Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Welcome to Fragrancedome!! Three Scents Enter! One Scent Leaves!

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Polo (Original)

25 48.08%
  • Polo Crest

8 15.38%
  • Polo Modern Reserve

19 36.54%

Default Fragrancedome: Polo vs. Polo Crest vs. Modern Reserve UPDATED with an ending

With apologies to George Miller and with many thanks to Redneck Perfumisto who graciously sent me the sample of Polo Crest and vintage Polo. Welcome to Fragrancedome. Vote in the poll at the top and add your comments below. After it looks like we’ve got a winner I’ll come back and close the poll and write up a conclusion in the same goofy style. Now Welcome to FragranceDome!!!!

Sometime in the not-too distant future in a place once known as Grasse but in this post-apocalyptic time its name is ScentTown. In the center of ScentTown rising above the remnants of civilization is the Fragrancedome. Created out of the melted glass of old perfume bottles it glistens and gleams in the sunlight. It is when night falls and the torches are lit and the firelight explodes out of the dome in prismatic fireworks that the raison d'etre of the 'Dome is revealed. Here is where the precious drops of juice remaining are compared and only the best are allowed to be placed on the altar while the others will eventually be discarded and added to the glory of Fragrancedome. As we look in tonight the head of ScentTown Uncle Grant is in attendance. The MC for the evening Dr. Smellgood reaches for the old-style microphone and says, "Listen all! This is the truth of it. Bickering leads to arguing, and arguing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned, by the smell of them all... ScentTown learned. Now, when scents get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Tonight, Three scents enter; one scent leaves. Perfumistas and colognoisseurs, boys and girls... Sniffin' time's here."
    The crowd chants, "Three Scents Enter, One Scent Leaves."
    With each repetition the anticipation builds. Uncle Grant walks slowly towards the center of the 'Dome. He turns slowly, taking in the denizens of ScentTown, feeding off of their anticipation he reaches for the mike. The chant intensifies, "Three Scents Enter, One Scent Leaves." Uncle Grant gets a wicked smile and brings the mike close and speaks, "Welcome to another edition of Fragrancedome!!" The announcement causes the chanting to break like a wave and explode into cheers. Uncle Grant walks back to his seat of honor and Dr. Smellgood takes back control of the proceedings.
    "Tonight's a special night as we send three scents from the same House into the 'Dome. There's only room for one in ScentTown. Who shall it be?"
    He beckons in front of him and from out of the crowd along the wall comes a man dressed all in green with a covered tray in his hands.
    Dr. Smellgood lifts the cover off the tray to display two very similar green bottles with gold caps. Centered between them was a clear bottle, in the same shape as its flankers, containing golden juice with an identical golden cap.
    Dr. Smellgood sensing the rapt attention of the crowd introduces tonight’s contenders. First he lifts up one of the green bottles and says, “Here is one of the scents we all know. A scent from the before days when it was to be found on many a man’s dresser. This one was created in 1978 by Carlos Benaim and was one of the most popular men’s scents ever created! I give you Ralph Lauren Polooooooo!!!!!”
    The crowd cheers and many a man has an anticipatory smile on his face as he hopes the scent will take him back to when the world was whole and he didn’t live this hardscrabble existence.
    Dr. Smellgood moves down the line to the clear bottle containing the golden juice. He holds it up in the glittering firelight and the juice inside seems to radiate a deep glow. “Thirteen years later Ralph Lauren would release a new version of Polo one that was to become one of the most sought after members of the line. Available for only a short time this one was long-discontinued and was desired by colognoisseurs everywhere. Our second scent for the night is Polo Creeeeeest!!!!!”
    The crowd’s interest level seems to rise and fill the Fragrancedome to bursting.
    Dr. Smellgood picks up the last bottle he turns once around and lifts it in his left hand. “The final scent tonight was created not so long ago it came out 30 years after the original. Could an artist like Carlos Benaim re-interpret his original composition and make it relevant? That will be up to you to decide when you sniff tonight’s third bottle of Polo…..Modern…..Reserve!”
    At that the crowd lets out an extended tsunami of sound that travels around and through every man and woman in Fragrancedome.
    Dr. Smellgood holds up both of his hands over his head and slowly brings them to his side and with the lowering of his hands the crowd noise also recedes.
    Always in Fragrancedome the honor of “first sniff” is given to those who have done their part for ScentTown. Dr. Smellgood was looking over the crowd trying to find the man or woman who would get “first sniff”. His eyes alit on a man sitting with an abacus in his lap aimlessly flipping the beads adding numbers only he could seem to see. The man looked up and his eyes connected with Dr. Smellgood and Dr. Smellgood said, “Tonight’s “first sniff” goes to Somerville Metro Man!”
    Somerville Metro Man put his abacus down and got up with a smile on his face from ear-to-ear. Even before the world fell apart he had wanted to try these scents and the honor of “first sniff” would give him that chance.
    He strode into the center of the ‘Dome and held out his right wrist. To that Dr. Smellgood dipped a glass wand into the first green bottle and placed a drop. Somerville Metro Man extended his left arm and to that Dr. Smellgood produced another glass wand and applied the Polo Crest. With a third glass wand he dipped from the last green bottle and applied it to the crook of the left arm of Somerville Metro Man.
    Dr. Smellgood moved aside and every eye in Fragrancedome was on Somerville Metro Man as he pulled his right wrist to his nose and breathed deep the scent of Polo. A rueful smile appeared and he spoke. “This one is as I remember it from the long ago days. I wore this often as a young man and the beautiful green beginning I remember is still there. It was always the tobacco and juniper in the middle that made me love it for so long and I think my attraction to incense began with the hint of incense I get from the base in this one.”
    He then pulled his left wrist to his nose and breathed even deeper, if that was possible and spoke. “I never had the chance to try this in before times and this is my first chance to enjoy this. The difference is very much there right at the top as citrus and basil combine and dominate to create a very soft beginning. The floral note of jasmine in the middle of this is so non-Polo like and beautiful. The base is all Polo as the patchouli grounds the softness of what came before, finishing feet firmly planted in the earth.”
    Somerville Metro Man then pulled his left elbow to his nose and breathed deep one more time. “This is a grown-up version of the original. If Polo was the scent of my youth Polo Modern Reserve would be the scent of my maturity. Modern Reserve starts similarly but adds a healthy dose of cardamom to the top. It is the heart where the real change happens as the tobacco middle of Polo morphs into a leather filled heart in Modern Reserve. The base is identical to Polo.”
    Dr. Smellgood reappears and now with anticipatory glee asks, “Well Somerville Metro Man? Which one is best?”
    Somerville Metro Man looks up into the glass Fragrancedome as if looking for guidance and then levels his gaze and says, “Between Polo and Modern Reserve I prefer Modern Reserve as I’ve grown older I think the note of leather appeals to me more than tobacco does. I also really like the addition of cardamom to the top as it adds a softness to Modern Reserve. It is that cardamom that I think draws the comparisons to Polo Crest. Once you wear them side-by-side you realize they are two different scents in tone and construction. Polo Crest is all subtlety until the base where Polo and Modern Reserve couldn’t ever be called subtle at any point in their development. The jasmine heart of Crest also makes for a departure for Polo as well. In all three cases it is the heart of each one that resonates with me and stands out and when it comes time to choose; my choice is for Modern Reserve then Crest then Polo.”
    Dr. Smellgood looks around with a beatific smile looks out into the crowd and says, “Who’s Next?”

