Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Finest Sandalwood fragrance out there?

I have been craving sandalwood for a while now and during the last few months have acquired/tested a few sandalwood scents that were accessible to me. Some of the ones that I have tried are:

Tam Dao: It is not truly a sandalwood fragrance as I find it more woody...perhaps its the cedar component in it that dominates. It lacks the aggression that I am looking for as it remains very close to the skin.

Etro Sandalo: Very bitter top notes but the dry down is somewhat similar to the creamy sandalwood in GFT Sandalwood cologne. I prefer GFT.

AOS Sandalwood: Almost grabbed a bottle, blind ofcourse when sanity prevailed and I got a decant instead. This stuff is horrible. I dont know why this scent has sandalwood even in its name.

Santal de Mysore: I grabbed a partial bell jar when I saw one on the sales board. I thought this was the ultimate sandalwood scent after reading a lot of reviews here. No its not disappointing but it starts of with this very spicy 'indian curry' note and then after about 3 hours goes on to show some very nice sandalwood. I like the end but not the journey to reach that end.

GFT Sandalwood Cologne: I love the creamy sandalwood in it. By far my favourite sandalwood. Gives me enormous longevity and good sillage.

Egoiste Concentree: Definitely something I like. The rosewood/sandalwood is much richer in this concentree version but it has a good amount of vanilla thrown in as well. So this is not really really a sandalwood fragrance.

MPG Santal Noble Vintage: I got a decant recently and I put it on when it was a bit warm. I didnt quite like it though I need to retest it in cooler weather. I think, I found it very dry.

MPG Parfum d'habit vintage: I love the pungent top notes and then the beautiful drydown. I just got a backup bottle of the vintage since I thought it was getting harder to find. The sandalwood drydown is amazing however I think it doesnt throw up a lot of sillage which is quite surprising, since I thought pungent scents usually had a lot of sillage.

The ones on my mind are Profumum Santalum & Molinard pour homme II. I just read Grant's post in one of the threads where he has compared Molinard pour homme II to MPG Parfum d'habit and thats reason enough for me to look out for this relatively unknown fragrance.

I could perhaps also try to look for some genuine Mysore Sandalwood oil but the problem is that there are so many sites selling it and all claim that their's is real, however I genuinely think its hard to know who's speaking the truth. Lets say at this point I should stick to sandalwood fragrances and once I've tried them all, I could graduate towards oils.

Please give your suggestions for 'hardcore' sandalwood fragrances that you think are definitely worth a try. Thanks for your help.
    What is out there that deserves attention?

Default Re: Finest Sandalwood fragrance out there?

Totally different from each other, but any sandalwood lover should try Chanel Bois des Iles and MPG Santal Noble. Not just sandalwood going on it, but also Hermès Bel Ami (preferrably vintage) is worth a mention.

AromiErotici

The 2 I like best are the Original MPG Santal Noble and Profumum Santalum. I give the edge to Santalum. Linear but awesome.

My vote goes to MPG Santal Noble

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Totally different from each other, but any sandalwood lover should try Chanel Bois des Iles and MPG Santal Noble. Not just sandalwood going on it, but also Hermès Bel Ami (preferrably vintage) is worth a mention.
    I am glad to say that I am indeed getting a vintage Hermes Bel Ami (thanks to a basenoter in the US who offered to buy it for me and ship it here)

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    The 2 I like best are the Original MPG Santal Noble and Profumum Santalum. I give the edge to Santalum. Linear but awesome.
    Sorry mate I forgot to put MPG Santal Noble in my original post...I already have a decant of it and I am yet to give it a full wearing.

