Code of Conduct

Default The best citrus?

Hi guys,

I don't know about you but I've grown so tired of sniffing all these old and new pompous scents and of liking so few of them.

As spring is approaching, I thought I'd approach it with nothing but a nice citrus scent, nothing overwhelming or overblown, just a nice little nothing that makes people say, "Oh, you smell good today" (and that makes me look like George Clooney along the way...)

Of course, I know Eau Sauvage and Aqua di Parma... I thought there might be something better out there. Perhaps I should add here that I'm not young any more. So something classic would be very appropriate.

Any good ideas?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Luis; 7th February 2009 at 04:36 PM.

Default Re: The best citrus?

i would suggest you Penhaligon´s Castile, the dry down is very good and it is longlasting
    (o.k. it´s a neroli, not a harsh citrus blast like ysl pour homme, ysl reminds me on a urinal cake here in germany, i had heard in other countries like us they have no citrus urinal cakes, they seem all have "Kouros-like" cakes..thats why the americans have a other sight to this...otherwise here in germany nobody think that kouros smells like a urinal cake, because we haven´t such scents in the restroom..it´s funny lol)

or if you get acqua di genova, the opening is good, but the drydown smells like yankee candles clean cotton.
    Last edited by milanolover; 7th February 2009 at 09:18 PM.
    scent up your life!

Cartier Declaration Essence. Citrus and woods, very nice and classy.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120933.html
    Last edited by adrianis; 7th February 2009 at 05:52 PM.

Well Acqua di Parma is well made, so I am not sure about better but others in that class would include:

Villoresi Acqua di Colonia

Guerlain Imperiale.

Or you may like:

Creed's Selection Verte.

Or

Penhaligons Douro

All high class citrus.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

The best Citrus is the one you like the best.

It also depends on what your idea of citrus you would like to have, there are many variants.
    You mentioned something classic and "not young".

Then i would suggest Boucheron Pour Homme EDP.

cheers!

FM bigarade concentree

Monsieur de Givenchy

YSL pour homme
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Many good suggestions so far, especially Blenheim Bouquet and Duro.

Since you like AdP Colonia, I also recommend Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

This is by far my favourite category of fragrance, and outside of Eau Sauvage and Aqua Di Parma, I would recommend Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake. It is exceptionally fresh and stands out from the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    This is by far my favourite category of fragrance, and outside of Eau Sauvage and Aqua Di Parma, I would recommend Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake. It is exceptionally fresh and stands out from the crowd.
    I have my eyes set on Citrus Paradisi for weeks now. It just doesn't show up on ebay.

I've also read that Bois 1920 Agrumi Amaria di Sicilia is also a fine citrus frag for summer.

Anyone

I have my eyes set on Citrus Paradisi for weeks now. It just doesn't show up on ebay.
    Bois 1920 Agrumi Amaria di Sicilia is another fine citrus.

Anyone, what is the cheapest place to buy these two?

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Well Acqua di Parma is well made, so I am not sure about better but others in that class would include:

Guerlain Imperiale.

All high class citrus.
    Absolutely! I'll go so far as to say that Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Impériale is, in my humble opinion, the finest, freshest, most beautiful citrus of about the last 155 years! It's duration may be relatively brief, but man 'o man (and women), while it's there!
    Last edited by wicozani; 7th February 2009 at 09:41 PM.

My current fave is Creeds Neroli Sauvage, for which I have discovered a new found appreciation. After learning more about the lemon-neroli pairing in traditional compositions, I find the lemon (top note) and the floral-spicy neroli (heart note) of Neroli Sauvage in near perfect harmony. Superb stuff and it holds its own in 25F temperatures as well.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    My current fave is Creeds Neroli Sauvage, for which I have discovered a new found appreciation. After learning more about the lemon-neroli pairing in traditional compositions, I find the lemon (top note) and the floral-spicy neroli (heart note) of Neroli Sauvage in near perfect harmony. Superb stuff and it holds its own in 25F temperatures as well.
    I agree, I am a big fan of Neroli Sauvage too. The balance is very good, as you say ZZ. The neroli note is light and fresh rather than heavy and indolic and the sandalwood/millesime base holds the freshness for a long time, albeit in a quiet way. It smells of happiness to me (but in a dignified way, not an annoying grin)
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I'd second Neroli Sauvage, and also recommend you check out PdE's Iskander.

