Code of Conduct

Default Burberry The Beat FOR MEN

I hardly ever read anything about this fragrance here on the forum. I tested this at my local Macy's today and I truly am enjoying it. I have to admit it is a very different fragrance breaking away from the water / marine category which you would think this one would follow given its name.

The scent is centered around a tree called Dirca Palustis otherwise know as Leatherwood. Thought the bark / berries / flowers of the tree are toxic - The Beat captures the leather spicy notes of the leaves when crushed. It follows narciso rodriguez for him with its violet leaves and heavy musk accord.

This heavy spicy woody and leathery scent is the longest lasting I have ever encountered with Burberry - I just like it for it so different and dares to be heavy but not overpowering.
    Last edited by scentimus; 2nd February 2009 at 02:54 AM.

Default Re: Burberry The Beat FOR MEN

This is one of the mainstream scents that I want to look at this year.....Thanks for the info.
    Gary

To me, it's a mix of Narcisso Rodriguez, TdH, and Coriolan. The violet from Narcisso, pepper from TdH and a bit of the fruity 'feel' I get from Coriolan. It's a very nicely done scent, got it at a Burberry store this weekend. Going to go give it a full day's wearing at work tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.

Sounds more like a winter fragrance?
    I like most Burberry scents even though I only own Brit. Have to try this one. But the bottle is really an abomination, it looks like some sort of canteen with a nonsensical ribbon and the trademark tartan print. Ah well, the smell's what counts.

Sur la Plage

Meh. I thought it was OK - but nothing I feel I need/want to purchase.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Now you got my hopes up... as a fan of Narciso Rodriguez and Terre d'Hermes, I need to try this.

I was just at Macy's two days ago, and I didn't see it... I'll try Von Maur then.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    Sounds more like a winter fragrance?
    I like most Burberry scents even though I only own Brit. Have to try this one. But the bottle is really an abomination, it looks like some sort of canteen with a nonsensical ribbon and the trademark tartan print. Ah well, the smell's what counts.
    That is what I want to know. Is it like TdH in that is can be worn well all year?I'm wanting to give it a try.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    That is what I want to know. Is it like TdH in that is can be worn well all year?I'm wanting to give it a try.
    I don't think it is on the same level quality or versatility wise as TDH. I can see it working well in Spring, Winter, and Fall but the heat and humidity of the summer might make it too cloying.

It is another solid offering from Burberry and a well done violet prominent scent. I love anything with violet and pepper so I like the scent. Gave it a full day of wear at work, got two compliments on it which was nice, but the longevity of me was subpar at about six hours. That might be due to the fact my skin is dry as hell right now so I really need to moisturize better, the winter wrecks havoc on me.

This is a great scent. Worth the buy.

Burberry has another beautiful VIOLET scent: TOUCH and it's a musky soapy one. Can anybody compare them?
    Last edited by msi_21; 4th February 2009 at 03:20 PM.
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)

I sprayed this on myself at Sephora today. I don't get TdH or NR at all.

What I do get is the EXACT peppery spice of Gucci PH or Banana Republic Black Walnut or Tommy Bahama. It is sharp. Peppery and Spicy.Really online with all three and it dries down to a softer version. At first I thought this might be an attempt at a TB which is spicy for all seasons...the color of the juice too. But I then leaned toward Gucci PH for Fall and Winter. I enjoyed it and it lasted well.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th February 2009 at 03:03 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sounds interesting but I hate when artificial colors are used in fragrances. It seems like there's blue coloring in there.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh... I found it a bit boring and too light. Granted I sniffed it rather quickly at Nordstrom, but it really didn't do anything for me. I hadn't been to Nordstrom in about four months and was disappointed to see there weren't very many new releases (maybe three) over that period.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh... I found it a bit boring and too light. Granted I sniffed it rather quickly at Nordstrom, but it really didn't do anything for me. I hadn't been to Nordstrom in about four months and was disappointed to see there weren't very many new releases (maybe three) over that period.
    It actually was semi-strong on me and was lighter dried down but lasted 6 hours or more.
    --Ben Hogan

Very nice vetiver fragrance that reminds me of Lacoste pour homme in the top notes (organic chemistry lab / gasoline / volatile chemicals). The mid and base came really fast on my test, and were very lovely and EASY to wear. This is not anything original or groundbreaking...but it is a quality fragrance.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Meh. I thought it was OK - but nothing I feel I need/want to purchase.
    I agree... Nice, but forgettable...

I will have to revist this one. Last October when I was in Nordstrums in a New Jersey Mall the SA steered me away from it and said "Don't bother." I kid you not.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Rochas Lui is very similar to this. At first The Beat comes on like Chanel Allure Homme Cologne Sport, then it morphs into a Rochas Lui type of scent. Not bad, but not original.

My wife actually preferred the Sean Jean I AM KING that I had sprayed on my other arm! She did not know what either scent was before she picked it...if she had she would have picked the Burberry, I know her too well!

