Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Resurrecting the 3x3 Blind Sniff

Seems there is (still!) some interest in that in our community, Please PM me your ideas about the topics, houses and scents to be covered, notes to be included, general remarks. I do not want it to be a single-sided affair, so I thought I would ask for help. Please? We need volunteers to both send and sniff if you all would.

For the newbies: there are no rules, they are developing as we go. One person sends three identical 1-2 ml vials with three different scents marked A, B and C to three sniffers (9 altogether) trying to cover niche, designer and lower end categories (not necessarily, though!), all united by the same theme, like Chypres, Roses, Sharp Greens, etc. At the appointed day each of the sniffers posts their impressions of scent A, trying to identify the notes and describe the fragrance development; the readers, in their turn, make their best to guess the fragrance. The person who had sent the vials out, moderates the whole discussion making it easier and fun for everybody. It can go for hours or days, depending on the scents or on how verbose the sniffers are, it all depends. If the original sender is not available to post, she/he hands the responsibilities of moderating this particular round on to someone else. There are NO PRIZES involved. (In my never so humble opinion, Lady_in_Black was the best moderator ever so far! )

How about starting "live" mid-March? Like the third weekend of each month and doing it just once a month?
    Last edited by Twolf; 22nd November 2009 at 01:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Resurrecting the 3x3 Blind Sniff

Sounds like a blast, maybe we can invite the men to join us?

Might be nice to include links to places where we can order empty vials and such to make it easier to participate if you never looked to order vials before?
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheeee! Yea, Twolf. The 3x3 lives!
    Gosh, yes. Lets open it to the whole board.
    How about house x house?
    Or note x note?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how this will shake out, but I'd give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a lot of fun!

Sounds like fun. I'm game!

Fun! I'm in. So when was the last time this happened and how did it all play out?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

It seems ages ago, veuve, but I think we had LOTS of fun It was entertaining and as instructive as purplebird's note identification project. I am really glad to see it resurrected by the hands of our ingenious TWolf (hello, my dear, good to see you again and thanks for the compliment - actually, every host and every sniffer was great!). :toppie:

I'd be honoured to host another round as sample-giver - provided I have enough smellies in the chosen category

Edited: the previous "themes" were: Light 'n White / Mean 'n Green / Orienteering in the Orient / Comin' up Roses / The Unabashed Gourmand Experience / Leather Round / Belle Epoque
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 3rd February 2009 at 07:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Post Thanks / Like

Great responses so far, thanks bunches!

Veuve, I am not sure how to post the multiple links, but please click on this one and then the links provided in Replies ## 17, 30 and 33. Sorry if I am leaving something/someone out.... http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=212077

Lian, you have got the PM on its way.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to try too

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in! It was fun participating last time.

I can be the sender or the receiver - whatever works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oooohh!! Can I join in? I'm very new at this, so I'm not gonna be able to pick out many notes or recognize the fragrance, but blind sniffing sounds like a great learning experience. If they're all in the same category, that might help me pick up on the subtle differences.

So how would this work? Do I need to find empty bottles to send or do I cover the shipping cost for whoever sends the samples?

I'd love to participate. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh yay! 3X3 blind sniff is back! Oh man, I missed those threads!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, I am so in!!!! I loved reading the old threads!
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tips on how to make samples:

Quarry's thread
    Last edited by Aiona; 4th February 2009 at 05:47 AM.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Post Thanks / Like

All sounds great! Thanks to you for all your PMs too.

No need to send the money to cover S&H, it is all about give and take. (In 2007 we had one little package lost in the shipping and the scheduled round had to be postponed. We also had computer mulfunctions, faraway vacations, families and life in general, all worked out just fine in the end. So fear not!) I will also try to include something personal besides A, B and C in your packages, scent/life related. And again, what is not related to life/scent? Chocolate? That said, I suppose it is only fair that in case of multiple volunteers to participate in sample receiving, the preferences are given to those people who send as well or volunteer to send.

Small vials: there are multiple resources on the net but my personal favorite is exoticfragrances.com out of NYC although their S&H is most cost effective when ordering in bulk. It can be further discussed through PM in detail in each particular case (last time we had a couple of emergencies that had been successfully resolved).

