Code of Conduct

Default No Gift With Purchase For You: Estee Lauder to cut 2,000 jobs

Who said fragrance was recession-proof? Certainly not The Estee Lauder Companies.

In their latest earnings release, despite the company beating analyst profit expectations, the inventor of the Gift With Purchase and maker of many of our favorite fragrance brands reported a 6% decline in global sales due to a strong US dollar. Lauder is also going to cut 2,000 jobs and "reduce the number of SKUs" (I wonder if this means that they will cut some of the products like Aramis 900, Devin, and others, much to the regret of Basenoters?). However, R&D will be increased, so we might see some new fragrances come out of the pipeline.

But now, the bad news for us stink water lovers: Despite the launches of Sean John I Am King, Estee Lauder Sensuous, and Hilfiger (with the latter two being somewhat successful), fragrance took the hardest hit by far due to massive economic and competitive pressures (read: everyone else from BPI to P&G was outspending and, in many cases, outselling Lauder). You know it's bad when D&G Light Blue, women's or men's, outsells Beautiful after two decades as sales champ.

I'm sure the screaming and screeching at 767 Fifth Avenue (Lauder's HQ) will be heard all the way down to the Apple Store in the basement of the same building...
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: No Gift With Purchase For You: Estee Lauder to cut 2,000 jobs

Yep, noone seems unaffected by the ecomonic woe. I'm sad for everyone who's lost their job.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I don't see it being mentioned anywhere else but from reading one of the articles on the splash intro page it looks as if Fendi is done as far as scents go. I don't know about anyone else, but I'll miss their house.

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    I don't see it being mentioned anywhere else but from reading one of the articles on the splash intro page it looks as if Fendi is done as far as scents go. I don't know about anyone else, but I'll miss their house.
    Grant posted about the discontinuation of Fendi Fragrances on the Female Fragrance Board. It's also posted on the main page. Sad. http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223208

About the loss of jobs at Estee Lauder, I'm sorry to hear it but not even surprised anymore. Every day now we hear this kind of thing.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 11th February 2009 at 02:13 PM.

SAD, I read that Arden was making cuts too, along with the 500 Loreal already made.