Code of Conduct

Default Parfumerie Generale, interesting niche ?

Hi !

I ve noticed recently that Parfumerie Generale is one of the very few niche that i ve never tried at all. Nothing !

I m going to order my usual samples lot this week on Aus Liebe Zum Duft, usually about 30.

And I am interested in buying, among a few other samples, the whole offer of PG they ve got on ALZD.

They have only 3 in the "private collection" , but all the ones with numbers except for the no. 14 - don t remember it s full name right now.

My question is, is it worth it ? What do you think about this house in general ? Are more than a few fragrances worth trying them ?

When i choose to discover a new house, i like to know it extensively, meaning trying as many as I can of the particular house. So I would order the whole line anyway if I decide to test PG.

That s why I definitely need your advices before doing so, if it does not look like it s worth it i ll pick other samples from various other houses.

Thank you in advance !

Alex
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Default Re: Parfumerie Generale, interesting niche ?

defintiely a must try. just one thing...opt for sprayers and not the vials...PG's need a spray to understand what it has to offer. Good luck!

I think you should give this house a go as many Basenoters rate their creations. Unfortunately, for me, I found the dozen or so I've tried to be very disappointing. Not only do they have below par longevity on my skin (even the ones in EDP concentration) but the compositions themselves simply leave me cold or indifferent.

Anyway, many will disagree but that's my two cents...

Interesting, because longevity is a key factor for me.

Thanks for these first opinions, very interesting.-
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    ...opt for sprayers and not the vials
    All of Aus Liebe Zum Duft samples are sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Unfortunately, for me, I found the dozen or so I've tried to be very disappointing. Not only do they have below par longevity on my skin (even the ones in EDP concentration) but the compositions themselves simply leave me cold or indifferent.
    Im absolutely with you on this one Trebor. I've tried 14 or 15, and am left with an overwhelming sense of "meh".
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 3rd March 2009 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    they have below par longevity on my skin (even the ones in EDP concentration)
    I found this too , smell amazing but only lasted a few hours on my skin with hardly any sillage at all

Parfumerie Generale, much like any other house, has a few stand out fragrances, a few good, but not great frags and a couple of total misses. Overall though I'd say that PG is a house that is worth investigating.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Just one more thing, don't go expecting this house to be along the lines of Serge Lutens (something which I've heard from time to time) because it's not - far from it...

L'Ombre Fauve
    Cadjmere
    Bois de Coipaba
    Corp et Ames

those four are definite "must try" from this house

Edit: pls add Querelle to the list.
    Last edited by jenson; 3rd March 2009 at 09:11 PM.

First off - here's some good reading: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...e+appreciation As you'll see, there is something of a PG 'fan club' here on BN, and I'd always be glad to make recommendation based on what you like if you want to PM me.

Trebor is right, PG is not Serge Lutens, the style is much different - however the quality and construction are absolutely on par with one another. I have samples and decants of the entire line - I'm quite a fan. I don't love all of them, but they are all of tremendous quality, and there is something for everyone, from floral to gourmand to vetiver to leather, etc.

To describe the style, the hallmark of PG is that the fragrances take seemingly disparate notes and harmonize them in unique ways that come out as being very amazing. The other 'theme' of PG is that many fragrance have a gourmand edge - even woody fragrances, florals, and leather fragrances tend to have some gourmand notes in them. If you like gourmands, PG is a must-try. Many of the fragrances are warm and 'cozy' - almost comfort scents.

With respect to longevity - I believe some of the people who posted above may have skin types very different from most people. As you'll see on the thread I linked above, most people have experience far above average longevity. On average the longevity of PG is the best of any house I've tried, the only better is Profumum. Many PGs last 12+ hours, and except for 2 (Cologne Grand Siecle and Coze), every other one lasts at least 8-10 hours. Un Crime Exotique (gourmand) and Cuir d'Iris each last 24 easily with 2 sprays.

Very few PGs are transparent (which is a similarity with Serge Lutens), but rather are quite rich.

Here's some suggestiosn on where to start with PG samples:

Aomassai - 'roasted' gourmand
    L'Ombre Fauve - woody/incense

Querelle - heavy vetiver/green

Great post

Problem is, ALZD have only 3 of the private collection, bois de copaiba, cedre sandaraque and corps et ames.