What's in this for me personally? Lots! An educated community of friends being the most important of them all. Really, it has never been intended as some sort of pyramid scheme where I get all the samples and enjoy them for the rest of my days.

I also tend to Edit my messages as I am not the best speller out there and often times my fingers are faster than my brain.

How the scents are chosen? My firm belief is that anything even the most disconnected fragrances can be presented in the manner that relates them to each other. One of the working titles for a forthcoming round was "Starry, Starry Night" -- alas! never happened though! -- and please tell me what can NOT fall into this category? Everything goes, or so it seems! Let's see: from night blooming jasmine, Datura Noir, Van Gough , pop music of the 70s (or, was it late 60's?), scents in dark blue bottles, scents having the variations of "Evening", "Night" and "Star" in their names, to scents connected with nocturnal animals/birds, etc., you get the idea!

We can also go by Miss Q's schedule for the Orientals, Chypres, Aquatic, Florals, etc. or come up with something seasonal like Easter (lilies, incense, bunnies and chicks), summer vacations ("Mojitos and Mosquitoes" ), there are no limitations, seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

Twolf, if there is anything in my wardrobe you'd like to include in a test, just let me know - I'll be happy to help in any way.

I really enjoyed following the 3x3 blind sniff threads - I learned a lot and heard about some interesting perfumes. I'm SO glad you're bringing them back!
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Sounds like fun. I could send, contribute scents maybe even sniff.

there are so many interesting possibilities of 3 scents....

I guess I could handle any round involving woods and spices as sample-giver. Less so for other choices....So please count on me for those two!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is it coincidence that I can't see anyone's wardrobe icons today?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Everything goes, or so it seems! Let's see: from night blooming jasmine, Datura Noir, Van Gough , pop music of the 70s (or, was it late 60's?), scents in dark blue bottles, scents having the variations of "Evening", "Night" and "Star" in their names, to scents connected with nocturnal animals/birds, etc., you get the idea!

We can also go by Miss Q's schedule for the Orientals, Chypres, Aquatic, Florals, etc. or come up with something seasonal like Easter (lilies, incense, bunnies and chicks), summer vacations ("Mojitos and Mosquitoes" ), there are no limitations, seriously.
    Now my brain gears are really rolling.
    Hmmm.
    I might have to hold myself back from hosting more than one on round!
    What is the estimated kickoff time?

Post Thanks / Like

Kickoff time: in the very first post I wrote that, perhaps, mid-March would be a good idea. How about March 15, 2009?

I will be sending the samples for Round 1 and the recipients are going to be chosen in the order they submitted their replies to this thread. I am also thinking that to remind everybody on how it is played we will just go with the older BN members, those who were around when we played two years ago. The topic I am planning to cover is "Cuckoo for Coco" (think whatever you want ): Spicy Orientals, M-lle Chanel, chocolate, coconuts or, even something I received from our Hong Kong Basenoter named Coconut, whatever tickles your fancy! Any volunteers to sniff? Personally, I am inclined towards purplebird7, mikeperez and L_i_B.

The sender for Round 2 (mid-April) will be Lady_in_Black, and the sender for Round 3 (mid-May) will be mikeperez23. How about this?

We all have plenty of time to exchange addresses or find Partners in crime, i.e. team up with other people (we have a small but mighty powerful Lincoln NE representation *khm khm* in case nobody else noticed, we have interesting scents hiding in CA closets too!) and host a round or several. Aiona, I read your PM, and will team you up with someone, I promise.

If it helps any, the name of the forthcoming round may be announced in advance or may be kept in secret till we go "live". If a sniiffer feels confident about the scent he/she is sniffing, they may contact the Round host through PM with the correct answer thus giving a chance to the rest of us to guess and come up with our own answers.

What also worked in the past: being a host for Mean'n'Green round, I have informed another member about the contents of the vials in question and she was standing by ready to jump in if something happened to me (it was Tinker). Miss Tao chose me to be her back up, and I suspect Miss R. was a backup for Lady_in_Black's rounds. Now we all have buddies, don't we?

So far so good?

Somewhere, down the line I would like to be a sniffer too!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

March 15th works for me!

((hands folded...waiting patiently))
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th February 2009 at 05:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to do this--either send (if my wardrobe is broad enough) and/or sniff. I definitely need to focus on sharpening my note identification skills.

