Code of Conduct

Default Duty free perfume shopping: do you do it?

Are you tempted by airport/boat "duty free" offers (or are there any that you consider good)?

I think I've made at least 3 of my current wardrobe purchases from duty free. I'd love to discuss what you think about airport perfume shopping and whether you use it and why.

Somehow it's more attractive to think about perfumeries with beautiful selections and knowledgeable staff, but maybe duty free shops can sometimes provide that? Or are they just for impulse shopping or filling up on what you already know and love?

Hmmm.

Default Re: Duty free perfume shopping: do you do it?

In Cancun, the duty-free was dirt cheap, and I felt like a kid in a candy store, but I didn't take advantage. Impulse all the way. I would have bought Blu Notte and I'm not sure I would have worn it that much.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 4th February 2009 at 08:08 PM.

I'm interested and look whenever I'm at a duty free shop. My situation though is that I'm interested in niche and other hard-to-find items. DF hits the mainstream market. I like a few of those scents, but I have my supply of them.
    But oh the thrill of discovery in a funky boutique or an obscure little shop!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I always have a peak in duty free. Didn't buy a thing on the way to/from Australia though, and they had loads of stuff at Heathrow that I was interested in!
    I've promised a colleague I'd look in duty free in march when I go to spain to see if they have any of the perfume she loves that we don't sell any more!

Thanks, interesting replies so far! I now wish I had added a poll question: how many of the fragrances in your current wardrobe came from duty free?

I reckon us lot are a bit different from your average perfume shopper, but there are still some similarities. All of us can be tempted by a bargain...

I started with fragrance by purchasing in duty free shops. I bought Opium and Shalimar blind, when I knew nothing (still don't), and that experience generated a search for more like them. I didn't find more like them, and I've given away most of the blind purchases from duty free that didn't reach the level of Opium and Shalimar. Happy to say I have since learned where to find wonderful and exciting fragrances, more than I can afford to purchase.

Did it once. It was not even perfume, it was a shaving soap.
    It felt so darn strange...
    I know, bussiness trips may not be as emotional as leaving your country for the next whole year or going back to see people you have not seen for another year, but I am always in a different mood at the airport.

It is as if I were to spend money because I feel the euphoria of leaving or because I want to cover the nostalgia of coming back. In other words, it is more like mood-shopping, and not something I really care for.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

In Iceland the perfume offerings are slim and mostly limited to celeb scents so duty free gives me a chance to look for more mainstream perfumes that are not available here.

Last week at schiphol I bought tom ford black orchid and was considering another kenzo perfume as well but I left it with the tom ford. At the one in Paris you can get a good selection of guerlain. I guess whats available in the duty free depends on the airport mostly.

Whenever I go somewhere I do look to see if there are any niche stores in the surrounding area though
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Hmm, it seems that even those customers (us) who might usually be more attracted to non-mainstream fragrances have still parted with SOME money at duty free shops! (And I agree that the temptation depends on the airport...).

I usually purchase cosmetic products, and Chanel parfumed soaps; the soaps are almost impossible to find in the states for some reason, in Europe and Canada it is very easy to find them. I have also purchased a bottle of No. 5 extrait, it is usually a nice price. Coming back from Canada (driving)I will usually purchase a lot of chocolat; Godiva, Lindt, Cote d'Or, Cadbury, the real thing. Most of these chocolats that are sold in the states are made here, and I can tell the difference...and I do not like them.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

I purchase things I cannot find at home. I currently have in my wardrobe from the duty free:

7:15 am in Bali
    Amarige d'Amour
    First Premier Bouquet

Nah, eBay is usually cheaper and they never really have what I want anyway...
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Planning to do a shitload of DF perfume shopping in May, when I'll be in Hong Kong. I hear the place is one of the world's retail meccas, but I'm uncertain as to whether the price difference between there and Australia is significant or not.

Can't wait to visit the Fred Malle shop there as well.

It's a shame you can't check in advance because otherwise you could buy at the dutyfree in australia when you leave for HK.

From what I remember from China is that most mainstream designers have the price of a niche here at times :/
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Basenotes Institution

I love duty free shopping for perfume. It's habit - 'Duty free equals must -buy- perfume' . I have not bought as much lately due to the economic climate and it depends on whether I have connecting international flights. I only buy more than one bottle of perfume if I am on a direct flight so I don't get caught with the fluilds rule. Some airports will actually throw tamper proof bags of fluids away that you have bought duty free from another airport in a different country, if you are unlucky.
    Heathrow has a good selection as does Changi Terminal 3.

I buy favorites to stock up - Hermes etc. Amouage Jubilation 25 etc is much cheaper at Changi Airport - something I am eyeing if I get to go east.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

What I love about airport duty-free stores is that the staff does not shadow you and pester you while you are looking around. It makes for a very nice and stress-free experience. You just look around, decide what you want, and then buy it. Wow, what a novel concept!

Quote Originally Posted by RicoSuave View Post
    What I love about airport duty-free stores is that the staff does not shadow you and pester you while you are looking around. It makes for a very nice and stress-free experience. You just look around, decide what you want, and then buy it. Wow, what a novel concept!
    Exactly! 90% of my full-bottle buy are from duty-free. I will get at least one bottle for every trip.

On my last visit, I spritz myself senseless and had a dozen scent stripes in my handbag.
    Dizzy, blurry but happy and contented!
    Last edited by Jasper; 12th February 2009 at 03:51 PM.

I do buy at Duty Free shops every single time i travel.

I think it's generally catered to impulse buyers, but we basenoters know best and take our time to think things through...

To answer your question, most of the SA at these sites are not knowledgeable of scents in a basenote-way.

cheers!

I can't help looking and trying everything on, but impulse shopping is really not for me. On the other hand, sometimes I regret not going for that particular bargain.