The line formed quickly and each member of ScentTown was anointed with the precious juice. Each person wandered away and sniffed each one in. All around Fragrancedome the trials of the now days were lost in the sweet beauty that scent could bring to lift our spirits.
    Soon enough, Dr. Smellgood called the congregation back to order.
    He looked around and asked, "All who liked Polo Crest best to my right." About a quarter of the crowd moved to where he pointed.
    "All who preferred Polo Modern Reserve to my left" A slightly larger crowd formed to his left. That left over half of ScentTown standing in front of him with the preference of Polo.
    Dr. Smellgood grinned his knowing smile and held up the tray, with the now empty three bottles. He takes off the green bottle of Polo and places it onto the shelf next to the other victors in Fragrancedome. He turns and asks, "What do we do with the losers?"
    The crowd chants, "Smash 'em, melt 'em, and forget 'em"
    "Quite Right", replies Dr. Smellgood.
    As the denizens of Scenttown head back to their hard scrabble existence in these now days; soon enough the firelight will blaze again and scents will face off in Fragrancedome again.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 7th March 2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Add the ending
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Thumbs up Re: Fragrancedome: Polo vs. Polo Crest vs. Modern Reserve

No doubt here Polo Crest, fantastic pine. the best RL for me.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Default Re: Fragrancedome: Polo vs. Polo Crest vs. Modern Reserve

I happen to have all three. Crest - the rarity - is very closely related to the original but lighter and easier to wear. Modern Reserve is impressive, especially for a modern release. MR is a great modern interpretation of the classic... masculine, woody, spicy, and deep. However, the original Polo is still the best. There isn't any other fragrance I own that gets more positive comments from women. It's also one of the only fragrances that only requires a single spray, or even better, the aftershave which is stronger than most EdPs and as long lasting.

