Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives Lyric Woman by Amouage four stars

'...The perfumer Daniel Maurel has conjured a chimera of citrus, flowers and spice, and the genius of it is that if you narrow your eyes, you can smell each piece moving inside. Mouthwatering warm spices with cream and bergamot zest. And then, when the swirling top clears away after 20 minutes or so, wood and incense, but playing subtle roles. This is Opiumís violet-eyed granddaughter...'

Read the full review in the NYT The Moment Blog here.

Default Re: Burr gives Lyric Woman by Amouage four stars

Some day I'm going to obtain an array of samples from Perfumed Court for this house. If anyone would care to comment here, please list all of them that you think are worth trying.

Blog Entries

Purplebird, you best get over here. I have most of them.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Some day I'm going to obtain an array of samples from Perfumed Court for this house. If anyone would care to comment here, please list all of them that you think are worth trying.
    I've sampled just about all of the Amouage line to date, and of them I suggest sampling Gold (both genders), Dia (both genders), Lyric (the women's is more distinctive to my nose than the men's), Ciel for Men, and the two Jubilations, though I find the men's scent (Jubilation XXV) far the more interesting of the two. Cirrus and Arcus are disappointingly generic, and while many swear by Silver Cologne, I prefer Gold and Dia for their more substantial structure.

In my opinion, Dia for Men remains the standout of the line and is the one I really couldn't do without.

I'm with you Purplebird. Gold is the only fragrance I have tried from Amouge but I have been dying to try Lyric and Jubilation.

I have tried Homage and Silver Crystal. Homage is exquisit. I did not care for Silver Crystal, too generic. I think it is discontinued.
    Evenstar

I just tried 25. From a sample. Just a tiny dab on each wrist, so when I say pretty but not great longevity that might not be so. That could be a function of just how little I used. Worth sampling.
    I put a little of the lyric on a piece of paper when I was out perfume shopping, and I hated it. Because I tend to shy away from anything indolic. Later I got home and smelled the paper and it was the most beautiful thing ever.

Purplebird,
    I recommend that you try Lyric. It is my favorite by far. I finally caved in and purchased a very expensive bottle last week.

Jubilation is wonderful, but does not have the sillage and lasting power I'd like for the price.I would have to reapply quite often. It is beautiful close to the skin, though. It ends up a sort of appetizer that makes me turn to Tauer (L'air du dťsert or Le Maroc pour elle) for the main course. A must-try.

A lot of people love Dia. I find it veeeeery soapy. I want you to try it just because I find from your reviews we often have the same preferences. I'm curious to see if you agree!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 30th January 2009 at 03:35 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Smile Re: Burr gives Lyric Woman by Amouage four stars

I agree with the Lyric rating (I'm sure Chandler Burr can now sleep peacefully at night). I'm not a huge rose fan (nor am I a detractor), and Lyric is just my kind of rose...complex, dark, tons of interesting support notes.
    I own Jubilation 25. It's a very elegant fragrance that I save for special occasions. (getting my tax refund, finishing my newsletter for work, finding gas for $1.75 a gallon, ......you know those kinds of special occasions!) Really gorgeous and I believe you can get a bottle on Amazon for $50 which is over 1/2 off the usual price. That price comes and goes so just be patient. If you'd like a sample of mine, just pm me!

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Jubilation 25, the version for women, reminds me of Rochas Femme. I sense the similarity primarily in the spicy opening.

In reference to the original post, I concur with Chandler Burr. Amouage Lyric Woman is an outstanding, complex oriental fragrance framing a lush rose.

I only know Jubilation 25, and own a bottle. I think it's a beauty. It's true that it's not a sillage monster, but it's one of those perfumes that make you happy just knowing you're wearing them.

Oh, yes! If I can find a deal on Jubilation, I will certainly buy it!

UPDATE: Thanks for the tip, Lizzie!
    I found it for 50.00 AND I had a 25.00 off coupon, so got quite a deal!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 31st January 2009 at 02:43 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I just got the Lyric sample I ordered from Luckyscent, and I was a little disappointed in it. I was trying SL Iris Silver Mist on one hand, and Lyric on the other, and the Lyric lost in that contest (not that they're anything alike). The Lyric dried down to pure musk on me - not one of my favorite categories. On the other hand, if you're looking for a musk that is the complete opposite of the drug store variety, I'd say Lyric is your fragrance.

I do own Gold, and both 25 and XXV. Love all three. 25 Reminds me more of Mitsouko than Femme, and its not short-lived or lacking in sillage on me.

Blog Entries

I agree w/ Perfume Addict. Lyric was the most intense dirty musk on me. Not at all my thing.