Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Finest Sandalwood fragrance out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    For 5ml Primavera? If so, that's way overpriced! Pay no more than $35-40 for 5ml else you are being ripped off!

But is what Profumu sells the undiluted oil or an alcohol based perfume? Big difference... Not saying it's not good, because I wouldn't know, since I never tried it. It's just something to take into consideration when you compare prices.

Mate..it would be great if you could guide me to a cheaper source for Primavera.

As for Profumo, I did request the concerned member if a smaller 2-3ml sample could be made available, however at this time he said there isn't any. He did mention that it would be available from the Perfumed Court shortly....A kind basenoter has pm'ed me and has generously offered me a little sample of Profumo...

I know Profumo sandalwood has an alcohol base but I am a newbie at this 'oil' thing so I can't tell how to compare Primavera with Profumo...However you are right in highlighting that Primavera is an oil where Profumo is diluted....so can't compare the two really....

Basenotes Institution

I personally did not realize that Bois de Iles by Chanel was such a sandalwood favorite by so many of you guys - until I really read the responses on this thread. I've had two samples that I got, mostly based upon the fact that it supposedly smells like 'gingerbread' and I love that smell so I sought out samples.

This is the EdT - not the parfum.

I wore it last night to bed, and yes I can totally 'get' the sandalwood now. How did I miss that!? But it's resting underneath a dizzying, powdery aldehyde. It doesn't ruin the scent, per se. But it's a little annoying. The sandalwood note in BdI is so refined and wonderful, but then the aldehyde note would fill my nose and sharpen it irritatingly.

Now I want to smell the parfum. Ack! I don't even want to know how expensive that's gonna be.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th February 2009 at 02:16 AM.

I totally forgot to mention profumo.it in my post. He is a reliable seller, I have a bit of his mysore from a fellow BNer.
    I do not know whether Farfalla is avilable or ships to Australia but here is their website. Their vintage aftershave balm contained real sandalwood I still have some and its utterly wonderful. The new version is just OK and works with natural alternatives and much lower amounts of sandalwood probably of differnet provenance.

Farfalla has South Korean and Japanese distributors maybe you can purchase through them?
    http://www.farfalla.ch/4dcgi/ProdDet...1818330139942?
    http://www.farfalla-essentials.com/i...tributors.html

German Primavera prices:
    http://www.kauflux.de/?id=FROOGLE&_artnr=5136023
    Currently wearing: Mellis by Annette Neuffer

Basenotes Institution

I'm wearing Woody Sandalwood by The Body Shop and Santalum by Profumum today and WOW what a difference in the way that they evolve.

The WS is very old, almost more than 10 years old. It's aged nicely, it's super dark brown in color and goes on thick and oily. Almost varnish like in it's top notes. Almost within the next 30 minutes it really retreats, softens up diffuses very lightly. Very close to the skin.

Whereas the Profumum instantly, upon application, has a warm and spicy softness to it. As if it's been baked alongside a sweet spicy pastry. The myrrh and cinnamon are evident almost immediately and sort of fade and intertwine with the sandalwood extremely slowly throughout the evolution of the scent. Smelling it almost 3 hours after it's been applied, it has that varnish like smell that the WS had at first.

Of course, I doube either one of these has Mysore sandalwood. But the Profumum is so much more richer, complex and instantly satisfying.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Any opinions on L'Artisan Parfumeur's Santal? Not many reviews in BN.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

nothing beats 33

Really hard to beat Chanel Bois des Iles perfume. It smells gentle like real sandalwood and also has a slight musky organic indole tone that you often find around very old sandalwood trees harvested from an old growth setting, which you don't really find anymore.

Tam Dao is excellent too.

