Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sweet/Sugary/Gourmand Scents

Ok - my wife likes me to wear sweeter scents like Blue Sugar, Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo di Sicilia and Virgin Island Water... I dont mind them occasionally but the sweetness does get to me after a while. I want to make my wife happy... and she seems to like me better when I smell Root Beer or Cotton Candy But need to find some that I might enjoy more. Any recommendations on "better" scents that will still satisfy her sweet/sugary/gourmand thing?

Default Re: Sweet/Sugary/Gourmand Scents

L'Artisan Amber Extreme is a little bit sweet. It's unisex, but I think a man could wear it better than a woman. Well, better than this woman, anywho! My husband says Cool Water-- he says it's a little sweet but not overbearing. Good luck! : )

You might want to try Rochas Man. It is quite sweet with coffee notes; and it has the merit of being cheap.
    So if you don't like it,at least you won't regret buying it.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

If I knew what you were looking for I could probably help out. For example, if you like lavender and sandalwood, I'd say sample Rochas Man first. If you want something more subtle, with coffee, plum, and mild spices, I'd say Jacomo Silver.

I would totally suggest Hanai Morie ( my spelling might be off)

SL Douce Amere
    MPG Amber Precieux
    Profumum Ambra Aurea
    Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax
    Jaipur Homme
    Bois 1920 Sandalo e The
    Bois 1920 Vetiver Ambratto
    Last edited by Asha; 2nd February 2009 at 04:26 AM.

I second the Rochas Man recommendation - and it's easy to find and very inexpensive.

Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense have a sweet/gourmand aspect, but they are also layered and very subtle. The Intense is hard to find (and sweeter), so perhaps just the Dior Homme.

I just tried a gourmand that gets little recognition - but very much deserves it - as a super-high quality, unisex gourmand that is complex but easy to wear with great sillage and longevity..... are you ready for the magic 'unknown' fragrance...... Dior Hypnotic Poison. You will see me promoting this over the next few weeks because it's awesome and more guys should know about it.

If you want tooth-decay sweet, there's a fragrance at Luckyscent you should try - Chia by Farmacia SS Anunziata. It's a gorgeous sugar gourmand.

PI and Bvlgari Black.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Also, take a look at jojoelle.com. I just found out about them, and they have a very long list of fragrances, most of which are sweet, but you can get something that also has a non-gourmand element to it.

I third Rochas Man,
    You might also like Ignition By Lomani and Opium PH.
    Good luck.

I second, in a big way, Dior Homme. Don't much like it myself but, then again, I don't much like A*men either. Still, both feel right at times.

Double-second Black! That was my first thought. It's not terribly or even very sweet, but it is multi-faceted and lovely. I wore it yesterday, in fact.

Datura Noir? Can't wrap my mind around it. I wear more "feminines" than masculine, probably, just given the size of my collection, but this SL strikes me as too womanly too pull off well. It is gorgeous, though, and my wife loves it.

Red Aoud? Maybe some other sweeter Montales?
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I fourth Rochas Man.

There are tons of fragrances that fit in your category, the question is what would help you to appreciate a gourmand? E.g. if smokyness/spicyness may make it more enjoyable for you, try YSL Body Kouros or SL Fumerie Turque.

Dior Bois d'Argent - iris patchouli honey = bliss

Profumum Antico Caruso is a really well done sweet almond. Very comfortable and satisfying to wear, esp in the winter months.

I kid you not Harajuku Lovers lil angel is like an explosion in a candy store !!!!!

Two words: Serge Lutens! Sweet and very complex, high quality scents. Check them out if you haven't already.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Fresh Cannabis Santal is worth a try.

Consider these 2:

Givenchy Very Irresistible Fresh Attitude: It's like cotton candy with extra sugar.

Zirh Corduroy: dry down is like Bulgari Black with a little cinnamon. Not overly sweet, but very gourmand. Has been described as a "delicious cake".

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I kid you not Harajuku Lovers lil angel is like an explosion in a candy store !!!!!
    So funny, I was going to say this, but I thought I was the only one who had smelled this...

My husband loves the smell of it. I think it smells like a teeny bopper girl actually (and so does the bottle), but hey...to each his own, right?

