housing. That year the law school sold the apartment complex and many many law students left-we stayed. The new management company "sectioned 8'ed" the apartment complex, w/o telling the few law students who remained. We had hoodlums move it. We had new neighbors who sold crack cocaine through the night-ppl would knock all night- and I saw them sell rocks and knew a former law student who bought rocks from them.

Guy downstairs moves in. Ends up OD'ing on pills. His body sits in his closet for weeks decomposing. The girl under him has his blood drip into her apaprtment and she complains. Now, during this whole time there was what I can only describe as the worst odor ever and it smelled like burnt hairs all through the building. The cops break door down and find this dead dude-we move out 1 week later.

Needless to say-the whole 4 story apartment complex smelled like death for approx. 1 week.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 14th February 2009 at 02:21 AM.

WHOA that is one awesome story! WOW! I'm jealous for some reason.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Dude, you have no idea.

I will try and make this long story very short.

When I was living in NYC for law school-I lived in a great apartment building with my former girlfriend (we broke up a long time ago). I had graduated and got a job but she was 1 year behind me so we still lived together in, what was considered, student housing. That year the law school sold the apartment complex and many many law students left-we stayed. The new management company "sectioned 8'ed" the apartment complex, w/o telling the few law students who remained. We had hoodlums move it. We had new neighbors who sold crack cocaine through the night-ppl would knock all night- and I saw them sell rocks and knew a former law student who bought rocks from them.

Guy downstairs moves in. Ends up OD'ing on pills. His body sits in his closet for weeks decomposing. The girl under him has his blood drip into her apaprtment and she complains. Now, during this whole time there was what I can only describe as the worst odor ever and it smelled like burnt hairs all through the building. The cops break door down and find this dead dude-we move out 1 week later.

Needless to say-the whole 4 story apartment complex smelled like death for approx. 1 week.
    That sounds like where I used to live in Kensington, North Philly I feel for you bro having to smell decomposition. That takes months or longer to get that stench out of an area.

Big cities have certain neighborhoods that are just off the hook stupid....and all those hoods have one thing in common.....they stink.

LB neutral -- I am pretty sure this is simply 90% alcohol from the drugstore.

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    I would try everything from incense to Lampe Berger,
    I have been singing the praises of Lampe Berger for about 8 years and I am ashamed I did not know about them earlier. Please try one. They are marvelous. The Parfums Berger room sprays are also effective. I do not have the Sandalwood. I have Broderie de buis (translates to Boxwood embroidery?)

Re LB neutral: Asha is 100% correct, I use 91% isopropyl.
    Last edited by analavande; 14th February 2009 at 03:07 AM.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    I have been singing the praises of Lampe Berger for about 8 years and I am ashamed I did not know about them earlier. Please try one. They are marvelous. The Parfums Berger room sprays are also effective. I do not have the Sandalwood. I have Broderie de buis (translates to Boxwood embroidery?)
    Ya know, all the $$$ I spend on juice, you'd think I'd have a system for fragrancing the air in our place, but Nooooooooooo......I have Glade and some sandalwood candles.

I'm gonna break down and get LB. I need the apartment smelling as good as I do.

Talking Re: Damn ! I need an ultra-strength room deodorizer

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Nothing you try is gonna work until the animal's removed from the area.
    Where is the exterminator in this story!? Or Animal Control?
    It really is the most putrid smell. My (idiotic but lovable) dog once provoked a skunk and stuck around to get sprayed, then ran into the house and rolled on the downstairs carpet trying to remove the stench from her coat. Frankly, the only thing that helped was 1. bathing the dog in tomato juice several times; 2. professionally cleaning the carpet and 3. TIME. The smell WILL dissipate with time. But it's quite miserable waiting.
    I walked around the house with fragrance dabbed small cotton balls stuffed in my nostrils for several days. Yes I looked like a cretin, but it was either that or move to a hotel. The rest of the family tolerated the scent much better than I did, especially the kids. They'd try to go into the TV room (where the worst of the smell was), and come running out, giggling and screaming "Evacuate!!" and "Retreat, retreat, retreat!!"

I thought about spraying Kouros, but that may backfire and kill some elderly folks downstairs.
    Thanks for a great morning laugh

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I agree with lizzie_j about the need for an exterminator or a skunk wrangler. The landlord is required to provide a habitable environment. I'd request that they put you up in a motel until the air is breathable.
    Once the varmint is out of the building, and appropriate measures have been taken to clean the areas that have been sprayed by the skunk, you can start to try to cover it up. The strongest room deodorizer I know of is Papier d'Armenie. http://papierdarmenie.fr/

I need the apartment smelling as good as I do.
    Or at least smell like nothing so your personal awesome smelliness can shine through.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Where is the exterminator in this story!? Or Animal Control?
    It really is the most putrid smell. My (idiotic but lovable) dog once provoked a skunk and stuck around to get sprayed, then ran into the house and rolled on the downstairs carpet trying to remove the stench from her coat. Frankly, the only thing that helped was 1. bathing the dog in tomato juice several times; 2. professionally cleaning the carpet and 3. TIME. The smell WILL dissipate with time. But it's quite miserable waiting.
    I walked around the house with fragrance dabbed small cotton balls stuffed in my nostrils for several days. Yes I looked like a cretin, but it was either that or move to a hotel. The rest of the family tolerated the scent much better than I did, especially the kids. They'd try to go into the TV room (where the worst of the smell was), and come running out, giggling and screaming "Evacuate!!" and "Retreat, retreat, retreat!!"
    Lol

I think a dab of Vicks on each nostril would also help you care alot less about the stench....

Blog Entries

Always knew redox was good for something - check out this link for removing skunk odor using some chemistry that actually works. Of course, you have to find whatever the skunk actually sprayed to use it...