The good think is that i love gourmands. I think i ll give it a try, but it will have to start (except the 3 aforementionned) with the ones having a number in their name... too bad ALZD do not own the others like l ombre fauve in the private collection...

ooops - I was cut off (I can't edit posts b/c of a problem with this computer, long story)

Also try:

Cadjmere - Wood/gourmand
    Cuir d'Iris - Leather

If you like rose, Brulure de Rose is one of the best, and Ilang Ilohibe is a very good white floral

Examples of some of the more 'unique' fragrances:

Cuir Venenum - leather and orange blossom
    Bois Blonde - hay/cereals/wood
    Cedre Sandarque - vetiver and prailane

Overall I'd say lots of BNer like PG a lot - it definitely stays under the radar as a house, but all of the fragrances are top-notch in quality. I'm sorry to disagree with people, but I would question the opinions of people who've dismissed the entire line, unfairly in my opinion.
    Last edited by Lian; 3rd March 2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: cleaning up thread

If you like gourmands - also go with Musc Maori (cocoa), Coze (cocoa/spice), and Felanilla (vanilla/bananawood)

For the most part, I've felt indifferent about PG's line. All of them were more or less subtle changes of gourmand style fumes.

To be fair, I haven't tried them all. There's too many and that puts me off a bit.

************************************************** ************************************************

Back to the topic at hand - if you like iris, I suggest Iris Taizo - it's lightly sweetened and a rarely mentioned, high quality iris.
    Last edited by Lian; 3rd March 2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: cleaning up thread

Now let's all hold hands and try that again without ruffling eachother's feathers.

I'd really like to see one thread today where people can discuss fragrance without trying to insult one another intentionally or otherwise. I'm sure you can all achieve this and I would be much obliged as will be any new forum member who might be too insecure to post in case their posts get dissected like this where everyone forgets to give people the benefit of the doubt and not read too much into things.

Thank you
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Gentlemen,
    Opinions are exchanged here and readers are free to judge for themselves who's opinions carry greater weight for them. Posters here, however, are not invited to rank the value of opinions reported on the thread or assume the motivations of rival opinion contributors.
    Thank you all,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Now let's all hold hands and try that again without ruffling eachother's feathers.

I'd really like to see one thread today where people can discuss fragrance without trying to insult one another intentionally or otherwise. I'm sure you can all achieve this and I would be much obliged as will be any new forum member who might be too insecure to post in case their posts get dissected like this where everyone forgets to give people the benefit of the doubt and not read too much into things.

Thank you
    Most of us are big boys now and a bit of argy-bargy doesn't really ruffle our feathers

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Opinions are exchanged here and readers are free to judge for themselves who's opinions carry greater weight for them. Posters here, however, are not invited to rank the value of opinions reported on the thread or assume the motivations of rival opinion contributors.
    Thank you all,
    --Chris
    The moderators on basenotes do a great job but the exchange that's just been deleted wasn't that toxic! Are we risking too much censure here?

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    The moderators on basenotes do a great job but the exchange that's just been deleted wasn't that toxic! Are we risking too much censure here?
    Jathanas, thanks for the kind words, all the moderators do hear them, but with regards to censure and any other matters about moderating, can you please address them to us by personal message?

That way threads don't get derailed into off topic subjects.

We read and take seriously thoughts sent by PM.

Thank you all,
    --Chris

To the moderators. where, exactly, was the controversy here?

A few folks said they didn't enjoy this line's longetivity, and a few others said that they did.

Isn't this a perfectly appropriate topic to comment on?

I fear that BN is becoming a nanny-state.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Jathanas, thanks for the kind words, all the moderators do hear them, but with regards to censure and any other matters about moderating, can you please address them to us by personal message?

That way threads don't get derailed into off topic subjects.

We read and take seriously thoughts sent by PM.

Thank you all,
    --Chris
    Thanks for the heads-up Chris, I will PM next time...

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up Chris, I will PM next time...
    Thanks Jathanas. No problem at all--now or in the future.
    --Chris

Off-Scenter

Getting back to the original question...

Yes, I think Parfumerie Generale is well worth exploring. The lineup is loaded with heavy gourmand scents (Coze, Cadjmere, Aomassaď), and the house does them very well. But when parfumeur Guillaume gets away from his gourmand groove, he comes up with some terrific and highly original stuff: Intrigant Patchouli, Iris Taďzo, Jardin de Kerylos. (Oddly, I find the same thing with Chirstopher Sheldrake at Serge Lutens. When he steps away from his accustomed spicy orientals, he delivers marvels like Sa Majasté la Rose and Tubéreuse Criminelle.)

