Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Resurrecting the 3x3 Blind Sniff

Or, we could start a new thread with the rules and the schedule, right before the start of Round 1, and ask the kind mods to make a sticky out of that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

All good ideas, keep them coming!

My BN friend Miss Tao wants to participate too, so I am putting her in the list.

Red face Re: Resurrecting the 3x3 Blind Sniff

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Or, we could start a new thread with the rules and the schedule, right before the start of Round 1, and ask the kind mods to make a sticky out of that
    Great idea, oh experienced one. That would help those of us who are easily confused by long threads!

Don't know why I didn't notice this before. I am willing to be either a sender or receiver.
    Especially since by the time I do either I'll get a good idea of how this all works.
    Thanks twolf for resurrecting this it sounds like fun.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus

Round 6 the "Nebraska Round?"

Oh....kaaay....?

"Is that like wheat perfume?" she asks in her best "dumb" voice.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I just got back from traveling and saw this thread. I'm so excited for May (and that's my birthday month--how appropriate)! Thanks!!!!

Twolf, I love Ghirardelli chocolate. It always reminds me of San Francisco.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 2nd March 2009 at 05:15 PM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Round 6 the "Nebraska Round?"

Oh....kaaay....?

"Is that like wheat perfume?" she asks in her best "dumb" voice.
    See as a college football fan I'm thinking Big Red.
    Which them means roses and then it would be three rose forward scents.
    Or maybe something entirely different, of course.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 2nd March 2009 at 08:38 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus

Oh Oh I like that idea better...Big Red.
    'Course...I'm just a lil ole sniffer so it's not up to me.

In case anyone wants to know, I am smelling Spectral Violet on Neil's arm in my avatar. He was just getting ready to announce the release of Parfum d'Ida & told me he had made a scent for James Dotson. Neil wanted to know what I thought of it. I liked it, I really liked it!

Back on topic.....Round 6, The Nebraska Round....Can't wait!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

So I take it the sender gets to pick their own theme?

Asha, yes! I left blank spaces with the name of the Rounds and said that they are to be further discussed/ announced/ thought out. I thought it would make the whole thing more interesting with intrigue. It is also up to the sender/host to disclose the round name in advance before the samples are mailed out, or on the first day of sniffing. If it is too difficult and the host is running out of ideas, please team up with someone else on the board to come up with your theme(s) together. Taolady has graciously agreed to be my co-host for Cuckoo.

Nebraska? I suppose we take this as just a geographic location from which the samples will be mailed out. However, I think your guess of Big Red, wheat, milk and cows (labdanum, castoreum and civEt :-) ) might have something in it. (Personally, I love the name Big Red -- a lot of nuances can be included, from cinnamon and roses to bottles and boxes, names and places, leave it to your imagination!)

SMM, welcome! Nice to see you and as much as I am enjoying your musings on our SotD threads, it would be a pleasure to read your impressions right here. Wild Poodles included.
    Last edited by Twolf; 3rd March 2009 at 10:38 AM.

Blog Entries

I like all of you brainstorming the Nebraska perfume theme. I suppose if there was one that was based on steak & corn & hay that would be the ideal. But we are still mulling it over. Big Red roses is especially cute!

Yeah, it was my fault for not mentioning to RHM that kumquat and I are both from Nebraska. But now that you mention it, Nebraska would make an interesting theme.
    Leather? Plenty of cattle here.
    Fecal notes? Lots of feedlots.
    One that would never make it on the list is marine.
    Big Red? Cinnamon or bottle colors, like Twolf said.
    Popcorn note?
    Ah, the mind reels...

Bumping for L_i_B. Please!

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: Resurrecting the 3x3 Blind Sniff

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Yeah, it was my fault for not mentioning to RHM that kumquat and I are both from Nebraska. But now that you mention it, Nebraska would make an interesting theme.
    Leather? Plenty of cattle here.
    Fecal notes? Lots of feedlots.
    One that would never make it on the list is marine.
    Big Red? Cinnamon or bottle colors, like Twolf said.
    Popcorn note?
    Ah, the mind reels...
    It's true...the more I think about it, there really IS a lot there . I am really looking forward to our Nebraska Round!

