Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How did this happen? I am in love with narciso rodriguez

I don't know how this happened. The other day when I went to get my backup bottle of Prada Amber from Nordstrom, I tried Narciso Rodriguez. I have tried it in the past and I have hated it. But when I smelled it I LOVED IT! My wife hated it and said it was gross. She said it was for an "older man." But I loved it, so i bought it immediately! The fragrance came with a gift pack, it came with a 3 oz bottle, an after shave and a shower gel, and 2 samples. My favorite SA hooked me up with three 1oz shower gels and three 1 oz after shave. She also hooked me up with some samples of Narciso. I loved it so much, the next day I went back and bough t another one as a backup for my wine cooler. My favorite sales clerk gave me 10 samples of the musc oil. She showed me how I can take apart the official narciso sample, and fill it with a lil musc oil and the rest with the edt, that way it can be layered. I did just that, and now I AM IN LOVE! This is all I have been wearing the last two days and my wife has been hating it. But it smells so good it is almost aroma therapeutic. I don't understand how this happened. I went from thinking this is the nastiest fragrance ever, into loving it sooo much! Has anyone else had this happen to them. Where you HATE a fragrance at first with a passion and then you end up falling in love with it?
    Last edited by Maz24; 2nd February 2009 at 07:55 AM.

Default Re: How did this happen? I am in love with narciso rodriguez

So it is possible to love NR! That's comforting because I have a full bottle and don't know what to do with it.
    What's your secret?

It's no mystery to me. It's a great scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    So it is possible to love NR! That's comforting because I have a full bottle and don't know what to do with it.
    What's your secret?
    Don't just give up on NRFH, just yet mate....Let the weather cool down and who knows how you begin to percieve it then

I swapped mine, I could not take the violent violet note and his blatant similarity to Grey Flannel.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Sur la Plage

I have had that reaction to several fragrances - from initially despising it to loving it. This included Narciso Rodriguez for Him, which happens to be my SOTD. I think it is fantastic.

I usually will try fragrances multiple times before making a "final" decision on it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Happened a few times w/ me. My philosophy is, wait around here on Basenotes enough, and you'll see everyone do a 180 on a particular fragrance at least once.

The way you've described mixing the NR musk oil w/ the fragrance sounds fantastic. Enjoy!

Muscs for Him oil by NR is an incredible fragrance.

I love to use it alone or layered with other fragrances.

Same happened with me... that sneaky lil bastard
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Don't just give up on NRFH, just yet mate....Let the weather cool down and who knows how you begin to percieve it then
    Yep, I think that's the 'secret'. I tried it in the heat of summer. Some people don't like it because of a perceived similarity to Grey Flannel, but that's the reason I bought it in the first place. Initially I really liked but it slowly burnt its way into my brain and I had to wash it off.
    Reminds me of those old experiments where scientists put methane and ammonia in a large glass jar and passed high voltages through it, trying to emulate the development of life on other planets by turning it into a soup of primordial organic molecules! Except with NR, they used a mixture of Le Male and Grey Flannel. I'm sure there is life in there, but not as we know it!

I liked NRfH from the get-go, but I don't wear it very often anymore. I seem to recall that some earlier BN threads mentioned that women seem to be generally turned off by it, although that's a broad generalization. In fact, I had one compliment from a female acquaintance, so who knows.

And no, I haven't yet experienced the 180 turn-around that you described. My appreciation of certain fragrances has ebbed and flowed over time, but not to the point of loving something that I initially loathed. So enjoy your new love if it works for you!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Is very nice NR....super chic and cool....You have good taste.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like it a lot but i think the woman's version is much better.

Blog Entries

this stuff basically smells like mold....if i wasn't familliar with the malodorous indecency which is contained in microbiology labs, i might have given this a chance-----unfortunately i AM aware of what mold smells like, hence my disregard for this pungent mess!

Count me as one who initially loved it upon receiving the bottle but quickly fell out of love. I gave the bottle away.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I liked NRfH from the get-go, but I don't wear it very often anymore. I seem to recall that some earlier BN threads mentioned that women seem to be generally turned off by it, although that's a broad generalization. In fact, I had one compliment from a female acquaintance, so who knows.

