Code of Conduct

Default I can't help but reflect on my new found obsession.

Today marked a milestone in my obsession with fragrances. For the very first time in my life, I paid over $100 for a single bottle of fragrance. I know some of you probably drop that much a couple times a week, but a month ago, the most I had ever spent on a fragrance for myself was under $8. To go from that, to dropping $100 on 1.7 ml of liquid is a big deal for me and my wallet. Don't get me wrong, I have no remorse, it is just a bit shocking for me. Anyways, all kinds of death was about to hit less than yards away, and still it's hard to take my eyes off her.

If you are wondering what it is, well, I am not telling you

j.k.
    Tom Ford's Private Blend Tobacco Vanille from a split.

AromiErotici

Default Re: I can't help but reflect on my new found obsession.

Welcome to the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    Today marked a milestone in my obsession with fragrances. For the very first time in my life, I paid over $100 for a single bottle of fragrance. I know some of you probably drop that much a couple times a week, but a month ago, the most I had ever spent on a fragrance for myself was under $8. To go from that, to dropping $100 on 1.7 ml of liquid is a big deal for me and my wallet.
    Well yeah 3 months ago I'd never pay over $100 on a single bottle of frag too. But a few hundred dollars later, I still refuse to pay anything more than $1 per milliliter. That means for full bottles, I'll have to stick with the more expensive designer brands and never go into niche territory. :P

Ironically my most expensive single purchase to date (2 bottles Prada IdI) on a per ml basis are the cheapest in my collection (110 AU$/ 85 US$ for each 200 ml bottle).

Blog Entries

I discovered something rather strange - I started buying fragrances and all of a sudden, I had more money. I finally figured out where it was coming from.

(1) Fewer books. Spending more time studying perfume on the web has caused me to spend less money on books.

(2) Less eating out. Fragrance seems to satisfy a certain craving that smoking once satisfied, and which was later satisfied by fine dining, after I quit smoking. I am simply eating less.

So I'm thinner, better-smelling, and have more money. But when I compare the price of an expensive fragrance every couple of weeks, with the amount I was spending on books and restaurants weekly, I can definitely see where the savings are coming from.

Moral: Buy more fragrance!

Congratulations!!! btw I joined you on the split and cannot wait for it to be here as well

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I discovered something rather strange - I started buying fragrances and all of a sudden, I had more money. I finally figured out where it was coming from.

(1) Fewer books. Spending more time studying perfume on the web has caused me to spend less money on books.
    Mm. . . I see a parallel in my own finances, RP. Sailboats and sailing gear are a lot more expensive than perfumes. And I can still spray perfume when the lake is iced over. (Although ice-sailing can be fun, I'm told!)

L'Air Du Desert Marocain?
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I remember when I finally dropped some big bucks on GIT and thought this would was it, my holy grail moment ... but after a week or so, I sold it because the lasting power was about an hour on my skin. More money doesn't guarantee a better frag.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Like Pringles -- once you pop, you can't stop. Enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by moltening; 31st January 2009 at 07:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Mm. . . I see a parallel in my own finances, RP. Sailboats and sailing gear are a lot more expensive than perfumes. And I can still spray perfume when the lake is iced over. (Although ice-sailing can be fun, I'm told!)
    And you can even spray salty and ozonic scents like Sel de Vétiver and Red Sky and it might feel like you're sailing under awesome conditions!

Yes, sailboats could be pretty expensive. I could try ice-sailing here right now. Can't wait for summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    And you can even spray salty and ozonic scents like Sel de Vétiver and Red Sky and it might feel like you're sailing under awesome conditions!
    Sailing on a rocky iceberg, maybe?

Your review of Red Sky made me curious. I've rockclimbed in the past, but never to such heights that I noticed any particular smell. I'd be curious to know if there was a scent that could recall bruised and bleeding knuckles and scraped knees. Or the thrill of reaching the (rather low) point I was aiming for.

Spending $100+ on something that will give you months or years of pleasure seems like a good investment to me. It is an interesting moral barrier to break, after all, to other people this sought of purchase may be deemed as madness. The next level will be the $100 plus blind purchase