The scent of Polo (original) drives me wild. I do not know why, but when I smell Polo on someone (even if he were aged 80 years) I find it so enticing. Oooooooohhhhh gooodness, I think I am getting the vapors just thinking of it...I need mah saaallltttsss (like Scarlett O'Hara)
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Sur la Plage

IMO, Original Polo is the best.

Polo Crest is a close second.

Polo Modern Reserve is a wayyyyyyy distant third. It's not even in the same league.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 1st February 2009 at 04:28 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

I respect and admire the original, however the Modern Reserve is easier to wear, so I vote for that one.

I've never smelled Crest.

In order of enjoyment and wearability. PMR is one of the few reworkings of a fragrance that improves on the original. Polo Crest, which I have a small bottle of, is also nice and warmer and easier to wear then the original. PMR however is easily available and my favorite of the three. I agree with SMM above.

1.) Polo Modern Reserve

2.) Polo Crest

3.) Polo

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Fragrancedome: Polo vs. Polo Crest vs. Modern Reserve

Well, I have precision instruments in my gyro, and they tell me that this Mod Max character is the one to put the barter on. The old green one may always be the one that leaves, but it can't last forever. And the big clear one was my moneymaker back in the before times, but these ain't the before times. No, there's something I like about this new one. He reminds me of the before times, but not like the way they used to be - like the way they can't ever be again. He makes me believe that maybe some of the before times are still left.

So that's my vote. Modern Reserve. The others I won't decide. Let me and the boy fly 'em to the cool place by the sea. They earned their keep.

OK, I haven't sampled the other two....I voted anyway. Polo original.

Unfortunately I can't cast a vote because the original Polo is the only one I've tried. But I just wanted to say that I greatly enjoyed your dramatic/goofy description of the contenders in this challenge. Reminds me of the introduction to Iron Chef.

Default Re: Fragrancedome: Polo vs. Polo Crest vs. Modern Reserve UPDATED with an ending

Added the ending for those who were waiting for one.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Fragrancedome: Polo vs. Polo Crest vs. Modern Reserve UPDATED with an ending

So, I finally got a chance to smell Crest today (thanks to a generous BN member) and WOW I see what all of the fuss is about. It's wonderful. It's sort of a smoothed out, less tobacco-laden Polo - made me think of an EdC version of the original...if there was such a thing. I think I might just order a mini EdT/shower gel set...I think this would smell great in a shower gel.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So, I finally got a chance to smell Crest today (thanks to a generous BN member) and WOW I see what all of the fuss is about. It's wonderful...
    It is on my radar screen and I will pick up a bottle from somewhere.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I also have all 3 and Modern Reserve works best for me.....I must say that I wish RL and all of the Great people at RL Fragrances would bring Polo Crest back.....This is a wonderful fragrance.....I had a difficult time not voting for Polo Crest.....If it were still in production and easily available I would have made it my #1 in this pole.....It's just so hard to come by so I went with Modern Reserve!!!
    Gary

Tldr

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    Tldr
    TO;SHR

(Too Old; Shouldn't Have Replied)

lol. I've seen a lot of old thread get resurrected for all sorts of odd reasons. But I think we have a winner.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Even belated, the personal favorite out of the three seems to be the front runner.

Well, seeing as I just bought a bottle of Modern reserve not two hours ago, and I'm sitting here over a cup of coffee letting it mature on my wrist, I have to say modern reserve. I've been wearing the original Polo all week, and even though I love the stuff, I have to say that Ralph Lauren did a great service to mankind by releasing this cologne, it's really good stuff; although it's a bittersweet moment for me because I also found out that it's discontinued. Oh well, I'll have to buy out his remaining two bottles and then wear it until it runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1185 View Post
    Well, seeing as I just bought a bottle of Modern reserve not two hours ago, and I'm sitting here over a cup of coffee letting it mature on my wrist, I have to say modern reserve. I've been wearing the original Polo all week, and even though I love the stuff, I have to say that Ralph Lauren did a great service to mankind by releasing this cologne, it's really good stuff; although it's a bittersweet moment for me because I also found out that it's discontinued. Oh well, I'll have to buy out his remaining two bottles and then wear it until it runs out.
    Indeed this is a shame, although thankfully I have a large supply.

Seeing as this effort was so good, I'd personally love to see RL have another go at this when the 40th anniversary rolls round in 2018!

Polo the original, the vintage.

Never was a fan of the original nor any of its flankers.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post

Seeing as this effort was so good, I'd personally love to see RL have another go at this when the 40th anniversary rolls round in 2018!
    This is an amazing statement... 40th anniversary!!! Think about that my friends!!! How many fragrances can boast of 40 years? Thanks for reminding me Davem81!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post

40th? That's coming up fast! Time to get the petition going! Or, maybe we could suggest a Basenotes "special edition" with oakmoss in the ingredients!