Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Tuesday 3 February-09

Good morning everybody Now i'm off to school in the gorgeous Chergui.Hope you all have a great day with no real difficulties or health related problems

Default Re: SotD Tuesday 3 February-09

Profumum Thundra

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Guerlain Mitsouko EDT from sample.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I didn't mean to, but today, I will be wearing Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche. Woo-EE! I'm pungent today!

Y'know honestly, I never thought to wear this. It was only by a happy accident that I managed to get it pretty much ALL OVER ME.
    Fruity. Manly. It's nice. I wonder why I never thought to wear it.
    Definitely smelled this all thru high school. Perhaps I'll get sick of it as the day wears on.

I think. . . in a way. . . Drakkar Noir is to my generation as Acqua di Gio is to current high school students. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Accidentally layered with Halston Z-14. This is going to be a long day. I hope I don't kill anyone with my sillage.
    Last edited by Aiona; 3rd February 2009 at 07:37 AM.

Bond No.9 Hamptons
    I quuite like it but too bad it isn't last very long on my skin.

Have a nice day, you all.

Sarrasins from a decant. It feels like a warmer, tamed down and less sharp A La Nuit which probably makes it more wearable for many. I think it´s very closely related to A La Nuit but this one is maybe a bit greener. I like my jasmine in overkill I guess. It´s not bad, but if you have a la nuit I´d think long and hard about buying this one as well since it´s hard to get, more expensive and you already have a scent very close to this one.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Tuesday 3 February-09

MONTALES' BLACK AOUD, from a sample
    Thanks very much Eric
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Sur la Plage

Yves Saint-Laurent Opium pour Homme

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I am about to have a long bath with a lovely Vanilla bath bomb from Lush (thank you Nukapia!) which I've been saving. Then I will drench myself in Spiriteuse Double Vanille and waft around all day like a big boozy icecream.

Happy day to all.
    xxx
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Good morning!!

Ines, you smell gorgeous and Aiona......I will search for that Drakkar Noir when it is really that pungent
    Wordie! That is my favourite vanilla......delicious!

Today I am testing (again) the latest fragrance from LesNez "Manoumalia", created by Sandrine Videault.

First testing, two days ago, brought me an overwhelming cloud of hyacinths. As far as I know there are no hyacinths in this fragrance.
    Today: it smells like Child (Susan D. Owens). This makes more sense since people raised in Hawai have mentioned the pikake in Child.

More testing to do, it seems. I still can't trust my nose and skin.
    Last edited by Riannon; 3rd February 2009 at 10:26 AM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Thanks for the warm welcome, gang! In sync with Miss R., I am testing LesNez Manoumalia today too, a clever floral. Or so it appears.

To bed I wore CDG Red: Harissa.
    Last edited by Twolf; 3rd February 2009 at 10:34 AM.

muschio bianco - acca kappa

Basenotes Plus

Hi, Twolf! Good to see you!

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Precieux. Of the many amber frags I own and love, this one's hard to beat.

Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Yay! Welcome back Twolf!

Wordbird, you are making me hungry! Actually, maybe me searching online for a supplier of Grabower Kuesse (some German chocolate/marshmallow thing we had in Holland) may indicate that I was hungry before. But the "big boozy icecream" thought is not helping!

Wore Chergui, followed by Bulgari Black. Now off to drench myself in Lawrence Dumont Vanille Bourbon, and hope that my sugar cravings may settle

Madame X parfum. it's so warm and snoogly.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Twolf welcome back to the board.
    ScentMother, bunnies? there is more to that story I am sure.
    Chaya it is good to see you posting so much. It must mean you're starting to feel better.