I am surely going to get a decant of Profumum Santalum as soon as I see a source.

the sandal wood note that i could relate to is Villoresi Sandalo.

saying that, i havent tried a whole lot...the ones tht i have tried or own are Santal Noble(o), Tam Dao(s), Etro Sandalo(s) (even this is good...but too many other things goin on)

Profumum Santalum comes closest to emulating the real Santalum Album, IMO. It's tenacity is legendary! My second choice is Villoresi Sandalo, on me it smells very much like a pure luxurious sandalwood soap. I love it.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

AromiErotici

The Villoresi is one that I tried to like, but found I cannot stand it. Hate is a strong word, but what I feel for it is close to that. It is possible I got a bad batch, but it's unwearable for me.

I think you are on the same quest I am LOL

Lets see so far I have tried:

Santal Imperial - barely smell unless I spray 8-10 times
    Tam Dao - on the fence on this one
    Original Santal - do not really like but is interesting
    MPG Santal Nobel - Own 8 ml of thanks to jensen in a trade - I like but not sure if bottle worthy
    Villoresi Sandalo - I like but does not last on me
    Santal de Mysore - i really like - but still unsure if bottle worthy, lasts a long time on me

Only one I have not tried is Profumum Santalum

to be honest I still have not found my holy grail yet
    Last edited by denec; 6th February 2009 at 01:13 PM.

I haven't tried many but I thought

Etro Sandalo was excellent and a fine sandlewood and I thought Art of Shaving Sandlewood was excellent.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Those two I have not tried I will need to test those thanks for those suggestions as well

My vote goes to MPG Santal Noble with Villoresi's Sandalo coming in second. I haven't tried the Profumum version that some have given high praise.

Basenotes Institution

gupts - sandalwood threads have been written and discussed more here on BN than any other subject (well...maybe not more than Creed). There are TONS of threads where people are asking essentially the same question you are. Have you done an Advanced Search with the word 'sandalwood' on the thread title?

One that is quite prolific, is the one that Vibrant_Violet created back in 2005 (it's had 10,619 views!) here. As I said, there's tons more.

Coincidence: I myself have been on a sandalwood kick lately. This week I tested Casswel-Massey Sandalwood and I loved it (cheap too). I don't remember being blown away by Santal Noble by MPG which I sampled. I do, want to test the Art of Shaving Sandalwood, I tend to like woody/eucalyptus oriented scents. I also have not really given the Creed sandalwood scents (Original Santal and Santal Imperial) a full wearing - most of the guys here on BN love those. Oh...and I detest Santal Mysore by Serge Lutens. Not sure why, but it just smelled like cherry cough syrup to me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th February 2009 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I haven't tried many but I thought

[Art of Shaving Sandlewood[/B] was excellent.
    I thought so too, but did you get to the basenotes? It starts with a wonderful Sandlewood note and then it completely diappears, and I am left with a terrible mess and no sandlewood. It does have longevity though.

I would try and get ahold of some pure sandlewood oil. Just by itself it is beautiul, complex, and has great longevity. Be sure that you are getting mysore and not a diluted mix.
    Last edited by The Duke; 6th February 2009 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I thought so too, but did you get to the basenotes? It starts with a wonderful Sandlewood note and then it completely it completely diappears, and I am left with a terrible mess and no sandlewood. It does have longevity though.

I would try and get ahold of some pure sandlewood oil. Just by itself it is beautiul, complex, and has great longevity. Be sure that you are getting mysore and not a diluted mix.
    I didn't notice that as much and only got to experience it for a short time. What I did get out of AoS Sandlewood was great. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th February 2009 at 02:10 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Re: Finest Sandalwood fragrance out there?

Santal Noble...MPG
    Sandalo....Etro
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Blog Entries

Profvmum Santalum and Creed Bois de Santal are two that have "high quality" sandalwood
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

OM by Ajne is a very nice sandalwood fragrance. My favorite for sandalwood right now. Santal de Mysore was really nice when I tried it a few years back, but have not been able to find it on the market anywhere.

Santal Noble by MPG is very nice. Both the new formula and the old one are really good. The new one is lighter but very clean sandalwood and the old one has a dark coffee like note to it that is very wonderful. Try to find the old one if you can, but the new one is very good too.