I AM KING smells like KC Reaction to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Rochas Lui is very similar to this. At first The Beat comes on like Chanel Allure Homme Cologne Sport, then it morphs into a Rochas Lui type of scent. Not bad, but not original.

My wife actually preferred the Sean Jean I AM KING that I had sprayed on my other arm! She did not know what either scent was before she picked it...if she had she would have picked the Burberry, I know her too well!

I AM KING smells like KC Reaction to me.
    I just read where people compared Lui to Gucci PH and that is what I was saying above. At first I couldn't figure out if it was Gucci PH or the same peppery/spice I got from Tommy Bahama or BR Black Walnut. Either way, it mirrors many of these.

Interesting on your wife. My wife is buying me a new bottle of something for my birthday and she never looks with me so this is a special treat. I'm really wondering what she will like since she thinks many scents now are too feminine and has always loved Burberry London.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 13th February 2009 at 03:57 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

To me, violet = violent headache.

Another exercise in vapidity. In this case 'the beat' does NOT go on.
    Last edited by graffham; 13th February 2009 at 06:10 PM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Another exercise in vapidity. In this case 'the beat' does NOT go on.
    Wow - all Burberry scents never last on me but this one chuggs on .....

I guess "I got the beat!" as the Go-Go's would sing...

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    To me, violet = violent headache.
    Wow , me too Sokkou. At least I am not the only one.

I may have to stay away from this, but will still likely sample anyway.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 13th February 2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: grammar

" Shake your meat to the Beat"

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Wow - all Burberry scents never last on me but this one chuggs on .....

I guess "I got the beat!" as the Go-Go's would sing...

Ok i sampled this one today at sephora's

i got back from my lunch break and two people made a comment in my area and said what is that horrible smell?

now it is possible they were talking about someone lunch. I have no idea, but I was not about to volunteer it could be coming from me. About 15 minutes later I decided to scrub it. Anyway I was not that impressed with it anyway

I bought a bottle off E-Bay. The Beat has no beat....barely a pulse....

I absolutely love it--and it lasted like 12 hours on my skin, which usually sucks up everything before the dry down even has a chance to peek through.

I thought it was a pretty good scent, a watered down, bright interpretation of vetiver extraordinaire and/or encre noire. I did not get any violet out of it. It is a very robust fragrance at the beginning, in the sense that its notes come together to form an organised and coherent whole. However, this unity disappears at the drydown, something I blame more on skin incompatibility than bad quality of juice.
    Last edited by irish; 23rd February 2009 at 03:59 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Looks like I have another fragrance to add to my try list. Looks promosing, and sounds promosing.
    unico grande amore.

I am loving this fragrance. It has a juicy citrus/fruit opening, layered over violet and a synthetic woods base of vetiver/cedar. I detect a decent amount of ISO E here as the woody base (I ALWAYS get a distinct vetiver/cedar combo with ISO E), it it has amazing longevity and great sillage. There's definitely a bit of musk and a hint of leather in the base as well. I gave it a full wear today from my sample and I'm going to buy it tomorrow. I love the bottle too, unique!

I suppose one exposed to richer scents could find it "boring", but I find it very pleasant and sexy, and my girlfriend thought it smelled great, which is a big deal, as she usually only enjoys aquatics, but the freshness of this wood clearly blends traditional with modern fragrance!
    Last edited by Sokkou; 26th March 2009 at 07:06 PM.

I like it! A lot.

To me, it smells a lot like Eau de Cartier Concentree. Sharp, spicy, woody green, but not too bright and not too subtle.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Tried it.. opening is really my thing.. though the woody base isn't my thing..
    unico grande amore.

[QUOTE=scentseeker;1423743]I don't think it is on the same level quality or versatility wise as TDH... QUOTE]

Ok, this nonsense has got to stop. It REALLLLY has got to stop. The worshipping of this damn Terre d' mothaf%&*n hermes is getting out of hand!!! I mean, it's ok. Hell, it was supposed to be this weeks purchase for me. Why? Well, I figured it was nice enough to make for a good spring/summer scent. But after my third sample of it this past Sunday, which I sampled alongside the wonderful The Beat, tdh simply came up short.

The thing about TDH is...it really isn't anything to sneeze at. I mean...I dunno...I think I actually may have been brainwashed into even considering purchasing tdh due to all the worship it gets on here. And that's something I have to live with. But really and truly-it is quite 1 dimensional...it doesn't seem to grow, change, or nothing on your skin. And that wouldn't be that bad if it started off as a spectacular scent. Thing is-it doesn't. It's just OK. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not bashing it at all, but really, this has to stop. It's really getting ridiculous.

And yes, I know this is a forum of opinions, which are bound to differ some, and we all have a right to our opinions. But my God! It just seems really strange the amount of worship this fragrance gets. Reallllly strange.