Guys, I have fabulous news!!! The magic words TWolf said over her package to me worked like a charm . Thanks TWolf!!!!
    I didn't get to opening the package yet and can't wait to go home tonight :bounce:

So count me as ready for Round 1! :wave:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Guys, I have fabulous news!!! The magic words TWolf said over her package to me worked like a charm. Thanks TWolf!!!!
    I didn't get to opening the package yet and can't wait to go home tonight.

So count me as ready for Round 1!
    Oh wonderful news!

Now, I'm gonna go home and start sniffing the vials getting myself ready for the big event!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Kickoff time: in the very first post I wrote that, perhaps, mid-March would be a good idea. How about March 15, 2009?
    Oh no, I forgot about this start date! I'll be out of town this weekend, but looking forward to reading when I get back!
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Are we ready yet?
    Just as I suspected, my samples from Profumo are ready to ship to me, right when I need to be doing the 3 x 3 Blind Sniff.
    So, let's start if we can.

Started the thread. Please have a look!

Twolf, what size samples are they? Does it vary depending on discretion of the host? Are we also guessing concentration?

Back in 2006 I sent 1ml samples and received 1 to 2 ml samples as a sniffer. This time I took 2 ml vials and filled them almost full. So the answer is yes, it is all up to the host. If a scent is very rare and you can only afford sparing a little of it, I do not think we will all mind less than 1 ml either. However, I would recommend at least enough to sniff and wear it, perhaps, twice or three times? How do you feel about it?

We are not guessing concentration as is, although in some cases the scents are available in oil form only and it is not very obvious to the people who just read and guess without having the samples in front of them. In other cases the concentration is very important, like Ferre EdP and Ferre by Ferre EdT (same with Chanel Allure and many more!) are two different scents with different notes launched in different years. Make it as tricky or as simple as you would like, I would say.

Good questions, BTW!

I think I'd like to be on the list of senders. I had an inspiration for a heading and have the scents to make it happen.

We seem to have an unforeseen circumstance here: lizzie_j from Alameda, CA is nowhere to be found. In spite of MikeP several attempts to contact her, there is still no response and his deadline sending samples out for Round 3 is approaching rapidly. My understanding is that Black_Cat and debbborra confirmed their participation.

We have several ways of resolving this:
    1) Appoint a sniffer from June list. Many of you know I am on the move and Wordbird is in Europe, this leaves us with exquisitely me. EM, how do you feel about blind sniffing for us in May instead of June? We will work later on finding a substitute for the June round of blind sniff.
    2) Look for someone from the later months' list. Any volunteers?
    3) Look for someone entirely new whose name does not appear in the list anywhere.

How do you guys feel about it?

This is where we are standing right now:

May -- Round 3 -- _____________________ -- host MikePerez23, sniffers debbborra, _____________ and Black_Cat.

June -- Round 4 -- ______________________ -- host Asha, sniffers Wordbird, Twolf and exquisitely me.

July -- Round 5 -- ____________________ -- host whisperingleaves, sniffers Asha, Haunani and jillsy.

August -- Round 6 -- _________________ -- hosts kumquat and purplebird7, sniffers whisperingleaves, Aiona and RHM.

September -- Round 7 -- _______________ -- host lizzie_j, sniffers lushsoup, kess and arwen-elf.

October -- Round 8 -- ________________ -- host debbborra, sniffers kumquat, Taolady and SMM.

November -- Round 9 -- _______________ -- host BlackCat, sniffers ________, ___________ and _________.

Any MORE volunteers to sniff/send?
    Last edited by Twolf; 27th April 2009 at 01:19 PM.

I have already done my "research" for the June round, checking wardrobes, etc. My suggestion would be to take a sniffer from a later round, or put in somebody new.

OK, then we need a volunteer if we do not hear from lizzie_j until May 1.