Speaking of Zirh Corduroy, I am wearing it today, just had lunch about 1 hour ago and its gourmand effect infused with an assortment of smells from coworkers' lunches around me is REALLY making me hungry already!

I'll have to agree with the Rochas Man recommendation.

The nice thing about this one is not only is a sweet gormand, inexpensive and long lasting...but it's quite good and complex and sophisticated too.

It doesn't quite hit you over the head like A*Men either. If I smelled Rohcas before I smelled A*Men I wouldn't have had the aversion to gourmands that I did for several years.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

If you want a elegant, more sophisticated version of A*Men, i will recomend L`Instant de Guerlain.
    A*Men is the most trendy and youthful of them, while L`Instant is the elegant, sophisticated, and classy of them.. IMO, L`instant is a winner!

Perhaps you and she can share a bottle of the wonderful Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri.
    I'm wearing it now, and it's goooooooood!

another Rochas Man supporter.....i actually think that its half brother from Bond # 9 New Haarlem is nowhere near as pleasant or enjoyable....

another bond # 9 recommendation - Nuits De Noho.....unisex heavy gourmand with gorgeous pineapple notes infused and some light florals......beautiful composition, enticing, sexual and alluring....lasts forever and appeals to both sexes.

one no one has mentioned yet (surprise surprise Mike Perez) is Paco Rabanne Black XS......sweet, sweet amber with pounds of strawberrry and light citrus to round it out.....youthful gourmand if there is any......so far havent met a woman who didnt enjoy this one.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Blog Entries

Lolita Lempicka au masculin. Totally.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Body Kouros and L Instant.....Just pick one of this magical pair.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentr d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Etro Etra
    Goutal Sables - maple syrup
    Habit Rouge - hard candy

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Profumum Antico Caruso is a really well done sweet almond. Very comfortable and satisfying to wear, esp in the winter months.
    Second that. I got a decant of this which introduced me to this house, and immediately ordered 3 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Perhaps you and she can share a bottle of the wonderful Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri.
    I'm wearing it now, and it's goooooooood!
    I think Loukhoum is the most beautiful scent I've ever smelled. I was surprised, though, to learn its been refomulated, but I doubt it has altered its beauty. Such a deep, rich, scent...it's so special to me I wear it only on rare occasions, scared that familiarity might alter my perceptions. Infinitely wearable by him or her, it's an unparalleled beauty.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    Lolita Lempicka au masculin. Totally.
    Second that!

Gaultier 2. You can almost taste the "sweet", plus a beautiful musk/vanilla drydown. To date, my go-to Sweet.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 3rd February 2009 at 06:32 AM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    I think Loukhoum is the most beautiful scent I've ever smelled. I was surprised, though, to learn its been refomulated, but I doubt it has altered its beauty. Such a deep, rich, scent...it's so special to me I wear it only on rare occasions, scared that familiarity might alter my perceptions. Infinitely wearable by him or her, it's an unparalleled beauty.
    Im with you on this one Butthead. My fave gourmand to date, that I love to wear to indulge my sweet-tooth!

Jaipur Homme is a good masculine vanilla-scent.
    If you're looking into Dior Homme; give the intense verision an extra wearing, it's the more gourmand-like of the three (cologne, edt, edp/intense).

For a hardcore alternative that I bet you wouldn't be able to resist either: Herms, Hermessence Collection - Ambre Narguile. Think homemade apple pie topped with cinnamon and vanilla.
    Last edited by Noalick; 3rd February 2009 at 10:36 AM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Bogart pour Homme comes to mind, as does (!!!) vintage Tabu. (Really a unisex thing, and a definite root beer vibe there.)

Rochas Man is great, too, especially if you like coffee.

Obsession NIght has a definite coconut note but lacks anything "sugary."

Carlos Santana for Men is all about apples, spice and musk. Fabulous juice for the money.

Chanel Allure pour Homme is not really a gourmand, but it comes close and still lacks the sweetness you find cloying.
    (Btw, Perry Ellis M is a great alternative to Allure if money is an issue.)

Givenchy Pi is a personal favorite, but may be a tad sweet for your taste. Try it first.