Sounds like we're going to get 6 more inches of snow before the day is out.
    For the occasion I wanted to try a brand-new acquisition, thanks buzzlepuff:

Juozas Statkevicius

Juozas Stakevicius is a Lithuanian Fashion Designer and while not particularly well known out side of Lithuania he asked Fabrice Pellegrin to design a signature scent for him in 2004. Until recently it was a difficult to find scent, which increased its notoriety. As a confirmed incense lover this one had been high on my list because of the good things I had read about it. In this case all of those writings were right on the money. Right from the top the incense announces itself and at this point Juozas Stakevicius doesn't stand out from many of the others on my incense shelf. It is the next shift, which happens fairly rapidly, that makes this a stand-out. As the incense pulls back just a little, first jasmine comes out to play and combines with this and makes for an amazing floral composition. Then the floral fades and vanilla comes in. This is where the sharpness of the incense keeps the sweetness of the vanilla in check to make a sweet and spicy combination of excellence. Finally the warmth of amber in combination with the incense ends this one in a combination of two of my favorite notes. This is just a beautifully done scent and one I will wear over and over again.

Have a Trippy Tuesday everyone.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 3rd February 2009 at 11:20 AM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Hello to Twolf!

Your SotD sounds wonderful, SMM!

Just a melty dusting of snow here for us. I'm scent twins with Merlino today, wearing just a whisper of Mitsouko edt. Mitsouko is so odd. I think it is best worn with severe restraint, so that you forget you're wearing it...until you get a strangely beautiful whiff of something haunting. I am haunted by 19th century images when I wear it. Just an odd, odd scent. I can't get rid of this little bottle even though I rarely wear it, and I don't really like it. I love it, but I don't like it.

Good morning everyone. I'm vacillating between good cheer and melancholy this morning. I made contact with my old friend's wife on Facebook. She's lovely and doing good and important things. It was wonderful to get in touch with her. Still no word from my friend though. We both went through a hard time with health issues and depression that was connected with those issues. I am feeling very good these days. I worry he can't say the same. Still no word from him.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get a life from my SOTD - AL Feuilles de Patchouli.

Blog Entries

I'm taking DH to the airport in Lady Caron. For the next week, I sleep with the kitties, yay!

Twolf-- Great to see you again!

SMM-- Ooh, I jealous! That's one incense frag I'm dying to try!

Have a great Tuesday, everyone.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

EW left to return to the north this AM after a tense month in-house. Whew.

SotD is Azzaro pour Homme
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd February 2009 at 12:16 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

:happily scratching Wolfie behind ears.....:
    (Good to have The Dragon back, too!)

(That's Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie, SMM...Creed does get a lot of things right in my never-humble-opinion)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 3rd February 2009 at 12:17 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Love's true bluish light

Hello, Twolf dear! Hurrah to see you back on the board! Hope you were having a wonderful time outside of Basenotes...

Wordie, enjoy your Lush bath! Those bath bombs are tremendous fun! Hope you are feeling wonderful and relaxed.

Yes, dear Scentson, I'll give more lowdown on the bunnies later.You smell GOOOOOOOOD.

Continuing my tea scents compare/contrast, today it's Parfumerie Generale Hyperessence Matale for me. I was hoping for/expecting a sort of "L'eau Rare Matale Extreme," which Hyperessence Matale is not. However, this is gorgeous. Rich black tea, marine or some kind of salty elements, florals and a hint of almost incense-like smoke. Wow. Not much in the sillage department, and only time will tell if it's got more staying power than L'eau Rare Matale, but I am in very deep like with this one. Oh dear.

Hyperessence Matale notes: Black tea, citrus, cedar leaves, musk, pepper, jasmine.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 3rd February 2009 at 12:27 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

kbe, I was thinking you haven't been yourself lately...hope you'll feel more relaxed now .

tdem & SMM - you both smell especially wonderful!

Today, I'm basking in some vintage Tabu. Heavenly!

joining Merlino and Lilybelle in Mitsouko but wearing the exttrait

Happy Tuesday

Armani - She. Last time I wore that to work my boss passed my office (we have an implicit open door policy), stopped and said: "Mmmm, something smells good." Then she took a few steps back, peaked into my office and asked me: "Is that you?" Seemingly that stuff has quite the projection if one could even smell me outside of my office... So I'm wearing it in moderation today - 1 1/2 sprays.

