Code of Conduct

Default Perfumes that Men should know

In your opinion, ladys, what would you say are the essential female fragrances that every man should know about?
    Last edited by urgetopurge; 19th December 2008 at 07:50 PM.

Default Re: Perfumes that Men should know (repeat)

Here is a thread with individual women's top 10 favorites, which was posted a few years ago:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...&highlight=top

For more of the same, go to Search, Advanced.
    Type in the words Favorite, Top, Best (and other similar terms).
    Limit to Female Frangrance Discussion or Male Fragrance Discussion.
    It will take some time, but you should end up with quite a few "Best of" or "Top 100" lists
    Last edited by purplebird7; 19th December 2008 at 03:32 PM.

Might it be this one?

"These are the fragrances every newcomer must try"

There is also this one:

"Five All-Time "Feminine" Classics every man should try once"

I don't know if either of these is recent enough to be the one you're thinking of, though.
    Last edited by tang; 19th December 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Addition
    Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Might it be this one?

"These are the fragrances every newcomer must try"

There is also this one:

"Five All-Time "Feminine" Classics every man should try once"

I don't know if either of these is recent enough to be the one you're thinking of, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Here is a thread with individual women's top 10 favorites, which was posted a few years ago:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...&highlight=top

For more of the same, go to Search, Advanced.
    Type in the words Favorite, Top, Best (and other similar terms).
    Limit to Female Frangrance Discussion or Male Fragrance Discussion.
    It will take some time, but you should end up with quite a few "Best of" or "Top 100" lists
    These help a lot but they are still not what I was looking for. I keep searching and searching but I cannot find this one topic. Well i might as well make it into a topic now.

Default Re: Perfumes that Men should know

Are you speaking of traditionally women's fragrances that would be suitable for a man to wear?

Quote Originally Posted by zestyfresh View Post
    Are you speaking of traditionally women's fragrances that would be suitable for a man to wear?
    No, Im asking what are some women's perfumes that men should be able to identify if a woman were to walk up to him with a certain fragrance on.

Quote Originally Posted by urgetopurge View Post
    No, Im asking what are some women's perfumes that men should be able to identify if a woman were to walk up to him with a certain fragrance on.
    you mean like Al Pacino in that scene from Scent of a Woman when he identifies Fleur de Rocaille?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    you mean like Al Pacino in that scene from Scent of a Woman when he identifies Fleur de Rocaille?
    EXACTLY! Amazingly, I was thinking of the same exact thing. But I'm asking for the most common types that any man should know easily.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by urgetopurge View Post
    Ah, now that's a much more interesting question! In fact, I'm not sure I've seen its like show up on the boards over the past year or so. I don't know if I agree with "should know" in your original wording, but some feminine scents that I imagine men might be most familiar with and able to identify would include Chanel No. 5, Shalimar, Fracas, White Linen, Joy, and Rive Gauche, and of course...Angel.

Some of us who are more, um, "mature" might also recognize classics like Mitsouko, Apres l'Ondee, L'Heure Bleue, Diorissimo, Habanita, and Bandit, along with popular 1980s-style "power scents" like Giorgio, Opium, Poison, and Obsession. I imagine the young'ns might more likely recognize things like Tommy Girl, CKbe, and that ilk.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 21st December 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Yegads, my husband groups all fragrances into three types: cookies, bug spray and dryer sheets. He does respond favorably to a few of mine but when pressed for detals just asks if I've changed shampoo or fabric softeners. Are some men just frag-obtuse?
    Last edited by idthornell; 23rd December 2008 at 12:43 AM.

Some probably are... This is why I want to announce to young ladies here that I am a young single man who owns many good feminine fragrance so uh... we could share :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Ah, now that's a much more interesting question! In fact, I'm not sure I've seen its like show up on the boards over the past year or so. I don't know if I agree with "should know" in your original wording, but some feminine scents that I imagine men might be most familiar with and able to identify would include Chanel No. 5, Shalimar, Fracas, White Linen, Joy, and Rive Gauche, and of course...Angel.