For a more youthful, less classical, playful and yet introverted/romantic citrus, check out Ineke's wonderful Derring-Do.

Another enjoyable citrus that I think suits the slightly older crowd (well, older than the teenage/college crowd most designer citruses are aimed towards) is Versace's newest, Versace PH.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I agree, I am a big fan of Neroli Sauvage too. The balance is very good, as you say ZZ. The neroli note is light and fresh rather than heavy and indolic and the sandalwood/millesime base holds the freshness for a long time, albeit in a quiet way. It smells of happiness to me (but in a dignified way, not an annoying grin)
    At the same time I am comparing it to LOccitane's Neroli EDP (old formulation), although its not a light citrus per se. Neroli EDP seems to me to be an odd (and failed) pairing of a good quality indolic neroli with a harsh, cheap cedary-woody note which kills the neroli note half way through and turns the juice into a wood-pecker perfume. Perhaps they ran out of money for other ingredients ?
    -

Bergamote by the Different Company

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Bergamote by the Different Company
    Thats another good one. Probably the best begamote soliflore out there.
    -

maybe not the best , but up their amongst them
    Halston Z-14

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I'm not a citrus guy, so maybe I should just keep mum, but LV Uomo is the only citrus I would consider re-purchasing.

Hermes' Orange Verte has got to be near the top of anyone's list! Followed by Trumper's Limes, in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Monsieur de Givenchy

YSL pour homme

YSL Pour homme is great....absolutly, but try YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration, is a complex citrus, with caracter, mature.....lemons, but the best selection.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Divine Bergamote by TDC,
    Signoricci by Nina ricci
    Agua Fresca by Adolfo dominguez.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Versace man eau fraiche
    versace ph
    bergammoto marino by ferre its a cologne whith long duration
    allure edition blanche
    cologne by mugler

all citrus based perfumes whith a modern twist

I tend to like them all, but here's a short list of favorites:

Penhaligon's Castile (OK, it's more about neroli)
    Colonia Assoluta (many similarities with Castile)
    Concentre d'Orange Verte (nice but very short longevity on me)
    YSL pour homme (sort of a waxy citrus)

I'll 3rd Divine Bergamote, and also agree with Monsieur de Givency and Mugler Cologne.

3 excellent citrus fragrance:

Bois de Cedrat, Creed - Crisp citrus.
    Signoricci, Nina Ricci - Dry citrus
    Eau Sauvage, Dior - Citrus musk

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    So something classic would be very appropriate.
    Creed's Selection Verte is the pinnacle of the classic citrus scents imo.
    Creed Neroli Sauvage is not far behind.
    The other creed citruses are also good, but gone far too quickly, with the exception of Zeste Mandarine Pampelmousse, which I don't think smells "classic", as it is dominated by the smell of the inner soft white part of the grapefruit peel. other grapefruit-dominant scents, that feature less "inner white peel" are Fresh's Hesperides and Athletics by Hilfiger, although the latter does feature some of the "inner white soft peel" IMO, no grapefruit scent has been a classic yet, but if grapefruit is what you seek, those 3 are the best.

Maitre's Eau pour le jeune is another classic citrus, on the sweeter side, but shares alot with AdP Colonia. it is basically a younger, mintier Colonia, which has neroli/orange blossom in the place of the rose/lavender. Still very refined/poised as all the Maitre's are. If MPG Eau Pour Le Jeune is too sweet, the 2008 relaunch of Jacques Fath Green Water smells like a greener version of the Maitre, and is essentially a green-citrus scent, whereas the 1993version of green water was much more herbal/mossy/aromatic-citrus.