If no one volunteers, then we will post the same on the Men's side.

If there is still no volunteers, then I will appoint someone. I have a couple of nice candidates in mind, tang, ComDiva, lilybelle and darkdreams, just to name a few. (I already see Mikie rubbing his hands impatiently waiting to surprise his scent sister ).

I'll do it!

Great! I knew we could do it. Thank you, Sunnyfunny.

Well thank you! I look forward to expanding my lil brain a bit.

Welcome, Sunnyfunny--it will be good to sniff with you and debbborra. Although I hope lizzie_j is O.K.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Checked lizzie_j's profile again -- last time she was on BN was on April 22. Does anyone have her actual address and can contact her by snail-mail? She is also supposed to be hosting a September round of sniffing, but it is early to jump to any conclusions (*confusions*) about it, though, I think.

BlackCat you are a host for the November 3x3 Blind Sniff, if it OK with you.

bleu autumn haze

I think I remember Lizzie saying something about having some surgery this month. I hope she is ok ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Thank you, Shades! Hope so too.

Basenotes Institution

If I don't hear from her by mid-week I will send her an email to her personal email address which I happen to have.

Debbborah and BlackCat have corresponded with me already and their samples went out in today's mail.

In case anyone missed my post on the tail end of the last 3x3 thread, the theme for my round in May is:

The Good Girl, The Bad Girl and The Robot Girl - a story in 3 parts

My backup is Somervile Metro Man.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    If I don't hear from her by mid-week I will send her an email to her personal email address which I happen to have...
    UPDATE - so I didn't hear back at all from Lizzie_J (hugs and prayers for her...wherever she's at) so Sunnyfunny is going to be our 3rd sniffer!

I am mailing out her A, B and C samples tomorrow and as soon as she receives them next week we'll start the round.

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'd love to take part in this! Unfortunately I can't make plans as far as this fall, but I'm definitely interested in future rounds and if a host or participant drops out in the mean time I'm happy to fill the gap.

There are going to be some structural changes in the future rounds of the Blind Sniff, please check the latest update:

July -- Round 5 -- ____________________ -- host Twolf, sniffers Asha, Haunani and jillsy.

August -- Round 6 -- _________________ -- hosts kumquat and purplebird7, sniffers lushsoup, Aiona and RHM.

September -- Round 7 -- _______________ -- host debbborra, sniffers kumquat, kess and arwen-elf.

October -- Round 8 -- ________________ -- host BlackCat, sniffers Taolady, SMM and Galamb Borong.

There is a new volunteer -- please give a round of applause to Gblue from the UK who will be a sniffer in November.

In the light of the latest developments in the current round of 3x3 Blind Sniff, is there anyone else who would like to be on either side of the game? Please PM, I will try to incorporate your enthusiasm.

Thank you for your constant support.

There is another volunteer -- LedByMyNose, who admits to be a newbie but a willing-to-learn-a-lot one!

There are some changes going to happen again in our regularly scheduled programming. Here's the the latest scoop:

******* July -- BREAK, Summer vacations, preparing kids to go back to school! *******

August -- Round 5 -- ____________________ -- host whisperingleaves, sniffers Asha, Haunani and jillsy.

September -- Round 6 -- _________________ -- hosts kumquat and purplebird7, sniffers whisperingleaves, Aiona and RHM.

October -- Round 7 -- _______________ -- host debbborra, sniffers lushsoup, kess and arwen-elf.

November -- Round 8 -- ________________ -- host BlackCat, sniffers kumquat, Taolady and SMM.

December -- Round 9 -- __________________ -- host Twolf, sniffers Galamb Borong, Gblue and LedByMyNose.

If there are more suggestions, questions, concerns and, of course!, volunteers, please let me know here or in a PM. Thanks!

Whew! Glad I checked! Looking forward to the ensuing fun.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

I haven't seen Lushsoup online for quite a long time--you may want to PM her soon to make sure she is still available!

