Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga

The title and description of this scent intrigued me immediately when I read it.

And hey...isn't clever marketing sometimes just enough, to get you to sample a scent!? It worked. I ordered a sample (along with a handful of others) and I have to say, Burning Barbershop is quite unique and noteworthy.

The juice is dark brown, almost malt beer colored. If you're expecting to smell the 'barbershop' notes and then the 'burning' notes (like I was), you'll be cleverly surprised to realize that the order has been switched: All you smell when you apply it, is the smell of something burnt. Not acrid or sulphorous. Not smoky. Something that was burning or smoking and now smells burnt. I love that smell. You know, when you can smell a fire burning far away in your neighborhood and the smell that's carried along the wind? That smell.

The darker, almost leather-like elements of BB unfold in a similar fashion to Patchouli 24 by Le Labo and Lonestar Memories by Tauer - the smell of burnt wood, a slight tar resin smell and perhaps saddle leather. Never veering too far into the rubbery/synthetic territory of P24 or the smoked meat/hickory smell of LM. Which was good, since those accords give me a nasty headache.

The aromatics (specifically the lavender and a bit of the mint) are much more apparent while the scent has been on your skin for a while - almost as if they're rising out of the burnt atmosphere. I don't smell the lime. The vanilla makes itself apparent at the very end of the scent profile, but by then all of the accords have meshed together and the prevailing overall scent profile is: burnt aromatics.

I have worn fragrances that smelled very burnt. Eau de Fier by Annick Goutal; Essence of John Galliano by Diptyque. Scents that make me smell like I've exited a burning building. But in BB the lavender and mint temper the burnt woods and leathers perfectly - so the sillage (which is average) isn't pyromaniac-esque.

Longevity is average (all the scents are EdT). I think BB is very masculine smelling (whatever that means...). And yet it's a bold masculine fragrance that does not have incense. Incense is starting to become overused in perfumery IMO and it seems to be the default accord in so many recent 'bold' fragrances. Not this one. Clever marketing aside, it is small details like this, that make BB distinctive.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd December 2012 at 03:00 AM.

Default Re: Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga

Nice review. It sounds like something I'd REALLY like. I'll try to see if I can check it out. It's the only scent I found interesting within the D.S. & Durga line based on description and notes.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks N.

Well considering you like Incense by Norma Kamali, Fumidus, Essence of John Galliano and Lonestar Memories - BB might not be harsh enough!? LOL.

Seriously, do try it N. It's a scent that you could easily wear.

Barbados(i want to test this one!!, makes me feel it's going to be some like ambre sultan kind spicy...), New English Pine, $ and now this... the list is never ending...unfortunately my bank balance is...

Thnx for your olfactory review MikeP !

Very good description, thanks for that. It sounds intriguing. I'm gonna have to check this line out soon. Cheers.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Barbados(i want to test this one!!, makes me feel it's going to be some like ambre sultan kind spicy...), New English Pine, $ and now this... the list is never ending...unfortunately my bank balance is...

Thnx for your olfactory review MikeP !
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Very good description, thanks for that. It sounds intriguing. I'm gonna have to check this line out soon. Cheers.
    You're welcome. Please post your thoughts about the scents once you do.

FYI: DS & Durga are offering 10% off all orders 'til Valentine's Day - not sure if this applies to sample orders, but you can email them. I put the info in the BN Discount thread area.

And the name just made me think of burnt hair. Ick.
    Clever marketing works for some and not others. LOL.

Just assume that the fire happened after closing time and all the hair had already been swept up and thrown away in the dumpsters behind the barbershop. Any better?
    Last edited by ibarney5; 8th February 2009 at 04:08 AM.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    And the name just made me think of burnt hair. Ick.
    Clever marketing works for some and not others. LOL.
    LOL

Then don't try Serge Noire by Serge Lutens. Many say the top notes smell like burnt hair. I happen to love the way it smells.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th February 2009 at 05:04 AM.

