Code of Conduct

Default Biggest fragrance failures?

Mine:

A La Nuit - sh*t pur on me, so sorry about it.
    Clinique Aromatics Elixir - absolute incompatibility with my chemistry, turned to nausea, agony, all the worst.

Default Re: Biggest fragrance failures?

A La Nuit is one of my most valued treasures!

The one that really flopped, IMO, was Prince's 3112 - or whatever the darn number was - complete and utter flop, not just on my skin, but also with the general public.

Le Baiser du Dragon-- I bought it because I liked the name. Huge mistake. It turned out to be the worst, most confused perfume I've ever tried.

Ralph by Ralph Lauren-- Purchased on a whim, because it was on sale at Walgreens. Made me smell like Hawaiian Punch. Cloying, tutti-frutti awful.

BTW, I didn't like Aromatics Elixir either, when I first tried it. It has to be worn in small, small amounts. Then it's wonderful.
    Last edited by Cutecthulu; 2nd February 2009 at 04:00 PM.

So many over the years that I will limit my entries to recent disasters:

Mauboussin: I'm aware this has a following, but it was carcinogenic on me: ashes and tobacco, reminded me of cleaning out a car's ashtray while wearing baby powder. Very sharp sandalwood drydown that made my salivary glands jet in response.

Bond No. 9 Nuits de Noho: The ultimate perfume slumgullion. Smelled a bit like Molinard Nirmala at the top and then it descended into a hodgepodge of penny candy and patchouli. There may have been a candle thrown in there, but who can tell?

Violette Angel: Why not leave well enough alone? None of these flankers worked for me, but I convinced myself that the violet version was the least offensive of the three (this is stricltly because it was at discount). Unwearably weird. This wasn't violet, it was an abstraction of the color violet--you can't fool me.

Rounding out this list (and keep in mind these were all things I purchased, leading me to carp that I am due for something I like) was Eau de Star. This was peppery cuke and hay on me, and I tried to defend it on the grounds that it was intended to have a relationship to Angel, except it didn't.

These misses were in the past month or so. In November, I struck out with Tann Rokka Aki.

A impulse purchase not long ago from Marshalls...Halston Catalyst....OMG, it smells like cat pee on me. It smells like dirty nursing homes and death!!! Imho.. on me anyway.Gack!!!

I think Demeter's Suntan Lotion is just an epic fail.

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    ...Halston Catalyst... It smells like dirty nursing homes and death!!!
    THAT is truly a vile smell! I will steer clear of HC!

Off-Scenter

Timbuktu: I've tried it more times than I can count, and it still turns my stomach.

Miel de Bois: There's a reason Lutens discontinued this one. Smelled like I'd peed in my pants and then kept wearing them for a few days.

Any of the Parfums Raffy house scents: What were they thinking???

Secretions Magnifiques: Simultaneously dull and repulsive. The fact that Luca Turin likes this stuff thoroughly impugns his credibility.

Montale Wood-Spices: Just shockingly bad.

Outrageous!: The dumbest release I can recall by any "good" fragrance house. Go shoot the boob in marketing who thought this one up. Then put a black mark on Sophia Grojsman's resume. She should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post

Miel de Bois: There's a reason Lutens discontinued this one. Smelled like I'd peed in my pants and then kept wearing them for a few days.
    Thank you for an early morning chuckle.

Shalimar (EdC and EdP). Despite my love affair with all things Guerlain, this one makes me smell like a cheap plastic baby doll. I have not tried the pure perfume. Perhaps IT would be different...sigh...
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Hillaire

Lancome Magnifique
    Estee Lauder Sensuous
    Bvlgari Omnia and Amethyste
    Harajuku Lovers -- all five
    And old, but BAD: Poeme