Santalum by Profumum is a very nice fragrance from the sample. The myrrh note grounds the sandalwood in the base and gives it a deep dark feel that is almost hypnotic. But, beware that there may be a new formulation to this one that is considerably lighter and less . . . wonderful. Profumum has a history of changing great fragrances with new batches to entirely different formulas so you should ask your supplier if its the older darker gold batch and not the new light yellow stuff. Small perfumeries are subject to changes in their raw materials with new batches - a disadvantage of poor quality control in the smaller companies. A few years back Profumum ruined the original Thundra with a new formulation that took it from a sublime all time great unique patchouli fragrance to an ok, so, so fresh, light patch fragrance. Luckyscent was even compelled to notify buyers of the change it was so drastic. I got stuck in the switch with a new "light" batch bottle. Now I am hearing that Santalum has been changed as well so check it out.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 6th February 2009 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Santalum by Profumum is a very nice fragrance from the sample. The myrrh note grounds the sandalwood in the base and gives it a deep dark feel that is almost hypnotic. But, beware that there may be a new formulation to this one that is considerably lighter and less . . . wonderful. Profumum has a history of changing great fragrances with new batches to entirely different formulas so you should ask your supplier if its the older darker gold batch and not the new light yellow stuff. Small perfumeries are subject to changes in their raw materials with new batches - a disadvantage of poor quality control in the smaller companies. A few years back Profumum ruined the original Thundra with a new formulation that took it from a sublime all time great unique patchouli fragrance to an ok, so, so fresh, light patch fragrance. Luckyscent was even compelled to notify buyers of the change it was so drastic. I got stuck in the switch with a new "light" batch bottle. Now I am hearing that Santalum has been changed as well so check it out.
    awww...thats some scary info...i hope they do something about it. i guess im lucky to have the older batch.
    Last edited by jenson; 6th February 2009 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    OM by Ajne is a very nice sandalwood fragrance. My favorite for sandalwood right now. Santal de Mysore was really nice when I tried it a few years back, but have not been able to find it on the market anywhere.
    Ajne Om is an incredible sandalwood with a smoky edge. Easily the best natural perfume I have ever worn. Bergdorf Goodman might have Lutens Santal de Mysore in the limited edition 50 ml export version. Last I heard, BG has the exclusive.
    Last edited by Sloan; 6th February 2009 at 11:04 PM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Ajne Om is an incredible sandalwood with a smoky edge. Easily the best natural perfume I have ever worn. Bergdorf Goodman might have Lutens Santal de Mysore in the limited edition 50 ml export version. Last I heard, BG has the exclusive.
    Ajne OM sounds pretty interesting. How does it compare to Profumum Santalum? I ask since Santalum is my favorite so far.

I've tried many but the one I keep coming back to is Egoiste.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Chanel Bois des Iles extrait is my santal holy grail - if you can find it.
    Creed Bois de Santal is very good - also a pig to find.
    Trumpers Sandalwood - I think this is a brialliantly made scent. Quite complex though, lots of "building around" the santal.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Woody Sandalwood - The Body Shop is pretty nice stuff and cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I've tried many but the one I keep coming back to is Egoiste.

Regular egoiste? i did not think of that one

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Chanel Bois des Iles extrait is my santal holy grail - if you can find it.
    Creed Bois de Santal is very good - also a pig to find.
    Trumpers Sandalwood - I think this is a brialliantly made scent. Quite complex though, lots of "building around" the santal.
    I found Creed Bois De Santal at a neiman marcus I forgot where they wanted $300 for a 1.7 oz in a special limited edition travel atomizer I said forget it

Although its not a 'straight' sandalwood fragrance, Tiffany for Men has a fantastically rich sandalwood drydown.

