Code of Conduct

Default a great Montale...

I've never tried Montale, but I'm really tempted because I often read there are sillage and longevity monsters.

Here is the problem:
    I already have Paestum Rose (Eau d'Italie) and I'm happy with it, so I don't want another Rose fragrance.

So which nice Montale LASTS LOOONG and has SILLAGE where rose is not the principal note?

Thank you!

Stephan, Belgium.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: a great Montale...

Aoud Lime. You have to like saffron, though.

Red Vetyver?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Aoud Lime. You have to like saffron, though.
    Thank you!
    Is it citrusy? Because I'm not in love with citrusy...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Thank you!
    Is it citrusy? Because I'm not in love with citrusy...
    Go to the Search function and type 'Lime Aoud' and read lots of comments on it.

I don't get any citrus at all from Aoud Lime. Makes one wonder....
    Greyand is also very interesting and Vetiver des Sables
    Last edited by cpk; 2nd February 2009 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Red Vetyver?
    Thanks!
    Can't see this one on their website?
    Discontinued?

i just got bois vanilla and its excellent!!

its not really a vanilla fragrance....its more like a bergamoty lemony slightly spicy patchouli smell yet the slight bit of vanilla just smooths it all out....i would say its a summer frag. the vanilla isnt heavy foody like in a winter scent. just a tad is used to make everything kinda rich and smooth....its really worth a try i really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    I don't get any citrus at all from Aoud Lime. Makes one wonder....
    Greyand is also very interesting and Vetiver des Sables
    Thank you.
    Greyland seems to have longevity issues in the reviews, and VdS has more negative reviews than positive.
    Difficult...

Montale Blue Amber...

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    i just got bois vanilla and its excellent!!

its not really a vanilla fragrance....its more like a bergamoty lemony slightly spicy patchouli smell yet the slight bit of vanilla just smooths it all out....i would say its a summer frag. the vanilla isnt heavy foody like in a winter scent. just a tad is used to make everything kinda rich and smooth....its really worth a try i really like it.
    Vanilla?
    Citrus?
    I won't sample this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Montale Blue Amber...
    Wow...
    I like the reviews on this one (even if there is vanilla, because of the other notes).
    I keep it and will probably sample it.
    Others?

Thanks!
    Can't see this one on their website?
    Discontinued?
    Please give Red Vetyver a search, you should see some comments on it.
    It is relatively new. Perhaps that is why it is not on their website.
    Last edited by Omega Man; 2nd February 2009 at 08:43 PM.

Vanilla?
    Citrus?
    I won't sample this one.

i am telling ya you can hardly smell vanilla at all. if any....it only adds depth. it like makes a mediocre citrus smell and turns into luxury. it really is quite impressive....its definatly worth a sample try. i was trying for a more vanilla fragrance...yet i am still happy with this. i would say this is for more dress up.

i would have bought blue amber blind if they had it....i ordered at theperfumshoppe.com great prices and great service. i been dying to try blue amber....i cant seem to find a place to get a sample other then perfumecourt....and they are way expensive. if i can find a bottle cheaper then 150 anywhere i will buy it blind...it really sounds amazing.
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 2nd February 2009 at 08:47 PM.

Stephan, i do have 15 sampels of montales.
    i live in Holand and ur from belgium.
    maybe we can arrange somthing...... for some og paestum rose

Thank you all.

My final candidates are
    Blue Amber
    Aoud Lime

Which one to choose when you know that some niche scents make me sick, like:
    Daim Blond, Douce Amčre, Bois Farine (really, I already want to throw up by writing this 3 scents).
    But I love Serge Noire, Hinoki.

Oudh lime and Blue Amber are my favortites from this line. others include Fougere Marine, Royal Oudh, Sandal Sliver, White Musk et al..

the trick with Oudh lime is it's application...just spray one to chest and one to wrist(dab it gently to other)..anything more would be hard to "get" initially....my favorite part? the mid to basenotes of Oudh lime...simply divine.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Oudh lime and Blue Amber are my favortites from this line. others include Fougere Marine, Royal Oudh, Sandal Sliver, White Musk et al..

the trick with Oudh lime is it's application...just spray one to chest and one to wrist(dab it gently to other)..anything more would be hard to "get" initially....my favorite part? the mid to basenotes of Oudh lime...simply divine.
    So regarding my previous post, which one will I prefer?
    Did you try Ginger Musk or Fruits of the Musk?

freind, you "must" sample any scent from the Oudh linebefore you buy a 50 or 100 ml. their non oudh line is still not as agressive, strong? yes. . sample sample sample

I love agressive frags (Kouros, Le Māle, ...).
    As for the Ginger Musk, I think of it for my sister: Mūre et Musc -L'Artisan Parfumeur seems to have a bad lasting power, that's why this question.
    Thank you very much for your help!

my friends think that Auod Lime smells like bug spray. although it is an ok scent to me.

