Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Resurrecting the 3x3 Blind Sniff

Well, sorry guys - I was hoping to hear Purplebird was going to join in but I guess her computer problem is still ongoing. We can proceed pretty soon. I need to gather my notes. If all are ready, just check in.

Blog Entries

Ready here! I just double checked with DH and I should be around this weekend, all weekend (pretty much). I can start Thursday, Friday, whenever.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

I can do it tonight, Thursday - if you all are ready.

I can check in later tonight after I make it home and post some first impressions.

Blog Entries

I check back in in a a few hours too.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Let's do all three at the same time. We can compare notes on the three. I need to dig out my clues for the three, it won't take long.

I can tell you the three scents have some things in common;
    All are named for or credited to a creative person. Someone who is an artist, or designer or writer, etc..
    I apologize for my clumsy wording of this plot. Purplebird is the writer. Anyway, living in the middle of nowhere affects my way of wearing perfume. I can only experience this art form from my viewpoint, which is at least less limited now that there is internet access to perfume , along with credit cards & world wide shipping, we're pretty well hooked up to the rest of the world.

And, even though Nebraska is in the middle of nowhere, a lot of interesting & creative people have come from there.In no particular order; Marlon Brando, Paul Whiteman, Robert Henri, Harold Eggerton, Ted Kooser (US Poet Laureat), Willa Cather. But I digress. So, each of the three perfumes is named for or made by a creative person in the arts.

And we in Nebraska and nearby hinterlands aren't really out of it. (Note to big-wig fancy pants who don't make good perfumes available to us, if you care!)

Everyone start sniffing and tell us what you think you have. Oriental , floral, etc. and we'll go from there. Ok?

Kumquat, can you start a new thread for this round?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    And, even though Nebraska is in the middle of nowhere, a lot of interesting & creative people have come from there.In no particular order; Marlon Brando, Paul Whiteman, Robert Henri, Harold Eggerton, Ted Kooser (US Poet Laureat), Willa Cather.
    and Mr. Arwen
    Evenstar

Whisperingleaves has started a new thread -- thank you very much! I encourage everybody to read and participate.

Everyone has responded for October and we're all ready to go. Except for me. I ordered vials late. And I'm going out of town on Monday, so everything will be mailed on Thursday. Hopefully we'll be ready to rock and roll by the week after next.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Good, thanks for the update! I was also informed that debbborra has got everyone's address -- which is also excellent!

What's the status of October sniff? Is everyone ready yet? Debbborra, please write a short message for everyone to see: who is your backup and what's the theme, if you have a minute.

As soon as two more people check in we will be ready to rock and roll. I'll start a new topic and give everyone some insight. Takes a bit longer to get to Canada. Probably because those Canadian Postmen have to trudge though all that snow!
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

BlackCat reporting in for November duty. It's early yet, but I'll contact kumquat, Taolady, and SMM in the next week or so to make sure we don't push up against Thanksgiving.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

Am I doing something for November? I can't use my message box now, it's reading full even though I emptied it. Grant said he would try to fix it.

Kumquat, the last schedule I saw showed that I was hosting in November, and that my sniffers were you, Taolady, and Somerville Metro Man. If your email isn't fixed in the next week, perhaps I can PM a BNer who has your real-life email, and we could get in touch that way?

Twolf, have there been any changes to the November round?

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

Oh. right. I get to be a sniffer! Contact AnthonyDG or N_Tesla. I think one of them must still have my email. Thanks, Black Cat.

October: kess, arwen_elf and Galamb_Borong (last minute change of plans for Aiona).

November: That's a good girl, Ms.Chat Noir -- with advance thinking and wonderful memory. You are right, these are your sniffers: Miss Tao, SMM and kumquat. On time.

December Round -- GBlue, LedByMyNose and YouCanCallMeMo, host Twolf, back up -- TBD. As planned.

And that would be the end of it, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    ...And that would be the end of it, I suppose.
    Well, if there is interest in continuing this, I would love to host a round later in the winter. Or spring or summer next year!

I'd do it again on either end!

Well well well. I am glad there is some interest to doing it in the community and thank you for this! Let's keep this thread on top for a little while, perhaps we will have more volunteers on either end. In my opinion, everybody should go through a Blind Sniff Boot Camp -- we are all equal doing so and does not it boost your mood to know that you can actually figure out some scented mysteries out there?

Please?

I'm starting to worry that nine days later only one package has arrived.

Mine -- sent two weeks ago to Toronto -- arrived in four days. Of course, I am in the North of the US, probably closer to Toronto than to LA.

Well, I'm in NY but I think everything went to the west coast. But that doesn't explain why only one of the two to California arrived. I'm worried.

debbborra -- Mail of any kind from the USA to Canada can be excruciatingly slow, often 10 days. There is nothing for it, I've always had everything arrive... eventually.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Ody, what would you say to being a sniffer once yourself? Next year?

We need volunteers. If we do not have volunteers, I will appoint someone whose reviews, tastes, etc. I find interesting or who I find interesting as a person.

Ody, what would you say to being a sniffer once yourself? Next year?

We need volunteers. If we do not have volunteers, I will appoint someone whose reviews, tastes, etc. I find interesting or who I find interesting as a person.
    That's nice, sure I'll volunteer to be a sniffer. If there is a green theme, I'll probably do better. If not, I'll do the best I can
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I'm slipping into panic mode, I'm not sure what follows panic mode.

