Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Whats your favorite geometric shape for bottles? Whats your perfect bottle?

I find square, gem-like bottles to be very classy. Prada's infusion d'homme impressed me in this regard (though I have yet to decide how I feel about the fragrance itself). And I wonder somethings, has anyone released anything in a pyramid-type bottle?

However, I am fascinated by spherical bottles, especially ones that have no base, and sort of tilt about, naturally coming to rest in their center of gravity. I love that about Bulgari Aqua, and DKNY's be delicious perfume. The green makes the entire bottle seem like a bright little jewel. My perfect bottle would probably a sphere, resting naturally with a well-placed center of balance, made of a bright sparkling glass or crystal. The sprayer mechanism, save for just the straw, would be crystal as well. Higher quality plastic would make the straw less visible.

Default Re: Whats your favorite geometric shape for bottles? Whats your perfect bottle?

I'm a sucker for artsy bottles that make me feel intellectual and edgy, haha. One that really comes to mind (though I don't own the fragrance) is Encre Noir. Very simple and sophisticated. I also like my Gucci Envy for Men bottle and my Burberry London for Men bottle for the same reason. They stand out without being obnoxious.

Post Re: Whats your favorite geometric shape for bottles? Whats your perfect bottle?

J&B
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Banned

Default Re: Whats your favorite geometric shape for bottles? Whats your perfect bottle?

The by Kilian bottles feel very good in the hand.

I particularly like the rectangular bottles with the rounded shoulders used by Etro. Very classy, nicely balanced, IMO. Here's an example:

Favorite geometric shape for cologne bottle: hypercube.

I like perfumes for its contents not the bottle. I store them in the fridge on the fridge door shelf. I am also obsessed with efficiency.

As such, my ideal bottles are:

- Thin aluminum/steel (but with a plastic glass gauge on one side so I can see the level contents)

- Rectangular and thin so that I can stack a dozen of them on that shelf (currently only 7 can be stacked)

- Near-hermetically sealed cap

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I particularly like the rectangular bottles with the rounded shoulders used by Etro. Very classy, nicely balanced, IMO.
    Couldn't agree more about ETRO bottles, I love them too. Here's my favorite:

I love the simplicity of the design, very geometric and art-deco with it's skyscraper-esque lines, which are also on the cap. (It also happens to be my favorite fragrance at the moment!) This bottle reminds me of an old 1930's-era glass decanter set I used to have for my bar.
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    Couldn't agree more about ETRO bottles, I love them too...
    I love the simplicity of the design, very geometric and art-deco with it's skyscraper-esque lines, which are also on the cap. (It also happens to be my favorite fragrance at the moment!) This bottle reminds me of an old 1930's-era glass decanter set I used to have for my bar.
    Ooh, that IS beautiful!!!

Blog Entries

Square Bottles Like Chanel No 5
    i think that square bottles are beautiful and elegant.

In general, I like simple, clear glass bottles.

However, I cannot stand the Aqva bottle. It takes up so much space horizontally. I hate it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I like most stocky bottles-- and hate the tall, thin ones or thin, flat ones that tip over easily! I keep mine in our mini fridge, on glass shelves, and am forever knocking over some while reaching for another.

Duplicato

Armani Code Pour Homme fits in my hand perfectly!!!
    I also Love the Bond No.9 Bottles and they fit in my hand very well.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    In general, I like simple, clear glass bottles.

However, I cannot stand the Aqva bottle. It takes up so much space horizontally. I hate it.
    i actually love the aqua bottle since i keep my scents in a drawer and aqua is the only one that won't (can't) topple.

Jivago Seven Elements has a bit of a pyramid look to it. As far as preference goes, probably something along the lines of the Swiss Army Altitude fire extinguisher bottle.

Square/rectangular/spherical bottles are best in my opinion because they are easier to get my hands around.

I like bottles of:

Acqua di Parma

Hermes Perfumes (equipage, bel ami, hermessence)

Frederic Malle

Tom Ford Private Blend

L'artisan Parfumeur

I like the art deco style bottles. The Serge Lutens bottles are perfect I think, but their new graphic design is kinda fail.