I didn't find anything interesting in the line. My least favorite niche house.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    (Oddly, I find the same thing with Chirstopher Sheldrake at Serge Lutens. When he steps away from his accustomed spicy orientals, he delivers marvels like Sa Majasté la Rose and Tubéreuse Criminelle.)
    ... and Coromandel! Well done Sheldrake!

To the post, I've only tried a few PGs. However, I love Cozé. There are a couple others I've sampled and enjoyed, but am yet to really experience. That said, I'll still stand behind Cozé as an incredible, unique scent. Love it.

I'd say that PG is a line that is decant worthy, probably not full bottle, but definitely a healthy size decant. I've learned that PG has extremely extensive and broad collection of different oriented fragrances in its line, which gives one temptation to at least try them out. What comes to longevity, it's always highly subjective/extremely personal matter as fragrances tend to behave differently on one and other skin. So it's rather dangerous to follow one's subjective comments (therefore should always try yourself and not blindly obey others opinions). And I'm pretty sure that if Robert was having problem with fragrance longevity on his skin, it doesn't mean that you'd experience the same problem. Actually as I'm writing this I'm wearing Cadjmere from PG, and can say that it's far from poor longevity fragrance on my skin (and this is edt) and the quality is quite admirable (just as bbBD commented). Otherwise bbBD told everything crucial about this label.
    If you're interested to try, test away and make your opinion about it.

I'm a big fan.

Earlier last week, I asked my friend if he liked PG and let him try sampling some -- what he said was "It's nice, but I can't wear this." I asked "Why not?" ...and he said: "Because they smell like they were made just for you, and not for me! I can't pull it off.." Boy, I loved that comment.

Back to the topic -- from the ones I own, my current favorites are Aomassai (a woody gourmand with caramel and nuts) , L'oiseau de Nuit (leathery labdanum, amber, and davana) , Cuir d'Iris (great leather and iris), and Felanilla. (vanilla, saffron, iris, with bananawood dry down) However, I'd also recommend trying L'ombre Fauve as it's one of their most distinctive scents. (animalic sandalwood, amber, with a touch of incense) As a side note, I find that Aomassai lasts longer than some of their EDPs in the Private Collection.

Harmatan Noir and Un Crime Exotique are the ones I reach for the least. (They were also my first two PGs -- An aromatic airy tea and a gingerbread floral gourmand)

The ones I would "unrecommend" are the two Matale scents, Drama Nuui, and Psychotrope.

As for the longevity, they are just "decent" and acceptable for me. I'd give it a B- on a grading scale. It loses to Serge Lutens and Profumum in this department. (both the EDPs and EDTs)

For future bottles, I am eyeing Cuir Venenum (the one many love to hate), Bois Blond, and Intragant Patchouli.

Lastly, happy sampling!
    Last edited by moltening; 4th March 2009 at 09:27 AM.

Some good recomendations here. I love this line, and for me personally, even more than the previously mentioned SL line.
    The one I wear the most and own is Cadjmere. A very wearable and masculine wood scent.
    Last edited by eric; 4th March 2009 at 11:05 AM.

I ordered about 8 PG 1.5 ml spray samples from TPC. I'm really excited about it! I'm really looking forward to sniffingthem, I can't wait

I've enjoyed Parfumerie Generale fragrances. I've tested more than half the line and in every case I find the fragrance needs retesting and retesting agin in order to get a feel for what is going on in them. They are really different and sometimes subtle in their effects. I have owned six different bottles that I was seduced by one after another and over time I've sold off all of them. They are easy to fall in love with and then fall out of love with too.

I like the house, but I have difficulty settling in with any one fragrance that fits me. The creativity in these formulas is through the roof. They are not like any others and all seem to result in unique little vignettes - unusual works of art. I have yet to find one that I think is perfect. But, there are quite a few that are nice subtle studies that try out odd combinations of ingredients that seem to work very well.

My favorites in order of my appreciation of them have been:

L' Ombre Fauve
    Querelle
    L' Oisea de Nuit
    Bois Blond
    Cuir d' Iris
    Coze
    Intragant Patchouli

Others have their own favorites too, but these I recommend of the ones I've tried.