Blog Entries

y'know...i have about 15-20 samples of DS&Durga scents....but not this one. I'll have to ask em for it.....sounds good, Mike.

You know, this sounds really interesting to me, as do a few other of their scents, but I just e-mailed them about samples and they e-mailed me back (very promptly) that samples are $4.50 each. Now, seriously, isn't that a bit much for a company that's just getting started? I'm trying to decide it I want to spend over $20 for a handful of samples from a house that has only been around for a year. Am I just being a tightwad or do other people think these guys are getting a little greedy because of the recent interest in them on basenotes? You'd think they'd want to get those samples into our hands so that we would buy those little $85 bottles. The e-mail didn't offer the 10% discount either.

Mike said it best:

I figured this would happen. When I saw the posting in NowSmellThis, I knew it was only a matter of time before they'd be swamped with sample requests. Which, for a small outfit like them, can be extremely time consuming and very little profit I'm sure.
    I just received an email from them and the 10% off sale does not include samples. Size of the samples according to them is a bit more than half a mL.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    Mike said it best:

I just received an email from them and the 10% off sale does not include samples. Size of the samples according to them is a bit more than half a mL.
    actually their ordering exploded after the original Basenotes thread i started.....they told me it jumped hugely right after.....

and to the guy saying they're getting greedy for charging $4.50 per sample......this is a company with 2 (TWO) people working there.....and they have 'other' jobs as well.....to mail out samples, make samples, pay shipping, etc....is not an easy or efficient way to sell your stuff.....so no, i don't think $4.50 is alot......especially when people readily pay $3 to $5 for samples from Lucky Scent----a company that doesn't even make fragrances themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    actually their ordering exploded after the original Basenotes thread i started.....they told me it jumped hugely right after.....

and to the guy saying they're getting greedy for charging $4.50 per sample......this is a company with 2 (TWO) people working there.....and they have 'other' jobs as well.....to mail out samples, make samples, pay shipping, etc....is not an easy or efficient way to sell your stuff.....so no, i don't think $4.50 is alot......especially when people readily pay $3 to $5 for samples from Lucky Scent----a company that doesn't even make fragrances themselves!
    I'm no economist, but it does seem to me that all of the reasons you've listed to justify the raise in price (there being only two people, them doing everything themselves) should make their products less expensive, not more. I'm sure they're nice guys and all, but I haven't heard anything that would cause me to rethink my earlier comment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I'm no economist, but it does seem to me that all of the reasons you've listed to justify the raise in price (there being only two people, them doing everything themselves) should make their products less expensive, not more. I'm sure they're nice guys and all, but I haven't heard anything that would cause me to rethink my earlier comment.
    $4.50 for a sample is not unreasonable at all.......that includes shipping. completely fair and justified, as compared to the industry standard, IMO. I see no reason to think it is unfair...

Basenotes Institution

Guys - let's try keep this thread about the scent Burning Barbershop. Thanks!

I just received a sample of this and all I have to say is Lapsang Souchang.

I'm glad this thread was revived. I smelled Burning Barbershop at the start of summer and loved it, but I felt it wouldn't work well in the summer heat. As we enter fall, I gotta pick this up. Thanks for reminding me. Also wanna try their New England Pine.

I ordered this blind recently and just got it a few days ago. Today is my first full wearing. I have to say I agree with the OP. This doesn't smell smoky or even incensey. It smelled like something burnt! The initial notes are tough to handle but it gets better with lavender and a hint of lime shining through. I thought this would be similar to Gris Clair but it isn't. This one has no sweetness. It is like nothing I have ever smelled. Mesmerizing.
    I also received Mississippi Medicine and will try it tomorrow. This brand is very interesting and I need to get samples of some of their other fragrances.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Basenotes Institution

I just got a nice healthy decant of this today, I look forward to wearing it (I might put it away until Spring, it doesn't feel very Fall to me). I also got a decant of Spent Musket Oil. Seriously, that is the name. LOL
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

It's a pretty cool artisanal outfit imo. I love their $ which has been discontinued. Finding it hard to get hold of their samples.