Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, February 7, 2009 ★★★ ANIMALIC

Yesterday on SnS itself I wore Possets Madame X

Madame X starts off very gourmand with perhaps a hint of musk. I like it. More of a house cat than king of the beasts, but there are times for sitting by a window with a cup of tea and a cat in you lap. A different portion of the animalic spectrum but it it worked really well for me. A comforting scent. I didnt find it particularly sultry. Perhaps I will have a different take on it another day. It willl be in the regular rotation.

This morning I sampled Kouros. I like it but I dont know that I can pull off a full wearing. Perhaps if I were in the right mood, but not today.

So for my more beastly animalic scent Tcharas from Profumo.it, Civet and Castoreum yum. This is also a comforting scent but instead of a small cat in my lap, there is a rather large cat that is permitting me to share her couch, at least for the moment.

Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, February 7, 2009 ★★★ ANIMALIC

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Okay, so tonight it was Kouros by YSL.
    But here's the thing: I don't get anything animalic from Kouros. I don't. Seriously. It's STRONG. It makes its presence known forcefully. But civet? Really?? I smell civet in Jicky, Rose Poivree, Mouchoir de Monsier...so I assume I know what civet smells like. But, to me, Kouros isn't civet prominent. Which is wild - because that's all you ever read and hear from it's fans and haters alike.
    I think this is a really important observation about Kouros, and coming from Mike, whose nose I can rely on, it helps to resolve some of the mystery of this scent. The truth is, I don't really notice much civet in Kouros, either. I have to go turning over olfactory rocks to find it, and I'm not quite sure what it is when I find it. Kouros really is a strong and distinctive scent, which I believe now is what a significant percentage of the haters find objectionable. But I never get anything so animalic that I have to even think about moving my mental focus off of it, as I do with some musky scents like Antonio Banderas Spirit. When Mike mentioned Rose Poivree, something really clicked for me. Even in the modern reformulation of that scent, I get the animalic underside of the rose right away. For me, the blending there is perfect - the combination of floral and musky is enough to make both facets viable from the first sniff. There, I think that Ellena's transparency thing is allowing us to see kitty quite clearly. Here are the notes from The Different Company's website:

Notes include: Rose, rose berries, pepper, coriander, vetiver and civet.
    It looks like coriander plays well with civet - and in Ellena's hands, along with the other notes, transforms the stray cat into a blue-ribbon show fluffy. Kitty moves her tail around high in the air, but well-fluffed fur prevents us from seeing anything objectionable.

So in Kouros, I think that masterful perfumery has, for many noses, done what amounts to burying the dearly departed kitty in a wonderful, fragrant garden. But some of the great feats of perfumery don't extend to all noses. Expressed visually, some people are detecting (and put off by) a huge mound in the garden, and others with x-ray animalic receptors are seeing a tail sticking up. I'm sure that my wife must be in the latter camp, because her instant, animal-likened objection to Kouros is quite different from her more frequent objection to strong, non-musky fragrances, which she will say are "too perfumey", or the like.

In the end, I had to switch scents, to something that my wife would let me wear to dinner. I actually made her blind-test 4 scents from paper. She rejected Platinum Egoiste, waffled on Tokyo, and almost picked McGraw (what can I say - she's been married to me too long, I suppose.) The one she chose was actually the only one with significant musk - Givenchy Pi Neo. It uses a synthetic musk which is related to both musk and civet. There, the reliable vanilla was used to cage up kitty (or perhaps more accurately, "CatDeer") while we were out for the night, and a good time was had by all.

Gabrielle Rose joined us in Dzing! yesterday.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

Just had to share this photo, from this blog, in a post about this movie - The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. It's a hilarious spoof of cheap '50's sci-fi/horror movies. "Animala" is a squirrel that gets hit with a "turn into human" ray gun. Her sniffing of men is quite amusing.

I simply can't see the word "animalic" anymore without laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Like Asha, and without any coordination - I promise - I've been playing with my 'new' 1950s bottle of Lanvin Scandal. I'm a little concerned that my extrait hasn't held up as well as Asha's (my bottle was not sealed). Ironically, I'm pretty sure I know the bottle/set Asha bought on eBay, and I was eyeing that one as well.

Excellent review, Asha - I'm going to use it as my guidepost tomorrow when I test the Scandal again.

(and thanks to dimples for turning me on to Scandal and splitting the bottle with me)
    My bottle is from 1967--that is the date on the paper insert. It states that they have a new kind of cap, so I assume that is around the time they switched from a stopper to a screw-on. Even if you had a stoppered bottle that was sealed, it is possible it would have had more problems than the screw cap. I know some of the auctions on there now, the stoppered bottles look like the juice darkened.

I will look forward to your thoughts on the version that you have!

summer means fireflys

I decided to stretch out SnS Saturday to Sunday also this month. Musk scents I'm sort of new to, I haven't really explored them until recently, but I've fallen quite hard for several. Leather, on the other hand, is one of my favorite notes and I've been a fan of leather frags for quite a while now.

Bandit is one of my favorite leathers ever! I'm wearing it today, just because I felt the need for something familar and confidence-building. Bandit is my "Don't-Jack-With-Me" frag. I feel six foot tall and bullet proof in it, it's like wearing tall black boots with pointy toes kind of confidence. Looking back, I've worn it on some pretty special days, like when I saw the Stones in concert a few years back, when I made my first (and so far only) trip to Allen Fieldhouse (basketball fans will understand ), a trip to see the Chiefs play, when I went to test drive my Mustang convertible, and a magical day last April when the Jayhawks won the National Championship! Bandit is deep, dark, dirty leather with a secret creamy white heart. It's bad, confident, mad sexy, and lucky too!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Wow! Completely forgot SnS Saturday.

Good thing I wore Kiehl's Musk Oil yesterday. Un-gussied-with musk oil with its slight soapy, herbal oily quality and bald sexy skin. A small hint of vanilla to round things out. This scent occasionally turns fecal on me. Didn't yesterday during my round of golf (thankfully). To me, this (along with Coty's Wild Musk) is a benchmark drugstore musk oil.

This is currently being repromoted as Musk 1921 in rollerball. Don't know whether it is different from the version I bought last year.

I'm currently wearing Le Labo's Labdanum 18. Musk with vanilla and spices. Very similar to Musc Ravageur without the Malle's medicinal notes or complexity. One of my "mindless wears." I wear this and know that I smell incredibly sexy. Even in a ratty t-shirt.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger

Notes: top notes of orange oil Valencia, pettigrain Paraguay and shimmering orange flowers Tunisia, fused with jasmin Egypt and orris absolute resting on a rich base of leather with birch tar, Spanish ciste, oak moss and patchouli (from The Perfumed Court website)

On first spray of Cd'O, I smell spicy pepper, citrus and light florals. Soon, this is followed by deeper green notes, powdery moss, and iris. The fragrance is mostly dry and bitter after the initial blast, and this is offset by juicy orange and sweet floral notes. Pepper is not listed in the notes, but I do smell something which reminds me of black pepper. However, I have noticed that sometimes patchouli can have a peppery quality, so this could be a factor. The iris is buttery and a little candied, reminiscent of the iris in Miller Harris' Terre d'Iris, but less overt.

In the mid development, Cuir d'Oranger loses the fruity orange, but still maintains a citrus quality due to the petitgrain. Petitgrain is bitter and woody, and it blends beautifully with the oakmoss and iris. The pepper note has actually become stronger, but it seems more vegetal than in the early stage. The powder is also more prominent, and has a rooty and bitter quality that is quite diffuse. There is a tiny bit of sweetness, probably from the orris and perhaps some of the floral notes. So far I am perplexed about the leather portion of this fragrance. I think I can smell it faintly in the base notes, but it seems that for the beginning and middle development, I am mostly led to the illusion of leather due to the dusty, almost tannic quality of the oakmoss, orris and petitgrain combination. I am sure the patchouli is also chiming in on this too, as there is a deep earthyness present which anchors the ephemeral powder into something more substantial.

As Cuir d'Oranger approaches the drydown, a smokiness begins to emerge. This could be the birch tar note and perhaps some vetiver. The fragrance is still quite dry and bitter, has a touch of pepper, and is much softer overall. The powder accord is beautiful--it is not like baby powder at all, rather, it is green and dry, evocative of living plant aromatics in a garden or forest. I am reminded of the smell of many plants in the artemesia family, such as southernwood or wormwood. These plants have an astringent, medicinal and sweet herbaceous smell that permeates the air. That is the sense of this powder accord in Cd'O. Lovely. The leather is still not strong, and really seems to play a supporting role to the oakmoss, vetiver and other notes. The fragrance stays mostly in this form for the rest of the development. However, in very late stages (7-10 hours later), the Cd'O has almost nothing left of the dry mossyness and settles into a sweet amber skin scent.

Sillage is strong at first, and moderate for the majority of the development. Longevity is very good--in overnight wears, I can smell the amber base the next morning. Cuir d'Oranger is listed as a unisex fragrance. I agree with this designation, although it seems to be a touch on the masculine side. When compared to other leather chypres, it is not as floral as those which would be considered more feminine. The leather component of Cd'O is really not a major player, but the fragrance is immensely enjoyable nonetheless, especially with Lyn Harris' beautiful use of oakmoss and the warming pepper note.

Blog Entries

I meant to post yesterday about wearing MKK, but I find I don't have much to add to what SMM, Shades, and Aiona have said. I love Aiona's description of skank, and I actually like how that curious note emerges and am a little sorry when it fades away. It's not offensive to me and I think it works very well within the composition of the fragrance. The drydown is sublime-- soft, warm, sensual. I agree with the others who wonder, "What's all the fuss?"
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

NOOooooooooo!!! I can't believe I missed this!!! *falls to ground sobbing*
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    NOOooooooooo!!! I can't believe I missed this!!!
    It's never too late to trot in, you animal, you.

Thanks to all who help turn this place into a zoo.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I didn't miss it, but been too busy to post.
    I decided that I couldn't be a stinkin' mess on Saturday, so I will be wearing this category all this week.

Saturday - Bal a Versailles vintage parfum -- the ultimate in skankiness, complete animal and civet.
    Sunday - Bal a Versailles modern parfum -- ah, this is more like it... very sexy... womanly, I used sparingly.

Monday - Jicky parfum -- understated, not much civet on me, but enough to sniff if I grind my wrist to my nose

Tuesday - Lanvin Scandal -- I have four versions (1 more modern, with topnotes still intact, pure heavenly bliss). Three versions, older and sealed with the juice darkened as Asha described. One is opened and unfortunately, no topnotes for me.

Wednesday - Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT

Thursday - Cuir Mauresque

Friday - I'll see if I can find the leather in Kelly Caleche

Saturday - my vintage Cabochard Gres
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407