Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Default Recommendations and help.

I read that BaseNoters are glad to recommend fragrances for newbies like me . Right now I'm trying to find my path in this jungle of fragrances, but the more I read, my list of must-tries grow bigger and bigger, and I need some advices for which fragrances to pick. Unfortunately it's hard to find perfumes outside the mainstream-market in Sweden, so I have to order most of my samples from the US, and that's a money-issue, so I have to pick my samples carefully.

I would like to try something really spicy and "sweaty" (not a fragrance that actually smell like sweat, but a fragrance that isn't "nice" and "pleasant", if you get me ). I like orientals, I haven't tried a real leather-scent, but from what I've read about them they seem interesting too .

My favourites right now are Molinards "Habanita" and Alexander McQueens "Kingdom", but I'm searching for something more "aggressive". A heavy, dark and a bit "dirty" fragrance that really create emotions. I like when artistic expressions has a repulsive side hidden under the beauty, and I think this is something I would appreciate in fragrances as well. So, nothing nice and sweet and tender, but aggressive and dirty. Any recommendations?

Default Re: Recommendations and help.

Yatagan by Caron is just what you want-- sweaty, dark, agressive, heavy and a masterpiece.

You may also want to try: Bulgari Black, Donna Karan Black Cashmere and Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumuer. I personally find Dzing! too musty and vanilla, but it has the qualities you are looking for, and many people like it.

Happy Hunting

Welcome to BN, a heaven on earth for all of the fragrance lovers of the world.
    Go for Bandit by Robert Piguet, one of the original 'dirty' fragrances. Another one which has a dark side but is very wearable, is Azurée by Estee Lauder, oh that has some darkness to it; quite an animal kick to it.
    Good luck, let me know.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Maybe look into Santa Maria Novella's Acqua di Cuba. A nice blend of spiced rum, tobacco, a bit of leather. Also has a mysterious sweet note, maybe honey or vanilla. Check out the reviews to learn more.

Interesting question. I think that cumin as a fragrance note has a very primal, masculine quality. I suggest doing a search and seeing if anything looks familiar or available in your corner of the world.
    A cumin-focused scent that is powerful and yet beautiful is Geo. F. Trumper's Eucris. A suave powerhouse.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Okay, I'll say it-- Muscs Koublaï Khän! I second Bandit as well.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Michael Storer's Monk might be the kind of thing that would appeal to you.

Thank you for all recommendations! I'm getting really curious at Muscs Koublai Khan, if I dare to trye it . My next order from The Perfumed Court will definately contain Black Cashmere and Bulgari Black (which I've understood is a very nice scent from several swedish reviewers), Robert Piguet and L'Artisan are actually available in Stockholm, so I will trye Bandit and D'Zing next time I'm in town !

can you handle real dirty stuff...?
    if yes, then try Fumidus by Profumum. a 5 ml decant should last you a long time.

i second MKK & Dzing! too.

You would probably enjoy Opium by YSL, it is refined and long-lasting, but with a rough, provocative, alluring and powerhouse side.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 22nd February 2009 at 12:35 PM.