Code of Conduct

Smile Any recommendations based on my limited knowledge and taste?

Hi! I'm new to basenotes and fragrances.

I'm not sure what types or genres I prefer-my taste is pretty eclectic.
    I'm a 21 year old female.

I would like to share some likes and dislikes and see if anyone could suggest a "type" or genre for them. And any recommendations would be much appreciated!

LIKES: Vera Wang Bouquet, D&G Light Blue, YSL Elle, Clinique Happy, Cool Water(sort of),
    Ralph Rocks(which I find just a tad on the oversweet side), Candies.

DISLIKES: Heavy musk, powerful florals, syrupy sweetness, a baby powder smell, or a very synthetic chemical soapy smell.

NOTES I LIKE: (not necessarily together): citrus, woods, green grassy notes, light fresh smells, slightly warm spicy smells, and a little sweetness. rosemary, lavender, patchouli, fruits, and some flowers but I'm not really sure which ones.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any recommendations based on my limited knowledge and taste?

Hi there!

If you get into niche fragrances, I suggest trying this French company called The Different Company. They have some nice fragrances that sound like your style. Nothing heavy, sweet, powdery, super-floral, or musky. Just the opposite. Light, clear, clean, crisp. Perfect for you. They're a bit expensive, but worth it. Check them out on the web. They have a sampler program, too - about the cost of a single fragrance to try 4 mL each of all their scents.

You may also like some Hermès scents, too. In fact, a whole bunch of their scents. Do you have a Sephora near you? Or Saks? They both have nice selections of Hermès fragrances. I'll confess - I'm a fan of both these houses, but I also like some of the scents you probably wouldn't like, from other houses.

Welcome to Basenotes!

Thanks so much for for the reply!
    I will definitely check those out!

(I'm on a budget and live in small town, but I can find a lot of things on the 'net.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    Thanks so much for for the reply!
    I will definitely check those out!

(I'm on a budget and live in small town, but I can find a lot of things on the 'net.)

I've gotten some nice ones from fragrancenet.com - they carry a fair number of the Hermès scents, although they're not always stocked up on all of the scents. Good luck!

Check out Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's website, too-- dshperfumes.com. I haven't yet tried any of hers, being a newbie myself, but she seems to have quite a following and her site is easy to navigate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Check out Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's website, too-- dshperfumes.com. I haven't yet tried any of hers, being a newbie myself, but she seems to have quite a following and her site is easy to navigate.
    Oooooh! She has a store in Boulder - one of my favorite towns. Will have to stop in! Thanks for the tip!

No prob, Red!

Hillaire

Beauty Encounter has beaucoup samples, an minis, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

You may also like some Hermès scents, too. In fact, a whole bunch of their scents. ...
    Welcome to Basenotes!
    Yes, welcome to Basenotes! We're glad to have you here.
    RP is giving good advice (he always does!). Try the Hermès line, especially the Jardin series (Mediterranee, Nil, Mousson). I particularly like Un Jardin sur le Nil -- and since among your likes are green-grassy notes, that is definitely a possibility. Hermès is a classy line.
    Cheers!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Thanks! I will gladly look into those Hermes you mentioned.

Another Hermes which sounds nice to me is 24 Faubourg Eau Delicate.
    Any thoughts on that one?