SL Fleurs d'Oranger
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution

Sandalwood Cologne by Caswell-Massey (2nd time from a sample - thanks sloan_8013)

Incredible stuff. I expected something akin to toilet water. Instead I'm greeted with a wonderfully grounded sandalwood note, folded into a very well done vetiver base. It has a wonderful peat moss, aged wood vibe much like Fumidus by Profumum does, with no booze. I'm impressed!!

Wearing the long expected Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge - yum yum. It passed the kitty test; one even tried to take a bite out of my wrist.

Forgotten I ordered a tester minus cap, though. Annoys me, actually. Anyone have a cap (100 ml, not sure if sizes are different) to spare? I'll gladly reimburse shipping and send some samples along with eternal gratitude your way.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Hello everyone
    Today I'm with Potiron
    in delightful Emporio Armani She
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Mike- I'm very much agreed- the CM cologne is lovely !
    I used to always keep a bar of that scent in 'soap-on-a-rope', because it was so sumptuous.

Doesn't everyone smell gooood !

How are my bunnies, CD ???
    I JUST told B about them...we had a great laugh.
    [He said "that's something YOU would do " to me, LOL.]

After decanting like a madwoman for a friend with major blues, I rediscoverec a bottle- minimum 10 years old- of Acqua di Parma Il Profumo....
    So I'm in that today.

While the re-issue is a knockout, it's not the same; BOTH are worth FB, which is NOT comforting to ANY of us...
    [Last fall, I sniffed the newer, but couldn't justify the cost when I had an FB of the original at home]

One of the most complex, suave, and seamless chypres there is; no rough edges whatsoever- reminds me of vintage Sortilege.
    Less arid than 1000 de Patou [ I love 1000], less herbal / bitter/ dry than Niki de St. Phalle [ yes, I love that one as well !], more oomph than the Aedes Molinard [ which I enjoy].

It is not more 'green'- as M or Molinard de Molinard, or Y, or any other green chypre;
    It is floral, but not ebulliently so, nor fruity as in Patou Delices or Yvresse [ I love them all].

Balance is the name- but not BORING.
    It actually reminds me of my love, Jubilation 25, believe it or not.

If it were a scupture, it would be Rodin.
    Or an Attic marble.
    If it were a photograph, it would be Stieglitz' b&w nudes of O'Keefe.

Does that help ?

Have a great day.

Wordie- you smell yummy !
    Twolf- lovely to see you !
    SMM- kiss me.

Wearing Shaal Nur today and it smells amazing.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

With a good 20 new samples to choose from, I think I erred in selecting CB IHP Russian Caravan Tea. There's not much to recommend about it except to say it isn't offensive. Oh, well, will try something else later in the day.

Good to be here amongst you birdies and bunnies and kitties, wolfies and dragons.

Now off to work on the next issue of Florida Plumbing Perspective.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

The kids are out of school today due to snow and ice so we are just chillaxin at home

Wearing Guerlain Insolence today.

You all smell fab!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    ....Now off to work on the next issue of Florida Plumbing Perspective.
    You've GOT to be kidding.

Does anyone in Florida have a perspective on plumbing??
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Good morning! I'm off to work in L'OISEAU DE NUIT. It's oh so pretty. Enjoy your day!

I'm sure you're making plumbing as interesting as it can be Quarry. I actually love looking at all the beautiful designs available and dreaming of redoing some of the bathrooms. I'm sure remodelling is huge in Florida and they should be up to date with regs and developments.

I am starting mt day in the remains of Icon, but will move on to Cialenga for work.

My work computer is RIP. Thank goodness for work issued laptops.

Bond No. 9 - Lexington Avenue SMM

Definitely a heavy woody gourmand. Weirdly comforting. Some cumin at the top. Some cocoa and woods from top to heart. Dries to a creamy vanillic sandalwoody musk.

Good for today's weather. Like it. Trying to decide whether I love it.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Scent sisters with Wordbird today.
    Enjoying boozy ice cream (wonderful analogy!) in

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Bond No. 9 New YorkNEW HAARLEM

Canoé (Canoe)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Ormonde Jayne Man. Now you smell it, now you don't.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Pulled a sample of Michael Kors Island out at random. It is really boring and synthetic on me. Hopefully it will wear off soon. Then I am going to switch to Serge Luten Datura Noir.

