Code of Conduct

Default Buyer's remorse after a purchase!

So I purchased Thallium by Jacques Evard (whoever that is) 2 days ago, and I'm experiencing a bit of buyer's remorse. I shouldn't have bought it in the first place, because I wasn't wild about it like my other purchases, but I thought it was nice enough, and the sales associates were quite likable, so I didn't want to disappoint them by not buying anything. Besides-I wasted about 3 hours of their time deciding on somethin, so I figured they'd be really ticked off if I didn't leave with something. But I wasn't sure about the Thallium and asked about the Gucci Envy. The SA felt like I could do better with the Thallium, and to prove it, he asked two SAs from a neighboring store to choose between the two. They both went with the Thallium. Plus, the SA said it was the best-seller in the store. So, I took a chance and bought it for $39.99 plus tax. This is before consulting with my fellow basenoters. So...I purchased it, later got home and searched around for some reviews. I found a few on some websites here and there, but not much. Those few reviews that I did see were favorable.

What surprised me is how inexpensive it is relative to my purchase price. I see it online for $20 or less. $20 or less!!! Those mothalovas ripped me off!!!!!! What makes it worse is I don't even buy colognes in store because I KNOW the prices are usually better online! But I said I'd do somethin different this time. Shoulda gone with what works. Anyways, as for the fragrance..I think it could be a little stronger. It's not a bad fragrance, but really, it ain't spectacular. I don't feel the same about it as I do my last purchases, and I hate that. I got buyer's remorse friends! I wish I could swap it for something else...a half bottle of Envy, Terre D'hermes, Declaration, or something! I dunno guys...maybe it'll grow on me like I guess the Dior homme did. But right now, I just feel like I shoulda gone with the Declaration that I was getting ready to buy before the SAs persuaded me to get something more unique.
    Why did I listen?
    Anywho...buyer's remorse anyone?

Default Re: Buyer's remorse after a purchase!

One thing to keep in mind is that you have chosen one of a million out there when buying a fragrance.
    If it's that good that I purchase it, there won't be the slightest remorse.
    Money is also a great point. If you get remorse because you spent that much, better don't buy fragrances at all. It's addictive!
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

We've all had buyer's remorse about a frgrance. Don't beat yourself up about it, just consider it a learning experience and move on. If you're prone to browser's guilt at the brick and mortar stores, maybe you should restrict yourself to getting samples from online sources, at least for a while. Then you can go back to the fragrance counter when you have more confidence in your own taste and judgement.

Let this experience teach you, you didn't lose all that much. Feel free to browse and sample in stores, they are being paid to be there, you're not "wasting their time" if you don't buy anything. "Best seller" buttressed by endorsements from other stores? What did they telephone the other stores? It sounds like they really worked you over! When it's something I'm not sure I love the whether-I-can-get-rid-of-it without losing much money (or even making some) is always a factor to consider. If this experience makes you more cautious in the future it will have...paid for itself...

Some stores will take returns, try that and to heck with what those pushy SA's think. They shouldn't have tried to talk you out of what you wanted. Go ahead.

I used to buy things because of small store owners doting on me and making me feel guilty for not buying, after spending time looking around. I don't go in them, anymore. Shopping online gives me more time to think and compare prices and many of those small stores don't take returns for cash back, even if things are unopened. I got sick on something I sampled once and didn't realize it affected me that way until after I bought it and was driving down the road. I returned not five minutes later, she refused a refund, that did it! That just happened to me with a pair of shoes I didn't realize were ill fitting and they wouldn't give me my money back, either, even though I didn't wear them. Store credit, only, but I didn't want anything else at that time from either place. I don't want to hear any more whining from small stores about online shopping. We even have stores around here who charge more than retail price, because "it's the beach." I only give to charity.

But you aren't the first person on here to regret a purchase, most of us have, fortunately it didn't cost more. Hopefully, you will get your money back, don't be embarrassed if that store takes returns.
    Last edited by beachroses; 31st January 2009 at 09:18 PM.

