Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: How did this happen? I am in love with narciso rodriguez

Once I saw this perfumed I liked it before smelling it!! and when I smelled it I fall in love with it.....

it's best to be used in winter...

Count me in as another who just did a 180 on this one.

When I tried this before, I thought it was one of the most awful scents ever. Screechy, violent dry violet leaf mess.

Oddly, two nights ago I was sitting at home and the smell of Narciso Rodriguez somehow materialized in my head. I don't know if it was a phantom smell or what (I was having a bad migraine episode earlier), but the next day I had an odd craving for this scent which I originally hated.

I went out and bought a bottle of it today. I'm really surprised that I like this. It hits the nose in kind of an extreme way and I think in the end that's what puts it over the line for me. It's very sharp and arid-- not unlike Versace Black Jeans but with different notes. It's a bit like green bananas and green peppers, which I like. The only thing about it that I'm not huge on is that slight powdery muskiness that lurks under the surface, but it's balanced pretty well and adds an interesting counterpoint I suppose.

It's a very unusual fragrance, not much like other designer offerings lately. I never expected to like this one, but now I do.

Your original review of it, Indie_Guy

"This is a violet leaf disaster.

It smells like a five year old made a taco out of grass and banana peels."

NR is an odd beast but I sure do love it. Is it just me or is that powdery musk thing sort of a Kurkdjian signature? It's definitely present in FdM and if I recall, Le Male, too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

i tried it once and didnt like it ...but im eager now to try it again .... i had an opposite experince, i felt in love with obsession night for men and wrote a very enthusiastic review about it but now i dont love that much ......

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Your original review of it, Indie_Guy

"This is a violet leaf disaster.

It smells like a five year old made a taco out of grass and banana peels."

NR is an odd beast but I sure do love it. Is it just me or is that powdery musk thing sort of a Kurkdjian signature? It's definitely present in FdM and if I recall, Le Male, too.
    The funny thing is... I still stand behind my original review. Yet, somehow I now find it appealing on account of its weirdness. Sometimes, I guess you pass by a five year old with a "grass and banana peel taco stand" on the sidewalk and you say to yourself, "he should be selling Kool-Aid, but what the hell!" Hmmm... I hadn't noticed the Kurkdjian connection with FdM and Le Male. I'll have to spend some more time with this. It definitely has tenacity. I tried to wash my arm earlier, and that musky base clings for dear life!

Dependent

I bought it the very first time i tested it. I dont find it at all "old" I wasn't in love with it initially, but it grew on me quite fast. and what was said about 180 change of taste/regard/preference is so true for me with many frags. Though there are a few that will always be relevant musts regardless of time imo.
    Last edited by MFJ; 9th May 2009 at 10:22 AM.

What's with this older man stuff ? What does an old man smell like ? This in no way would qualify as an old man scent.....Gary

This is no old man stuff, that's for sure. You'll need to learn appreciate it though, I think, but it's definently one of my best!
    unico grande amore.

Well, since we're on the subject of NR...
    I recently bought a bottle (minus the box) and it's instantly a favorite.

To any of you NR for Him owners that still have the box: Is oakmoss listed in the ingredients??

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Well, since we're on the subject of NR...
    I recently bought a bottle (minus the box) and it's instantly a favorite.

To any of you NR for Him owners that still have the box: Is oakmoss listed in the ingredients??
    Just checked.. though couldn't find oakmoss on it actually.. maybe it has another name on it, since they all sound like laboratory names.
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    Just checked.. though couldn't find oakmoss on it actually.. maybe it has another name on it, since they all sound like laboratory names.
    Evernia Prunastri extract, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Evernia Prunastri extract, maybe
    Nope, not on the box..
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    Nope, not on the box..
    Hmmm. Then it must be a synthetic oakmoss accord in the formulation, which would explain the longevity issue on my skin.