There have indeed been quite a lot of threads about the best Sandalwood. I like:

o MPG Santal Noble
    o Tam Dao

The Perfume Critic once had a competition to pick the best Sandalwood, you may want to check that site out as well.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Very interesting that you post this, gupts, for just yesterday I was reading Vibrant Violet's classic "best sandalwood" thread (see link above). I had worn Floris Sandalwood just a day or two prior. Inspired, just this morning I dug through my collection and pulled to the fore the following for evaluation over the next week or two

Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo
    Floris Sandalwood
    Etro Sandalo
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood Cologne
    MPG Santal Noble
    Diptyque Tam Dao
    Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore
    10 Corso Como
    Attar Bazaar Mysore Sandal oil

There are many who feel that the Floris Sandalwood, regretfully discontinued, is the single finest sandalwood cologne of all time. I can find no reason in my recent wearing to dispute this. Today I am wearing LV's Sandalo, and while superb there is more going on than just sandalwood, unlike Floris. I will slowly make my way through all of these, and try to pay close attention to each. I don't think it fair to directly compare the Attar oil (or any other oil) to alcohol-based scents, so I'll not do that. Finally, thanks to many for other excellent recommendations, including some newer than those in Vibrant Violet's excellent review.

I'm going to wax all British here and praise both Trumpers and Crabtree & Evelyn for their sandalwoods.
    (Both Trumpers and C&E are certainly reasonably priced frags, too, which is more than I can say for many of the other options presented in this thread thus far.)

True Indian Mysore oil is coveted and expensive, but I hear that much of what is marketed as Mysore sandalwood oil is, in fact, fake. I dunno -- anyone out there care to weigh in on this one?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 6th February 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Bois des Îles is a great one

Samsara is another great choice, up to 30% sandalwood, along with jasmine and ylang, anchored by tonka bean and vanille, Smells great on men also. Try to find vintage, that way you can be sure sandalwood is true Mysore.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 6th February 2009 at 06:43 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    True Indian Mysore oil is coveted and expensive, but I hear that much of what is marketed as Mysore sandalwood oil is, in fact, fake. I dunno -- anyone out there care to weigh in on this one?
    Yes, it may be true, since Govt. has banned on cutting of any sandalwood tree in and around Mysore for a long time now. there was an era (decades) when there used to be lot of sandalwood poaching(run under dreaded bandit veerapan. he is said to have poached sandalwood of about 10,000 tonnes worth US$22,000,000).now it has been bought under control and the govt. is planning to restore it to past glory. i wouldnt be surpised if all these big houses got mysore sandalwood illegally
    Last edited by jenson; 6th February 2009 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Ajne OM sounds pretty interesting. How does it compare to Profumum Santalum? I ask since Santalum is my favorite so far.
    Om and Santalum both feature amazing uses of sandalwood. Om starts with a creamy wood smell, turns slightly smoky, then smoothes back into wood. It's like wearing sandalwood incense that smokes on the skin. It's an intriguing, meditative scent.

I have only worn the darker, amber colored Santalum. I don't know how it compares to the lighter version but the amber version is a rich, buttery smooth wood sweetened with myrrh and slightly warmed with cinnamon. I hear that the newer lighter version lacks the depth, warmth and richness of its amber ancestor but I can't confirm with experience.

Between the two, I prefer Om because it relaxes and grounds me. One of the few fragrances on the market that justifies its hefty price tag. It's also about 25-30% concentration for an EDP.

AromiErotici

Om and Santalum both feature amazing uses of sandalwood. Om starts with a creamy wood smell, turns slightly smoky, then smoothes back into wood. It's like wearing sandalwood incense that smokes on the skin. It's an intriguing, meditative scent.

I have only worn the darker, amber colored Santalum. I don't know how it compares to the lighter version but the amber version is a rich, buttery smooth wood sweetened with myrrh and slightly warmed with cinnamon. I hear that the newer lighter version lacks the depth, warmth and richness of its amber ancestor but I can't confirm with experience.