Many very interesting posts, thanks a lot.

Funny to see how the private collection gets way more love than the ones with numbers , except for coze .

Since I quite love gourmands I ll definitely give it a go !

I think I mentioned it above, but I'd like to highlight for everyone that Brulure de Rose is a very very good, and under-appreciated PG. With all the discussion of rose fragrances lately, this deserves a few tries. For those who know PG, I'd describe it almost as 'Cadjmere with a rose emphasis'. For non-PG fans, it's a candied/gourmand/woody rose.... and if you know Rochas Tocade, imagine a thick, gourmand version of it.

I am not a lover of gourmands, they all seem far too sweet and sticky to me, so I have held off on sampling this line thus far. The only I have tried, I actually really liked, and it is NEVER talked about on BN ( I don't know why), Yuzu Ab Irato. I think it may be a common dislike of mint on these boards, but I really find it to be quite unique, and very refreshing. I am right now, tetering (sp?) back and forth with the mint in it because like most sometimes mint can be associated with toothpaste, and I do get some similarities with YaI, but not nearly as bad as Roadster. Right now, it is firmly in decant stage, but with more wear it may warrant a FB. I really think people should try it out.

The basic problem with Parfumerie Generale, as I see it--and this might could equally apply to most of the myriad unremarkable niche and designer releases put out with shameless haste and regularity and with cynical shoddiness of construction and quality of materials all masked by spin, packaging, and obscene prices--is that there is no investment in base note materials of any quality, rarity, or even inventiveness that would give these fragrances substance. All the effort and very little money is invested in the top and heart notes. PG fragrances are better than most niche fragrances in the way top and heart notes are yoked together, sometimes in surprising combinations, but, ultimately when you get into the long duration of PG fragrances, which is the acid test of any fragrance, there's nothing really there. The drydown accords are all utterly unremarkable.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 4th March 2009 at 06:48 PM.

i agree with Scentemental on this one, especially on scents like Ingrant Patchouli (the basenotes is actually musky) and Iris Taizo....but, scents like L'Ombre Fuave, Querelle fixes these issues it seems...they are really fine scents, all the way to the base.

Do you think only premium offerings makes it to the Private collection?

Aus Liebe zum Duft is an excellent sample source. Their samples almost seem like small decants. Parfumerie Generale is at least as worthy of sampling as any fragrance house on the "niche" side of the line of demarcation.

Of the possibilities that ALZD has to offer, I'd give priority recommendation to:
    Coze This one got me a compliment at work. (I own a bottle of this one.)
    Cadjmere - Allow this one to settle on you skin before 'making up your mind'
    Aomassai - Very gourmand. I will be ordering a sample of this from ALZD for my fragrance 'library'
    Brulure de Rose (I own a decant - look forward to checking out its similarity to Cadjmere!)
    Felanilla
    Louanges

Of the PG line not available at ALZD, I would give highest priority to:
    Querelle (I own a bottle of this one too.)
    L'Ombre Fauve
    Cuir d'Iris
    Last edited by Delmar; 4th March 2009 at 08:02 PM.

try them for sure as there are some unique fragrances in the line, but i didn't like any of them.

to answer Jenson's question, I don't see any difference in quality between the Private Collection and normal line, I believe they are just 'limited edition' fragrances, some of which have been incorporated into the standard line. I'd die if I ran out of Cuir d'Iris, it's my A#1.

Perhaps the bases on some PGs are the same, I guess if you're like me and like the base that's found in a few of them, it isn't a problem. Vanillic/woody bases are in many PGs, which is fine with me. The excitement and uniqueness of the first few hours of most of the entries keeps me plenty interested.

Scentemental expressed my opinion of this line rather nicely. At first glance, most PG's wow you upon initial spray. I was almost tempted to pull the trigger on Coze when I was at Luckyscent trying this one day. Fortunately, I waited and I'm glad I did. Like most I've tried, PG's offerings are good, but not like ohh la la like some would have you think, ESPECIALLY when you get to the drydown.

I'm glad I tried MPG's Eau de Iles because it blows Coze away in all facets possible (including price). PG is definitely worth trying, if only for their unique combination of materials alone. I went in with high expectations and was only left disappointed, wishing for more.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)