Code of Conduct

Thread: Discontinued?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Discontinued?

There are a few fragrances I've been thinking about trying that I've noticed seem to be getting harder and harder to find, but the directory doesn't list any of these three as discontinued. Does anybody know if they have been? The three I'm talking about are Tumulte PH, Salvadore Dali PH, and Eau d'Hermes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Discontinued?

Salvador PH I can get over here, I have not idea if it can be old stock, yet still available.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Tony,

Not sure about the other two, but Eau d'Hermes is still shown on the Hermes website.

Eau d'Hermes is very much available...and very worth trying. It's currently one of my favorites, though it is really a love-it-or-hate-it frag. Someone on another thread called it the perfume equivalent of Marmite...and as a Marmite lover, I totally agree!

While we're on the general subject of discontinued fragrances, I've been amazed at how often SAs will confidently tell you that a fragrance has been discontinued when it simply has not. This happened to me at two Guerlain boutiques in regards to Jicky EdP. I've read on other threads that at the Dunhill store in NYC, they'll tell you that Dunhill for Men has been discontinued, which also may not be the case. On a recent Indole thread, someone reported Roja Dove saying that a number of non-discontinued Indoles have been discontinued. Whether out of ignorance or a desire to make a quick sale, this kind of thing is very aggravating. I wouldn't want to count on SAs for much, but I'd like to think that they can be counted on for telling me what is and isn't available and what will and won't be available in the future. Apparently they can't. The most you can conclude from an SA saying that a fragrance is discontinued is that they're out of stock and want to sell you something else.
    Last edited by PhinClio; 31st January 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by levente View Post
    Tony,

Not sure about the other two, but Eau d'Hermes is still shown on the Hermes website.
    Thanks for checking that out. Unfortunately, that's not always a clear indicator, though. The Geoffrey Beene site still lists Bowling Green, for example.

Tony,

Given that Bowling Green is readily available these days, I think that is evidence that it hasn't been discontinued (or, at least, that it has been brought back into production), regardless of what the Basenotes directory might say.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there are many scents listed on BN as "discontinued" that in fact are still in production (or were brought back into production). The manufacturer's website is usually reliable, although sometimes those sites are not well maintained or difficult to navigate.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 31st January 2009 at 09:03 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Yes, there are many scents listed on BN as "discontinued" that in fact are still in production (or were brought back into production). The manufacturer's website is usually reliable, although sometimes those sites are not well maintained or difficult to navigate.
    The Parfums Salvador Dali website still lists Salvador Dali PH. While the Christian Lacroix site still lists Tumulte, when you click on it, a blank screen pops up. (When you click on the names of his other frags, a screen describing them comes up.) So if the companies' websites can be trusted, it looks like Tumulte is the one of the three that is most likely being discontinued.

Post Thanks / Like

Eau d'Hermes is definitely still available, and if you're interested in an online source PM me because I've found one. Hermes' website lists it for $105/100ml, which is absurd.

In addition to PhinClio's theory of SAs wanting to sell you something else, SAs may also tell you something is discontinued in hopes you'll panic and buy on the spot (if it's in stock). I had an SA try to tell me that Fahrenheit was discontinued, to which I replied, "Really? You'd think Dior would keep what's been a global best seller for 20 years." They obviously wanted me to buy the Fahrenheit I was testing at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I had an SA try to tell me that Fahrenheit was discontinued, to which I replied, "Really? You'd think Dior would keep what's been a global best seller for 20 years." They obviously wanted me to buy the Fahrenheit I was testing at the time.
    Funny you mention Fahrenheit... many customers kept asking for it at the local Macy's, asking "where has it been?", and they brought it back to the local shelves this past Christmas. They happened to add Fahrenheit 32 and Dior Homme Sport as well, too, and all of those Dior men's scents have been selling quite well.

As for other scents: One person at Von Maur several years ago mentioned to a customer that Givenchy's Organza Indecence was discontinued, and said that was pulled off all store shelves. Afterwards, I checked Ulta, in the same shopping center, and saw several bottles of the juice. Other times, SAs are more honest: an SA at Macy's simply said to a customer recently that Valentino V Pour Homme was simply no longer available at their store, and to check online or locally at Von Maur. And for years, until Von Maur started doing business with BPI USA/Shiseido Cosmetics America last year, when someone asked for a Jean Paul Gaultier, Issey Miyake, or John Varvatos fragrance (all BPI products), their SAs referred them to other stores that carried the brands. (At the same time, their SAs were literally begging their fragrance buyer to start doing business with BPI due to the sheer amount of requests.)
    Last edited by MFfan310; 1st February 2009 at 07:59 PM.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

I'd say you should get Tumulte PH now if you can find it at a reasonable price, whereas the others I wouldn't worry about for at least a year.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st February 2009 at 08:13 PM.