Some of us who are more, um, "mature" might also recognize classics like Mitsouko, Apres l'Ondee, L'Heure Bleue, Diorissimo, Habanita, and Bandit, along with popular 1980s-style "power scents" like Giorgio, Opium, Poison, and Obsession. I imagine the young'ns might more likely recognize things like Tommy Girl, CKbe, and that ilk.
    Hmm... Very interesting. I'll be sure to look those up next time I'm at the store.
    Thank you very much

Common, popular, or iconic feminine fragrances:

Guerlain Shalimar
    GBH Giorgio
    Dior Poison & Hypnotic Poison
    Yves Saint Laurent Opium
    Theirry Mugler (sp?) Angel
    CK Eternity
    Clinque Happy
    Donna Karan Cashmere Mist
    Patou Joy
    BBW Cucumber Melon (particularly American)
    CK Obsession
    Chanel No 5
    Piguet Fracas
    Estee Lauder Pleasures
    Jovan White Musk (again, may be more an American thing)
    Philosophy Amazing Grace
    Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
    Chanel Allure
    Annick Goutal Petite Cherie
    Chanel Coco
    Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
    Elizabeth Arden Red Door
    Last edited by leffleur; 1st February 2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Add house/brand

Some of these lists are leaning toward classics rather than what women are wearing all the time right now--I'm not sure whether you're looking for scents that are iconic or just ones you're more likely to run into. In either case, of the newer scents I'd add Narciso Rodriguez For Her and SJP Lovely (they are similar and there are many imitations of both).

Another approach is to familiarize yourself with TYPES of women's scents. I would be very impressed if my husband smelled something I wore and instead of saying "hmm, powdery" (which is what he usually says) he said "that's a very nice chypre."

I don't really think there are any scents you *should* know and if you recognized a woman's perfume, she might be turned off thinking you smelled it on a former lover, frankly. Most of us don't want to smell identifiable or common. "Mmmmm, you smell good" would work. But the first paragraph in Vibert's list would be the *classics* I would suggest, if you are interested. A lot of younger women don't wear those, though. I doubt Caron is even on most of their radar screens, but Allure Sensuelle by Chanel, Givenchy Very Irresistible, TM Angel, Dior Hypnotic Poison, Bvlgari Omnia or Guerlain Insolence might be. Newer offerings from those lines, iow.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I don't really think there are any scents you *should* know and if you recognized a woman's perfume, she might be turned off thinking you smelled it on a former lover, frankly. Most of us don't want to smell identifiable or common.
    Good point. BUT if some guy managed to correctly identify my, oh, I don't know... Tam Dao or Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, he'd have my attention to be sure! I'd be flabbergasted.
    But of course, I'd think that funny exactly because those are extremely unusual scents, speaking for the general public. I figure I would keep the ex-factor in mind if someone recognized the more commonly used scents I own, like Jil Sander Sun or MJ Blush.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Good point. BUT if some guy managed to correctly identify my, oh, I don't know... Tam Dao or Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, he'd have my attention to be sure! I'd be flabbergasted.
    But of course, I'd think that funny exactly because those are extremely unusual scents, speaking for the general public. I figure I would keep the ex-factor in mind if someone recognized the more commonly used scents I own, like Jil Sander Sun or MJ Blush.
    Oh, definitely, I agree! But the more common ones, no, and some younger ladies might even think he recognized his mother's scents if it was one of the classics. Seen enough "OL" comments on those, if you know what I mean.

I think I would prefer to ask what the perfume was and enjoy the conversation, rather than appear like a combination of Hannibal Lecter and Niles Crane, already knowing scents by heart.

These are all good points.....and I think that's part of what I was getting at about being able to recognize and talk about certain "types" of women's scents or even common notes. It might lead to a more interesting conversation about the fragrance without the creepy ex-girlfriend/mother overtones.