Code of Conduct

Default Would button down dress shirts be cooler than knit polo's?

My job requires me to wear a shirt with a collar. I've been wearing these knit polo shirts, but they can get rather hot. I'm looking for an alternative.

Default Re: Would button down dress shirts be cooler than knit polo's?

Try looking into linen, I think that has what you need.

I love a man in linen, I second that notion
    ~~~~~~~~Pulsing veins of green rushing nutrients through unfurling leaflets , dirty-faced little blooms poking their sleepy heads up through cold March dirt...the promising scent of unfallen rain hanging heavy in the dark cloud-ladden air...Oh the beauty of Spring here in the country!

Do you work in an air-conditioned environment ?

Linen shirts ? Sure, you'll be cool, but by the time you leave the house in the morning you'll need to iron it again. Ditto cotton, although some of the 'non-iron' cottons seem to be okay.

So, it's a cotton polyester blend business shirt you need. You don't need button-down collars. Long sleeves - don't dare buy a shirt with short sleeves.

Trust me, I work in a hot climate.

It is air-conditioned, but it is hardly noticeable. May as well turn it off. During the summer, it is blistering hot. It is in a supermarket actually.

Ah. No need for a tie ? In which case, button-down collars make sense.

Just to explain, if you want 'cool' you need natural fibres - that is, cotton, linen, or silk. Avoid the synthetic fabrics (rayon, nylon, acrylic, polyester).

Forget the cotton-poly business shirt, and go for something in "poplin" - which will probably be cotton, but a whole lot easier to iron.