I'm still a bit unclear on how it actually works, so I think it's a great idea that the newbies stand by on the first round or two.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to participate as well. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.
    "Not my cup of mud."
    Oscar the Grouch

Can't wait to see how it works!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Can't wait to see how it works!!!
    Ditto. Avidly watching here.

Post Thanks / Like

I am game to send and receive. Watching the first round is a great idea!

TWolf, I'll be honoured to play the sniffing role in the first round (and I hope I'll not be spoiling the fun this time, due to my crazy customs ).

Although I am sure I'll have a hard time with the super-noses of mikeperez and purplebird!

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    Ditto. Avidly watching here.
    And me!
    I'm very curious as to how it will play out in practice. Seems like one of those things that will fall into place as you go, even if the initial description sounds complicated.
    I've sneaked off and read some of the older threads, and they sound promising!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

I´d love to send and receive, I´ll let all know when I have new tester vials. If my wardrobe isn't big enough..well..darn I´ll buy some more :P
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

So wonderful of you all to be interested!

Anyhow, just wanted to inform you that the samples marked A, B and C have been mailed out and should reach purplebird7, MikePerez23 within the next couple of days and Lady_in_Black -- within the next couple of weeks, fingers crossed.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update TWolf - looking forward to getting the samples and the March 15th CELEBRITY BASENOTES DEATHMATCH 3 x 3 BLIND SNIFFATHON!!!

(('We Will Rock You' by Queen plays in the background))
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th February 2009 at 01:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I will look forward to Round #1.
    Mike, LIB, get yer gloves on and come out swingin'. LOL.
    LIB, your nose is every bit as good as mine. Plus, you've smelled way more frags than I have.
    Certainly, I will invite Kumquat to join us.
    And this time, I will try not to blurt out my answer prematurely.
    Waiting... impatiently... to learn name... of round... concerning "Cukoo for Coco..." (good choice for me, actually).
    Ahhh! Can't stand waiting...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to participate; please count me in!

I have a good collection of gourmands to share, so any time that category seems appropriate I'm happy to distribute!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, we are going to rock!

OK, here is what I got:

March -- Round 1 -- Cuckoo for Coco -- host Twolf, sniffers MikePerez23, Purplebird7 and Lady_in_Black.

April -- Round 2 -- ___________________ -- host Lady_in_Black, sniffers Lian, Ubuandibeme and veuve amiot (how about making it easy on the host and sending at least 2 packages within the same continent?). Please comment.

May -- Round 3 -- _____________________ -- host MikePerez23, sniffers debbbora, lizzie_j and Black_Cat.

June -- Round 4 -- ______________________ -- host Asha, sniffers Wordbird, Twolf and exquisitely me.

July -- Round 5 -- ____________________ -- sender whisperingleaves, sniffers Asha, Haunani and jillsy.

August -- Round 6 -- _________________ -- hosts kumquat and purplebird7, sniffers whisperingleaves, Aiona and RHM.

September -- Round 7 -- _______________ -- host lizzie_j, sniffers lushdoup, kess and arwen-elf.

The following people will be sniffers for the future rounds after September:
    -- kumquat,
    -- Taolady,
    -- SommervilleMetroMan.

Of course, if you want to host a Blind Sniffing round, just jump in. And, everybody, of course, can participate in guessing or asking questions when the sniffers post their impressions.

Perhaps, you have noticed, I was assigning sniffing/sending positions strictly in the order you guys posted replies on this thread. Topics/names for the Rounds have to be further discussed/ thought out.

If there is a round you are particularly interested in doing either way -- sniffing or hosting -- please let us know. Or, vice versa, if someone can't stand even a thought of wearing, say, a tuberose based scent even for a day -- and there are a few among us! -- please speak up!
    Last edited by Twolf; 3rd March 2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Per BNer's request via PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!
    Can I be included in the "after July" group, please????
    Thanks!!
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly, very glad to have you with us, elf! Lizzie_j will be the sender for the August round, and I will include you in the list in my previous post. To keep everything organizational together.

