Code of Conduct

Question Coming Up Roses...?

Help!
    I've been hunting for a new scent for my niece. She is a rose fanatic since she was a small child. Everything about roses she loves. She's now 21, and is currently wearing Stella. Since she mentioned that she thought Stella would smell a bit more of roses when she bought it, I've been looking for something else for her to try. Not being a rose person myself, I haven't been able to decide. She's very modern, so I know she would not like to leave an "old lady" rose trail. Does anyone have suggestions?
    Last edited by semisweet411; 2nd February 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Default Re: Coming Up Roses...?

Rose is a note that I've been a little leery of, too. For me, Parfums de Nicolai Balkis is an easy rose to like. The notes are listed as raspberry, Turkish rose, black pepper, coffee extract, iris, benzoin and vanilla, and I get mainly the raspberry & rose.

I'll be following this topic to see some suggestions from the experts!
    Sniff and let sniff.

There are tons of rose scents out there. Depends how much you want to spend, at the lower end I'd suggest Yves Rocher Rose Absolue (a personal favorite of mine), you can usually find a sale on it for $25 or less. The Rosine line has plenty to explore if you want to spend more - all sorts of roses and combinations - fruity, citrusy, spicy, etc. l'Artisan Drole de Rose is fresh and dewy, Voleurs de Roses is like leather, dried roses and earthy patchouli.

I'm a little funky about rose notes too! One that is def. not 'old lady'ish is Lancome's Mille Et Un Roses. Very fresh.

Ooops, forgot about Valentino's Rock-n-Rose. Inexpensive, easy to find, modern.
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 2nd February 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Stella smells more like rose oil than roses. BVLGARI Rose Essentielle is a Rose and Tea scent which I really like. Quite modern, transparent and light.

These suggestions sound great! I was reading a review of Mille Et Une Roses & noted the comparison to Stella, as being similar but more complex. That might be close to what she's looking for. I have also been looking at several Ava Lux scents: Bohemian Rose, Rosa de la Lux, Roses, Queen Bess and Sunday Girl. As I am currently hooked on several Ava Lux frags myself, I thought I check there.

Looks like I'm going to have to get a selection from The Perfumed Court. So many scents I could just wallow in...if it were not for time, money and skin restraints

Gres Caberet is really nice, and I likeYSL Babydoll too.

I think that Jo Malone Red Roses might be exactly what she wants, especially if she wants something that smells like real roses. It is basically ROSES, very green and fresh, with a slightly honeyed drydown. Very modern, nothing too complex or stuffy.

My favorite rose for wearing is CB I Hate Perfume Tea/Rose. Absolutely no powder or "perfumeyness". (I say "for wearing" because my favorite rose for bath potions is ElizabethW Rose. But for some reason I never wear that as perfume.)

Crayfish

Blog Entries

She might wish to try Rosine's Écume de Rose or Zephir de Rose. Here is Rosine's page that describes their various rose perfumes:

http://www.les-parfums-de-rosine.com...ult&rub=parfum

A set of samples are available for 18 Euros, shipping included.

Quote Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
    I think that Jo Malone Red Roses might be exactly what she wants, especially if she wants something that smells like real roses. It is basically ROSES, very green and fresh, with a slightly honeyed drydown. Very modern, nothing too complex or stuffy.
    Yes, this sounds just about what I was looking for. I think samples of this, Ecume de Rose, Mille Et Une Roses and perhaps Rose Essentielle, though I worry about longevity with this one.

Blog Entries

Narciso Rodriguez for Her edp (make sure it's edp) is a lovely, contemporary, musky rose, imo. Rose is a major player; however, it's not a true rose scent. Still worth a whiff, I think. YSL Paris is a classic that always smells true and lush to me, but not old fashioned. Jo Malone Red Roses is another great one; I think it's lighter, more effervescent, and less woody than Paris. I find it Creed's Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare is a little too soft and powdery for my taste. AL Bohemian Rose has a nice, spicy opening that I liked a lot. The drydown is softer and sweetens a little. Definitely a good one. Have fun! This is a category I'd like to explore more (along with leathers, boozy scents, etc., etc.).
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    AL Bohemian Rose has a nice, spicy opening that I liked a lot. The drydown is softer and sweetens a little. Definitely a good one. Have fun! This is a category I'd like to explore more (along with leathers, boozy scents, etc., etc.).
    Thanks so much for the input! And I'm so glad to meet at least one person who can comment on an AL rose. Sounds promising.