For sandalwood as part of a wood composition I like TDC Santo Incienso although it is not sandalwood centric.
    favorites: santo incienso • azemour les oranger • eau de neroli dore • cedro di taormina • uae oud • byredo rodeo • le sillage blanc • piccadilly '69 • byredo la botte • monsieur houbigant musk • bibliothetique • sammarco bond-t • dusita Issara •

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    nothing beats 33
    Agree, as it works marvelously with my skin chemistry, 3 sprays and it's bombastic on me all day!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Ormonde Jayne Black Gold

Wow, re-reading this thread has been a joy. Thanks for bumping.

And +1 Bois des Iles and MPG Santal Noble. Would love to have smaller the vintage Santalum. The old Floris Sandalwood was pretty great, but almost completely extinct now.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Samsara.
    Currently wearing: KL Homme by Lagerfeld

Basenotes Junkie crashtestbrummie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Vintage Samsara.
    Let the florals die down and then add a bit of Egoiste and sit back and smile...

By Kilian Sacred Wood is a pretty "clean" sandalwood fragrance, there isn't much going on other than sandalwood...

I've never smelled the real thing, but the scent I closest associate with sandalwood are The Body Shop's Sandalwood oil over 15 years ago. I still remember how creamy and rich it smelled. Another fragrance is Samsara, vintage is said to contain copious amounts of the real thing, but the current version isn't bad either. And Chanel's Bois des Iles extrait, which is lovely, but seems to be a tad on the harsher side until well into the dry down.

Truth to be told, with real sandalwood being one of the most expensive woods in the world, I'm willing to bet that 99% of what we perceive as sandalwood in a fragrance are simply well blended aromachemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    Let the florals die down and then add a bit of Egoiste and sit back and smile...
    Egoiste!!
    Better than anything Le Labo could come up with in the next 250 years in my opinion...
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Basenotes Junkie Man Of The World's Avatar
    Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I have been craving sandalwood for a while now and during the last few months have acquired/tested a few sandalwood scents that were accessible to me. Some of the ones that I have tried are:

Tam Dao: It is not truly a sandalwood fragrance as I find it more woody...perhaps its the cedar component in it that dominates. It lacks the aggression that I am looking for as it remains very close to the skin.

Etro Sandalo: Very bitter top notes but the dry down is somewhat similar to the creamy sandalwood in GFT Sandalwood cologne. I prefer GFT.

AOS Sandalwood: Almost grabbed a bottle, blind ofcourse when sanity prevailed and I got a decant instead. This stuff is horrible. I dont know why this scent has sandalwood even in its name.

Santal de Mysore: I grabbed a partial bell jar when I saw one on the sales board. I thought this was the ultimate sandalwood scent after reading a lot of reviews here. No its not disappointing but it starts of with this very spicy 'indian curry' note and then after about 3 hours goes on to show some very nice sandalwood. I like the end but not the journey to reach that end.

GFT Sandalwood Cologne: I love the creamy sandalwood in it. By far my favourite sandalwood. Gives me enormous longevity and good sillage.

Egoiste Concentree: Definitely something I like. The rosewood/sandalwood is much richer in this concentree version but it has a good amount of vanilla thrown in as well. So this is not really really a sandalwood fragrance.

MPG Santal Noble Vintage: I got a decant recently and I put it on when it was a bit warm. I didnt quite like it though I need to retest it in cooler weather. I think, I found it very dry.

MPG Parfum d'habit vintage: I love the pungent top notes and then the beautiful drydown. I just got a backup bottle of the vintage since I thought it was getting harder to find. The sandalwood drydown is amazing however I think it doesnt throw up a lot of sillage which is quite surprising, since I thought pungent scents usually had a lot of sillage.

The ones on my mind are Profumum Santalum & Molinard pour homme II. I just read Grant's post in one of the threads where he has compared Molinard pour homme II to MPG Parfum d'habit and thats reason enough for me to look out for this relatively unknown fragrance.