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834

Indonesian patchouli, white flowers, cardamom, camphor, cistus, galbanum, cannabis resin, cocoa accord

Chanel No. 19 EDP

After days with hot spicy stuff, I'm in the lovely Infusion d*Iris
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Does anyone in Florida have a perspective on plumbing??
    Why, yes, thank you for asking, T!

Definitive answer: Paul Halyard, engineer, 72 years old and on top of all things piped. Largest single job: engineering the mechanicals for the royal palace of the Sultan of Brunei which required 2,700 tons of air conditioning.

We can take plumbing, heating, cooling, and ventilation for granted, thanks to these educated professionals, the guardians of our health and comfort, masters of mathematics. They make toilets work at the top of the Sears Tower and invent systems that allow for the near-synchronized morning flush by hundreds of toilets in a prison. They plumb the medical gases piped to hospital bedsides and operating rooms. They configure restaurant grease traps and stove hoods to prevent grease fires, and plumb sprinkler systems to retard fires. Now they're learning new technologies to install solar and geothermal technologies in our homes and businesses. All hail, the plumbing-HVAC professional!
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd February 2009 at 04:38 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Good morning everyone! It's a beautiful, warm sunny winter day here. Feels like spring! Yay!

So nice to see you posting again TWOLF! I hope your family is doing well.

I'm joining INEES in the always delicious CHERGUI today.

Have a good day!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Lancome Sikkim today.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I'm doing a quick morning test of SL Santal Blanc from a sample. It starts off crisp and green and is beginning to settle to a buttery sandalwood, without that coconut vibe that Tam Dao gives off (I think that's Mysore sandalwood in Tam Dao?). I've always passed this over, but it's making me take notice. This may be one of Lutens' easily wearable scents. After purchasing a FB of Gris Clair last year, I'm finding I don't reach for it. I've actually found that with a number of the SL bottles I own, which is alarming. I think I'm in the minority here. It's perplexing because I go into lust mode when I test them, and once I buy the bottle I seem to leave it alone. This is the very reason why I should learn my lesson and purchase dec*ants!

SMM: Your wonderful description of the JS (can't spell it...) fragrance makes me want to test it. At ScentBar the SA described it as one of the few scents that "scratch an itch" that no other does. She recommended it to people who couldn't settle on a scent.

Lilybelle: I know what you mean about Mitsouko. I love it too, but am not sure I like it. At least for me at this point in time, it inspires awe, gratitude, and appreciation, but not that ego-syntonic comfort that makes many of my fragrances feel like a second skin. This could change.

Chaya: You sound more and more chipper each day; I'm so glad. I hope Frankenfoot is behaving.

debbborra: I do hope your day veers away from melancholy.

NYCBoy: That was your 400th post! Congrats.

I think this may be a multiple-scent day, so I may check in later to report!

Another day in Dzing! Be well and happy, folks!

Hello All,

I'm a busy bee here, and a sickly one, too. Had to trek to an interview 40 miles away today, through a foot of snow, with a fever, cough, sore throat and chest infection. I fear my performance was not at its best

Wore Eau du Soir as I wanted something solid and reliable. It has held on loyally throughout the day.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Sisley Soir De Lune... I just came home from work and it is already 2 am

Tolu

Welcome back Twolf, nice to see you.

soirde lune- Have yourself a nice cup of tea, and a couple of warm biscuits, and keep bundled up.

Chaya- You sound very sprightly today, hooray! Keep receiving the healing vibes being sent your way.

My sotd will be vintage Sortilège; Chaya, thanks for putting the thought in my mind.

Hope everyone has a sparkling day.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Hello all - Datura Noir for me today.

B&BW Black Amethyst edt. I hadn't smelled B&BW fragrances in years, but I happened upon a sale this morning, and couldn't resist sniffing. Black Amethyst is gorgeous! I bought the edt, and I'm enjoying it very much.

Coco Mademoiselle - very soft and slightly powdery today.

SotE: Chanel - Coromandel

SL Arabie again today.