I keep hearing good things about A*men Pure Coffee, but I've yet to try it.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 12th February 2009 at 05:04 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Another vote for Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, I love that scent and it's so good your wife may life it for herself as well. Rochas Man is nice too, I bought that for my brother and he doesn't like sweet scents, but wears it all the time, it's not too sweet for you, but sweet enough that she may like it..

Montale's Sweet Oriental dream is the way to go...

Serge Lutens Chergui
    L'Artisan Tea for Two

These two I have tested. I cannot wear them, but then again I have a low tolerance for such smells. You might enjoy them though.

I totally recommend Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin and Rochas Man, cant go wrong with those two

Devotion for Men is one I forgot.

These are a litle more expensive than many others recommended but I think that they might work for you.

Omnia Ambra is a sweet gourmand with orange, almond and a vanillic amber. Your wife will want to eat you...
    SL Arabie. Sweet and dense like dried fruit
    Ava Luxe Ambre D'Or, sweet rich amber. Not really anything gourmand about though.
    MPG Ambre Preceiux
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Do give Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti a try. It's not as sweet as most of the others being mentioned here, so it won't make you feel uncomfortable with yourself wearing it.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I'm throwing in my vote for Cannabis Santal as well, in my opinion ( and in pretty much direct contradiction to the obvious marketing schtick of the name) it's a reserved gourmand for grown ups. It's sweet but more of a natural sweet without being cloying, and I can pick up the various fruit notes without them having been sacrificed to some sort of jam melange. Also the chocolate note is very clear but somehow you will avoid smelling like a cadbury bar with fruit and nuts. If you have a sephora around, you owe it to yourself to go in and try it on!

Also, it's not a monster of a scent that will leave a huge trail behind you ala A*men, it's basically a discrete gourmand for a more mature man.

I'd also like to recommend Polo Double Black, the mango and coffee mix sounds odd but it works! Has a more 'youthful' feel though, however it's easy to find so don't let that stop you from trying it!

Blog Entries

Il Profumo; Chocolate Amere
    Frapin 1270, Costes
    Mazzolari; Patchouli
    Annick Goutal; Sables

V/Valentino (cotton candy)

Xeryus Rouge (candied fruit)

Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge (tonka/fruity)
    Snarky is as snarky does.

A*Men Pure Coffee
    Paco Rabanne Ultrared
    Very Irresistible

And some feminine targeted fragrances you might enjoy include
    Flowerbomb
    Lolita Lempicka
    Insolence
    Angel
    Midnight Poison Elixir

Well, I think that the well-known and modern (or rather contemporary) classic Gucci Envy always had some gourmand connotations...

I fifth Rochas man

Rochas man is gourmand .. in fact it's the ony gourmand i can wear so far. It's quite nice, not too candy shop like.

Usually the gourmand fragrances are not my cup of tea.

I'm gonna have to say Rochas Man, simply due to the fact that it would fit the bill perfectly and is also very affordable.

For niche, I have to suggest a few of the PG scents, namely Cedar Sandaraque and Aomassai
    Last edited by alacious; 30th April 2009 at 11:17 PM.

I can't believe no one has suggested this yet:

L'Artisan - Mechant Loup

honey and hazelnuts. Great scent, just not exactly my style. I'm not usualy into gourmand.

If you just want sweet, try Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain, or YSL M7.
    - E.J.

Rochas Man has "gotten to me" at times as you put it. It is pretty smooth, I will admit, but after a couple of wears, I've had a little trouble with it. Au Masculin has a similar feel but does not make me queasy. I adore A*MEN. Zirh Ikon has a touch of gourmand sweetness to it that may work for both of you. That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by argogos; 1st May 2009 at 12:08 AM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Hanae Mori all the way. My favorite scent for colder days when I go to social outings.

Quote Originally Posted by scentseeker View Post
    I'm throwing in my vote for Cannabis Santal as well, in my opinion ( and in pretty much direct contradiction to the obvious marketing schtick of the name) it's a reserved gourmand for grown ups. It's sweet but more of a natural sweet without being cloying, and I can pick up the various fruit notes without them having been sacrificed to some sort of jam melange. Also the chocolate note is very clear but somehow you will avoid smelling like a cadbury bar with fruit and nuts. If you have a sephora around, you owe it to yourself to go in and try it on!