I could perhaps also try to look for some genuine Mysore Sandalwood oil but the problem is that there are so many sites selling it and all claim that their's is real, however I genuinely think its hard to know who's speaking the truth. Lets say at this point I should stick to sandalwood fragrances and once I've tried them all, I could graduate towards oils.

Please give your suggestions for 'hardcore' sandalwood fragrances that you think are definitely worth a try. Thanks for your help.
    What is out there that deserves attention?
    Can I ask if you tried the edt or edp with Tam Dao?? They are very different. With the edt you get mainly cedar. If its sandalwood you are after you really need the edp.
    Current Top 10

Amouage - Reflection Man
    Dior - Homme Intense
    Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    Armaf - Club De Nuit Intense
    Valentino - Uomo Intense
    Prada - L'Homme
    Creed - Royal Mayfair
    Carolina Herrera - CH Men Prive
    Aramis - Havana
    Penhaligons - Sartorial

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    Can I ask if you tried the edt or edp with Tam Dao?? They are very different. With the edt you get mainly cedar. If its sandalwood you are after you really need the edp.
    The thread is eight years old. It's sometimes nice to see older discussions bumped, but most of the original participants have moved on. The OP himself hasn't been seen for a year and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Vintage Samsara.
    Yes.

Basenotes Junkie Man Of The World's Avatar
    Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    The thread is eight years old. It's sometimes nice to see older discussions bumped, but most of the original participants have moved on. The OP himself hasn't been seen for a year and a half.
    Yep....I see that now!! There was no EDP!!
    Current Top 10

Amouage - Reflection Man
    Dior - Homme Intense
    Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    Armaf - Club De Nuit Intense
    Valentino - Uomo Intense
    Prada - L'Homme
    Creed - Royal Mayfair
    Carolina Herrera - CH Men Prive
    Aramis - Havana
    Penhaligons - Sartorial

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    This mystifies me.
    Yes it has some eucolyptus in the opening notes, but the rest is about as pure a sandalwood as you're ever likely to find.
    Renato
    I agree 100%. This fragrance gets a bad rap as representation of Sandalwood. I actually love the blast of Eucalyptus at the top. I will always have a bottle.

There are soooo many threads on this subject [emoji28].

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Yes, am sure Gupts found a few he needed already...

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Any opinions on L'Artisan Parfumeur's Santal? Not many reviews in BN.
    Answer might be sorta useless after all these years ... Santal is unfindable now ... but I still have a half-full early bottle of it, which I'm treasuring.
    It's sublime, purist stuff, citric and a truly fine, dreamy sandalwood note that transports to far away lands whenever I'm wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Ormonde Jayne Black Gold
    This is the best sandalwood in my collection. It has real mysore sandalwood oil. That's why the price is a bit steep. But totally worth it

Santal de Molinard
    Chanel Bois de Iles vintage
    Floris Sandalwood
    Roger & Gallet Santal
    Hermes Bel Ami vintage

Ormonde Jayne Black Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by bewithme View Post
    This is the best sandalwood in my collection. It has real mysore sandalwood oil. That's why the price is a bit steep. But totally worth it
    True enough. Don't forget another relatively modern scent alleged to contain true Mysore sandalwood: Neela Vermeire Trayee.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Ormonde Jayne Black Gold
    i absolutely love this one.

Honorable mention to Xerjoff's richwood too.
    Currently wearing: Lilac by Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

Lots of good suggestions in this thread!

I haven't tried many sandalwood-dominant fragrances, but of the ones I have sampled, Tam Dao EDP and Lorenzo Villoresi Sandolo are nice

Anyone here ever try Proraso's Red aftershave splash?

Anyone know of an an EdT or EdP that smells similar? It is a damn nice scent.
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

What I'm wearing:

1. Lagerfeld Cologne (vintage)
    2. Annick Goutal Sables
    3. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    4. Balenciaga Le Dix
    5. Parfums MDCI Invasion Barbare
    6. Chanel Egoiste (vintage)
    Currently wearing: Le Dix by Balenciaga