My favorite bottles are Montana's Parfum de Peau, Ricci's L'air du Temps & Chanel's No. 5. I'm not wildly impressed with any men's bottles.

Why, a gyroelongated square bipyramid. What else?

Personally I love the shape of the black L'Arte di Gucci Eau de Parfum bottles; they're easily my favorite shape, aesthetically speaking.

I also really quite like the new Tauer bottles, despite their generally getting a lukewarm reception.

In a practical sense, I prefer stable, squat bottles that don't tip over easy.

Blog Entries

The Thierry Mugler star theme is something i find very interesting. I absolutely love the way all the Angel-based bottles look

+1 on the Malle bottles.

I'm generally cool with rectagular with classic lines, although I can appreciate the more unorthodox ones....two that come to mind ar Rocahs Man and Vicky Tiel Ulysses

Visually I like simple but distinctive designs. A couple of favorites:

Costume National (the curved forms feel great in the hand)

The Different Company

Functionally, I dislike tall thin/narrow bottles that are in constant danger of toppling over (Yohji Homme, Body Kouros, large bottles in the Parfum d'Empire line, and to a lesser extent Serge Lutens bottles -- I see an SA knock over one Lutens when reaching for another on approximately half of my visits to the shops where they're sold)
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

I love Serge Lutens, but I hate their domino formations one finds them in at stores! Once I set a whole selection of them in motion and only managed to save them by lunging forward and grabbing the whole lot in a big hug. I could have done without those looks from the SA's!

Oh yeah, and Serge Lutens.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Visually I like simple but distinctive designs. A couple of favorites:

The Different Company

Functionally, I dislike tall thin/narrow bottles that are in constant danger of toppling over (Yohji Homme, Body Kouros, large bottles in the Parfum d'Empire line, and to a lesser extent Serge Lutens bottles -- I see an SA knock over one Lutens when reaching for another on approximately half of my visits to the shops where they're sold)
    You speak my mind.

I love TDC bottles, all the different kinds. I hear they're professional designers? Makes sense. They're great to look at, great to grip, great to twist open and shut (the Long Trips and 48s)

Serge Lutens definitely are great to look at when they are lined up. Lovely slim uniform bottles with different colored centres! But like Yohjis, they give me a mini-coronary each time I knock them over (which happens often) trying to reach for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I love Serge Lutens, but I hate their domino formations one finds them in at stores! Once I set a whole selection of them in motion and only managed to save them by lunging forward and grabbing the whole lot in a big hug. I could have done without those looks from the SA's!

Yes! Tell me about it, they are dominos. I hit one over, and desperately try to save it, but in the process I clumsily knock the rest over as well. They are great to look at, but are an administrative nightmare.

I basically enjoy the uniformity of bottle collections. In particular TDC and Lutens.
    Last edited by MFJ; 8th October 2010 at 08:09 AM.

Square

DeepSilence

Tom Ford Private collections.
    240 ml Creeds
    Linari
    Parfum d'Empire

I don't like very strange bottles
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 9th October 2010 at 07:46 PM.

I Like the Villoresi bottles.

Also Frederic Malle.

Simple stuff, really - Lutens, HdP, Goutal Mens, Amouage Man (altho the tops are a bit fussy - mind you MPG have to be the worst).

I'm also the only person here who is PERFECTLY HAPPY with the Parfums de Nicolai Men's bottles - 100ml and 30ml.

Hermessences and TDC travel sizes are also both cool.

I think Dior Homme is one of the most perfectly designed bottles. Simple and elegant.

Mind you having said that I love Coriolan's bottle.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Epic Man. A shame it isn't refillable.

I like something thin in the middle, feels more ergonomic:

Conversely, what doesn't work for me is when it's so wide that I can't comfortably grip in one hand, such as something like this:

The most unusual shape in male fragrance bottle that i like is Giordani man by Oriflame !it's pyramid bottle :
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I don't like the simple hard edged square bottles like Serge, Dior (although unique), Prada, etc. They're just hard and uncomfortable in my hand. I like interesting shapes or curves.