Just wait another week. Do not panic, this is not the worst thing in life. I sent an unrelated PM to Galamb_Borong today and I have not got an answer yet. Perhaps, it is his modus operandi? Once again, we are all different and this is a weekend, so many things are going in our lives, I suppose.

debbborra, did kess actually confirm that she would participate? It has been ages since I've seen her around the boards.

Yep, Kess is in. Soon as her package arrives. I'm out of one of the fragrances, so if I have to repack... I'm going to have to scramble. Let's hope really really hard that it gets there tomorrow.

How much longer should we give it, and what do we do if it doesn't arrive by then?

I can get my hands on some what's missing somehow I'm sure. Even if it means ordering a sample from someplace. But that takes time and there is more mailing time after.

I think it's time to talk about plan B.

I'll pm Kess now just to confirm it hasn't arrived. (And I'll feel like an annoying idiot doing it, but I don't think I can stop myself.)

Thoughts?

My opinion --as per post # 149 -- is to wait another week, it is still October and a week from now it will still be October. Please do not dismiss the two packages as lost and do not rush to scramble around to send another two. One package lost is believable, two packages lost are a bit unrealistic., IMHO.

If two packages have not reached their recipients by October 31, we will do it in early November. November round then, should be scheduled not for the middle of the month 14-17, but for 20-21, to fit in before the Thanksgiving.

Any other suggestions?

Ok then. Deep breath. I feel guilty because if I'd ordered the vials in a timely fashion I could have sent the packages a week earlier. But it's done.

Hosts can point at me in later months and say, "Don't let this happen to you!" I can be a cautionary tale.

Mail can be excrutiatingly slow, only when it is critical. Patience is key. Hang in there!
    Twolf is giving wise contingency advice.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 20th October 2009 at 03:20 AM.
    odysseusm

My package arrived today. Thank you!

Two down, one to go!

If two packages have not reached their recipients by October 31, we will do it in early November. November round then, should be scheduled not for the middle of the month 14-17, but for 20-21, to fit in before the Thanksgiving.

Any other suggestions?
    I might not be available 11/20 and 11/21, but I could do it 11/18-19. Luckily, it sounds like the October round may be good to go this month.

I have a suggestion, that I hope doesn't offend everyone's sense of order. If I don't hear that the third package has arrived by Friday, I'll order the fragrance I'm out of.

Which means that once it comes I can send out the package again. Which means we'll be waiting for it to arrive. Again.

If everyone is ok with it, maybe Black Cat can start at the beginning of November and we can have October at the end of November.

However, I'm hoping that that first package gets there. Come on Mr. Postman!

D., once again, please do not rush. Nobody is blaming you that the package has not been sent out to start with, wait until the week ends.

Have you heard anything from kess at all? Last time I checked she was here on BN at the beginning of October (on the 3rd), and before that -- in the middle of September. She might have received the samples and is not logging in, due to one reason or another, unknown to us.

People in CA -- if you have kess' telephone number -- which you may since she was with you all at the BN worldwide meeting -- please give her a call and check if everything is all right with her and hers.
    Last edited by Twolf; 21st October 2009 at 03:18 PM.

I'm happy to start the sniffing now or later, but given that schedules are being moved around a lot, I thought I should drop a note saying I'll be away, in San Francisco, from the the 27th of this month till the 3rd of November, and won't be able to take part in sniffing during that time.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 21st October 2009 at 09:11 PM.

Any news from kess yet?

If she is nowhere around and no one is able to get in touch with her by the end of Friday (say 22:00 debbborra's time, 18:00 in CA) -- I would say go ahead and make it a 2x3 sniff sans kess, perhaps she may join later on with samples B and C.

Any other opinions, please?

I think Twolf has a good idea. Kess may be able to join the program, already in progress. I think we should move ahead on this.
    odysseusm

I have checked kess' public profile again and it shows that the last activity was on Oct.3. Once again, if you guys have her telephone number, please contact her -- there might be one hundred circumstances preventing her from logging in.

I will not be around for the next couple of days since I am technically on vacation from work, please go ahead and start Friday night or Saturday morning.

Debbborra, please start a separate thread.

Again, I'm in agreement with Twolf. We have a window to move ahead. I look forward to the game. We have to improvise, given the circumstances. It will still be fun.
    odysseusm

We're moving ahead.

Being the host for the December round, I have requested the sniffers' addresses via PM:
    YouCanCallMeMo,
    LedByMyNose and
    GBlue.

Have not heard from LedByMy Nose yet, YouCanCallMeMo confirmed participation and Gblue says he is too busy at this time. So, we have an empty sniffing position, at least one.

Anybody interested?

Default Re: Need Sniffers! Resurrecting the 3x3 Blind Sniff

And then they were two: Mo and Rogalal. Still waiting for LedByMyNose to confirm.

Default Re: Need Sniffers! Resurrecting the 3x3 Blind Sniff

Confirmed.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Good job all! How about starting on or around December 11-14?

Sounds good to me. Would advise to ship to the Canadians (am I the only one?) ASAP because as I see has been mentioned on this page, Canada Post still apparently delivers everything by dogsled and it can take aaaaages.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

Woo Hoo!

Please be kind...

As long as the dates aren't too close to Christmas, I'm fine with anything. Though my ability to post from work on weekdays is a bit limited, I should be able to play along on my lunch hours and from home.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

My December sniffers should be receiving their samples sometime next week, I hope. Please let me all know if and when, OK?