Code of Conduct

Default Is Aqua Di Gio a Keeper?

You might be going ballistic and have smoke coming out of your ears thinking why I mentioned the most mainstream cologne, but judging it aside from its popularity and on its own accord as a fragrance, do you dig it? I smell it sometimes and just really end up liking the drydown. Do you get compliments when you wear it if you have it?
    Last edited by Dudester!; 1st February 2009 at 05:45 AM.

AromiErotici

Default Re: Is Aqua Di Gio a Keeper?

It's personal taste. I got a bottle in a swap last year and swapped it off rather quickly as I found it weak and generic smelling.

You, on the other hand, may love it.Sample everything first and spare yourself the expense of full bottles collecting dust in your cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    You might be going ballistic and have smoke coming out of your ears thinking why I mentioned the most mainstream cologne, but judging it aside from its popularity and on its own accord as a fragrance, do you dig it? I smell it sometimes and just really end up liking the drydown. Do you get compliments when you wear it if you have it?
    I'm telling you this won't yield a lot of responses.

Anyway, I do think that AdG and Bulgari Aqua are the best strictly aquatic calone-freshness emphasizing designer scents around. AdG is the sweeter one, but I do think, for what it is, it is a good product. In the beginning of my fragrance career I researched a lot of aquatics simply because I liked that genre most, and all of them seemed out of balance in comparison to AdG - too sweet, fruity mess, too blue etc. As for compliments, I'm not the compliment getter with any fragrance, so I can't say anything about that.

I've got a bottle from 2000 which I may have used like 3 times.

Still, you can tell how much I like the AdG. I do not dislike it because it's popular (I have Joop Jump in my wardrobe). But it's because the AdG is just "Meh" to me, long before I became a recent apprentice perfumista.

It does nothing to me, weak sillage, weal longevity, uncompromising . The smell itself is not bad, there are tons of other fragrances that smell much worse and yet they dont get such a bad press among aficionados. I like aquatics, I have Aqua by Bvlgari.

I have a story. Six years ago I bought AdG (again). I walked down the street from the mall and went into a gas station to get a soft drink, I paid for it and I left behind the bag with Adg. (I had two other bags). When I got to my hotel room I realized the small bag with Adg was missing. I went back to the gas station but GONE. I guess destiny did not want me to have AdG for a second time. I never bought it again.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I love AdG no matter how über-popular it might be. I don't get much compliments when wearing it - perhaps I use my scents so sparingly that people don't detect what I'm having? To my nose AdG smells very pure, almost innocent in gender-less and asexual way and I wouldn't wear it on romantic occasions. But I find it a perfect choice for those stressful days in a work - it's so soothing, but uplifting and cheerful at the same time. To me AdG is definitely a keeper!

innocent and gender-less and asexual... those 3 issues makes it to me as a no keeper. Funny how different people has different preferences and that makes the world round :-)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Sur la Plage

I personally was never fond of Aqua di Gio - even when it was first released.

But if you like it, buy it/keep it!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 1st February 2009 at 11:34 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

If the scent meshes with your chemistry, it would give a wonderful result. I've smelled Acqua di Gio in its top form on some people, but not so great on me
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Acqua Di Gio is a modern classic and deservedly so. I know others have panned it, but for me, it's the very definition of freshness (I agree with whomever talked about Aqva and ADG as first in Aquatic class).
    I wore ADG yesterday and was suffused by warmth and comfort on a cold Winter's day and this morning, I can still smell it, hours and hours after application. I'd call that a pretty good longevity. What's more, everyone I talked to liked it. What more do you want out of a frag?
    That said, there are tons of knuckle-dragging oafs who wear this with abandon, spoiling its reputation, but the way I see it: they also wear clothes but that's not enough to make me stop wearing clothes!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

It's a good composition, it lasts well, it smells good. It will not answer any questions about life. It will bat its eyelashes attentively and smile.

I had it. I found the scent not unpleasant but seemed like a "shouter." What I mean is you put it on and it's like you're shouting: "Hey, I'm wearing cologne because I'm going to the CLUB!! I'm wearing AdG, so clearly I'm not actually 46 years old --- I MUST BE YOUNGER!!"

So....not a club goer, not 27 years old. It sat in my perfumidor (a dark drawer) for months getting only random squirts. I gave it to a friend of mine.

great fragance and modern classic.
    many people like this fragance? not problem,imagine if the fragance house of this cologne was a little niche/cult company of pacific island his value will be more apreciated and his price very high.
    Please enjoy of this,go out snobishm without content.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Aqua di Gio is fanfriggintastic. It smells clean, masculine, light and sexy.

Its *ONLY* culprit is that everyone is wearing it. And that is a bit off putting, since fragrances are regarded as very personal, individual and emotional.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 1st February 2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Acqua di Gio hasn't been the #1 selling fragrance in the world for several years for no reson. It's a great fragrance! The only problem has been the vast number of other fragrances that have tried to emulate this clean fresh style so it has made it sort of common. I have kept my bottle and still enjoy it on occasion. It's a good one.

