Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Question reformulations better than the original

Not sure if this has been asked before but is it even possible
    that there are some perfumes and cologne that have been tinkerd with, and the end result is better than the one it's replacing

Just a question.

Default Re: reformulations better than the original

I have read few threads about trussardi uomo and that the new one versus the old is crap.

Also about tsar paco rabanne, and alot of others that I have smelled, but have not smelled those they are replacing.

i cannot compare since i don't know what the vintage smells like.

I do like what I smell with what is out there now

I'm sure there may be some out there that think a reformulation is an improvement but I haven't yet come across one that I like better or even equally.
    I think that people tolerate the reformulation because the alternative would be to give up the scent altogether if one doesn't still have a vintage bottle. Otherwise, the scent may appeal to those who have never tried the original.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I'm sure there may be some out there that think a reformulation is an improvement but I haven't yet come across one that I like better or even equally.
    I think that people tolerate the reformulation because the alternative would be to give up the scent altogether if one doesn't still have a vintage bottle. Otherwise, the scent may appeal to those who have never tried the original.
    Stands to reason....and well put too.

My opinion is that the quality of ingredients that are used in the vintage formulations are superior ( in some ways) to the newer versions. Some they can't use at all anymore and I guess partly to blame is that some houses just don't care since new customers will buy anyway having never experienced the original.

When the reformulation is made to correct a previous reformulation, yes. But when it weakens the original statement, it is always for the worse. This is obvious, no?

Off-Scenter

If Amouage Gold for Men, which I've long reviled, has indeed been reformulated, then I far prefer the new version. If not, my taste has altered radically.

Blog Entries

having tried several vintage versions of my favourite fragrance----Knize Ten---i can honestly say that my favourite one is actually knize ten golden edition which is not JUST a reformulation----BUT it's a reformulation of a reformulation!

so i definitely enjoy the reformulated current Knize Ten more than the vintage...which i find a little too powdery and soft.......but i enjoy the reformulation of the reformulation even more! if that makes any sense....

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    having tried several vintage versions of my favourite fragrance----Knize Ten---i can honestly say that my favourite one is actually knize ten golden edition which is not JUST a reformulation----BUT it's a reformulation of a reformulation!

so i definitely enjoy the reformulated current Knize Ten more than the vintage...which i find a little too powdery and soft.......but i enjoy the reformulation of the reformulation even more! if that makes any sense....
    That was a mouthful.....and understandable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post

Where the hell did you find that stuff? When was the Golden Edition made? Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Where the hell did you find that stuff? When was the Golden Edition made? Sounds interesting.
    One can get this from this website in Germany....

http://www.jebe.de/Drogeriemarkt/Dro...=30098&p=30098

seems Polo Modern is pleasing everyone. I have not received my bottle yet, should be here in short and I will let you know my opinion
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I think the Envy reformulation is better, the original one was too close to L'Instant for me.

AromiErotici

It is good to hear from members that some frags are actually being improved as opposed to being decimated.

Thumbs up Re: reformulations better than the original

Well by coincidence I am able to answer this question today.
    I have just sampled Montana Parfum d'Homme (1989) which came in a red box. It is a complex green scent, quite old-school in a powerful, leathery-patchouli way.
    That scent was discontinued and reformulated as Montana pour Homme (2001) in a dark blue box. This is a simpler green scent, more translucent and fresher... and greener. The simplification has resulted in a better focus on the green elements, which I love.
    They each have their good points, and are worthy scents. My taste favors the newer formulation, it suits me more than the original.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Fahrenheit,
    Antaeus,
    Knize ten
    Gucci Pour Homme.
    Habit Rouge. Actually both formulations (EDC and EDT) are good.

And here is where someone gets offended and tries to prove me wrong
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Well by coincidence I am able to answer this question today.
    I have just sampled Montana Parfum d'Homme (1989) which came in a red box. It is a complex green scent, quite old-school in a powerful, leathery-patchouli way.
    That scent was discontinued and reformulated as Montana pour Homme (2001) in a dark blue box. This is a simpler green scent, more translucent and fresher... and greener. The simplification has resulted in a better focus on the green elements, which I love.
    They each have their good points, and are worthy scents. My taste favors the newer formulation, it suits me more than the original.
    I have to agree with you, but in a different way, odysseusm! I prefer the reformulated Montana Parfum d'Homme (also red box, not blue box). But I do like both!!!!!

I have never tried the blue box kind.
    Last edited by Aiona; 31st January 2009 at 01:23 AM.

I'm not offended, but I personally disagree on the Fahrenheit reformulation assessment. I suppose if you prefer a milder fragrance, the new version is better. I happen to have a older bottle of Fahrenheit and it's some hissy, gassy strong stuff. The new juice is nice but much more tame.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I'm not offended, but I personally disagree on the Fahrenheit reformulation assessment.
    That is cool.
    The original is good in a daring, conceptual way. Violets, jalapenos and gasoline I find the new one to be much more balanced, wearable, aesthetically pleasing and elegant.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I'm not offended, but I personally disagree on the Fahrenheit reformulation assessment. I suppose if you prefer a milder fragrance, the new version is better. I happen to have a older bottle of Fahrenheit and it's some hissy, gassy strong stuff. The new juice is nice but much more tame.
    Ditto.

If you're interested, Irish, I would love to swap a brand new 100 ml/3.4 oz bottle of the actual Fahrenheit formulation for a bottle of the older formulation - ANY size.

But the new stuff is still wearable... just not the aggressive beast that it was before. I happen to prefer aggressive beasts, go figure

I think the reasons that most reformulations are less good than the original is that many of them are done because the original ingredients become prohibitively expensive or legally restricted. Such a situation will, at best, result in no change, and likely a change for the worse.

I do think the category of corrective re-reformulation that Ruggles mentions is an interesting one. How frequently does this happen? I've read that Bandit went through an apparently terrible reformulation before returning with the present, quite good rereformulation (having only smelled the current EdP, I don't know how it compares to the original or the first reformulation).

Of course there's another reason for reformulation that will usually (if not always) result in a lesser perfume: changing a scent to meet perceived market demand. Such reformulations tend to make distinctive fragrances less so. And that's usually a bad thing.

Not really a reformulation, but I prefer the Edition Blanche to the original Allure.

Flanker better than the original, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Not really a reformulation, but I prefer the Edition Blanche to the original Allure.

Flanker better than the original, I guess
    That would be another interesting thread: flankers better than the original.

AromiErotici

I may be remiss on this, but if Antaeus Sport is a reformulation of sorts, then I must recommend the Sport version over that of the Original Antaeus.

It is a little deeper smelling than regular Antaeus which is odd for a "Sport" version of any frag, but it is what it is and I like it better than the original. It's a richer and more complex scent.

I think that the reformulated Givenchy Gentleman is a better scent in some ways, at any rate. Although it is less dramatic and less animalic, the new forumulation is better balanced for a longer period of time. I love both. It's possible that if I had to choose one I'd choose the reformulated version.