And no, I haven't yet experienced the 180 turn-around that you described. My appreciation of certain fragrances has ebbed and flowed over time, but not to the point of loving something that I initially loathed. So enjoy your new love if it works for you!
    My wife HATES IT! But my sister likes it, she wears the women's version, my mom loves it, and today I saw my aunt and she was like wow you smell great. I had layered the musc with the fragrance, so that may be the secret. I still can't believe I like it so much. I now have two bottles, and can't seem to wear anything else but it......

by the way this is totally off the subject, but for anyone who is a fan of Prada man....I just bought another big bottle of it for 30 bucks at Costco. So if you like Prada Amber (man) next time you guys are at Costco keep your out for it. My wife actually loves Prada Man, she really didn't like it that much in the beginning(so maybe there is hope for her liking Narciso) but now she loves it so much, she told me to but it at Costco. And then when we got home, she wanted one of my smaller bottles of it for herself.
    Last edited by Maz24; 3rd February 2009 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    My wife HATES IT! But my sister likes it, she wears the women's version, my mom loves it, and today I saw my aunt and she was like wow you smell great. I had layered the musc with the fragrance, so that may be the secret. I still can't believe I like it so much. I now have two bottles, and can't seem to wear anything else but it.......
    My faith in NRfH is restored! And you're right, the musk is very nice and layers well with the EdT.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

members here have always maintained/recommended NR Musc oil over the actual fragrance...i guess it's about time i procure one..

btw, i still appreciate the fragrance, at the same time, it's not very hard to see what in it repels most here

Initially I though Grey Flannel was OK, but comparing it to NR the former smells cheap and nasty. I agree NF for Her is great stuff.

I am so excited! I just went out earlier this evening and bought myself a valentine's day gift from my fave SA.....Narciso Rodriguez Musc...I am in love.....
    Last edited by Maz24; 15th February 2009 at 10:59 AM.

Maz24, I'm glad you're enjoying this great scent. It's on my to-buy list. I think it's one of the very few scents that came out in the recent years that is different than all the other fresh and clean ones. Its character reminds me of Chanel Antaeus.
    For me, it's the musk that makes it really enjoyable. It's interesting how the combination of violets and musk worls so well. If you ever want to experience a verrrry light and cleaner version of this, try Montale's White Musk too.
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Maz24, I'm glad you're enjoying this great scent. It's on my to-buy list. I think it's one of the very few scents that came out in the recent years that is different than all the other fresh and clean ones. Its character reminds me of Chanel Antaeus.
    For me, it's the musk that makes it really enjoyable. It's interesting how the combination of violets and musk worls so well. If you ever want to experience a verrrry light and cleaner version of this, try Montale's White Musk too.
    RM
    Thanks for the suggestion, I might have to give that a try.....nut I am kind of torn right now, do I want to buy another bottle of the musc ( i haven't even opened this one) or do I want to save my money and get something else?

I adore NR aswell bigtime. I'ts still on my wishlist, and I will buy it soon!
    unico grande amore.

Yesterday I bought it! finally.
    unico grande amore.

This is a love/hate frag. I love NR. Something different compared to the fresh/aquatic brigade out there.

Gothic and melancholy but not in a contrived way. Bar none, the best scent I've come across to wear on a cool, rainy, overcast day or evening.

It may just be the honeymoon phase but I'd definitely put this in my top 10, and perhaps even top 5.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Aaarrg! I "hate" it when i come across threads like this!!! Smell like (the great) Grey Flannel? Musk (my fave note)??? I have been ignoring NRfH at my favourite outlet. Now i have to get it - Eyes wide shut!!!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I assume this is the for Him version.... in which case, I think it stinks, and I turned the smelling strip away.

OTOH, see my wardrobe and you notice I'm now a new proud owner who 5-starred the NR for Her EDT version....

I have a bottle of NR For Him and I've been up and down with it. It is so unique and so specific that it can't be worn as often as many others. But when I'm in the mood for it I love it. Kind of like certain types of music. I actually think it is good that our tastes change.

I hear you bro... I too am confused... I got the GF and then realised its a completely different monster from NR...so vacillated there for a while and finally got the NR limited edition bottle....the silver bottle

its amazing... I;ve been drenching my self in NR- and loved every moment of it...tomorrow am planning to OD on NR enroute to the office.

Somehow i find the sample was long lasting than the stuff from the bottle.... any observations on the longevity?

on me its just 3 hrs of heaven.....anyone knows the secret to extend this puppy?