LOL @ beachroses. It's so true... supporting small retailers is only worthwhile if the small retail owners are respectful and don't rip you off.

Although it's a bummer, one bad buy isn't the end of the world. I've bought expensive fragrances after I've done everything right - skin tested, gave it a couple hours, compared to other fragrances, walked away from the store, then came back to buy. After all that I still didn't like it when I got home!

S-happens. Live and learn.

I should add - if you're feeling pressure after taking a lot of the SAs time (which is what they count on), give them the line "I only buy after letting the fragrance settle on my skin for a couple hours. I'll be back to buy it in a little while"

I can empathise with how you are feeling right now, during the early years of buying I came home with lots of stuff that I really was not crazy about. Given how much it can cost you, it is quite a learning curve, and perhaps a necessary one. The SAs are highly skilled in making you feel guilty for taking their time and not buying anything. My strategy now is to let them know from the outset that I know what I am talking about, I know what I want, and I will buy it when I am ready.Your knowledge will almost certainly be greater than theirs. Good luck with your next purchase

Blog Entries

Larwiz - Cutecthulu is right - don't beat yourself up about it. Just learn from it. I went through the same thing.

We have a kiosk that displays a lot of "good" scents, but only puts "wtf?" stuff like Thallium on the counters. The one and only time I bought from them, they tried to bait-and-switch me to Thallium, too, but (fortunately) I resisted. The main reason was that it smelled like a bad version of Original Santal to me, and since I already had the Creed, why bother? However, I bought L'Eau par Kenzo, instead, and am fairly sure it's a counterfeit (cheap toilet-paper box, etc.). I'm not sure if the guys behind the counter know that at least some of their "real" frags aren't real, but they may not be privy to that information.

When I got home, I checked up on Thallium, and discovered that it's basically a Green Frisch Tweed type of thing. Yes, you would have been better off with the Gucci Envy. But I paid way more for fake Kenzo, so pat yourself on the back for not getting ripped off as bad as I did.

Oh, yeah - the store has a website, too, but it's just a klunker that doesn't work, so people will think they're legit. Smart.

Now there are some sharper folks who know how to play these players in these kiosks. They can deal these guys down on their "real" frags, and they know how to sniff out a fake if they show the real frag and slip you the fake. Personally, I don't trust either my nose or my poker eyes to be sharp enough to deal with these guys, and I'm not big on confrontation to get my money back. So I just accept the fact that I have to shop in a reputable store, be it online or B&M.

If you every want to spend an hour observing real scammers in action, park yourself near that kiosk for an hour. I did that, waiting for my wife one time, and it was very, very interesting. I will never shop there again.

Not all kiosks are like this one. And discount stores in malls, like Perfumania, are also great places to buy frags when they have a good deal on something you like. So I don't want to diss all these places. But I would be wary of any place that would switch you from Envy to Thallium. My only question at this point is whether the SAs from the neighboring store are getting a cut, or whether the guys in the kiosk are so good that they convinced their "convincers" that Thallium is actually better.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I should add - if you're feeling pressure after taking a lot of the SAs time (which is what they count on), give them the line "I only buy after letting the fragrance settle on my skin for a couple hours. I'll be back to buy it in a little while"
    This makes it very easy to walk away, and gives yourself sometime to reflect on the scent. I could never spray something on, and then buy it.

