Code of Conduct

Default SotW January 24th-30th, 2009

Week 48 was a solid middle of the road week with most things performing around their averages. There were some surprises and we’ll get to those after the raw numbers. 1,271 total posts this week over 722 different scents, 62 of those scents posted for the first time. 476 scents were worn just one time for an individuality index of 37.4%. All of those numbers are pretty close to what we’ve been seeing in a normal week over the last three months. The one number I’d like to comment on is the 62 scents posted for the first time. Take a moment to realize what that says about this community that on the 48th week of tabulating SotD’s there were 62 scents that were worn for the first time. It speaks to the very foundation of what makes one a member of Basenotes and the search for new scented experiences that we all share.
    Four of the big 5 had an average week but one had a below average week. Guerlain tops this group with 112 wears over 38 scents, led by the week’s #1 scent Vetiver with 16 wears. Four more Guerlains make the top 10 with Habit Rouge at #7 and Shalimar, L’Instant pour Homme, and L’Heure Bleue all tied at #9. Chanel continues its strong run as the #2 House this week with 59 wears over 21 scents led by Chanel No. 19 at #9. Chanel has had a different House leader for the fifth week in a row all on top of being the consistent second House of the big 5. Creed comes in third this week with 50 wears over 19 scents. Bois Du Portugal led the way for the House with 13 wears which made it the #2 scent for the week. Green Irish Tweed also had a good enough week to make it into the group at #9. Hermes comes in fourth with 36 wears over 13 scents led by Terre D’Hermes with 7 wears which just misses the top 10 in 14th. The surprise fifth place House this week is Serge Lutens which had 35 wears over 21 scents. While the numbers are up from last week’s very low wear total the House still performed way below average. Chergui led the House but it also just missed the top 10 and is tied for 14th, too. The big 5 totals for the week are 292 (23.0%) wears over 112 (15.5%) scents. The big 5 take eight of the thirteen slots in the top 10 this week.
    The # 3 scent of the week was Dior Homme which led an average week for Christian Dior of 27 wears over 10 scents. Yves St. Laurent fails to put a scent in the top 10 for the first time in 10 weeks as the House goes with 33 wears over 13 scents led by Kouros also in the group at 14th. As I said at the beginning most Houses performed right around their averages this week and so only a few stood out either way. Armani had a return to average but after the two very low weeks previously it was a big jump. Armani had the big week on the shoulders of Armani Code which has 6 wears this week. This was a trend this week where a number of scents bubbled up and had unusually high wear weeks seemingly out of nowhere. Penhaligon’s seemed to get quite broadly worn this week as almost the entire line was worn and that led to an up week for the House. Parfum D’Empire and Versace both had extremely low weeks especially in comparison to recent weeks for both Houses.
    The remaining four scents in the top 10 are two sort of expected entries and two of the quality I was just speaking of as unexpected bubbling up into the top 10. Three are tied for #4 the first of these is Burberry London for Men which has had a very strong three months and inexplicably had one off week last week but bounced back quite nicely this week. Montana Parfum D’Homme (red box) has been on a three week tear fueled by one of the ladies who has made this her everyday scent, but it hasn’t been her alone as there have been other wearers and that has kept its numbers higher and in the top 10. The last scent at #4 is Givenchy Vetyver which had a day this week of four wears and at least a wear or two bracketed around it on other days. The wear total this week of 10 is equivalent to the last eleven weeks total for Givenchy Vetyver. Bvlgari Black had its highest wear total in eleven weeks and is tied for #7. I was thinking Bvlgari Black was a solid warm weather performer but this week surprised me.
    Top 10 for January 24th – 30th, 2009
    1.) Guerlain Vetiver 16 wears (1.3%)
    2.) Creed Bois du Portugal 13 wears (1.0%)
    3.) Dior Homme 11 wears (0.9%)
    4.) Burberry London for Men 10 wears (0.8%)
    4.) Givenchy Vetyver 10 wears (0.8%)
    4.) Montana Parfum D’Homme (red box) 10 wears (0.8%)
    7.) Bvlgari Black 9 wears (0.7%)
    7.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 9 wears (0.7%)
    9.) Chanel No. 19 8 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Creed Green Irish Tweed 8 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Guerlain L’Heure Bleue 8 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Guerlain L’Instant pour Homme 8 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Guerlain Shalimar 8 wears (0.6%)

There were four scents that just missed this week and they were Chanel Egoiste, Hermes Terre D”Hermes, Serge Lutens Chergui, and Yves St. Laurent Kouros. The highest ranking new scent was Jil Sander Scent 79 Man with five wears, Prada Infusion D’Homme was one wear back.
    That’s it as we wrap up Week 48. One last thing, there were a number of posts of Vick’s VapoRub over on the Women’s board this week as a wave of colds seemed to hit a large chunk of them. If I was going to consider Vicks VapoRub a scent it would have had eight wears this week just sneaking into the top 10.
    As always, you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotW January 24th-30th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    .....The one number I’d like to comment on is the 62 scents posted for the first time. Take a moment to realize what that says about this community that on the 48th week of tabulating SotD’s there were 62 scents that were worn for the first time. It speaks to the very foundation of what makes one a member of Basenotes and the search for new scented experiences that we all share.....
    That's interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    .....One last thing, there were a number of posts of Vick’s VapoRub over on the Women’s board this week as a wave of colds seemed to hit a large chunk of them. If I was going to consider Vicks VapoRub a scent it would have had eight wears this week just sneaking into the top 10.....
    Go Team Vicks!

Thanks, SMM.

As always, thanks a lot for bringing us the stats! I'm happy I helped four frags make it into the Top 10
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Yeah, I'm almost embarrassed that > 50% of those 10 wears was probably me. Almost embarrassed. But not quite.

I've been looking forward to this post. Great stats, and you made my morning by mentioning the Vicks.

This is so interesting. Thank you for the effort you put into this.