Between the two, I prefer Om because it relaxes and grounds me. One of the few fragrances on the market that justifies its hefty price tag. It's also about 25-30% concentration for an EDP.
    Couldn't ask for a better explanation. Thank you. I too have only worn the dark Santalum and know nothing of the lighter ( reformulated?) version. OM sounds like it has to be tried.

I think I will indulge myself soon.

Larrikin by Mount Romance and Paul Smith London are the two best sandalwood frags I've smelt so far; havent been able to try out the niche ones. Larrikin is similar to Egoiste but more masculine IMO.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Santal Noble I think is far too much oakmoss/dry patchouli/cedar/vetiver to really smell like Sandalwood.
    Profumum's is the one that if it weren't so expensive, be worth it. But in all actuality, the Sandalwood fragrance I turn to is a blend of Mysore and the Sweeter Australian oil. Just the 2 oils blended. Lasts and lasts. This as a body base under most of the green and citrus scents I wear.

Tried Santal Noble, smell myself like a carpenter right out of the work shop. It smells very natural, organic, and nice I guess, but a little too "realistic". I wouldn't be surprised if asked "How is your home improvement project going?"
    Last edited by abc1234; 7th February 2009 at 09:28 AM.

Can anyone tell me whether Profvumum contains genuine Mysore sandalwood?

I agree that Bois de Iles is magnificent, I only have a very small decant, but it's heavenly.
    Creed Bois de Santal and Villoresi sandalo are wonderful fragrances. If they do contain genuine East Indian sandalwood, then only in small concentrations, but they are excellent compositions.
    Santal Imperiale: used to be a very straightforward natural sandalwood, apparently, but is now very synthetic, as is Floris Sandalwood. The latter is austere, not bad, but it is nothing like the genuine oil.

Two companies where you can be sure to get genuine oil are Primavera and Farfalla. The prices are commensurate. Worth it, though, there is nothing like it. The true oil is marvelously rich and complex, yet without the pungency of synthetic isolates.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I forget who told me, but I heard that Creed Bois de Santal is made with synthetic sandalwood. Still, it gets my vote.

And I, too can barely smell Santal Imperial. I do like the colorful, funky Trumper's Sandalwood as well. AoS, not so much. Too sweet and bright.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I've read that much of the sandalwood used is Australian sandalwood, not as rich as the protected-Mysore variety.

Another good sandalwood not mentioned is Tricorn by Caswell & Massey. It's a unique take on sandalwood and it's fairly inexpensive. C&M also has a line of sandalwood bath products.

Also not mentioned is Santa Maria Novella Sandalo. I've never tried it, but if it's by SMN there's a 98% chance it's very good.

I wasn't impressed with MPG' Santal Noble or Lutens' Santal de Mysore- both seemed to be disguising the fact that there wasn't much sandalwood in the mix.
    The same goes for Chanel's Bois des Iles - just way too many aldehydes for me.
    For now I'm sticking with CM's Tricorn, a nice, synthetic, cheap thrill.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th February 2009 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post

AOS Sandalwood: Almost grabbed a bottle, blind ofcourse when sanity prevailed and I got a decant instead. This stuff is horrible. I dont know why this scent has sandalwood even in its name.
    This mystifies me.
    Yes it has some eucolyptus in the opening notes, but the rest is about as pure a sandalwood as you're ever likely to find.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Larrikin by Mount Romance and Paul Smith London are the two best sandalwood frags I've smelt so far; havent been able to try out the niche ones. Larrikin is similar to Egoiste but more masculine IMO.
    To me Larrikin is similar to Envy and ST Dupont Signature, but with more Australian sandalwood thrown in - and it's great value down here.
    Renato

My experience is that none of the big hitter sandalwood frags from Chanel, Creed, and others exhibit the luscious drydown of quality unadulterated Mysore oil (with the minor exception of Bois de Santal which somewhat tries to achieve it - I haven't tried Montales Private Collection Sandalwood). I believe its not an issue of the quantity of mysore oil used in the composition, but rather that other ingredients might overpower the mysore drydown. Consequently, the mysore drydown that we all so crave would only be perceptible when using pure mysore oil without any adulterants or competing ingredients. It would be helpful if any perfumers here can comment on this observation. I suspect a high quality sandalwood synthetic might need to be mixed in with the mysore oil component to make its distinct drydown more perceptible in a composition.
    -