Thanx to everyone that chimed in. I'm so freakin upset because this motherf^*^*n Thallium doesn't seem to last for s*&t on my damn skin. I was in and out of the store twice, so it wasn't a matter of not being able to escape. I dunno...I guess when they kept saying that I'm thinking too much about this purchase, I kinda agreed that maybe this decision shouldn't be so time consuming. I mean I was literally there for over 2 hours. Then they reassured me that if I didn't like the fragrance, I could bring it back for an exchange. But silly me, I went home, ripped the packaging open, threw the trash in the garbage, and kept it moving, not thinking that buyer's remorse would set it. But it did. I got a sample of envy on my hand and I can still smell it loud and clear. This Thallium bulls**t though...even though I put on quite a bit, it is verrrry faint. I wish I had gone with something else, but this definetely was a damn learning experience. I wish I could get rid of this s**t! I'm usually verrrry careful about my selection of a fragrance. I'll test something several times on several different days before I actually purchase something, and aside from 2 fragrances out of the 17 I have-they've all been purchased online. But like most agree, this is a learning experience. I'm just mad that I got this big ass bottle of that Thallium and I have very little desire to actually wear it, other than to kinda confirm that I either don't like it or that it's "not bad".

If you don't want to wear the Thallium I'd keep the big old bottle around to remind you of this experience. Remember to take a look at it before every trip to the mall and maybe that will make it easier for you to walk away.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

They said you could exchange it, so go do it, if you still have the receipt. If not, I donate things to a thrift store that benefits a good cause and am clearing out a load right now to take. That might make you feel better.

I never heard of Thallium, wonder why people are pumping this and talking customers out of something else. That seems wierd, I'd never go back in that store again once you make your exchange.

Larwiz,

If your biggest bust on a fragrance purchase is only 39.99 plus tax, then you should be helping the rest of us Basenoters. I've made much bigger mistakes on niche stuff that cost 2 to 3 times what you spent. You just have to move on and hope the stuff grows on you, or an opportunity to "re-gift" it presents itself. You might turn out to be someone's hero with this Thallium one day.

Another related side note (and a tip for newbs) - never throw away the packaging. I ALWAYS open the box such that the cellophane doesn't rip and I save all the boxes in a giant hockey duffel in a storeroom. You never know when you're going to need those boxes. Whether you want to sell it later, return it to the store, or (in my case) box all your fragrances before evacuating for a hurricane, it can never hurt to have the boxes.

I recently saw an eBay seller selling tons of niche stuff, some of which was unused, and the person didn't have a single box.... even throwing away really nice presentation boxes. There's definitely a value-added when you have the original retail box.

I'm curious what kind of person has a problem disappointing an employee of some faceless business by plunking down $40 on something you really don't enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    They said you could exchange it, so go do it, if you still have the receipt. If not, I donate things to a thrift store that benefits a good cause and am clearing out a load right now to take. That might make you feel better.

I never heard of Thallium, wonder why people are pumping this and talking customers out of something else. That seems wierd, I'd never go back in that store again once you make your exchange.
    I threw the packaging away, and when I called the store, they said they would need it in it's packaging so they can re-shelf it. Bastards! I'm mad as hell. I can't even smell this crap on my skin after like an hour and a half!!!

Anyone who has ever traded or bought blind has experienced trader's or buyer's remorse in my view. I think my first was Zino Davidoff, which I purchased based on wildly favorable reviews right here on Basenotes. Wasn't for me. At all. Same thing goes for two other wildly feted fragrances here on Basenotes. Tussardi Uomo and Tuscany per Uomo. Both extreme buyer's remorse. Same goes for Jaipur pour homme and Terre D'Hermes....Basenotes reviews. I still buy blind though.

Re online. I'm pretty sure that online prices are lower quite nearly 100 percent of the time. I never never buy cologne retail. It's a huge rip-off. I understand that some retailers will say that the online product has been sitting on shelves for months. I disagree. I think onliners move product like nothing else. That actually would be a good thread....I'm sure it's been done before. But still, for newbies....I hate seeing them waste their hard-earned money buying cologne at Nordstroms or some other high end store....asking 65 dollars for a 1.7 oz. bottle.

You weren't ripped off - it was just unfortunate that you paid the full retail price.

Just don't get too friendly with SAs. If you have to interact with them, ask what's new and to spray some on your arms, as you always test them out for three or four hours before buying.