I think VELVET ROSE from Sonoma Scent Studio is an amazing, true rose fragrance. Here's the description from the SSS website:

A deep and velvety true rose soliflore that evokes a fresh-picked garden rose. Damask rose accented by soft supporting notes of fresh bergamot and violet leaf, subtle carnation, woodsy musk, and a whisper of patchouli.

If you want to give this a try, I can send you a sample. Just PM me with your address!

Rochas Tocade for an affordable designer frag--well made rose. Another modern designer frag with rose as a central note is Coco Mademoiselle.

Parfum d'Empire Eau Suave for a niche that is a modern take on rose.

Ecume de Rose is a great idea too--however I found it to have very poor longevity. The Guide compares it to Missoni Aqua, FWIW.

One of my favorites is the organic perfume oil Guaiac from Red Flower--smells like rose absolute.
    Last edited by Asha; 3rd February 2009 at 04:27 AM.

So In Love...Victoria's Secret
    Leiber....Judith Leiber

I am planning on getting Leiber for my next purchase. It is a very beautiful rose perfume. It's funny because I'm not very fond of flowers, but I love rose perfumes. The So In Love is only available online. SIL is my fav rose perfume, especially in the winter season. I have and love Stella.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Paestum Rose - Eau d'Italie (very long lasintg and incredible sillage)
    Une Rose - Malle (didn't try this one)

Perfume Workshop's Tea Rose. Cheap synthetic but the first time I smelled it, it could've fooled me that there's a real fragrant Tea Rose somewhere in the room! Even more realistic than Jo Malone's Red Roses.

Sur la Plage

I also recommend Lancome Mille et un Roses.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm seconding Les Parfums de Rosine. Sample the whole range if you can afford to do it. If not, make sure you include Un Zeste de Rose, Une Folie de Rose, and Poussiere de Rose.
    Also seconding L'Artisan Parfumeur Drole de Rose, Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgarie, and Gres Cabaret.
    Adding: Rochas Tocade, Yves Rocher Rose Absolu, Montale Aoud Damascus, and Serge Lutens Sa Majaste la Rose.
    I would even throw in Chanel No.19, dispite the fact that it starts off green because the Rose de Mai is exquisite.
    Note: All of these perfumes are radically different in character--some sweet, some spicy, some woody, some heady.

Off-Scenter

Further endorsement of Drole de Rose (especially for a young woman,) and Sa Majeste la Rose, which is the most photorealistic rose I've encountered and a favorite of my wife's.

I love rose notes!

If you're looking for a rosy rose, my best suggestions are Sa Majeste, Rose Essentielle and some of the YSL Paris line. AL Bohemian Rose is cheery and lovely while Queen Bess is warm and spiced. Dearly departed is Paula Dorf's Zita which was grassy green and rosy.

Oh! How could I forget Penhaligon's Elizabethan Rose! Now that is a really rosy scent!
    Last edited by Zibeline; 3rd February 2009 at 05:34 PM.

Drôle de Rose
    Poussière de Rose
    Paris
    Ce soir ou jamais
    Sa majesté la Rose
    Mille et une Roses
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Blog Entries

Woops! I left out Sa Majesté la Rose. It's gorgeous and very long lasting. Very deep and lush, more so than Paris. Sort of what Jo Malone is to Paris, Paris is to Sa Majesté, if that helps.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by semisweet411 View Post
    I was reading a review of Mille Et Une Roses & noted the comparison to Stella, as being similar but more complex. That might be close to what she's looking for.
    I have both, and they are quite similar in that there is so much rose in them that they come of smelling of tobacco. I've noticed that with rose scents. I wouldn't say Mille & Une Roses is more complex - it's just that its concentration of rose (and, hence, the strong tobacco scent) "lifts" more easily, and it becomes a lighter rose scent, whereas Stella is more potent to the end. That's my take on it.

A young rose/peony scent is Vera Wang's "Truly Pink" - although my mom, a rose fanatic, didn't quite take to it. I'm blaming it on "Truly Pink" being a lighter, younger fragrance.

Not at all a fan of Rocher's Rose Absolu - I literally can't smell any rose in there at all, all fruit (berries, to be more specific). Could be just personal chemistry, but was the same for my mom.
    Last edited by FroFro; 3rd February 2009 at 11:18 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I'm a little funky about rose notes too! One that is def. not 'old lady'ish is Lancome's Mille Et Un Roses. Very fresh.

Ooops, forgot about Valentino's Rock-n-Rose. Inexpensive, easy to find, modern.
    RocknRose good idea, the only problem I have with that scent is that it smells more like a soap then a perfume
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]