Code of Conduct

Default New York Maple Syrup Smell Mystery SOLVED! (it's fenugreek!!)

Not sure where (if anywhere) this goes, but this is as good a place as any. It certainly is interesting.

From Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090206/...newyork_odor):

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A mysterious, maple syrup-like odour that has periodically wafted over New York City since October 2005 has been linked to New Jersey fragrance processing plants, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on Thursday.

Fragrance and food additive factories in nearby New Jersey where fenugreek seeds are processed are the "probable source" of the odour, Bloomberg told a news conference at City Hall.

The odour has attracted media attention and hundreds of complaints from city residents.

"Given the evidence, I think it's safe to say that the 'Great Maple Syrup Mystery' has finally been solved," Bloomberg said.

The city had assured residents that the odour was not harmful, but it was not able to explain its source until now.

The mystery was solved after city agencies matched complaints by their geographic location against information about winds and atmospheric conditions.

"The health department confirmed that the odour does not pose a health risk, but I am pleased to know that our ... smelling sleuths got to the bottom of this mystery," Bloomberg said.

And to think that I thought it was Sables! HAHAHAHAHA

Default Re: New York Maple Syrup Smell Mystery SOLVED! (it's fenugreek!!)

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen View Post
    Excellent information. Thanks!

Fenugreek DOES smell like maple syrup. I took it after having babies to increase milk production (TMI?) and the capsules had this sweet slightly maple or even amber scent. Not unpleasant at all!

Supposedly Bond No. 9 make their scents in NJ. I wonder.......

The neighborhood of Tribeca in new york used to smell strongly of pepper, clove and mace, I think, or some similar spice, for blocks and blocks. It was an evocative, local thing that was finally wiped out around ten to fifteen years ago when the old spice warehouses were converted to luxury Mc-condos. This recent wafting maple syrup smell wasn't inherently unpleasant, but people I know did get pretty freaked out -- it's hard not to, post 9/11.

It's nice to see this subject getting the proper attention it deserves!

There was a huge Stella D'Oro Italian Bakery alongside the parkway in NYC that created the greatest fresh bread odors for many years. Does anyone know if it is still there?

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

BTW, I love the way fenugreek smells, so the question would be if there is any fenugreek-like smelling perfume. Sables has been mentioned, but since it is impossible to be found here, are there any other one in mind?