Hermes Concentre D'Orange Verte & Eau D'Orange Verte are both excellent&timeless.
    Maitre's Fraiche badiane smells like a more mature version of Concentre D'Orange Verte

Also, while they do smell more contemporary than the others, L'Artisan's Mandarine tout Simplement and Miller Harris Tangerine Vert are both classic citrus imo.

Here's some other threads that are related:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=citrus

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=citrus

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Thats another good one. Probably the best begamote soliflore out there.
    It's not Soliflore afaik, in addition to it's bergamot, it's got very strong notes of Lemon Myrtle/lemon verbena/Lemongrass, or at least a heavy dose of Citral (which is the main distinctive component of the 3 I listed)

As for the scents with dominant Citral notes, I would place them in this order, best 1st.
    1. Profumum Aqua Viva
    2. TDC Bergamotte
    3. L'Occitane Verbena Classic
    4. Heeley Vervaine

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Monsieur Balmain. Pure lemon that lasts. To me it's very similar to YSL Pour Homme but without the thyme and vetiver. Which leaves just lemons! well... and something else I can't quite fathom, but it's love-worthy.

Let me add something old, something new (and omit something borrowed and something blue).

Good old Eau de Guerlain EDT. Try to find the first bottle made by Granai - the 1974 juice is something to die for! Yes, it`s not only citrus but also herbs and cedarwood, but it`s neoclassic in its best. Maybe it`s make you nostalgic?

Good modern Kobe by XerJoff. There`re two reasons to choose it. 1) it`s not cologne, but parfum strength. Yes, parfum for men. 2) Excellent citruses - natural and crisp - as it should be. Mostly natural - so the price is higher. Even 4711 and Farina cannot make natural things now.
    It also has meteorite inclosed - but it could not be the reason to buy it.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

It's known I'm not so much a citrus guy but there are some mentions here that are indeed good options:
    AdP Colonia Assoluta
    Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
    L'Eau par Kenzo
    Malle Bigarrade Concentrée
    Hermès Concentrée d'orange verte
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    Moschino Friends
    and the last one that impressed me it's
    Parfums d'Empire Iskander

Non niche, designers, from the ones I know / have / tried:

Dior's Eau Sauvage
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte / Hermes Concentrée d'Orange Verte (this last one has a leatherish dry down unperceptible or lightly perceptibly in the original one)
    Signoricci / Signoricci 2 (they are the same)
    Cologne, Roger & Gallet
    YSL pour Homme
    Verveine, L'Occitane
    Verveine, Yves Rocher

Niche, tried:

Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien

From comments here in BN:

Trophee Lancome (discontinued)
    Lacoste (Original) - Hard to find
    Balmain por Homme
    Last edited by Pollux; 10th February 2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Inclusion

Can I suggest Eau de Rochas and Eau de Rochas Homme? They take the classic cologne theme and add something more substantial in their bases.
    Both lovely and with good longevity.

Eau Sauvage you know about. and I hearily second and third that nomination. I'd also look at Guerlain's Eau de Guerlain; it's a straightforward eau de cologne done very very well. Penhaligon's Quercus may also be to your liking, as might Roger & Gallet's The Vert (which is very similar to Quercus). Penhaligon's Douro is a great woods/citrus/herb combo with a classic barbershop scent, and I definitely suggest trying it. Parfums de Nicolai's Eau de Cedrat is great stuff, and Creed's Bois de Cedrat is also very good (but has poor longevity on me; most citrus scents do, though).

Straying away from citrus just a bit, Taylor of Old Bond Street's St. James is the only aquatic I've smelled that I love. Longevity is not great, though. Creed's Virgin Island Water is a great lime/coconut/salt combo that makes you feel like you're at the beach.
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com

Thanks, Inselaffe (Do you speak any German?) for mentioning Citrus Paradisi. Got it today after sniffing a lot of other "well-behaved" scents. CP is a dirty but very unusual scent, I agree, and certainly stands out from the crowd. Just was I was looking for.