Last edited by Master-Classter; 8th October 2010 at 02:53 PM.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Love the Elsa Peretti "pinch" bottles for Halston.

While there is no perfect shape for my ideal fragrance bottle, I do like rectangular fragrance bottles very much

My perfect bottle would have to be something very classic and simple up to the point of being austere, like the ones for Knize Ten or
    No. 5

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Chanels classic bottles are immaculate!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Chanels classic bottles are immaculate!

I second that. Simple, yet classy.

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    And I wonder somethings, has anyone released anything in a pyramid-type bottle?
    Givenchy Pi is somewhat pyramidal, and I like it a lot.

While I appreciate the practicality of a non-tipping and easily stored compact square bottle, I love the Pi bottle. Actually, it was the fragrance that started me on this hobby. If it wasn't for the beauty of the bottle, I might never have pushed the button...

double post, sorry

A) Who would not love a mens frag in the iconic Chanel bottle? Why are they (Chanel) resisting this?!
    2) A strong second vote here for the nearly forgotten, aforementioned Halston bottles by Elsa Peretti.

Copper flask that will patina with age.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

I just don't want bottles to tip over easily. Other than that, I don't care about the aesthetics of bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by JdPlumby View Post
    I'm a sucker for artsy bottles that make me feel intellectual and edgy, haha. One that really comes to mind (though I don't own the fragrance) is Encre Noir. Very simple and sophisticated. I also like my Gucci Envy for Men bottle and my Burberry London for Men bottle for the same reason. They stand out without being obnoxious.
    I agree. Simple, chic.

My favorite thus far is from Parfum d'Empire, those simple, tall, cylindrical bottles. Excellent.

L'Artisan Parfumeur has excellent bottles too.

What I don't like are what I call the "Bill Board Bottles," those which are very wide and paper-thin deep. They try to make 50mL look as big as they can. They try to take up as much horizontal shelf space as possible. But then end up so thin that they tip over. Tom Ford Grey Vetver is the worst; I love this fragrance, but the bottle just falls over at the slightest touch.

Sur la Plage

This is my favorite shape:

Last edited by petruccijc; 10th October 2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Actually, I wish more masuline fragrances came in interesting (but stable) bottles. Vicky Tiel Ulysse is very attractive. So is Minotaure and Lolita Lempika. Do people 'hate' these?

So I guess I'm torn. I really apreciate the simple and clean Etro bottles, but I don't think I'd want a cabinet full of them.

Haha Joe, I wondered if someone would go there!
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

i like rectangular bottles with the cap beeing recabgular too ..... D&G the one is an example.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Haha Joe, I wondered if someone would go there!
    I always go there.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like the CDG standard bottles.

I like very plain clear bottles with large simple type for the label. Remove the extra design things on the bottle and reduce it down to simplicity so I can concentrate on the juice. Deconstruct it as far as I'm concerned. Chanel Exclusifs are a perfect example of the ideal bottle.

I would prefer the simple Spherical bottles, similar to L'artisan Parfumeur.
    one of the most annoying bottles for me to spray was the Solo Loewe 125ml bottle, its just too big.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

+1 on L'arte di Gucci edp bottle. Looks like a sculpted block of onyx.

Most functional: 1oz Grey Flannel.
    (Fits perfectly in the palm with easy access to the nozzle to spray from. Not much of a looker though.)
    Armani Code is also easy to handle, but looks like a cheap bottle of anti-perspirant.

Iconic but unwieldy: Chanel classic bottle

Elegant but prone to toppling: Serge Lutens

Topple-free but takes way too much floor space: pebble-shaped ones like CdG Man, Bulgari Aqua

Good balance between form & function: Dior Homme

I find the L'Artisan bottle simplistic but I HATE the garish, cheap looking labels! It's probably why I've yet to buy a bottle.

And I also like the looks of those Etro bottles - quite vintage-looking.

I LOVE L'Artisan's bottles. They're great. I think I tend to enjoy clean lines, something classy, yet minimalistic and attractively neat.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense