Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Exclamation All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, February 7, 2009 ★★★ ANIMALIC

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Orientals Feb. 2007~Animalics March 2007~Chypres April 2007~ Florals May 2007~Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Orientals Feb. 2008~Animalics March 2008~Chypres April 2008~Floral May 2008~Fruity June 2008~Citrus July 2008~Green Aug. 2008~Fresh/Aquatic Sept. 2008~Opposite Gender or Fougere Oct. 2008 ~ Amber Nov. 2008 ~ Spicy Dec. 2008 ~ Gourmand Jan. 2009 ~ Oriental

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, February 7, 2009 ★★★ ANIMALIC

Yay! I was wondering when a post would be made about tomorrow's SnS. I'm very excited about this family because I am unfamiliar with it and have not yet 'found the love.'
    I'm tempted to wear my new Reve en Cuir which everyone is eventually (already?) going to tire of me going on and on about.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, February 7, 2009 ★★★ ANIMALIC

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Yay! I was wondering when a post would be made about tomorrow's SnS. I'm very excited about this family because I am unfamiliar with it and have not yet 'found the love.'
    I'm tempted to wear my new Reve en Cuir which everyone is eventually (already?) going to tire of me going on and on about.
    hey lizzie_j, unfortunately my package will not get to you in time for tomorrow... i've included some samples in there of this family. Looking forward to hear your impressions of Reve en Cuir, though.

I don't have enough skin space to fully explore this fine family.
    Tomorrow I'll be a stinkin' mess, I think.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I used up my sample of Jicky... will have a look through my samples and see what I'm giving a trial run for this tomorrow

Oooh! I might go for Y, though I've never classified it as animalic in my head, I believe it is...

Morning! Lucky I caught this thread before picking a scent. Today I'm in Paloma Picasso. Yummy.

Just checking, as I am not as notes-savvy as many of you -- if I wear something musky, even synthetic musky, that will count???

Blog Entries

Always looking for an excuse to wear my Kouros!

Apart from that, I have my Antonio Banderas Spirit, and a new musk scent from Asha. This is going to be a tough call. Nyyyyaaaah. No, it's not. Any excuse to wear the king!

OOOOH !
    I got LOTS !!!!
    Which one, me hearties ?

Hopefully, the SKANKIEST of the lot-
    All my men are out of the house, LOL...

I'm really looking forward to the reports about this one, dear women. Please spray liberally and tell all!

Tomorrows agenda won't quite allow for skank.

Brunch with relatives, a funeral then a plane trip. I may start out scentless but when I finally make it home late at night I'll see if I can make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingleaves View Post
    Tomorrows agenda won't quite allow for skank. ...
    Me too, whisperingleaves! I'm helping with our local academic decathlon tomorrow. Don't want to distract the high school boys, LOL. But I think I have a plan for later in the day...

Basenotes Institution

Good idea Redneck...I was wondering what I was gonna choose and now reading your post I realize that I haven't given my Kouros vintage mini a full wearing.

I might even do a side-by-side with Orange Spice by Creed - to see if I can perceive any of the differences.

Fun!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th February 2009 at 03:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Good idea Redneck...I was wondering what I was gonna choose and now reading your post I realize that I haven't given my Kouros vintage mini a full wearing.

I might even do a side-by-side with Orange Spice by Creed - to see if I can perceive any of the differences.

Fun!
    Watch out ladies - the stray cats are gonna be in the neighborhood, and your curtains ain't safe!

WREEEER! HISSSS!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Watch out ladies - the stray cats are gonna be in the neighborhood, and your curtains ain't safe!

WREEEER! HISSSS!
    You boys are simply frightening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    You boys are simply frightening.
    lmao!

In preparation for tomorrow's SnS, I broke out the samples I've been hoarding, and am testing 6 of the 10 possible choices I'm considering (yes, both arms are covered!):

Tabac Blond Edt (I feel a de*cant coming on...)
    Knize Ten (thanks TwoRoads!)
    Bandit (can you believe I swapped my bottle years ago. What was I thinking?)
    Dzing! (may be on my wishlist--a seriously happy-making fragrance)
    Cuir Mauresque (a thumbs up from DH)
    MKK

Also considering:
    Daim Blond
    Vintage Jolie Madame
    Jicky
    Cuir de Russie

I have questions on a couple of others; do these count?
    Habanita
    Fumerie Turque
    vintage Mitsouko parfum (isn't there civet in the vintage?)

Lushsoup--civet and/or musk are in many, many fragrances since they are such great fixatives. I suppose you could just as easily wear vintage Shalimar extrait--it is laden in castoreum, civet and musk.

I think the spirit of SnS would be to pick a fragrance which has the primary theme of an animalic, although I am sure each person will pick what they think the theme means

I'm tempted to stay in my comfort zone with Daim Blond, which I see mentioned in last year's animalic SnS, but I will try to push myself for something more challenging. This is unfamiliar territory for me, too!

For me- Tabac Blond,Knize , etc.- Are safe to WEAR in PUBLIC...
    Dare I go for SMN's Peau D'Espagne ?
    Scary honk !
    What sayest thou, my hearties ?

Go crazy chaya, all my smellies are packed away so you need to be double trouble for me
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

You GOTS it, Lian, gelieverd !

That pic Mikey put up, might be reacting to my REBELLIOUS decision to wear SMN Peau D'Espagne-
    Courtesy of Terry baby-
    It has to be a frag that makes Knize hide in the corner and cower, LOL.
    Real whip-cracking, sadistic barnyard PONG.

I just shooed them all out of the house-
    So, I'm goin' to TOWN !

CLEAR the path, and EAT my dust......

For me, it's the amazing civet-laden Ungaro Pour LHomme II.

Top notes: Basil oil, Bergamot oil, Coriander, Lavender, Lemon, Neroli, Orange
    Middle notes: Carnation, Geranium, Ginger, Jasmin, Orris, Pepper, Rose
    Base notes: Ambrein, Benzoin, Cedar, Civet, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandal, Tonka, Vanilla
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Friends with hidden treasures......I love them Here is my trophy for today

First one little spray....ah, yummie....let's make that two sprays and set the neighborhood on fire

Now, did I hear someone say 'cat pee'???? If so, I *want* that cat!

Watch out, stray cats.....here comes a huge wild animal, sniffing in delight at her paws.

::friend can forget to ever see this bottle again. *mine, all mine* ::
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

TOTALLY forgot.
    But that's OK...I'ze on track anyway in a sample of HIndu Kush (Profumo) from a sample from the divine Quarry.
    Ginger'n'pepper and (gasp) cumin. May have to avail myself of some of this - it's unique to my nose and bod.

Later: Oooops. NOT spices.....scampers to etagere....how 'bout Coco?
    Last edited by TaoLady; 7th February 2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: I'm in the wrong month. Is there any help for me?
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Bal a versailles or Tabac blond (I have to confess i didn't know it was animalic--I dont' get the blast of civet I associate with those) .....hmmm....maybe have to wear one on each arm!

I love animalics--though I need help identifying

I'll watch the thread for more suggestions!

Meow. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 7th February 2009 at 01:28 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Agatha Brown Imperial Jade Emperor from a sample long ago stashed and just found.

The animalic part is in the drydown, from musk, but the journey itself is the destination!
    Last edited by kbe; 7th February 2009 at 03:45 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I see Mikeperez decided on Rasa Extreme!

I'm starting my day in the regular version of Rasa.

Who else thinks that lushsoup wearing TwoRoads' Knize Ten sample means they're Perfume Married Forever? PMF. Where you kids registered?

Talking Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, February 7, 2009 ★★★ ANIMALIC

I'm seconding that thought as the tears are rolling down my cheeks from laughing. A great way to wake up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    lmao!

I'm giving in and wearing Reve En Cuir. I have already reviewd this so it's not very adventurous of me. My SotA will be Paloma Picasso, and my SotE will be Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Scandal type, which is just the most wonderful kick ass skank in a bottle, only to be used by those in the sex industry or BNers.

Jicky
    Created in 1889 by Aim Guerlain

Top Notes - Lemon, Mandarin, Bergamot, Rosewood
    Middle Notes - Orris, Jasmin, Patchouli, Rose, Vetiver
    Base Notes - Leather, Amber, Civet, Tonka, Incense, Benzoin

Im wearing Jicky parfum from a very generous decant that the lovely Whisperingleaves sent me a while back. I actually love Jicky best in edt because it is lighter and airier, and I generally prefer lighter formulations anyway, but especially in Guerlains. Jicky parfum is quite civety (perfect for our SnS today) and densely rich, truly lovely, yet I don't find it overpowering. I fully intend to own a bottle of Jicky one day (even though Basenoters keep me stocked with samples!). If I had a wardrobe of six full bottles, Jicky would be one of them. It is the classiest, yet most easily wearable and friendly, of any animalic fragrance Ive ever tried. The nursery-sweet cake comfort of the lemon and vanilla is provided an adult, sexy edge by the animalic base. It is a perfect composition, and it's astonishing that we are still wearing it today, despite reformulations over the years.

Basenotes Plus

Hey Chaya, go full-tilt or don't go at all, I say! Hope you're enjoying, dear.

Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles for me. A bitchslap o'stank first, an outstanding nag champa incense note next, both soon joined by soft, sweet flowers and spice to temper and balance. Glorious! Sexy, womanly, and warm.

ETA: Coming back to add a word about the excellent longevity on this one - I applied first thing in the morning and it lingered well into the late evening. I could even catch a faint whiff or two this morning. Just a stunning, baroque composition, with an especially beautiful drydown.
    Last edited by tdem1961; 8th February 2009 at 12:18 PM.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Okay, I'm piggybacking with Bal a Versailles -- really like the complicated, mid-century vibe on this. And by the time family gets home from basketball I'll be smelling like mom and not animal husbandry.

Yes, I went for Y by YSL. I'm deliberately trying NOT to deconstruct this scent because I love it in its own form, as a unique entity. It really is unique and it may be the most refined fragrance I own. It stays close to the skin and doesn't seem to shout or annoy.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Ahh, Mikey--having a happy snicker on account of that savage kitty.

I've got some delirious leather on right now--SL Cuir Mauresque. I think dimples sent me the leather collection that occupies a special place in my sampler tray. If I stepped into an elevator and smelled this on a stranger, I'd instantly regard them in the highest and probably touch them as I expressed my appreciation for their fine, sophisticated taste.

After a shower I'm reaching for some VIP Room unless my hand suddenly veers toward the Jicky. VIPR (oooh, just figured out the initials spell "viper") notes: tiare flower, bergamot, tangerine, pineapple, sandalwood, vetiver, birch, iris root, leather, styrax, amber, vanilla, and musk.

VIP Room = Cuir Mauresque minus the smoke
    VIP Room = Dzing! minus the cardboard
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Dzing! by L'Artisan.
    I LOVE this! It's like Bulgari Black with horse stable and sawdust.
    It's not something for every occasion, of course, but oh so enjoyable and strangely comforting.
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 7th February 2009 at 05:27 PM.

To start the day I'm in Ajmal's Musk Ghazelle. Dimitri did a great piece on his blog about this perfume oil! Much better than I could. Needless to say it is a very animalic musky scent and fits this SnS just right.

2nd SotD is Bal a Versailles edc. I just love this stuff.

Basenotes Institution

Glad to see you gals/guys got a kick out of that cat picture. I was giggling the entire time I posted it. I't's still making me smile as I glance at it. Hee hee...

I decided to wait until tonite to wear the Kouros and this morning to start off with my FAVORITE animalic scent:

Eau de Hermes by Hermes

Bront82 (who doesn't post here on Basenotes anymore) made me a large decant of this last year and I treasure it. I think he bought himself one of those huge bottles that Hermes makes some of their scents in, and he had a lot to share.

His take on the scent was that Eau de Hermes allowed him to smell 'manly'. He told me that he had a friend, a man of Middle-Eastern descent, who's natural smell was so sexy smelling. The guy would not wear scents but whenever bront82 met him and smelled him, the guy's natural smell was sweet, partly sweaty and very cumin/animalic smelling. He said that wearing EdH gave him the ability to smell like that guy for a couple of hours. I always remember that story when I wear EdH.

I'd personally love to encounter another guy wearing EdH (my husband doesn't like it). It does smell sexy.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th February 2009 at 06:44 PM.

I am going to wear Dzing! and then later, some Amouage Gold! So I will be leathery and musky -- a real scent treat for all of my non-perfume wearing friends. . . .

summer means fireflys

For today's SnS I'm wearing Muscs Koubla Khn. Allegedly, the most powerful musk around, the dirtiest, nastiest, sexyist, animal-like, ass-smelling, harshest musk EVER invented; the BEAST that makes the women hide and the men afraid, very afraid. hmmmm ... I guess IRL the scent doesn't live up to the hype. Reading the reviews on BN, I wonder if I even have the right fragrance. On me, MKK is a beautiful my-skin-but-oh-so-much-better sort of scent. It is sexy in a sun-warmed sheets the next day kind of way. The scent reminds you of your lover and you wear a wistful smile while catching little whiffs here and there. It's like wearing your boyfriend's tshirt after he slept in it last night.

I wonder why there is such a HUGE difference in the way we smell musks? I would love to try a little experiment where those that wrote such harsh words about MKK would smell it on my skin. Would they find it just as fecal-like as on themselves? Is it actually the nose that smells it differently or our skins (or body chemistry) that changes the scent? hmmm big questions for such a nice Saturday afternoon I'm thinking ... sooo, back to sniffing myself and smiling wistfully.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Lanvin Scandal (vintage extrait)

Notes (from Perfume Shrine):

Top: neroli, bergamot, mandarine, clary sage.
    Heart: jchten (cuir de Russie), iris, rose, ylang
    Base: incense, civet, oakmoss, vanilla, vetiver, benzoin

Scandal has been compared to Chanel Cuir de Russie which I am wearing on my other arm for reference (modern formulation, parfum strength).

On first application of Scandal, I smell penetrating white florals with a slight urinous quality. This could be the age of the vintage juice, or it could be a lily-like note within the composition. It is slightly powdery, but not as much as Cuir de Russie which seems to have a cool, dry iris note right up front. The leather in Scandal comes out quickly, and is such an incredible rendering of real leather, that I would probably not be able to distinguish between the fragrance and a pair of well-tanned boots in a blind sniff test. I smell smoky birch tar and castoreum--the birch tar note is not as plastic or petrochemical as it seems to be in Cuir de Russie, rather, it is more woody and resinous. The castoreum does not have the antiseptic "band-aid" edge that I have smelled in other fragrances (L'Artisan Dzing! for example), but has a softened horse stable smell of hay, wood, dried manure and saddle leather. I also smell a slight tinge of tobacco and vanilla. Comparing to CdR at this stage, Scandal smells drier, bitter, green, mossy, much more leathery and animalic, and a bit less floral. Both seem to be equally powdery at this point, and I suspect that the iris in the mid notes of Scandal are starting to come out.

Scandal's middle leather stage lasts a couple of hours, and slowly evolves from bitter, dry, almost harsh leather to a softer, creamy leather with floral notes. It never has the sweet, floral-leather which is almost like butter stage that CdR has, but next to Scandal, CdR does not have the same leather prominence throughout the entire development. CdR also seems much more feminine than Scandal, perhaps because it is not nearly as dry and mossy. However, it is at the late middle stage that both Scandal and CdR smell the most alike with refined, softened leather and mildly sweet floral notes (iris and mixed white florals). I didn't smell civet very strongly in Scandal today, but I did smell it from time to time in a previous wearing. The civet (cat-pee and mothball-like notes) in Scandal is restrained--it is much less harsh and edgy than the civet I have smelled in other modern fragrance formulations. It mostly comes out in the late-middle drydown.

In the late development, some incense and sweet (now banned) musks show themselves in Scandal's base. The incense is not like the burned frankincense aromachemical I have smelled in modern perfumes. It is more like a combination of garden sage, which has a smoky quality to it, ash and mild resins. The ash note is almost like burning sage from a sage bundle, so it is not quite the smell of burned tobacco (ie, ashtray smell), but is more herbal, green, dry and medicinal. I am sure there is also some vetiver, which typically adds to the smoky vegetal note, and oakmoss which is very mossy, dry and powdery. In comparison, CdR is still much sweeter and floral, and has completely lost the earlier birch tar smoke note. Scandal is very firmly rooted in the woody leather chypre family with resins and oakmoss in the base. It is a beautiful composition from beginning to end, a joy to wear, and frankly, is what I wish modern leather chypres would be. Sillage is light to moderate, longevity is moderate (skin scent after 6 hours), and it is very wearable for either men or women.

I’m continuing my 2009 initiative of using SnS Saturdays as an excuse to revisit the scents that first introduced me to the given class featured for each month. This month gives me the opportunity to revisit the alpha to my collection.
    It was 1973 and I was turning 14 and for my birthday I asked for my first fragrance of my own. Up to this point I had been using my father’s Hai Karate, Brut or English Leather. I knew I wanted something different and I had seen the ads for something that sounded different and I requested a bottle of Jovan Musk for Men. Upon receiving it I was in love with it I smelled different than my father and it was another step towards the eventual forging of my own identity, not that I could’ve enunciated that idea in 1973. I would wear this out on dates and to parties. It was advertised as the smell of animal magnetism and I thought it added an air of sophistication to my teenaged style.I wore this well into my college days before it got replaced by Polo amongst others. I probably haven’t worn it or thought about it for close to 30 years now. I was looking forward to making the connection again. I had the same feeling I do when an old friend finds me on Facebook wondering how time has changed things and if there is anything left of what I used to like so much.
    I sprayed it on after my shower and my initial impression was “Ouch!”. The top verged on being harsh and it was very loud as citrus and spice seared their way into my consciousness. I was beginning to think my 14-year old self had a much stronger constitution than my current incarnation. Then just like that too loud person you meet at your high school reunion who first bowls you over with too much information but then eventually lapses back into the personality you remember you liked; so too does Jovan Musk for Men. Once the top burns off, fairly quickly, there is a straight-forward lavender and woods before the musk makes its appearance in the base. As this dries down the musk takes a solo turn on my skin and really smells very nice. The longevity is not so great but for something that is less than $10 a bottle I think it is certainly adequate.
    Now that I had revisited the musk of my youth I got the urge to revisit what is my current gold standard for musk and so I spritzed on some Serge Lutens Musc Kublai Khan. If Jovan was the introduction, to most Americans, of musk as a perfume, Muscs Koublai Khan is musk elevated to its highest aspiration. For todays SnS it contains the animalic triple play of musk, civet and castoreum. Just typing those notes in might give one the thought that this is like what the cage cleaner at the zoo must smell like. On me this is about as far from that as one can get. This is a mix of so many things but I find this scent to be exotic and sophisticated. The top of this is a combination of cumin and rose and that combination leads straightaway to the heart of castoreum. In the base the hallmarks of many Serge Lutens scents vanilla and patchouli make their presence known and it feels like there is labdanum there but there is so much else on display that I might be fooling myself on that score. All throughout from beginning to end is the most incredibly rounded and beautiful musk I’ve worn. As the scent progresses the interplay between the musk and the notes in each phase create a luxurious one-of-a-kind experience on my skin. I recently had one of my colleagues pick me up a bell jar of this from the Paris Salon because I know this one will stay with me for the next thirty years.
    I have to say that Jovan Musk for Men still wears pretty good, after the too-loud opening, and if I had never found Basenotes and learned of Muscs Koublai Khan I might still think it was great. But in Muscs Koublai Khan I have experienced musk in its most evolved form and there just isn’t any going back after that.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I am wearing Cuir de Russie from a sample. I have been very intimidated by this perfume since I smelled it at the Chanel boutique many years ago. I don't even remember what concentration I tried, but it was many years before Les Exclusifs EdTs were rolled out. I have had this sample for a while and today I decided to wear it in honor of "Sniff 'n' Speak" day.

The concentration I am wearing is EdT, probably from the new Les Exclusifs. I was pleasantly surprised with this soft leathery, aldehyde combination. It is very wearable and not intimidating at all. I can see that this must be a "unisex" hit, since it is pretty, but not totally femenine and very wearable. I hope the drydown is as beautiful as the start, and heart notes.
    Evenstar

After much hemming and hawing I'm in Laura Tonatto Re. Skanky patchouli, coumin, musk, and dunno what all else. Definitely an earthy/organic feel to it. Closest in my experience to Musc Ravageur and Mazzolari Lui. Good stuff, although not quite the ticket for this beautiful day in Maryland's midwinter Spring.

My second Scent is Gap ~ Sueded Musk. Had to go work out at the Health Club in something polite.

I suppose I should talk a little about Cuir de Russie since I also am wearing it today. I mostly have worn this from a TPC decant, and today's was from my new bottle. The new juice seemed much more buttery-floral through out the top, mid and much of the early drydown. Of course, this is alongside the birch tar note and the subtle castoreum that is mostly in the top and mid development. Now, I have been working a bit around the house, getting a little bit warm from all the activity. CdR is in its late drydown stages and guess what I smell now?....hehe, civet.
    Last edited by Asha; 8th February 2009 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Is it actually the nose that smells it differently or our skins (or body chemistry) that changes the scent? hmmm big questions for such a nice Saturday afternoon I'm thinking ... sooo, back to sniffing myself and smiling wistfully.
    I'm sampling Muscs Kublai Khan today as well. I have put off trying this sample for AGES, because of all the scary reviews. You know, how when people tell you a scary scene is coming up in a movie, and you cover your eyes, but you just can't help peeking anyway? Or maybe not.

But I, too, found that it's not all that bad!

The opening smells like peanuts to me! Then peanuts and baby oil.
    And then, yes, there is skank.

Y'know how some people say Tom Ford Tuscan Leather smells like cocaine and that if someone samples it and gets that look on their face, they know their secret? Well, I've not done cocaine. But there's that part of Muscs Kublai Khan that when someone says skank, I'm guessing they know what kind of skank I'm thinking of when I say skank. And that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

But that goes away. The skank does. And like SMM says, there is left this lovely skin scent. *this* scent is in the drydown of my Rose Oil Without a Name, and I sent a sample to a couple of other Basenotes members to try to find out *what* is that scent?

Well, it's there in Muscs Kublai Khan too. Kind of ambery. Kind of like some kind of solvent I used to use in my DNA preps. I like it very much. I'm wondering if it's castoreum.

At some point, I'd like to test the Rose Oil Without A Name side by side with Muscs Kublai Khan.

Anyway, I'm glad we had this Sniff 'n' Speak Animalic Day, because else I probably would have put off trying this lovely gem longer than I should have. I like MKK very much!

Edit: Good longevity, too. 05:43 and still kicking!
    Last edited by Aiona; 8th February 2009 at 10:43 AM.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

I chose The Different Company ROSE POIVREE today. For those who haven't tried it, it's a beautiful, sexy rose with distinct animalic underpinnings. Notes: Damascus Rose, Rose Berries, Pepper, Coriander, Vetiver, Civet.

I stuck my wrist under my husband's nose and asked for impressions. His response? "It smells like something real. I like it." Had to laugh!
    Last edited by Haunani; 8th February 2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Typo. As usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I suppose I should talk a little about Cuir de Russie since I also am wearing it today. I mostly have worn this from a TPC decant, and today's was from my new bottle. The new juice seemed much more buttery-floral through out the top, mid and much of the early drydown. Of course, this is alongside the birch tar note and the subtle castoreum that is mostly in the top and mid development. Now, I have been working a bit around the house, getting a little bit warm from all the activity. CdR is in its late drydown stages and guess what I smell now?....hehe, civet.
    Yes, but it is a civet I can live with, as opposed to Jicky. I just can't take that one, as much as I tried.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Yes, but it is a civet I can live with, as opposed to Jicky. I just can't take that one, as much as I tried.
    Although I love Jicky, I must agree that the civet note is much more harsh than what I smelled in the late stages of Cuir de Russie parfum. It is definitely a more tolerable usage in CdR!

Basenotes Institution

Okay, so tonight it was Kouros by YSL.

I wore this as a teenager. I probably over applied it (I had a heavy hand applying frags as a kid). I didn't really know why I liked it, or what it was that it smelled like, I just knew I liked it. Other people seemed to like it too.

The juice I am wearing is from a vintage mini deluxe sample that I bought off EBay. When I got it, it was grimy, dirty, the box was dusty and almost falling apart from age. The graphics and styling of the manufacturers box was, as I remember as a kid, the same 'old' style of Kouros. The juice was a deep gold, honey color.

Wearing it today, it is JUST as I remember. Amazing! Strong, that bruised orange note, with a bunch of spice. But today, for the first time I got a huge dose of coriander at the top notes. I own Kiehl's Coriander essential oil and have worn it many times alone. I always felt like it reminded me of something. Now I know what it is! Coriander, not quite as buttery, but still nutty and sweet.

But here's the thing: I don't get anything animalic from Kouros. I don't. Seriously. It's STRONG. It makes its presence known forcefully. But civet? Really?? I smell civet in Jicky, Rose Poivree, Mouchoir de Monsier...so I assume I know what civet smells like. But, to me, Kouros isn't civet prominent. Which is wild - because that's all you ever read and hear from it's fans and haters alike.

I didn't have a chance to compare it side-by-side with Orange Spice by Creed, which I have a sample of. Maybe next time I wear it.

For now, I am blanketed in the most plush, spicy dry down. The best part of Kouros IMO. Ah...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th February 2009 at 03:43 AM.

Going to bed in Ava Luxe ~ Madame X. When I first tried this it made me blush. Now I'm really getting into this!

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Dzing! by L'Artisan.
    I LOVE this! It's like Bulgari Black with horse stable and sawdust.
    It's not something for every occasion, of course, but oh so enjoyable and strangely comforting.
    That is exactly my impression of Dzing! (which I'm now sporting after spending the day in Daim Blond). I also experience it as incredibly soothing. I think I may need a bottle or a large de*cant for that reason. It is not an intellectual experience, but rather a visceral reactive experience linked to smells of distant memory. The dirtier-than-Bulgari Black aspect is exactly the immediate association I made. I think it's a special scent, despite or as a result of its strangeness.

Daim Blond, which I wore today, is a sophisticated, polite leather/suede, sparkling with apricots. I found the sweetness of the apricots intensifying with wear. I find Lutens' scents tend to sweeten in time (Datura Noir, Five o'Clock Gingembre), and it's a trait that I'm not sure I appreciate. Is it intentional, or formulaic? I do love Serge Lutens' scents, and merely having some thoughts.

I need to learn more about the base of these animalics. I'd like to be able to discern civet and castoreum. This SnS has been great to spawn questions I didn't know I had.

Like Asha, and without any coordination - I promise - I've been playing with my 'new' 1950s bottle of Lanvin Scandal. I'm a little concerned that my extrait hasn't held up as well as Asha's (my bottle was not sealed). Ironically, I'm pretty sure I know the bottle/set Asha bought on eBay, and I was eyeing that one as well.

Excellent review, Asha - I'm going to use it as my guidepost tomorrow when I test the Scandal again.

(and thanks to dimples for turning me on to Scandal and splitting the bottle with me)

I wore Yatagan yesterday. It was my second wearing of it from a sample I have. I really like it, but it smells dated to me, "aftershavey" and thick. It's also dry, but not parching, more astringent, and spicy.
    On the card I put it on too I smelled a distinct vegetable note, which I guess is the celery that other people have described. It's earthy and dirty. The opening on me was familiar, and reminded me of L'instant (homme), with it's patchouli and sweat note, but feels much rougher than L'instant does. Also, there is something slightly floral - reminds me of Opium (the feminine) and Knowing - but charred.
    The heart is a sweet pine note with a dusty and smoky character. Almost like Gucci pour Homme without the cedarwood and incense.
    The leather note in the drydown reminds me of Antaeus, with it's warm feel, but Yatagan still smells more manly and much dirtier, where Antaeus smells more feminine because of the baby powder note I get from it. It still feels spicy, bringing Obsession to mind.

I wore Cuir de Russie EdT yesterday for a few hours. But I was hesitant to even mention it here. It's mostly harmless.