Golden Aoud, Patchouili Leaves - In all honesty, Montale makes so many great fragrances, you should try to sample as many as you can. You can get reasonable deals on samples.

Off-Scenter

I love agressive frags (Kouros, Le Māle, ...).
    As for the Ginger Musk, I think of it for my sister: Mūre et Musc -L'Artisan Parfumeur seems to have a bad lasting power, that's why this question.
    Thank you very much for your help!
    Like aggressive, huh? Give Aoud Cuir d'Arabie a try. The most sultry, lascivious leather that I've come across. It's terrific!

Montale Patchouli Leaves and Montale Blue Amber.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    my friends think that Auod Lime smells like bug spray. although it is an ok scent to me.
    I didn't find it like Bug Spray, but it was kinda meh..

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Before I went to sleep (before cmax's answer), I ordered some samples:
    Montale - Aoud Lime
    Profumum - Victrix
    Montale - Ginger Musk
    Montale - Blue Amber

Thank you for the suggestions you made after I went to bed.

I didn't sample Patchouli leaves, because Patchouli as principal note doesn't please me (I think of CdG Luxe Patchouli).
    Same for leather (Cuir d'Arabie) and rose (Golden Aoud).

I also ordered Victrix (I think you like it, javagreen).

So I have to wait now!

My previous sampling was the Gendarme collection, I was disappointed.
    Not by the excellent service (aus Liebe zum Duft), but by Gendarme.
    Those fragrances are to linear, and I smell too much cheap lavender.
    Sickening.

Be careful with blue amber, it's so strong that if you overdo it, even with a sample, it will get cloying.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Patchouli leaves doesn't smell anything like Luxe Patchouli, which is the most non-patchouli smelling 'patchouli fragrance' I've yet to experience.

So from what I can tell, Stephan doesn't want patchouli, vanilla, citrus, rose, or leather. That's going to make it tough to give any recommendations. In fact, with those parameters, why stick with Montale? Probably best to try another house.

Regardless, I've sampled about 75% of the Montale line, and the Aouds are hit or miss. I happen to also think Aoud Lime smells like bug spray - or worse. For non-rose ouds, some of my favorites are Aoud Shiny, White Aoud and Silver Aoud. Cuir d'Arabie is still my fave. I still think the best Aouds are the rose ones, and they are different enough from Paestum Rose that there isn't any duplication. I wouldn't rule out the best from a line because of owning a fragrance from another house with a matching note... I'm not quite sure that's the best approach because you'd be artificially restricting yourself from experiencing a wide range of fragrances.

For non-aouds, Bois Vanille (which does not have prominent citrus, it's primarily a wood fragrances with vanilla-pod sweetening) is amazing, as is the never-discussed Chypre Vanille. For oriental styles I recommend Sweet Oriental Dream. I like vanilla and amber, but Blue Amber is so sweet it makes me queezy. Bois Vanille is a better option, imo.

Not all fragrances are listed on Montale's website, hence why someone wouldn't find Red Vetyver. Another good not-discussed Montale is Vetiver des Sables. Finally, Musk to Musk and Vanille Absolu/Extasy aint' bad, either.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    ...So from what I can tell, Stephan doesn't want patchouli, vanilla, citrus, rose, or leather. That's going to make it tough to give any recommendations. In fact, with those parameters, why stick with Montale? Probably best to try another house...
    I've got to concur with bbBD here. Of course aversions to patchouli, vanilla, citrus, rose, and leather probably disqualify at least 75% of fragrances on the market anyway!

Wow...
    I like the reviews on this one (even if there is vanilla, because of the other notes).
    I keep it and will probably sample it.
    Others?

from what i understand, he is still open to those...only thing, he takes BN reviews very seriously (like all of us )

tonight will be the first time in my life that I will be wearing a rose fragrance for a date. I have a sample Black Aoud and I will wear it. In fact I already have it on me... I am having second thoughts,,, smells very .. powdery and feminine... what da hell, we only live once.
    (thanks Mo )
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

bbBD, thank you for your very detailed answer that I find helpful!
    I'm going to read the reviews of the fragrances you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I've got to concur with bbBD here. Of course aversions to patchouli, vanilla, citrus, rose, and leather probably disqualify at least 75% of fragrances on the market anyway!
    No any aversion, I can go with all those notes if they are not the principal one.
    I agree that CdG Patchouli smells more like anise than patchouli.