Talking Re: Resurrecting the 3x3 Blind Sniff

Certainly, very glad to have you with us, elf! Lizzie_j will be the sender for the August round, and I will include you in the list in my previous post. To keep everything organizational together.
    Yay! I'm soooo excited! Thank you!!

Ooh, exciting! I'll be avidly following the first round and *trying* not to get intimidated by my fellow sniffers with more experience than me in round 2... It'll be fun!

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I got my samples from Twolf. You're so sweet, the way you wrapped it with tissue paper, a cute bow and lot's of little goodies...how special you are. Thanks sweetie.

I promise not to even open up the plastic bag that the three samples came in, until purplebird7 and Lady_in_Black have received their packages - to be fair. So ladies, please post when you get 'em!

Post Thanks / Like

You are very welcome, MikePerez23! Another reason for me trying to revive this game is an opportunity to share the bounty. I have too much for one person to use up during one life time, and I am not a cat in case you did not know....

However, there are some changes in post #38, as per a Basenoter request. Black_Cat, please pay attention!

Post Thanks / Like

So excited by this

So, will this be one continuing thread in months to come, or a new thread for each month/3x3? (Just wondering about the logistics)

Post Thanks / Like

We need to keep this one somewhere for resolving organizational issues, like who is sending and who is sniffing and who is jumping in, what topics have been covered, etc.

For each round there will be a dedicated/separate thread, I suppose. Like somewhere in the middle of March please watch out for 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 1 Cuckoo for Coco. On the other hand it would be easier to have all of our sniffing impressions in one place, but the thread will become so large that it would be hard to follow I am afraid. Whatever works for all of us, works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Twolf, I've got my samples and await orders to proceed.
    Hi, mikeperez! I'm glad you're good to go.
    As for LIB, I hope the 3x3 samples speed their way through to her in Italy. I hate to say this, but the last package of fragrance I sent to her hasn't reacher her yet, and I'm hoping it's not waylaid by customs.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 27th February 2009 at 03:14 AM.

Guys, please don't make me feel worse than I already do for my crazy customs procedures
    With a couple of exceptions, in my experience it takes at least 10 days for packages from the US to reach me - that is, if they are not held up by customs...you may give "held up" several meanings

After all, Round 1 was initially scheduled to start on March 15th

Please, sniffers for Round 2, you may start to send me your addies

Post Thanks / Like

Please do not despair, darling! This time I said a secret word over a box as I was packing it, and it promised it would reach you next week. :bounce:

Twolf aka the perfume fairy
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 27th February 2009 at 12:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This probably should not appear here on this thread, but here goes: not necessarily! I am also a sock fairy, a junk book fairy and a Ghirardelli -- something Italian not available in Italy -- fairy too. All part time jobs!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, tell me your secret word, because I really wanted a package of amber to reach LIB, and evidently I said the wrong word (at least on the customs form) because it has been weeks if not a month since I sent it.
    Well, warm feet, trashy books and good chocolate? That would make anybody's day great.

We need to keep this one somewhere for resolving organizational issues, like who is sending and who is sniffing and who is jumping in, what topics have been covered, etc.

For each round there will be a dedicated/separate thread, I suppose. Like somewhere in the middle of March please watch out for 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 1 Cuckoo for Coco. On the other hand it would be easier to have all of our sniffing impressions in one place, but the thread will become so large that it would be hard to follow I am afraid. Whatever works for all of us, works for me.
    My two scents: A dedicated thread for each sniffathon. But I'm very concrete and get lost easily..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks lizzie_j! In the meantime, Round 6 (August) has shaped up, please check post #38.

I vote dedicated threads, too!
    large threads can be intimidating.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Round No. 6 in August will be the "Nebraska Round."
    Whisperingleaves, Aiona and RHM, please PM kumquat or me about what categories you find intrigueing.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 1st March 2009 at 02:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Twolf, when you make the new threads, can you put the schedule in the first post each time? That way we can refer to the most recent thread...

Maybe reposting the rules in the first thread would be helpful too
    Last edited by Asha; 1st March 2009 at 02:21 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Twolf, when you make the new threads, can you put the schedule in the first post each time? That way we can refer to the most recent thread...

Maybe reposting the rules in the first thread would be helpful too
    Nice ideas, Asha. I second that!

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to say to repost the rules in the first message of each thread