Code of Conduct

Thread: $100 to spend

Default $100 to spend

Ok so the only cologne I own currently is Nautica Voyage however I am looking to expand.

After doing a lot of reading on this site here is how I plan on spending a hundred bucks:

Rochas Man $42
    Rive Gauche $28
    Burberry London $30

Also, I am thinking of getting TDH later on, I understand it's more of a summer cologne? One reviewer mentioned a girl said he smelled like, "a summer breeze".

Burberry London is more of a fall/winter scent yes?

GIT is what I really would like to get as well but it costs like $120+ correct? I think I would rather get 3 frags for the price of 1.

Last but not least where do you guys stand with Saen John's Unforgettable? I know a lot of people compare it to MI, but then again a lot of people say it is not MI.

I would love to get MI but I cannot afford $120+ for a cologne. Would the average person notice the difference between U and MI?

Any advice on the frags I plan on buying will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: $100 to spend

Hulk SMASH! Welcome to Basenotes.

I don't necessarily categorize scents seasonally. Sometimes, I've worn a frag which is deemed a Summer frag that smells great in Winter. I own the three you've listed and I like them all, you won't be disappointed with any of them.

Unforgivable is actually a good perfume, believe it or not. There are indeed some similarities between MI and Unforgivable, yes, but I wouldn't get hung up on that.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I'd say that's $100 well spent. Rive Gauche PH and London are probably things you can try before you order, though, so you might if you haven't already.

If you are looking for something quite different than what you are currently using, I would try London first. And yes, I think it's much better in cool weather.

I also like Rochas Man though you need to like real sweet frags to enjoy this one.

Rive Gauche I personally don't like, to me it smells like sour fruit (but to each his own).

GIT is so much like Cool Water, I wouldn't spend the money until you see if you like CW.

Terre d'Hermes is a great fragrance, and I find it works well all year around and for all occasions.

Good luck, and might I suggest you don't buy anything without trying samples first. Doing otherwise has cost me a great deal of money and has left me with bottles that I will never use. If you haven't found the Perfumed Court, you may want to look for samples there. Never simply rely on the comments of others, or a great review. I've come across too many well-regarded frags that I can't stand and vice versa (I've found quite a few frags that I like that aren't highly regarded by others). This "hobby" is completely subjective.
    Last edited by JonB; 1st February 2009 at 02:11 PM.

those are some good choices hulk! i'd say go for it!

If the men's versions are the ones you want, be sure to specify Rive Gauche pour Homme and London for Men when placing your order.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 1st February 2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I sampled the frags I listed in the 1st post but I was unable to find the Rive Gauche PH anywhere at the mall. I looked in three different places.

I'm going to be ordering online because at the mall they were charging at least 40% markup.

I really liked the Rochas Man and Burberry London. I also liked TDH but too me it just seemed very sophisticated like something you would wear out to a formal dinner.

My question is on the RGPH, since I was unable to sample it I don't know what it smells like. If I like RM and BL will I like the RGPH as well?
    Last edited by Hulk; 2nd February 2009 at 03:43 PM.

just one input...a thing which i learned very late....always go for 50mls as opposed to 100 mls...you tend to save some money (buy a 4 th frag!) and also, finishin 100ml is a "big" task in itself...especially if you have minimum 10 bottles to choose from...

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    My question is on the RGPH, since I was unable to sample it I don't know what it smells like. If I like RM and BL will I like the RGPH as well?
    not necessarily freind....

Too me Cool Water smells so similar, I would personally spring for coolwater which you can get on ebay for around 20$
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    just one input...a thing which i learned very late....always go for 50mls as opposed to 100 mls...you tend to save some money (buy a 4 th frag!) and also, finishin 100ml is a "big" task in itself...especially if you have minimum 10 bottles to choose from...
    That's what I did, bought the smallest bottles they had, except for the BL, which came in 1.0 and 1.7 for like $5 more.

$87 for 3 popular frags is a great deal I think!

1 125852 ROCHAS MAN by Rochas EDT SPRAY $37.19 $37.19
    1.7 OZ (Men's Fragrance)

1 135420 RIVE GAUCHE by Yves Saint $25.35 $25.35
    Laurent EDT SPRAY 2.5 OZ
    (Men's Fragrance)

1 142003 BURBERRY LONDON by Burberry $34.19 $34.19
    EDT SPRAY 1.7 OZ (NEW) (Men's
    Fragrance)

JOINCOUP Coupon redemption -$9.67

SUBTOTAL $87.06
    SALES TAX $0.00
    SHIPPING $0.00
    ORDER TOTAL $87.06

Disclaimer, if you are new to fragrance, smell for yourself ANYTHING recommended on this site first . Many of the members here are very specialized in what sorts of scents they look for, and while they have aesthetic values, they may not smell appealing to most, including yourself. While TDH is loved by many here, to me it smells of citrusy headaches and old women's perfume. Burberry London smells too much like unwashed old man, and Rive Gauche smells like an old man fresh out of a barbershop. I enjoyed Rochas man however, fresh and creamy. Many of the members here are older, and don't olefactorily associate smells the same way us younger enthusiasts do, so in turn, many of their beloved scents simply smell "old" to younger noses, merely by association from uncles, teachers, older male figures growing up etc.

Be forewarned :-p
    Last edited by Sokkou; 2nd February 2009 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks, Sokkou. I totally agree with you. I loved sampling RM and BL but not so much TDH. A lot of people have said a lot of good things about TDH but I am still not sold on it...to me it's more a summer scent so I have a lot of time to think about that one.