I am rarely attracted to citrus scents. Live Jazz is the only one I own. I do enjoy it though.

^I really liked the top of live jazz, but the heart rhubarb shared too much in common with a popular Tommy Hilfiger that I never liked. For those who liked Tommy Hilfiger, and want more citrus and mint, Live Jazz is a good option. Also the Cilantro type note I think was too abrasive in live Jazz. Does anyone know a similar top notes to Live Jazz with a different heart/base ?

Thanks, Inselaffe (Do you speak any German?) for mentioning Citrus Paradisi. Got it today after sniffing a lot of other "well-behaved" scents. CP is a dirty but very unusual scent, I agree, and certainly stands out from the crowd. Just was I was looking for.
    Does it use natural grapefruit oil ? THis could be why it smells dirty, as natural grapefruit oil degrades into sulphurous scents over time...whereas synthetic grapefruit is stable, and doesn't smell as synthetic as other synthetic citruses, if that makes sense.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Creed's "Royal Water" which I get a huge burst of natural, fresh citrus from.

I used Acqua di Parma for years and find RW to be an adequate replacement for my ADP bottle with only a few sprays remaining.

Hi guys,

I don't know about you but I've grown so tired of sniffing all these old and new pompous scents and of liking so few of them.

As spring is approaching, I thought I'd approach it with nothing but a nice citrus scent, nothing overwhelming or overblown, just a nice little nothing that makes people say, "Oh, you smell good today" (and that makes me look like George Clooney along the way...)

Of course, I know Eau Sauvage and Aqua di Parma... I thought there might be something better out there. Perhaps I should add here that I'm not young any more. So something classic would be very appropriate.

Any good ideas?
    Thanks.

I love Eau Sauvage, ADP Colonia, ADP Colonia Assolutam, YSL pour Homme and YSL pour Homme Concentree, Armani PH, Chanel pour Monsieur, Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's, Hugh Parsons Yellow

Recent citrus scents that I have found that I have really liked are:
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Ineke Derring-Do

I'm actually headed out today to pick up a bottle of Eau Sauvage. The freshness of lemon, but also dirty, or a bit unclean, if you prefer to think of it that way. I'll toss in a vote for Boucheron pH EDP as well.
    Last edited by curtis.w; 15th February 2009 at 07:43 PM.

Cool Re: The best citrus?

I've no doubt that the best citrus is either:

1. Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955)
    or
    2.Monsieur Balmain (original 1964 formula)

Because I've never owned either and the citrus gods hate me for blaspheming against Eau Savauge.
    I believe I said it felt as if I had spilled basil-lemon tea on my hairy chest.

I have tried Pour Monsieur Concentree ( yawn ) and the 1990 Balmain.

Well, for that matter, I can also endorse:

Miller Harris Tangerine Vert and Citron Citron
    Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake
    and
    Acqua Viva by Profumum

The first two because I've hardly ever been dissapointed by a MH or CZ scent--great houses!
    The last because it's being endorsed by MIke Perez who has almost 10,000 posts and impeccable taste, if I may make so bold.

Mike, the Profumum, is now my next purchase!

--------------------------------------------

I have tried and really liked:

Signoricci ( Masterpiece of austere beauty, might be too subtle for some)
    Eau de Rochas ( Ditto)
    Lowe Para Hombre ( Ditto)

Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte ( NOT subtle but quite good. Keep a small vial handy to refresh every 2 hours though)

And

Blenheim Bouquet ( An all time fave--though I didn't think of it as a citrus, really )
    Versace l'Homme ( Like BB, it's deceptively complex--another all time fave.)
    Creed's Selection Verte ( If you like your citrus with mint and The Great Outdoors, and I do)

Plus two other wonderful discoveries I made this year:

PdE's Iskander ( Where has this been all my life? )
    Cartier Declaration Essence. ( Wow! It's Cartier and I never heard of it either until recently)

I envy anyone trying these for the first time.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.