Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Since this scent is not yet in the Directory, I thought I'd offer my own recent review:

    L'Etre Aime Homme

    Neutral ***

    L’Etre Aime Homme is the first of Divine’s scents for men that I would call superfluous. Though said to revolve around immortelle (helichrysium), it wears like a dry frankincense composition in what I think of as the Duchaufour mold. It’s basic structure is dry woods with bright citrus accents on a clear – even stark – incense foundation. That the heavy, syrupy texture of immortelle doesn’t reach me until late in the development is an advantage as far as I’m concerned, as it’s a note I often find cloying and oppressive. On the other hand, what I do smell is not terribly exciting or original.

    The dry, woody incense scheme may have been novel a decade or so back, but it’s since been thoroughly exploited by firms like Comme des Garcons, L’Artisan Parfumeur, and Amouage. Avignon does much the same thing as L’Etre Aime for less money, scents like Dzongkha or Eau d’Italie do it with more daring, while Dia and Jubilation XXV do it with far greater depth and complexity. (It should come as no surprise that most of these were composed by the aforementioned master of incense, Bertrand Duchaufour.) Divine’s L’Homme Sage and L’Homme de Coeur exhibited both outstanding quality and original structure. L’Etre Aime has the quality, but not the content.

    Reviews I've seen have so far been glowing, so I seem to be the dissenting voice on this one!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 3rd February 2009 at 05:28 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Thanks for your review Vibert! will look forward to sample this.

  3. #3
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,891

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    ...The dry, woody incense scheme may have been novel a decade or so back, but it’s since been thoroughly exploited by firms like Comme des Garcons, L’Artisan Parfumeur, and Amouage. Avignon does much the same thing as L’Etre Aime for less money, scents like Dzongkha or Eau d’Italie do it with more daring, while Dia and Jubilation XXV do it with far greater depth and complexity. (It should come as no surprise that most of these were composed by the aforementioned master of incense, Bertrand Duchaufour.) ...
    I can relate to what you said above. I haven't smelled LEAH, but I have encountered other shimmery woody scents and instantly thought to myself, 'Ahh...the Duchaufour Effect!' and smiled inwardly.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Why doesn't Divine get more attention on BN? Each of their scents seems to get a lot of positive reviews. I've only sampled L'Homme Sage, which I absolutely love. I really ought to pick up a bottle of it, but I can't decide whether to buy the (uneconomical) atomizer or the more economical (but annoying) splash bottle. Choices, choices...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    Why doesn't Divine get more attention on BN? Each of their scents seems to get a lot of positive reviews. I've only sampled L'Homme Sage, which I absolutely love. I really ought to pick up a bottle of it, but I can't decide whether to buy the (uneconomical) atomizer or the more economical (but annoying) splash bottle. Choices, choices...

    Couldn't agree more about L' Homme Sage. It's one of the few niche bottles that I've purchased.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Since this scent is not yet in the Directory, I thought I'd offer my own recent review:

    L'Etre Aime Homme

    Neutral ***

    L’Etre Aime Homme is the first of Divine’s scents for men that I would call superfluous. Though said to revolve around immortelle (helichrysium), it wears like a dry frankincense composition in what I think of as the Duchaufour mold. It’s basic structure is dry woods with bright citrus accents on a clear – even stark – incense foundation. That the heavy, syrupy texture of immortelle doesn’t reach me until late in the development is an advantage as far as I’m concerned, as it’s a note I often find cloying and oppressive. On the other hand, what I do smell is not terribly exciting or original.

    The dry, woody incense scheme may have been novel a decade or so back, but it’s since been thoroughly exploited by firms like Comme des Garcons, L’Artisan Parfumeur, and Amouage. Avignon does much the same thing as L’Etre Aime for less money, scents like Dzongkha or Eau d’Italie do it with more daring, while Dia and Jubilation XXV do it with far greater depth and complexity. (It should come as no surprise that most of these were composed by the aforementioned master of incense, Bertrand Duchaufour.) Divine’s L’Homme Sage and L’Homme de Coeur exhibited both outstanding quality and original structure. L’Etre Aime has the quality, but not the content.

    Reviews I've seen have so far been glowing, so I seem to be the dissenting voice on this one!
    I like Vibert's review and agree with his description, but not how the scent makes me feel. The scent doesn't feature the immortelle like Divine describes on their web page. Fans of Sables and Eau Noire (like myself) will think it needs more immortelle. I don't find the note immortelle - cloying or oppressive. L' Etre Aime Homme is cloying and oppressive though. The first day I sampled it, I overheard some people in a grocery store talking about someone is wearing stinky perfume. I knew they were talking about me because I couldn't stand smelling myself. I have it give it a one star.

    I am a Divine House fan and own and love 4 bottles - Divine, L'Homme Sage, L' Homme de Coeur and L' Infante. I wanted to like L'Etre Aime Homme so bad I continued to sample three more times with exactly the same results - a real nasty, stinky unwearable frag.
    Last edited by thebeck; 4th February 2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add verbage