I was too lazy to read the comments, but my favorite sandalwood is Tam Dao. Egoiste's sandalwood note is not bad, but not as sandalwoody as Tam Dao.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Hands down Santal by Fragonard

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Can anyone tell me whether Profvumum contains genuine Mysore sandalwood?
    I doubt it.

Also, the Profumum brings a strong dose of cinnamon which noones mentioned on this thread. One would have to like cinnamon in addition to sandalwood, to like Santalum. I do. But this thread is about the 'finest sandalwood' not about cinnamon...so I'm just sayin...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th February 2009 at 10:19 PM.

I have yet to smell an authentic sandalwood oil. Mysore Sandalwood had my curiosity as well so I ordered the smallest bottle possible of Mysore Sandalwood from profumo.it to have as a reference and hoping it would get me closer to the truth.

(http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=191)

I haven't worn it much yet but on my first spraying, I thought "this note is actually noticeable in one of my fragrances". At first I thought it might be, SL Santal de Mysore but on further reflection, it hit me that it was actually Diptyque's Tam Dao (bought in 2005). That actually surprised me! I'd agree that neither Santalum nor Santal Noble (both versions) seem to have this variety of sandalwood. And it could just be that SL Santal de Mysore does have some of the real thing - its just not anywhere near as prominent as that of Tam Dao IMO.

Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere, one that I enjoy from time to time, is suppose to have sandalwood bark. Definitely worth a sampling.

Just a reflection I had about SL Santal de Mysore (which seems to be one of those 'controversial scents'): like it or not, SdM seems, to my nose, to be a cousin of SL Bois Oriental - which, in turn, must have a close kinship to SL Bois de Violette & Feminite du Bois.

Dear Scentsual, had you told me you were a basenoter I would have added a little bit of the pure stuff for you to enjoy.
    Basenoters should always tell me when they order on profumo.it. They are entitled to have a special treatment from me.
    AbdesSalaam Attar

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    I have yet to smell an authentic sandalwood oil. Mysore Sandalwood had my curiosity as well so I ordered the smallest bottle possible of Mysore Sandalwood from profumo.it to have as a reference and hoping it would get me closer to the truth.

(http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=191)

I haven't worn it much yet but on my first spraying, I thought "this note is actually noticeable in one of my fragrances". At first I thought it might be, SL Santal de Mysore but on further reflection, it hit me that it was actually Diptyque's Tam Dao (bought in 2005). That actually surprised me! I'd agree that neither Santalum nor Santal Noble (both versions) seem to have this variety of sandalwood. And it could just be that SL Santal de Mysore does have some of the real thing - its just not anywhere near as prominent as that of Tam Dao IMO.

Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere, one that I enjoy from time to time, is suppose to have sandalwood bark. Definitely worth a sampling.

Just a reflection I had about SL Santal de Mysore (which seems to be one of those 'controversial scents'): like it or not, SdM seems, to my nose, to be a cousin of SL Bois Oriental - which, in turn, must have a close kinship to SL Bois de Violette & Feminite du Bois.

Bois des Iles for me.

