Code of Conduct

Default Elizabeth Taylor

Hello ladies!
    I was wondering what were your thoughts about the Elizabeth T. line, specially the discontinued scents, if you own one, why did you choose it and what would you like to buy if you had the chance, and what were in general your impressions on all of the woman's scents from Elizabeth Taylor.
    Looking forward on your scented thoughts,

cheers!

Default Re: Elizabeth Taylor

I wore White Diamonds back in the day. I hadn't sniffed it in ages, and it seems like everybody hates it, but I smelled it a while back on my sister-in-law, and when I asked her what it was (it was very nice on her, floral-chypre), turns out it was White Diamonds. I don't think it's so bad, but I guess people OD'ed on it. Someone else here posted about it recently, too.

I have a bottle of Elizabeth Taylor's Gardenia. It smells true to gardenia but only for about a second. Then it dries down to a floral blend - slightly spicy - that I find pleasant but I rarely reach for it. That bit of spiciness that emerges seems to extend the impression of gardenia. Maybe I will wear it again when the weather becomes a little more spring like. I layered it once with a drugstore musk oil (Jovan, I think) - unintentionally - and got a nice compliment from my husband on it. He likes when I wear white florals, and I suppose the musk oil gave it some depth. I like the Gardenia bottle, too. It's pretty. I think those are the only ones I've worn by ET. I've always been curious about the other gem ones..Diamonds and Emeralds, etc. I've seen them in Marshalls, but I've never sniffed them.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 7th February 2009 at 09:42 PM.

I like the entire line and think ET frags get "dissed" far too often here on Basenotes. They are inexpensive frags, yes, but so what? I'm especially fond of Diamonds and Rubies, and ET for Men is one of the best drugstore frags out there, IMHO.

White Diamonds is widely detested, yes, but I think much of this has to do with the fact that some folks SLATHER it on. WD is most assuredly not a frag one should apply with a heavy hand -- not at all. Not unless, that is, one wishes to smell like a geriatric tranny whore. Applied lightly, though, it's a very feminine (if somewhat heady) brew that's really quite pleasant, especially for the price.

As cheaper gardenias go, ET's is very nice, true, and I agree about the hint of spiciness. All that said, I still miss the cheap old Jungle Gardenia (the vintage original). Nothing came closer to the heart of the true gardenia except perhaps Annick Goutal's blend, and the price difference between those JG and AG's Gardenia is, obviously, staggering.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    WD is most assuredly not a frag one should apply with a heavy hand -- not at all. Not unless, that is, one wishes to smell like a geriatric tranny whore.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    As cheaper gardenias go, ET's is very nice, true, and I agree about the hint of spiciness. All that said, I still miss the cheap old Jungle Gardenia (the vintage original). Nothing came closer to the heart of the true gardenia except perhaps Annick Goutal's blend, and the price difference between those JG and AG's Gardenia is, obviously, staggering.
    Jungle Gardenia was THE best gardenia.

Has anyone else tried M. Storer Stephanie (BIG gardenia)? I love it. It has that MS musk base that is in Winter Star. I think you love it or hate. it. I love it

My TJ Maxx has tons of ET Gardenia right now. And White Diamonds, And a few others.......Maybe I should try them. I've never sampled a single one.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 8th February 2009 at 03:29 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I love White Diamonds, my grandma wears it and she says she gets so many compliments on it. I think it's more of a floral Chanel No 5
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Has anyone else tried M. Storer Stephanie (BIG gardenia)? I love it. It has that MS musk base that is in Winter Star. I think you love it or hate. it. I love it.
    I have 2 samples of Stephanie from Basenoters, and I need to give it a fair trial. I dabbed a tiny bit on my hand one day in passing and thought, "hmm...nice", and continued about my way. Gardenia frags are very touch and go for me. Some work very well on me, and others don't at all (Yves Rocher's gardenia fragrance that everyone raves is so true to real gardenia is awful on me - very weird and rubbery). Gardenia is a totally syntheticized (is that a word? Morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet) accord because the scent can't be extracted from the blossom. And I think the original Jungle Gardenia was discontinued (I believe I read somewhere) because of ingredients restrictions. I don't know why true gardenia smelling fragrances are so rare. ET's Gardenia is pretty nice, however, as they go.

My mother told me that she had read in a movie magazine when she was young that Elizabeth Taylor wore Jungle Gardenia. So my mother bought Jungle Gardenia and used to drown herself in it, which made my poor grandfather gag and forbid her to wear it at the breakfast table. I've always wondered whether ET did actually wear Jungle Gardenia, and if that was why she came out with a gardenia fragrance.

My very favorite ET scent is Passion a complicated animalic-chypre-floral.

I think these scents lost their initial verve after being over marketed. Passion begain its life as a scent you'd find at Lord and Taylor or Macy's, but lost its cache when it hit the Walmarts and Rite-Aids.

A friend of mine wears her Gardenia in the summer and it's quite lovely on her.