If you ask me, Burberry Beat >>>>>>> Terre D' Hermes.

Now back to scheduled programming.

Haha, while I wouldn't have said it quite like that, I totally agree Larwiz. I don't see what's so particularly high quality about a scent that is like 55% Iso E Super. It's way too strong, cloying, and headache inducing in many individuals. If it didn't induce a headache in me 75% of the time, I'd wear it every now and again as the smell itself is decent, but it really is not head and shoulders above 99% of releases like many on here seem to think it is. Just because you like it doesn't make it objectively better than nearly everything. I wouldn't say that about many of my faves at all (Ungaro II perhaps being the one scent I'd make an exception for. It IS richer, deeper, and more complex in an objective sense than most of what I've smelled, and I'd stick by that opinion even if I didn't like how it smelled).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I sampled it today, and to my nose it smelled almost identical to Versace Man eau
    fraiche. Anyone else get that?

All I get is an overwhelming grapefruit/pepper opening and a boring woody drydown. What am I missing here, guys??
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

It has been done before.And its name is Lagerfeld MAN (2002).
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120945/reviews.html
    Although I am the only one who detects cedar (and a lot of it) in the Beat, I find this one peppery indeed,slightly greener and less formal than Lagerfeld Man.Lasting power is more than acceptable.Suitable not only for the younger demographics.
    I am not certain if I like this one,but Brit and London tend to exude much more quality.
    By the way,the smaller (30 ml) bottle is a (nearly) a piece of art...
    Last edited by discovolante; 4th April 2009 at 09:37 PM.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Quote Originally Posted by dynastyd95 View Post
    I sampled it today, and to my nose it smelled almost identical to Versace Man eau
    fraiche. Anyone else get that?
    Yes, Eau Fraiche is more citrus in the top, and The Beat is more peppery/green/violet, but both have a distinctive ISO E Super synthetic base. I ended up returning my The Beat to Sephora two days after purchase, snagged the new Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey Eau D'ete Summer Edition.

what about the new issey version ?? a step forward to the classic ? or nothing to try... =)

Quote Originally Posted by omniray View Post
    what about the new issey version ?? a step forward to the classic ? or nothing to try... =)
    It's the original lightened up with grapefruit in the top and less herbs overall. Same punch without the headache or sourness. It's the original done right.

The Beat gave me an instant headache after i sprayed it to my arm at the mall. I do have to admit that it is better and more innovative than the rest of the generic fresh releases. But i don't think i'll be buying it anytime soon. Bottle design rocks thought.

a) only wussies get headaches from perfume

b) the Beat is pretty good, herbal and woody and the violet leaf gives it a slight floral body to it

c) TdH smells stale and gross. There's always crowds of girls at sephora dragging their boyfriends in, and their reaction to TdH is always the same: "yuck"
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; 5th April 2009 at 01:26 AM.

1) I think The Beat smells almost just like Eau de Cartier Concentree. (they are both carried at Nordstrom, so I recommend testing them side-by-side) I too get that peppery, green accord, which isn't exactly ground that hasn't been covered. Still though, this fragrance is nice. Burberry typically doesn't seem to make crap.

2) I like it! But I'm not sure I like it enough to buy it. If it IS as close to EdCC as I think (I need to test a bit more), AND it lasts longer, then it MIGHT be worth buying.

3) Terre d'Hermes smells like a rock. -which is pretty unique. I think it's uniqueness contributes to it's popularity. It might not deserve quite as much hype as it does get, (which has actually declined a bit from a couple years ago) but I think it is pretty cool. Ok, maybe it's not just rock. There's the grapefruit (which is pretty obvious in the beginning, but then fades away), the rock/"gunflint" thing persists from start to end, and the cedar (which I find quite resolute) emerges more in the drydown. So from my perspective, it actually does go through a transition and isn't one-dimensional. I find the rock/gunflint thing to be a bit "stiff" (obviously?), and because of this, I am starting to think that it serves better with formal attire, as opposed to casual lounging. Oops. I wrote way more about TdH than I did about BtB
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    a) only wussies get headaches from perfume
    I'm assuming your saying this with a slight sense of humor DerangedGoose? Please clarify.

Many people (for various reasons) can get headaches from fragrances. This doesn't make them a 'wussy', it just means they're allergic to some aromachemical in the fragrance composition.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm assuming your saying this with a slight sense of humor DerangedGoose? Please clarify.

Many people (for various reasons) can get headaches from fragrances. This doesn't make them a 'wussy', it just means they're allergic to some aromachemical in the fragrance composition.
    Of course I am. People are sensitive and allergic to all sorts of things. Fortunately for me, fragrance isnt one of them (though copious dust or pollen will be the death of me) but I frequently see people say things like "this gave me a splitting headache INSTANTLY" or "it made me so nauseous i thought I had to vomit" and I chalk these things up more to obnoxious and snobby hyperbole than legitimate physiological reactions. Some people are just over the top.