Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Burberry The Beat FOR MEN

I am loving this fragrance. It has a juicy citrus/fruit opening, layered over violet and a synthetic woods base of vetiver/cedar. I detect a decent amount of ISO E here as the woody base (I ALWAYS get a distinct vetiver/cedar combo with ISO E), it it has amazing longevity and great sillage. There's definitely a bit of musk and a hint of leather in the base as well. I gave it a full wear today from my sample and I'm going to buy it tomorrow. I love the bottle too, unique!

I suppose one exposed to richer scents could find it "boring", but I find it very pleasant and sexy, and my girlfriend thought it smelled great, which is a big deal, as she usually only enjoys aquatics, but the freshness of this wood clearly blends traditional with modern fragrance!
    Last edited by Sokkou; 26th March 2009 at 07:06 PM.

I like it! A lot.

To me, it smells a lot like Eau de Cartier Concentree. Sharp, spicy, woody green, but not too bright and not too subtle.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Tried it.. opening is really my thing.. though the woody base isn't my thing..
    unico grande amore.

[QUOTE=scentseeker;1423743]I don't think it is on the same level quality or versatility wise as TDH... QUOTE]

Ok, this nonsense has got to stop. It REALLLLY has got to stop. The worshipping of this damn Terre d' mothaf%&*n hermes is getting out of hand!!! I mean, it's ok. Hell, it was supposed to be this weeks purchase for me. Why? Well, I figured it was nice enough to make for a good spring/summer scent. But after my third sample of it this past Sunday, which I sampled alongside the wonderful The Beat, tdh simply came up short.

The thing about TDH is...it really isn't anything to sneeze at. I mean...I dunno...I think I actually may have been brainwashed into even considering purchasing tdh due to all the worship it gets on here. And that's something I have to live with. But really and truly-it is quite 1 dimensional...it doesn't seem to grow, change, or nothing on your skin. And that wouldn't be that bad if it started off as a spectacular scent. Thing is-it doesn't. It's just OK. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not bashing it at all, but really, this has to stop. It's really getting ridiculous.

And yes, I know this is a forum of opinions, which are bound to differ some, and we all have a right to our opinions. But my God! It just seems really strange the amount of worship this fragrance gets. Reallllly strange.

If you ask me, Burberry Beat >>>>>>> Terre D' Hermes.

Now back to scheduled programming.

Haha, while I wouldn't have said it quite like that, I totally agree Larwiz. I don't see what's so particularly high quality about a scent that is like 55% Iso E Super. It's way too strong, cloying, and headache inducing in many individuals. If it didn't induce a headache in me 75% of the time, I'd wear it every now and again as the smell itself is decent, but it really is not head and shoulders above 99% of releases like many on here seem to think it is. Just because you like it doesn't make it objectively better than nearly everything. I wouldn't say that about many of my faves at all (Ungaro II perhaps being the one scent I'd make an exception for. It IS richer, deeper, and more complex in an objective sense than most of what I've smelled, and I'd stick by that opinion even if I didn't like how it smelled).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I sampled it today, and to my nose it smelled almost identical to Versace Man eau
    fraiche. Anyone else get that?

All I get is an overwhelming grapefruit/pepper opening and a boring woody drydown. What am I missing here, guys??
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

It has been done before.And its name is Lagerfeld MAN (2002).
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120945/reviews.html
    Although I am the only one who detects cedar (and a lot of it) in the Beat, I find this one peppery indeed,slightly greener and less formal than Lagerfeld Man.Lasting power is more than acceptable.Suitable not only for the younger demographics.
    I am not certain if I like this one,but Brit and London tend to exude much more quality.
    By the way,the smaller (30 ml) bottle is a (nearly) a piece of art...
    Last edited by discovolante; 4th April 2009 at 09:37 PM.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Quote Originally Posted by dynastyd95 View Post
    I sampled it today, and to my nose it smelled almost identical to Versace Man eau
    fraiche. Anyone else get that?
    Yes, Eau Fraiche is more citrus in the top, and The Beat is more peppery/green/violet, but both have a distinctive ISO E Super synthetic base. I ended up returning my The Beat to Sephora two days after purchase, snagged the new Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey Eau D'ete Summer Edition.

what about the new issey version ?? a step forward to the classic ? or nothing to try... =)

Quote Originally Posted by omniray View Post
    what about the new issey version ?? a step forward to the classic ? or nothing to try... =)
    It's the original lightened up with grapefruit in the top and less herbs overall. Same punch without the headache or sourness. It's the original done right.

The Beat gave me an instant headache after i sprayed it to my arm at the mall. I do have to admit that it is better and more innovative than the rest of the generic fresh releases. But i don't think i'll be buying it anytime soon. Bottle design rocks thought.

a) only wussies get headaches from perfume

b) the Beat is pretty good, herbal and woody and the violet leaf gives it a slight floral body to it

c) TdH smells stale and gross. There's always crowds of girls at sephora dragging their boyfriends in, and their reaction to TdH is always the same: "yuck"
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; 5th April 2009 at 01:26 AM.

1) I think The Beat smells almost just like Eau de Cartier Concentree. (they are both carried at Nordstrom, so I recommend testing them side-by-side) I too get that peppery, green accord, which isn't exactly ground that hasn't been covered. Still though, this fragrance is nice. Burberry typically doesn't seem to make crap.

2) I like it! But I'm not sure I like it enough to buy it. If it IS as close to EdCC as I think (I need to test a bit more), AND it lasts longer, then it MIGHT be worth buying.

3) Terre d'Hermes smells like a rock. -which is pretty unique. I think it's uniqueness contributes to it's popularity. It might not deserve quite as much hype as it does get, (which has actually declined a bit from a couple years ago) but I think it is pretty cool. Ok, maybe it's not just rock. There's the grapefruit (which is pretty obvious in the beginning, but then fades away), the rock/"gunflint" thing persists from start to end, and the cedar (which I find quite resolute) emerges more in the drydown. So from my perspective, it actually does go through a transition and isn't one-dimensional. I find the rock/gunflint thing to be a bit "stiff" (obviously?), and because of this, I am starting to think that it serves better with formal attire, as opposed to casual lounging. Oops. I wrote way more about TdH than I did about BtB
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    a) only wussies get headaches from perfume
    I'm assuming your saying this with a slight sense of humor DerangedGoose? Please clarify.

Many people (for various reasons) can get headaches from fragrances. This doesn't make them a 'wussy', it just means they're allergic to some aromachemical in the fragrance composition.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm assuming your saying this with a slight sense of humor DerangedGoose? Please clarify.

Many people (for various reasons) can get headaches from fragrances. This doesn't make them a 'wussy', it just means they're allergic to some aromachemical in the fragrance composition.
    Of course I am. People are sensitive and allergic to all sorts of things. Fortunately for me, fragrance isnt one of them (though copious dust or pollen will be the death of me) but I frequently see people say things like "this gave me a splitting headache INSTANTLY" or "it made me so nauseous i thought I had to vomit" and I chalk these things up more to obnoxious and snobby hyperbole than legitimate physiological reactions. Some people are just over the top.