My sister and I both wore WD in the "BIG perfume 80's". Neither of us would wear it now, though.

Thank you Everyone for your comments!
    cheers!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 18th February 2009 at 02:35 AM.

IMHO they sould all be outlawed. Nasty.

The ET line is still sold--proudly--at both my Macy's and my Penney's Sephora outlet, where it takes pride of place over Paris Hilton, Mariah Carey, and Britney Spears. Since the Penney's Sephoras (or so I've heard) can design their own selection based on buying trends and customer demographics, I surmise that ET is quite a force, locally. This I find interesting because we have two large and independent communities: UF and the medical centers, and I'd not think either of these supported ET; it's been my observation that the college girls wear a lot of VS and Abercrombie and Fitch frags. However, there is also a large senior demographic here thanks to those medical centers.

ET was, for quite some time, the face of her generation, even if in the seventies she pickled herself in booze with an end result of overstuffed blowsiness. There was a touch of the vulgar to her, and this came across in the television adverts. During her "choked on a chicken bone" era she became a figure of mirth for the younger generation and a symbol of comically gaudy excess (always in poor taste). Still, women of my mother's generation remember her as an aspirational figure and the epitome of beauty (as Rita Hayworth had also been, during WW2).

One of my cousins wore White Diamonds and I remember always loving the way it smelled on her. Then I had the unfortunate experience of having a roommate that sprayed it on herself every time she went outside, so several times a day sometimes. lol I have a mini that used to be my grandma's now and just keep it for sentimental reasons.

I do own Diamonds and Sapphires and I still wear it once in a while. It's quite nice, a sharp floral that always gets noticed because it is actually nice and quite unique in the floral world of fragrances.

I also love Diamonds and Sapphires. The edp is way better than the edt, but imposible to find. White Diamonds has a note that is really bad on me, makes me sick. But on others it smells nice. I also have Gardenia and I think it is nice, clean and simple.

Smile Re: Elizabeth Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Has anyone else tried M. Storer Stephanie (BIG gardenia)? I love it. It has that MS musk base that is in Winter Star. I think you love it or hate. it. I love it

My TJ Maxx has tons of ET Gardenia right now. And White Diamonds, And a few others.......Maybe I should try them. I've never sampled a single one.
    I think Stephanie is an amazing gardenia scent. That said, it's hard for me to wear as it is so aromatic as to cause a quick headache. Still, it is awfully good.

I've never sampled ET fragrances either. I think the scents all go straight to Marshalls and TJ Maxx! The shelves are always filled with them!

I think these fragrances are very nice, very reasonably priced, and have wonderful tenacity.
    I think it is funny how people 'poop' all over White Diamonds because of it's larger than life personality and sillage, yet will spend 7x as much on a niche scent which has 20 minutes of sillage and the personality of a radish; go figure.
    I think White Diamonds should be worn with a gentle touch, as my mother does, and it is breathtaking. Passion also has quite a wonderful personality, and such a unique quality.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

I love Black Pearls in the cooler months, it's actually one of my comfort scents, and Gardenia and Diamonds & Emeralds are among my rotation in the spring and early summer. It was actually the low price point and the fact that they can be found easily at any discount store that prompted me to try them initially. Curiosity got the better of me one day while haunting Winners (Canadian version of TJ Maxx) during one of those very ripe for impulse buys, I'm bored so I'll "just browse" moments, needless to say, I was very pleasantly surpised.

One more in favor of an EL's scent...Passion is one of my favorites. Don't shoot me, but I first fell in love with the bottle, tested it, and bought one. BUT, I will add, it's best (at least on me) in small doses. Many frags from the 80's, for instance, can still be enjoyed if applied with the lighter touch. A secret of mine is to also have a tube of the lotion and just use that. Then, especially in warmer weather, or in the daytime, I get a softer sillage. (Passion's spray is too forceful). I love to wear Passion when I go out to the theater, for example and anywhere during Christmastime, lightly of course--makes me feel dressed up and brings one a feeling of "old world glamour" to me, but in good way.

I haven't been very attracted to her other scents, tho some are nice on other people. I read somewhere besides Jungle Gardenia, she wore Bal A Versailles. I've seen some beautiful photos of her from time to time. Even the photos for the ads of Passion when it first came out were stunning and she was in her fifties!

I actually like Passion quite alot, too. The dusting powder is divine. Someone on another board suggested that it smelled similar to Estee Lauder Amber Nude and I think she was right on with her comparison.
    I also used to wear Black Pearl, but somehow my love affair with that scent went awry, I got rid of my bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Evyan View Post
    A secret of mine is to also have a tube of the lotion and just use that. Then, especially in warmer weather, or in the daytime, I get a softer sillage.

Great point about the lotions. I love the lotion for Anais Anais which I find is longer lasting and more delicate than the spray parfum.

Whatever happened to EL anyway? Haven't seen her for years, although recently here in the U.S. there have been ads for White Diamonds (the old ads).