I thought "this note is actually noticeable in one of my fragrances". At first I thought it might be, SL Santal de Mysore but on further reflection, it hit me that it was actually Diptyque's Tam Dao (bought in 2005). That actually surprised me! I'd agree that neither Santalum nor Santal Noble (both versions) seem to have this variety of sandalwood. And it could just be that SL Santal de Mysore does have some of the real thing - its just not anywhere near as prominent as that of Tam Dao IMO. Just a reflection I had about SL Santal de Mysore (which seems to be one of those 'controversial scents'): like it or not, SdM seems, to my nose, to be a cousin of SL Bois Oriental - which, in turn, must have a close kinship to SL Bois de Violette & Feminite du Bois.
    To me, Tam Dao and Feminite du Bois are cedar dominated scents. I don't get sandalwood from them. Santal de Mysore reminds me of Smasara, pour on the sugar!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    To me, Tam Dao and Feminite du Bois are cedar dominated scents. I don't get sandalwood from them. Santal de Mysore reminds me of Smasara, pour on the sugar!
    I also thought that Tam Dao was pretty much all about dry cedar. All I can say is that, to my nose, along with other stuff going on in TD, there seems to be a noticeable something in there that is near identical to what is center stage in profumo.it's Mysore Sandalwood. My hunch is that there is both sandalwood and cedar in TD. profumo.it's is 'softer' and more 'comfortable to the nose' albeit more linear - not a whole lot of progression in development as it is all about the sandalwood.

It would seem strange that Serge Lutens would name a fragrance "Santal de Mysore" without there being any of the real thing in its composition.

I shall have to give Samsara a try one of these days.
    Last edited by Delmar; 8th February 2009 at 06:18 PM.

By far the greatest sandalwood scent out there, in my opinion, is Green Irish Tweed...The Mysore Sandalwood really blends in well with the Ambergris for an unforgetable scent that stays with you for the entire day and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    gupts - sandalwood threads have been written and discussed more here on BN than any other subject (well...maybe not more than Creed). There are TONS of threads where people are asking essentially the same question you are. Have you done an Advanced Search with the word 'sandalwood' on the thread title?

One that is quite prolific, is the one that Vibrant_Violet created back in 2005 (it's had 10,619 views!) here. As I said, there's tons more.

Coincidence: I myself have been on a sandalwood kick lately. This week I tested Casswel-Massey Sandalwood and I loved it (cheap too). I don't remember being blown away by Santal Noble by MPG which I sampled. I do, want to test the Art of Shaving Sandalwood, I tend to like woody/eucalyptus oriented scents. I also have not really given the Creed sandalwood scents (Original Santal and Santal Imperial) a full wearing - most of the guys here on BN love those. Oh...and I detest Santal Mysore by Serge Lutens. Not sure why, but it just smelled like cherry cough syrup to me.
    Thank you Mike for digging that thread out for me....I've read the previous threads so many times and to be honest with you there were so many suggestions there that I really got lost keeping count on what to try and what to ignore...

However this time, I have put them in writing and am really going to go after each of the scents that I have shortlisted.

This looks promising to me as I feel that one needs to transgress into the 'oil' category perhaps to get the real feel of an aggressive Mysore Sandalwood scent.

I already had Profumum Santalum in my mind and will surely ad Ajne Om to that 'to be tried' list.

I also thought that Tam Dao was pretty much all about dry cedar. All I can say is that, to my nose, along with other stuff going on in TD, there seems to be a noticeable something in there that is near identical to what is center stage in profumo.it's Mysore Sandalwood. My hunch is that there is both sandalwood and cedar in TD. profumo.it's is 'softer' and more 'comfortable to the nose' albeit more linear - not a whole lot of progression in development as it is all about the sandalwood.

It would seem strange that Serge Lutens would name a fragrance "Santal de Mysore" without there being any of the real thing in its composition.

I shall have to give Samsara a try one of these days.
    I too found Tam Dao to be more woody (mostly cedar) than sandalwoody
    There are lots of amazing woody scents out there but I am really after sandalwood as of now.

Thank you for your suggestion of Profumo 'Mysore Sandalwood'. It looks good and I checked their website...The smallest size that they do is 16ml that costs about US$50....I am a bit reluctant to buy it in this size just to try it so I am not sure what to do to obtain a smaller sample....

I agree with the_good_life. If it's sandalwood you're after, consider buying pure oil from one of the two companies he mentioned.