Also, it's not a monster of a scent that will leave a huge trail behind you ala A*men, it's basically a discrete gourmand for a more mature man.

I'd also like to recommend Polo Double Black, the mango and coffee mix sounds odd but it works! Has a more 'youthful' feel though, however it's easy to find so don't let that stop you from trying it!
    i own rochas man, HM EDP and Cannabis Santal (ya i know i just love orientals/woody/gourmands...) and i gotta say i totally agree with the above, the sexiest out of them cannabis santal... not your typical in your face gourmand but so mature and sexy...

I really recommend sampling MPG's Bois de Turquie. It smells a bit like cream soda, (bay leaf + cinnamon + vanilla and orris), and transitions into a sweet but slightly leathery orris heart, and then dries down to myrrh, vanilla, and a light incense. It's sweet throughout, but evolves wonderfully and actually has a fair bit of depth. Light enough for summer use, too.

It's not a full blown gourmand like A*Men or Rochas Man, but an interesting lighter interpretation of a gourmand/incense/spice frag. At first, it really does smell quite akin to cream soda (just not so effervescent - but instead smooth and a bit creamy) - so if your wife likes the smell of cream soda, this is a must try!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Two highly recommended gourmands:

Ayala Moriel's Immortelle L'Amour, a warm, rich vanilla touched with cinnamon and moderated with immortelle. Delicious but not overbearing.

Parfumerie Generale's Cedre Sandaraque, a warm, smooth cedar with amber and cotton candy. Sounds disgusting but is really quite smooth and well done! The cotton candy note is subtle.

I didn't care for Rochas Man, but a gorgeous friend of mine couldn't stop smelling my arm the rest of the night where i'd sampled it at a Sephora.

I used to despise Gourmands, but have changed my tune for the following:

1) Lolita Lempicka au Masculine - just so unique and different its a must-own. Licorice and vanilla.

2) JP Gauliter Le Male - despised this for years, but wore it yesterday on my skin for the first time ever and was blown away. On me it smelled like Dr. Pepper with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Got tons of compliments too from coworkers which proves my theory that most women love gourmands.

3) Jaipur - utter class with spice.

4) Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant - made for women, usable by anyone. Nothing smells like this spicy, vanilla chai romp through the forest. The cinnamon seems to literally sparkle off your skin for hours on end. My most complimented wear ever was the first time I wore this. It was unreal.(it is not a meek scent so apply lightly).

5) Dunhill Desire - cheap to buy but the combo of lime, vanilla and maybe apple smells synthetically fantastic. Gets alot of attention from men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I didn't care for Rochas Man, but a gorgeous friend of mine couldn't stop smelling my arm the rest of the night where i'd sampled it at a Sephora.

I used to despise Gourmands, but have changed my tune for the following:

1) Lolita Lempicka au Masculine - just so unique and different its a must-own. Licorice and vanilla.

2) JP Gauliter Le Male - despised this for years, but wore it yesterday on my skin for the first time ever and was blown away. On me it smelled like Dr. Pepper with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Got tons of compliments too from coworkers which proves my theory that most women love gourmands.

3) Jaipur - utter class with spice.

4) Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant - made for women, usable by anyone. Nothing smells like this spicy, vanilla chai romp through the forest. The cinnamon seems to literally sparkle off your skin for hours on end. My most complimented wear ever was the first time I wore this. It was unreal.(it is not a meek scent so apply lightly).

5) Dunhill Desire - cheap to buy but the combo of lime, vanilla and maybe apple smells synthetically fantastic. Gets alot of attention from men and women.
    Second the Lolita and Le Male for winter gourmand , and strange enough if you combine Lolita and Le Male then minus half of the sweetness then you will have Lolita Lempicka au Masculin Fraicheur which suitable for hotter months.

By the way, Desire doesn't seems to be a gourmand for me though.

Another vote for SL Douce Amere.

Yohji homme!

And I've just tried out a new gourmand scent- Ungaro's Apparition. Wonderful too though I'd not put it on the same list as the above two.
    Last edited by xmen; 2nd May 2009 at 12:28 PM.