Code of Conduct

Default Luxurious Darkness?

I had a sample of Antaeus, and for when it was made it is such an impressive scent to this day and why not further.

It has this magnificent Dirty Darkness sense to it when you originally breathe it in and after you stop the scent lingers and has this bee's wax finish with a twist of something, the labdanum I'm guessing that pushes the scent to touch on something golden and high end an amazing finish for it's earthly start.

I'm wondering if there's anything that has the brooding deep heart and then has a perhaps more classy end maybe turning oriental?
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Luxurious Darkness?

so, not turning oriental per se, but Black Aoud by Montale is my luxurious dark fragrance of choice. Brooding is the word that comes to mind immediately when thinking of Black Aoud.

Luxurious and dark = Kilians. especially Cruel intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Luxurious and dark = Kilians. especially Cruel intentions.
    I'm to easily swayed by the reviews, however I'll get a sample when I get the time/money

perhaps I'm asking for something that doesn't exist
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

I´d suggest trying some of the masculine serge lutens out there; MKK, Arabie, blabla Tumerique. They aren´t dark and brooding but very luxurious and warm and maybe a bit gritty, dirty even. I haven´t tried Antaeus though.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Sur la Plage

I would suggest trying Salvador Dali pour Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Has anyone tried Feminitè du Bois?

It seems to have a few characteristics I might be looking for, does it have a warm oriental drydown or something different as it looks like it might be hinted at in the reviews

Lalique Encre Noir is the only in my collection that does that for me...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by ++++ View Post
    Has anyone tried Feminitè du Bois?

It seems to have a few characteristics I might be looking for, does it have a warm oriental drydown or something different as it looks like it might be hinted at in the reviews
    It's beautiful. Even more so in Bois de Violette, which is the violet-version.

Not sure if you're a patchouli lover, but I just bought a bottle of Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange, and it's quite dark. Other rec's - Cuir de Russie, Avignon, and Bal a Versaille.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    It's beautiful. Even more so in Bois de Violette, which is the violet-version.

Not sure if you're a patchouli lover, but I just bought a bottle of Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange, and it's quite dark. Other rec's - Cuir de Russie, Avignon, and Bal a Versaille.
    Is the violet version sweeter?

I'm not really one for over sweet scents, muted sweet i can handle, even soft sweet. I don't like male scents that scream for attention really (dior homme was to much for me)

Thanks for your help guys btw

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would suggest trying Salvador Dali pour Homme.
    I'll second that. It's just really dark stuff. I always get a cozy Twin Peaks feeling when I wear Salvador Dali Pour Homme. It doesn't go oriental, but it stays deep and dark the whole way through. It lasts the whole day and is quietly enveloping.

Jil Sander Background. I think I didn't buy a full bottle, because I didn't want to be always sad.

Basenotes Institution

Orris by Tauer

You might want to try Black Earth by Neil Morris also.

I wonder if a patchouli might fit the bill. Tonatto's Re, Mazzolari Lui, and in a very different way L'Artisan Voleur de Roses have a very saturated, earthy, rich feeling to them.

I think something with oud for that dark, brooding feel. Montale Black Aoud came to my mind as well, but I also think YSL M7 would work. Just fits well with that smoldering, sensual, but brooding persona.

Off-Scenter

Further endorsement of Black Aoud and Mazzolari Lui. Consider also:

Or Black
    Lauder for Men
    Santal Noble
    Jubilation XXV
    Knize Ten
    Idole
    Eau Lente
    Avignon
    Paestum Rose
    Noir Epices

Check the reviews on these and see if any of them sound appealing!

I second the Mazzolari Lui and would add Tobacco Vanille. They've both got this dark luxury vibe going that I totally love.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

TF Noir de Noir
    Michael Kors for Men
    John Varvatos
    M7

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Off-Scenter

Oops! I forgot Washington Tremlett Black Tie and Czech & Speake No. 88. Both easily fit the bill for dark luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Not sure if you're a patchouli lover, but I just bought a bottle of Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange, and it's quite dark.
    Patchouli fan that I am, I must try this.

The ‘luxurious darkness’ of Serge Lutens Serge Noire and Borneo 1834 come to mind. Profumum Patchouly and Les Néréides Patchouli Antique provide and earthy experience as well.

I also agree with Michael Kors Michael for Men, M7, and Santal Noble.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme - a deep red rose wrapped in black leather, this is luxury!!

Blog Entries

still the darkest scent i've ever tried is encre noire.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Patchouli fan that I am, I must try this.

The ‘luxurious darkness’ of Serge Lutens Serge Noire and Borneo 1834 come to mind. Profumum Patchouly and Les Néréides Patchouli Antique provide and earthy experience as well.

I also agree with Michael Kors Michael for Men, M7, and Santal Noble.
    Serge Noire smells luxurious and dirty, very v(ir)ile on a man, very whore on a lady.
    Really smells like dirty sex for rich persons.
    Great fragrance, but when considering other Lutens, so-so staying power.
    As long as it lasts, the sillage is great.

Kolnisch Juchten is dark yet very gentle. Recomended!

AromiErotici

Morabito Or Black to me is really....well BLACK. Everything about is screams dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Mazzolari Lui
    The reviews are pointing in the right direction I'll sample this one too.

&

Encre Noir

Look's interesting, encre noir doesn't feel like what I'm looking for, but no top notes, sounds like it's a must try

And stephan just slung Serge Noire into the list heh, what a description.
    Last edited by ++++; 4th February 2009 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme - a deep red rose wrapped in black leather, this is luxury!!
    I second that.

Zino is another dark fragrance that you might like.

Andy Warhol's Silver Factory, Bandit, Dune feminine, Black Violet and Cuir de Russie.

Encre Noire is strikingly dark (everything my husband wears seems to be called "black" something) but very cold. I respect it, but don't find it very inviting. Eau Noire, which he wears often, is dark in a very, different, spicy and almost creamy way, which I love. Eau Lente is one I wear myself --- it's bracingly clove-y at first and very enveloping, so maybe dark. I find it totally addictive.