Thanks for checking!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    The funny thing is... I still stand behind my original review. Yet, somehow I now find it appealing on account of its weirdness. Sometimes, I guess you pass by a five year old with a "grass and banana peel taco stand" on the sidewalk and you say to yourself, "he should be selling Kool-Aid, but what the hell!" Hmmm... I hadn't noticed the Kurkdjian connection with FdM and Le Male. I'll have to spend some more time with this. It definitely has tenacity. I tried to wash my arm earlier, and that musky base clings for dear life!
    All the Kurkdjian men's scents I've smelled have that sort of soft and "fuzzy" texture to the odor, if that makes sense. I think he also did Citizen Queen Juliette Has a Gun which I don't recall having that texture - perhaps it's just a men's side thing.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I personally have ALWAYS loved NRFH from the first spritz. I didn't even have to wait for it to cool down. I always thought it was very unique. I think it an amazing perfume that can be worn by men and women. Also, I prefer the EDT instead of the EDP, which is unusal to me

Is this the musk by NR? I got a sample of that and almost gagged on the wet, rotting tea bag in a muddy puddle of water scent. lol.

. . but from what i read, it grows on you. like fungus.

I wore it to work tonight and really liked it. It's a bit macho with its rough edges. Kind of makes me think of a greaser with a comb sticking from his back pocket. Kind of smells like hairspray-- not unlike Black Jeans and Rive Gauche Pour Homme. The powdery musky sweet notes flickered in and out and I got an Obsession for Men deja vu-- though the scent overall is nothing like it.

The bottle is a trip. Looks like a bottle of gun-metal nail polish.

I haven't tried the Musc for Him. It's a bit pricey. I wonder if it's worth trying...

I now own this scent too and love it. However, it's not the powerhouse scent i thought it would be on my skin--still, I don't have a problem with it. It's just not as long-lasting or loud as I thought it would be.
    I also made sure to get a sample of the musc oil since I read here that it's being discontinued. It's good but very quiet on my skin. I decided to skip that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Is this the musk by NR? I got a sample of that and almost gagged on the wet, rotting tea bag in a muddy puddle of water scent. lol.

. . but from what i read, it grows on you. like fungus.
    Nope, it's not the Musk.. that's another version/flanker, the edP if I'm right.. you need to try the NR - for Him edt.
    unico grande amore.

I recently bought Narciso Rodriguez for Him blind from an airport (they didn't have a tester for it and none of the stores in my home town carry this fragrance). When I tried it for the first time at home I immediately liked it. It's very similar to Antaeus in my opinion, but less elegant and simpler. So I do find Antaeus to be superior, but I also like NRfH quite a lot, so I enjoy having it as an interesting alternative to Antaeus. I'm not sure if I'll buy a new bottle of NRfH when my 50ml bottle runs out, but that might not happen in many years, so I'm going to just enjoy the bottle I have now.

It's probably the patchouli that's in both fragrances that makes them smell similar to my nose. Seems I like patchouli... whatever that is. Probably a plant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current top 12:
    Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta Edizione Riviera, Chanel - Antaeus pour Homme, Chanel - Coco Mademoiselle Eau de Parfum, Christian Dior - Dior Homme Intense, Gucci - Gucci pour Homme II, Guerlain - Vetiver, Prada - Infusion d'Iris, Thierry Mugler - Mugler Cologne, Yves Saint Laurent - Body Kouros, Yves Saint Laurent - Jazz, Yves Saint Laurent - Kouros, Yves Saint Laurent - M7

Quote Originally Posted by Utkuak View Post
    I recently bought Narciso Rodriguez for Him blind from an airport (they didn't have a tester for it and none of the stores in my home town carry this fragrance). When I tried it for the first time at home I immediately liked it. It's very similar to Antaeus in my opinion, but less elegant and simpler. So I do find Antaeus to be superior, but I also like NRfH quite a lot, so I enjoy having it as an interesting alternative to Antaeus. I'm not sure if I'll buy a new bottle of NRfH when my 50ml bottle runs out, but that might not happen in many years, so I'm going to just enjoy the bottle I have now.

It's probably the patchouli that's in both fragrances that makes them smell similar to my nose. Seems I like patchouli... whatever that is. Probably a plant.
    You know, I was getting a comparison with Antaeus as well, but I was a bit embarrassed to mention it! Granted they are very different overall, there is a similarity. I think my nose detects isobutyl quinoline in Narciso Rodriguez for Men-- it's a key part of Antaeus as well. Yes, Antaeus is greatly superior, but NR for Him is a good recent release. A fiery green arid heat over a cool grey musky base.