  7. #7

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    I am really captivated by L'Etre Aime Homme. I find it incredibly calming and wearable. To me it has a subtle pervasiveness that is similar to L'Homme de Coeur. It doesn't smell terribly strong up close but if you have some on your wrist you are continually catching delicious whiffs. I love the strong, dry herbal/incense/floral accord. It is at once delicate and masculine.
    Problem is that it seems to me the stuff comes in more than one strength, and this is really driving me crazy. A sample from Roberto in Portugal smells strong as thebeck says: lasts well, smells great. The L'Etre Aime Homme from another reliable U.S. BNer smells much weaker, sweeter, more amber, less of that pungent herbal/incense thing I love. And two sample vials that were attached to Divine cards also smell weaker. So now I'm flummoxed. I've written Divine about it but in English which may be a pain for them. One thought I have is that I'm crazy, although my daughters have verified my sense that one version is stronger. Another is that spraying concentrates more of the fragrance in one area. I've always been skeptical about this idea but it is true that the one I spray on is strong and the versions that I've splashed on are weaker. Maybe things smell better when sent by friends? Dunno, but I'd really like to get a quantity of this wonderful stuff that matches the intensity and herbal dryness of the card that Divine sent and the decant from Roberto. I love it. Hmmm, judging from the length of this post, I'm pretty wound up about this. Uh, thanks for reading. Any thoughts? Anybody else finding their sample much weaker than thebeck's?
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 4th February 2009 at 12:56 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    Why doesn't Divine get more attention on BN?
    I think they haven't yet hit a big home run, the masterpiece everyone can agree upon to be brilliant whether, subjectively liking it or not. I personally haven't cared too much for those I've tried, with the exception of L'Homme Sage, but even that one, while very good, falls short of the "spectacular" category of, say, Caraceni or New York.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I think they haven't yet hit a big home run, the masterpiece everyone can agree upon to be brilliant whether, subjectively liking it or not. I personally haven't cared too much for those I've tried, with the exception of L'Homme Sage, but even that one, while very good, falls short of the "spectacular" category of, say, Caraceni or New York.
    Interesting. I like Caraceni, but just too short lived for me. I have a bottle of New York but only use it 2 or 3 times a year. A tad overated IMO. The way I score my perfumes is by how many times I use them. I wake up in the morning with well over 100 bottles and another 100 5-8ml decants of ones I enjoy. The funny thing is maybe only 10 get used regularly, the rest are gathering dust like antiques. L' Homme Sage was a regular a couple years ago, but is now collecting dust. I like it like an old flame. There is always a love in my heart, but the relationship is over. I still enjoy my Wife wearing her L'Infante though. For such a tiny house, over all their frags are all 4 stars except this L'Etre Aime pair.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Interesting. I like Caraceni, but just too short lived for me. I have a bottle of New York but only use it 2 or 3 times a year. A tad overated IMO. The way I score my perfumes is by how many times I use them. I wake up in the morning with well over 100 bottles and another 100 5-8ml decants of ones I enjoy. The funny thing is maybe only 10 get used regularly, the rest are gathering dust like antiques. L' Homme Sage was a regular a couple years ago, but is now collecting dust. I like it like an old flame. There is always a love in my heart, but the relationship is over. I still enjoy my Wife wearing her L'Infante though. For such a tiny house, over all their frags are all 4 stars except this L'Etre Aime pair.
    I rarely wear New York either and personally far prefer Bois du Portugal. But New York generated the kind of hype - on basenotes, with Luca Turin, in the "scene," that inevitably made people more curious about the line and perhaps could serve a certain flagship function. I suppose Divine is doing pretty well, and perhaps "hype" isn't even what a small outfit from Brittany is looking for. But sometimes it can help to generate some "heat" with a release .

    off topic: I'm at the point of feeling guilty about my many unused bottles. I've been sticking to two dozen regulars through most of the cold season and haven't even given some real favorites as much attention as I would like to. L'Homme Sage is a victim also. The goals remains that 100 bottles must go (problem is I've bought 30 new ones since making that pledge). Ah, the sorrows of abundance...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Tried this one today and really enjoyed it. L'etre aime strikes me in the same way as Divine's l"homme de Coeur - it's unique and makes an impression, but it doesn't scream for attention. As others have said about l'homme de coeur, you wear it instead of it wearing you.

    I didn't analyse the stages, but I got lots of immortelle (which smells like curry and maple syrup in a soft, floral way), ginger and sandalwood. The other notes in it's pyramid are noticeable, but they all mesh together beautifully without standing out. Don't let the curry-ness of the immortelle turn you off - this is one of the most comforting and sensual fragrances I have smelled in a long while. Although I like Eau Noire more than L'homme aime, the latter holds its ground, and smells more natural although it does have less character.

    Like I said before, if you're looking for something strange, yet soft and not too loud, you might like this. The maple syrup part of the immortelle isn't too sweet, and the curry aspect isn't too spicy. Everything is just right - perhaps that's why I find it just a tad too boring. Overall, I give it 8.25/10
    Sales thread here

  12. #12

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    Just for reference: Immortelle absolute smells more like maple syrup, while immortelle essential oil is dry, a bit straw like, with citrus accents (lemony citrus accents without being as sharp as either lemon or ginger, but like a smooth combination of the two). It does have some elements in common with frankincense or moreso elemi as it dries down.

    Reading the description on Luckyscent and the reviews here, it sounds like they built it around the immortelle note found in the essential oil.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  13. #13

    Default Re: Divine's L'Etre Aime Homme: a review

    I've sampled all the Divine scents and they all seem great initially, but on my skin I'm lucky if I get an hour's longevity. For some reason they wear extremely close on me, although they certainly smell good while they last.

Similar Threads

  1. Dior Homme
    By Kakihara in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th August 2005, 09:41 PM
  2. Review Eau Noire: Dior Homme
    By sentient in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd July 2005, 06:31 AM
  3. your collection
    By machineo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 21st June 2005, 07:57 PM
  4. So long, Yohji Homme...
    By Serpent in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 7th June 2005, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000