I smelled it on a card in 2005 because my friend wore it (and we were at Macy's and he wanted me to know how it smelled, I guess) and I thought it smelled nice but it didn't stand out in any way. Just a regular, nice smell.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

When it came out at about 1996 I immediately bought a bottle, and didn't regret. It was kind of unique, in my country at least. And there was a kind lady who would recognize me by my pure smell; that is that of AdG. These are fond memories from a past which never will come again.
    Maybe a keeper, it depends just on you. Work for your own memories

If you like it and will wear it then it is a keeper. I you like it but won't wear it (for whatever reason) then it is not a keeper.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Acqua di Gio hasn't been the #1 selling fragrance in the world for several years for no reson. It's a great fragrance!
    It's been the #1 selling frag because it is safe, inoffensive and because SA seem to push this fragrance more than others. I don't think being "a great fragrance" is the key to its #1 status.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I have tried to like it, but I hate it. Have tried it several times but it always makes me wanna throw up. Just tried it again and had to wash it off after five minutes. It's too strong, half a spray is far too much for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini
    imagine if the fragance house of this cologne was a little niche/cult company of pacific island his value will be more apreciated and his price very high.
    I used to think this was true, but not anymore. BNers are critical of everything, regardless of who makes it. There are plenty of niche and expensive fragrances that are panned and criticized. Likewise good designer fragrances are recognized when they deserve it. I don't think AdG, put out by any house, would it make it popular on BN where most people don't discuss the fresh/aquatic genre.

As for AdG - if you like it, wear it.

For me it is a keeper. Maybe not the most loved fragrance in my wardrobe, but certainly a fragrance I like very much. It smells fresh and reminds me of relaxing times like summer vacation . On my skin it is a strong fragrance with very good longevity.

Thats up to you if you enjoy it thats all that counts I still were it from time to time.

The majority of Basenoters are objective in their critiques, and ADG certainly polarizes opinions. Personally, I find it an adequate aquatic fragrance, but lacking in class. I am glad so many people use it, as it makes it so easy for me and others to eclipse it. I think history will be as kind to ADG as it was to Brut by Faberge

To your two questions: Yes and yes.
    Peace ~ Markymark

I like it. My girl pals like it. No objections here. When I need a scent that I want to offend the fewest people and please the most, I go for AdG.

Sorry, I am totally unable to separate the fragrance, which is moderately acceptable, from the fact that it has been worn by millions of posturing poseur club-goers and shirtless frat morons all across the world for the past 10 years. There must be something more original and personal you can find to express yourself.
    No disrespect intended to those who wear it well, and with class. I just think that if you are here, reading about the hundreds, maybe thousands of wonderful fragrances available you should at least have the curiosity to venture a little out from the most popular of mainstream frags. Its sort of like going to a music website and asking how everyone feels about Brittney Spears, though I suppose she's a bad example. But you get my point. Now, my recommendation is that you find some way to sample about 100 fragrances. Really get a feel for what fragrances really suit your style. And if, at the end of the day, AdG is your thing, excellent. Wear it with pride. But don't just buy something because its safe and popular and some folks on a board say it smells great and will help you pull chicks. Unless you are just wanting to know if it will help you pull chicks. But if that's the case there is a whole thread about other interesting fragrances that will serve the same purpose and may do so in a more individualistic way. It's a sticky at the top of the page.
    My 2 cents. Not intended to offend.

Happy hunting.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

some people seem to know the exact formula for a particular perfume to be the No.1 selling scent in the world

some other inoffensive scents made popular by the SA's..the perfumer Jacques CAVALLIER

Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme (2005)
    Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme Marine (2008)
    Cartier Pasha (1992)
    Christian Dior Midnight Poison (2007, with Olivier Cresp)
    Diesel Fuel for Life for Him (2007, with Annick Menardo)
    Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio pour homme (1996)
    Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani Diamonds Pour Homme (2008)
    Giorgio Armani Mania (2000)
    Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey (1992)
    Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme (1994)
    Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Intense (2007)
    Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Pour Homme (2004)
    Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey (1998)
    Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (1993)
    Jil Sander Sander for men (1999)
    Tom Ford Private Blend Noir de Noir (2007, with Harry Fremont)
    Tom Ford Private Blend Tuscan Leather (2007, with Harry Fremont)
    Yves Saint Laurent Cinema (2004)
    Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2002, with Alberto Morillas)
    Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme (1995)
    Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme (2003)
    Last edited by jenson; 3rd February 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig View Post
    Acqua Di Gio is a modern classic and deservedly so. I know others have panned it, but for me, it's the very definition of freshness (I agree with whomever talked about Aqva and ADG as first in Aquatic class).
    I wore ADG yesterday and was suffused by warmth and comfort on a cold Winter's day and this morning, I can still smell it, hours and hours after application. I'd call that a pretty good longevity. What's more, everyone I talked to liked it. What more do you want out of a frag?
    That said, there are tons of knuckle-dragging oafs who wear this with abandon, spoiling its reputation, but the way I see it: they also wear clothes but that's not enough to make me stop wearing clothes!
    Excellent comments! I agree completely. Acqua di Gio has an important place as one of many fragrances in my wardrobe. I once wore it in Hawaii during the summer and it felt perfect!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    It's a good composition, it lasts well, it smells good. It will not answer any questions about life. It will bat its eyelashes attentively and smile.
    LOL - what a great description strollyourlobster. I agree!

when I was at the dept store today looking at frags, 3 separate girls (NOT employees)--at three separate times-- walked right over to me and demanded that I get ADG. I don't understand what it is about that stuff?

I used to own it but it became a little synthetic on my skin compared to when I purchased it. I own Bulgari Aqua and besides a mild resemblence I don't think they are that close. BA has a much spicer kick to it. But overall I used to love AdG and if it does well on you, go for it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Its definitely a keeper. The composition is well put together, light and refreshing. The watery melony notes are only bettered by Millesime Imperial.

I am willing to bet Chanel No. 5 is worn by more people than AdG homme ..
    -

My answer is No.

I bought a bottle at full retail price only to wear it 5 times. I gave it away to a friend who loved fragrances of any sort. The bitterness of wasting my money is still in my mouth . To me Acqua di Gio is just not a good smell. But if you like it, that is what counts.