Here's what I did to make my own 'real' Sandalwood perfume: I bought 10ml of Primavera oil, poured it into a 75 ml glass bottle and added 50 ml of perfumers alcohol. This I left sitting for a couple of weeks, just gave it a swirl a couple of times a day.

After that I started adding a little synthetic 'sandalwood', the one they sell at 'The Perfumers Apprentice'. You really have to be careful with this one, because it's unbelievable strong, so dilute first by adding a ml to 10ml of alcohol and start from there!

Then, still not completely satisfied I added about 3ml of 'Mitti'. This is an Indian attar made from baked earth and sandalwood. They sell a very good one over at the 'White Lotus Aromatics' website. Then I added some more alcohol to fill the bottle.

The end result is a sandalwood that's both deep and uplifting and lasts and lasts and lasts... It goes well beyond 24 hours.

As for perfumes; you probably get a tiny bit of the real stuff (if you're lucky!) with mostly synthetics. Not to mention a lot of other notes that you may or may not like.
    Even worse, IMO, is the probability of getting another variety of sandalwood altogether, which doesn't smell like Mysore at all! There's one that literally turns my stomach... I believe it's in the MPG (not 100% sure tho, could be another big name too).
    Last edited by Domingo; 9th February 2009 at 08:20 AM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Two companies where you can be sure to get genuine oil are Primavera and Farfalla. The prices are commensurate. Worth it, though, there is nothing like it. The true oil is marvelously rich and complex, yet without the pungency of synthetic isolates.

I found Primavera being sold on amazon for US$63 plus shipping but they won't ship to Australia...Is there any other place where it can be bought?
    I can't seem to find any source of Farfalla sandalwood oil...All I could find was Farfalla sandalwood balm and other body products....Where can this be bought?
    I also read in one of the previous threads about a member suggesting to buy mysore essential oil from here http://www.purepro.com/553
    Has anyone else bought this and has an opinion on it?
    A few recommendations have also been made to buy from http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=191
    Scentemental (in one of his earliest posts on sandalwood) mentioned Tisserand Sandalwood Wild Crafted Essential Oil 2ml to be of exceptional quality.
    I found this available on amazon.co.uk for US$21.50 for 2ml. Sadly there is no mention of this except in this single post. Any info on this would be great.

Now we've got 5 suggestions right here.....

Primavera has most good reviews and perhaps is the most expensive too...
    Farfalla has very little information available plus I dont even know where to source it
    Purepro was recommended by a lone member(now banned). I think we need some more reviews on it before buying from here.
    Profumo also has lots of good reviews. It's far cheaper than Primavera.
    Tisserand has only been recommended once by scentemental and that too in one of his earliest posts in 2005. It costs around US$11 per ml.

So the choice looks b/w Primavera & Profumo for now (unless I can find a source for Farfella).....

What do you guys think?

So

White Lotus Aromatics probably sells pure sandalwood too. You can check their website for prices or write/give them a call. Very friendly folks and their stuff is 100% genuine.

I found Primavera being sold on amazon for US$63 plus shipping
    For 5ml? If so, that's way overpriced! Pay no more than $35-40 for 5ml else you are being ripped off!

So the choice looks b/w Primavera & Profumo for now
    But is what Profumu sells the undiluted oil or an alcohol based perfume? Big difference... Not saying it's not good, because I wouldn't know, since I never tried it. It's just something to take into consideration when you compare prices.

Along all the masterpieces mentioned here, I would add two Sandalwood scents which may seem atrociously low-cost and informal, almost downright mass- market, but who just happen to smell great on my skin:

The 1970 and the 2006 Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    This mystifies me.
    Yes it has some eucolyptus in the opening notes, but the rest is about as pure a sandalwood as you're ever likely to find.
    Renato
    Renato.....The piney / eucalyptus notes dominate on the sandalwood throughout the fragrance.....I don't like the pungency coming from them....Perhaps I will wear it again one day to look for some clean sandalwood drydown, if it exists.