Good thought. Maybe summer vacation? Should I wait until September?
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

I'm not sure, debbborra. Sometimes BNers take a break for other reasons too--I haven't seen Lushsoup for months. I miss her, and hope she comes back to play!

Haven't seen purplebird for ages, contacted kumquat and she is informing me that the preparations for the round they are hosting are in full swing.

Now, please, Aiona (who is very expecting!), RHM and whisperingleaves, send kumquat your snail-mail addresses -- if it has not been done yet? -- and we shall call it game!

Will we be able to do it live on or around September 15?
    Last edited by Twolf; 1st September 2009 at 08:41 AM.

Blog Entries

If you require any substitute players, I'd be happy to step in if needed. I've had so much fun playing along at home with you all!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thanks, an_oud_girl, I was thinking about including you into our October sniffing group -- you are all California people, you can meet in person if need be, instead of lushsoup in case she does not surface up before then.

Now back to our September round. Any developments? Please hosts or sniffers, chime in.

I'll sub in if anyone can't particpate, it sounds like a lot of fun! Hosts! I have a few things I could share if you want some help. Check out the "Test List" in my wardrobe and then PM me...some are only wee samples, but several are FBs that I have enough of to share.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Blog Entries

I'm the new host it seems. I have a little prep work to do. Purplebird has been helping me write some intriguing clues and the samples are being prepared. I haven't heard from Aiona or RHM for their addresses so it seems we're a bit behind. Let's get these samples in the mail!

Any new developments in our Nebraskan Round of Blind Sniff?

Last thing I heard that the sniffers are going to be:
    -- whisperingleaves;
    -- RHM;
    -- an_oud_girl (Aiona is "very" expecting with any day now!).

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hi, everyone. The samples are in the mail & should be there by Mon. So we can begin sniffing as soon as everyone is ready. There are several day & night restrictions when people will not be available. I am not sure when the first time we are all ready is. Anytime after Mon, I would think.

Wonderful. I'll let you know when mine arrive.

Blog Entries

Me too! FYI~ I have evening plans next Friday and Saturday, so I will be away from the computer from late afternoon until about midnight PST both days. Of course, I'll be itching to check in as soon as I get home, though I know you all will long be in bed by then!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I have a package and 3 samples.

Not sure exactly when we will start but keep watch for a new thread sometime soon after we all check in with kumquat.

Basenotes Plus

I pm'ed kuquat to let her know I had received my package the other day. Have resisted sniffing as of yet been busy in the evenings with my daughter, homework & killing scary spiders. Wish I didn't have to kill them but we are both very allergic to their bites.

Blog Entries

I'm waiting to hear from our Oud Girl. I assume she wants to wait until next week to start since she has plans for the weekend? Anyway as soon as she contacts me we can firm up our start plans.

Blog Entries

My package is here too! I looked just enough to be sure they're all safely arrived, then (with difficulty) set them aside until we begin. They look so tempting though!

I can be around on Friday and Saturday until about 6:00 pm est. But it sounds like whisperingleaves will have even less spare time than I will, so I'm happy to wait until we can all dive in and enjoy this round of the game. :bounce::bounce::bounce:
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Everyone has their samples and the only thing I'm waiting for is a call from Purplebird. the last time we spoke, her hard drive had crashed. WAH! I did so want her to help with this. I hope to hear that she has a new HD soon and can get back online. If I don't get some good news to that effect by tonight, we will have to go on with out her.

Seems like our summer break in the game is getting way too long.... Are we going to Blind-sniff in September at all or what? Please, host(s) or sniffers, update us on the latest.

Meantime, we need the third sniffer for the October round hosted by debbborra. I hope I am not missing anything, and I think we might want to appoint Galamb_Borong (a Canadian!) as the third sniffer instead of lushsoup, thus making his slot in December available for Mo. If there are any other suggestions, please let me know either here or in PM.

I am ready and raring to go, so as soon as we settle on the three I'll contact them for their addresses. Of course nothing will be sent until September's 3x3 is concluded.

Ready and waiting for september to start. I have my samples.