Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: New Guerlain exclusive: Mon Précieux Nectar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Sounds lovely, like with all the typical Guerlain pastry features (cherry/almond heliotrope etc.)...
    I must say though, this doesn't smell like a classic Guerlain. It reminds me of something in the Elixir Charnels line - something about it...I can't put my finger on it. "New" fans of Guerlain's gourmand/orientals will love this one. And of course, it has Guerlinade, in spades. But classic? No way.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

How does this compare with, say, Dior Hypnotic Poison in terms of similarity and longevity?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

The Dior is a bit sweeter and it also has that unmistakeable 'root beer' smell. The Guerlain's almond sweetness is much more pastry-like (like so many other Guerlains) and essentially less woody than the Dior also. Both ride that fine line between sexy and edible/gourmand. The Dior smells more conservative and well...comforting, the Guerlain smells rich and luxurious.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I never smelled this one. Could a man pull this one off? Tonka Imperial is the most feminine i would go. Second question...Is Mon Precieux Nectar more feminine than TI?

This is a powerful gourmand. Please sample first. Only you can judge whether you can pull it off or not. IMO, what you are comfortable with is what you can pull off.

I happen to like this scent when I have a sweet tooth.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This is a powerful gourmand. Please sample first. Only you can judge whether you can pull it off or not. IMO, what you are comfortable with is what you can pull off.

I happen to like this scent when I have a sweet tooth.
    Thank you for your response. I love sweet fragrances done by Guerlain. Heck, I love everything done by Guerlain. I just don't think I could ever get to the point of wearing something as feminine as say Shalimar. For reference, what other fragrance compares to Mon Precieux Nectar? I am truly thinking about blind buying it. Even if I don't like it, at least I'll have it for the collection.

It is possibly the most intense rendition of the Guerlinade I have come across.

It has a bit of the nuttiness and body of vintage Apres l'Ondee, certainly a touch of Quand Vient la Pluie, and even 180 Ans - in other words the gourmand 'pastry shop' aspect of the Guerlinade - but probably the easiest or closest Guerlain to compare it to (in terms of most people knowing it) would be Tonka Imperiale. MPN certainly strikes me as sweeter, but I have only worn it three times, still getting to know it, and I'm beginning to see past that and enjoy where it goes once it has settled down. If TI is too much for you then you might find MPN a bit of a challenge, but honestly, when I see guys going on about how 'masculine' a vanilla bomb like Tobacco Vanille is I am at a loss to really offer much in the way of helpful advice over the whole 'fem vs. masc' issue. I plan to buy a bottle (not that that's any help), and it's certainly not a bad collectors item given the backstory and the fact that it's pretty much parfum strength etc. etc. Is it a good blind buy? Dunno. Are you feeling lucky

Basenotes Plus

Hmm, this thread makes me think I must give this a try next time I'm at Saks or the Guerlain Boutique.

Basenotes Institution

I think you would like it Palm Beach. It's very 'Wasser/Delacourte' in style...edible, slightly gourmand, almond, luxurious, a solid sweet presence. It smells very sexy on women, IMO. Although I wore it and didnt' feel like it was feminine at all.

I still remember meeting one of the Sales Directors from Guerlain (a very classy French woman) at Bergdorf Goodmans the very first time I ever went, in NY. She and I talked for almost 2 hours about Guerlain, I think she wanted to recruit me for a job with them. LOL. She asked me if I knew about Mon Precieux Nectar and I told her of course I did, she was shocked! She said 'You do know your Guerlain, don't you!' and smiled. Then she told me, very flirtatiously, that she was wearing it at that very moment so of course there I am in that tiny Guerlain corner, in Bergdorf's, leaning over and smelling this woman's neck. The SA's must have been giggling behind our backs...I'm sure we were getting stares. Everytime I see MPN I think of that fun afternoon.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th November 2012 at 09:14 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    It is possibly the most intense rendition of the Guerlinade I have come across.

It has a bit of the nuttiness and body of vintage Apres l'Ondee, certainly a touch of Quand Vient la Pluie, and even 180 Ans - in other words the gourmand 'pastry shop' aspect of the Guerlinade - but probably the easiest or closest Guerlain to compare it to (in terms of most people knowing it) would be Tonka Imperiale. MPN certainly strikes me as sweeter, but I have only worn it three times, still getting to know it, and I'm beginning to see past that and enjoy where it goes once it has settled down. If TI is too much for you then you might find MPN a bit of a challenge, but honestly, when I see guys going on about how 'masculine' a vanilla bomb like Tobacco Vanille is I am at a loss to really offer much in the way of helpful advice over the whole 'fem vs. masc' issue. I plan to buy a bottle (not that that's any help), and it's certainly not a bad collectors item given the backstory and the fact that it's pretty much parfum strength etc. etc. Is it a good blind buy? Dunno. Are you feeling lucky
    Thank you! I'm excited about trying this one now.
    Last edited by Jkidd; 21st November 2012 at 06:37 PM.

This sounds wonderful. And the bottle and the colour of the juice looks just as good. When I'm in NYC I will for sure try it and if its love at first sniff, he shall be the newest addition to the family! Glad that it was added to the regular lineup in the Parissienes collection, so much more affordable and much easier to obtain.