Renato

I think that one thing that can help with buyer's remorse is to slow way down and give new frags several full wearings before you judge them.

Maybe she tried to push it on you because it has a big profit margin. That's probably also the reason for pushing 100ml sizes. Most scents have material costs of a few cents, so when charging 40E for 50ml while charging 50E for 100ml, they may be better off selling the higher quantity and the nonsuspecting customer thinks HE's the one that made a good deal.

That crap they always try to push, I guess it's just the product with the highest profit margin.

Quote Originally Posted by TricsMan View Post
    Larwiz,

If your biggest bust on a fragrance purchase is only 39.99 plus tax, then you should be helping the rest of us Basenoters. I've made much bigger mistakes on niche stuff that cost 2 to 3 times what you spent. You just have to move on and hope the stuff grows on you, or an opportunity to "re-gift" it presents itself. You might turn out to be someone's hero with this Thallium one day.

i was thinking the same thing......he only lost 39.99!! wait till you start paying 39.99 a week for samples....its coming you found this website!

Best Friendly SA experience:
    Chanel Exclusifs @ boutique, Bangkok: Female SA - "Here you can take this mini of Coromandel home to see if you like it. Here's my card, let me know if you'd like a full bottle." -- She will be getting some commission soon!

Worst SA experience:
    Creed, Bangkok: Male SA - "You've tried it about a dozen times already. Why don't you just buy it already? *gives the sick and tired look*" (I think he has something against me.. haha)

But still, for newbies....I hate seeing them waste their hard-earned money buying cologne at Nordstroms or some other high end store....asking 65 dollars for a 1.7 oz. bottle.[/QUOTE]

That I have never done. I shake my head at folx at the Macy's paying full retail price for fragrances I know I can get for 40% less online. So most seem to think $39.99 plus tax is mild compared to what others on here have lost on fragrances they didn't much care for. And after some reconsideration, I guess I could have done worse. Besides...my dad said he liked the fragrance, and really-it isn't that bad. I guess I'd feel better if I had not fallen to the pressure of pleasing the SAs by purchasing at thier store and instead atleast gone online and purchased it for literally half the price, if not altogether buying another fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    Maybe she tried to push it on you because it has a big profit margin. That's probably also the reason for pushing 100ml sizes. Most scents have material costs of a few cents, so when charging 40E for 50ml while charging 50E for 100ml, they may be better off selling the higher quantity and the nonsuspecting customer thinks HE's the one that made a good deal.

That crap they always try to push, I guess it's just the product with the highest profit margin.
    You know what? I did wonder why they didn't try to push any of the more popular fragrances on me. No Polos, Creeds (which they had), CKs, Guccis or nothin. They just kept talkin about some damn Pursang...that's the one they really wanted me to get. It was to the point where I had to ask if they get some kinda incentive for selling that particular fragrance. They said they get paid by the hour, not by the sale, so I didn't press the matter. But it was two SAs, and one was actually wearing the Pursang, and he strongly wanted me to get it because according to him, it's unique and there's nothin else like it. But between that one and the Thallium, I thought the Thallium was considerably better. They claimed that the first time they had the Pursang in stock a few years ago, it sold out in like 5 months, and since then, it took them a long time to get it back in stock because it was discontinued.

The Thallium, they claimed was their best seller, so I figured it had to atleast be ok. In fact, when they went to thier neighboring store with the thallium sprayed on paper and the Gucci Envy, the two SAs, a male and female, both preffered the Thallium. They weren't told the names or anything. Then the male starts to tell me that if I'm looking for a really nice fragrance, I should try the Thallium. So I told him that he was smelling the Thallium.
    So I figured aww what the hell-go ahead and buy it.

Now I know I've been doing a bit of complaining about this buy, but you know what, on second thought-it really isn't a bad fragrance, and my father even likes it, so...I dunno. I'll hold onto it and wear it every now and then.

Buyer's remorse = my For Sale list.