Code of Conduct

Default Sorting Fragrances

Ok so of the colognes I wear, I generally know which ones I like and which ones I don't like. What I need help with is sorting these out into the proper categories, ie Woods, Spicy, Citrus, etc etc. By doing this, hopefully I can understand the kind of fragrance that I like.

I would have done this on my own except I read somewhere that John Varvatos Vintage was a SPICY fragrance. Now, when I think of spicy, I think of something like Opium with the black peppers and black currant. On another site, I found that Varvatos Vintage was categorized as a Woody fragrance. Would anyone like to correct these two sites and correct me if I am too narrowly thinking of the term "spicy" ?

Also, would anyone mind telling me the categories of the following kinds of fragrances?
    John Varvatos Vintage
    Bvlgari Black
    Carlos Santana (and Armani Diamonds)
    Banana Republic Cordovan
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himilaya
    Nicole Miller
    Aramis Havana

Thank you all for any help.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Sorting Fragrances

There are several sites that can assist you;

http://www.osmoz.com/fragrances

http://www.fragrantica.com
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    There are several sites that can assist you;

http://www.osmoz.com/fragrances

http://www.fragrantica.com
    Thank you very much. I have taken the time to categorize my own fragrances but a quesiton still remains.

What do you define as spicy (as in ingredients and overall smell)? And same for woody? The first thing I smell with Varvatos Vintage is a sweet fruity smell. How can that be spicy in any sense?

It can't.

As you've said, you've taken the time to categorize your own fragrances, be content.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

The way I do it is to not categorize them by types as a fragrance can be incorporated into many groups. I find the best way to do it is to sort them in order of your best/most worn at the top of a wardrobe and have your least worn/least favourite at the bottom.
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Quote Originally Posted by urgetopurge View Post
    What do you define as spicy (as in ingredients and overall smell)? And same for woody? The first thing I smell with Varvatos Vintage is a sweet fruity smell. How can that be spicy in any sense?
    I am not being flippant when I ask, what is the second or third thing you smell?

Most fragrances go through a character-changing progression starting with the lighter top notes which give way to the middle notes and finally ending with the heavier base notes. Many spicy notes don't come to the fore until the middle notes make an appearance.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I thought that your thread title was snorting fragrances! I was about to have a intervention, and get you over to ernie gallo's clinic!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I am not being flippant when I ask, what is the second or third thing you smell?

Most fragrances go through a character-changing progression starting with the lighter top notes which give way to the middle notes and finally ending with the heavier base notes. Many spicy notes don't come to the fore until the middle notes make an appearance.
    Ah I see. After a while, the Varvatos Vintage transforms into a more human musky scent. I guess I just had to get past the Juniper berries. I guess this is why its considered a woody/spicy scent...

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I thought that your thread title was snorting fragrances! I was about to have a intervention, and get you over to ernie gallo's clinic!
    Haha, no im not snorting fragrances... yet

Quote Originally Posted by urgetopurge View Post
    The first thing I smell with Varvatos Vintage is a sweet fruity smell. How can that be spicy in any sense?
    Wait for the drydown.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant