Code of Conduct

Default I need some advise ladies.

I have been dating this girl for a month now. I would like to buy something challenging , I would much prefer a unisex fragrance, or maybe not. I am totally lost on this one.

I really like gourmand on women, or also something in the line of Virgin Island water.
    What is out there that you could recommend? I do not want to buy the typical designer fragrance that reminds me to some other women that I dated in the past if you know what I mean. I just want a signature scent for her that we both like. She is wearing Dior Addict but that is also something my mother wears which obviously turns me off.

I gave her a tester of Bond no9 Andy Warhol Union Square, she wore it today and it was sexy and cute, but at one point she said it was very strong and it was making her uncomfortable, she over applied.

I really like Posion Hypnotic but I have not idea if she would like it. We are getting to know each other , we sort of built the house from the roof though, we are trying to take it easier now.
    Thanks in advance.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: I need some advise ladies.

How about one of the Chanel Exclusifs? 31 Rue Cambon and Coromandel are both really beautiful and not like anything else in designer scents.

I cannot find it in town, I would have to oder it on line.. I would like to get her the fragrance on Monday as she told me her Addict is almost finished and I dont want to tell her to buy something else it could sound rude..

How about Bvlgari Omnia??

I don't know if these are too designer, but I like Bulgari Jasmin Noir, Kenzo Amour, Dolce & Gabbana The One. They have a sweetness to them that your girlfriend may like, since she enjoys Addict. Perhaps some younger people will chime in with suggestions for you as well (I'm probably your mother's age). Good luck!

I am 39, she is 33
    (I do not like Addict at all... )
    Last edited by Basteri; 7th February 2009 at 10:06 PM.

I like Kenzo Amour, also. And, the new Tom Ford White Patchouli.

I wish I could buy her Black Orchid, it will be perfect. Not available here.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I am 39, she is 33
    Ok, maybe not your mother after all. I thought you were younger (almost everybody else is!).

Bulgari Omnia is very nice, too. But the newest Bulgari, Jasmin Noir, might be more to her taste. I don't know. Maybe not more to your taste, though!

that is the drama:
    what I like and what she likes could be different.
    This is the commencing of our relationship and she could be the one. To me the right fragrance for her is very important , there is nothing like smelling that amazing perfume that you adore in the fragile neck of the woman you like. She saw my fragrance collection and was puzzled, I think she tough I am weir but now seems she is getting intrigued by the world of fragrances and she wants me to wear all he time L Anarchiste which is the one I was wearing when we met. Today I wore Knize Ten and she did not even commented on it.
    Back to her. Omnia ,from the reviews I read, seems to be something I would like and perhaps she will like.

I am not a lady by any stretch of the imagination but if I were to find myself in your situation, I would give serious thought to taking her with me on a scent trip on Monday evening, perhaps prior to a quiet supper out (or even better, in).

That way, you will have purchased her a gift, you won't be buying blind for her, and you can both find out what notes/frags she likes and doesn't like. There is also the excuse (not that you needed one) to have dinner with a woman for whom you clearly have a good deal of affection.

You have a really nice Wardrobe and presumably the taste to match, so with the suggestions from this thread in hand, I don't imagine you will have too much difficulty gently offering useful advice along the way.

It could be a pressure-free chance to learn things about each other, if you decide to do it or something like it. And maybe you will also get to spend less time worrying about the roof collapsing and more time enjoying the house?

Oh, and good luck!
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 7th February 2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Good luck!

I am 39, she is 33
    Addict did not impress me either. I would think it is more of a repellant...yuck.

I am running out of ideas since even Tom Ford's mainstream scents are not available

What about Lolita Lempicka or L by Lolita Lempicka? Kenzo Amour is a bit like Bulgari Black only sweeter and more tender. Kenzo Vintage Edition Peace is like Bulgari Black without the rubber.

I really like Posion Hypnotic but I have not idea if she would like it. We are getting to know each other , we sort of built the house from the roof though, we are trying to take it easier now.
    Thanks in advance.
    If she likes Addict, I bet she will LOVE hypnotic posion, they're both so sweet (I like the almond in hypnotic better than the sweet sticky mess in addict) and they're both kind of of the wall scents. If I were you I would take a risk and get her Hypnotic posion.
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Blog Entries

I think Emlynevermore had the right idea. Make an evening of it! Hunting for common ground is the whole point of dating anyways, right? If you're trying to find a signature scent, rather than one more bottle in a collection, you'll want to choose carefully.

You can surprise her with a bottle of something she might not like. Or you could take this opportunity to learn more about each other's preferences and end up with something you'll both love. I'd take the latter.

Have you considered Angel? If you're lucky, she will smell like spiced caramel. I was not lucky, and smelled like berries with a heaping teaspoonful of black pepper.

I LOVE Hypnotic but I cannot stand Addict. I got a sample of Addict out of curiosity because so many people think they are similar, but they are nothing alike, to my nose, and NOTHING alike on my skin.

All in all, I second (or third?) the Jasmin Noir.

Blog Entries

I agree that dinner and fragrance shopping could be an excellent date. Because she would be looking for a scent which will get heavy rotation, you have all the excuse you need to spend a long time looking. It could be fun.

My wife likes Dior Addict and so do I, but I agree - I would be weirded out by one of my mom's scents on my wife. If you go testing, consider the newer versions of Dior Addict. To me they smell much younger - almost different scents. The difference could be enough for you, and the familiarity enough for her. Compromise smells good in any relationship.

My wife also likes Bulgari scents, in general, on both of us. She prefers the normal Pour Femme, but I like the Jasmin Noir better.

Many thanks to everyone. Good tips and advise, I think taking get along to get the perfume is the way to go. It is a pity that I cannot get any Tom Ford of other niche fragrances on the spot, I do not want to order something on like that will cost me a lot of money and that she will not like.
    Lolita is a good idea... hmm so are the Kenzo and Bvlgari.
    I will make an excuse to visit the largest parfume store and have her trying.
    Maybe Burberry has something she could like as well.
    I have an issue with fragrances that are very feminine in the wrong way, by that I mean old school powerbombs , I still have nightmares of those long car trips with my parents and siblings , my mother wearing Chanel nš 5 and my stomach and head upset. I developed and profound adversion. Not only that but my father listening to classical music for hours,,,, God!! I fully recover from the classical music and I like it now but the Chanel 5 still makes me sick. I think this deserves a new post.
    Again, ladies and gents , thank you.

Hypnotic Poison is good stuff... if she likes Addict she'll probably like HP (I like both)... how about good 'ol Shalimar? Addict is pretty much vanilla with florals and a touch or orange blossom.... Shalimar's got a good dose of vanilla with lavender and amber.

I dont remember how shalimar smells I will give it a good try. thank you!

How about L'Instant? It is not as sweet as Addict but I think most people like it. I love it!

I have L Instant extreme pour homme and I like it a lot, if the one for woman is as good we have a winner, thank u!

Blog Entries

I have L Instant extreme pour homme and I like it a lot, if the one for woman is as good we have a winner, thank u!
    Yes, there's a wonderful similarity. In fact, buying L'Instant for my wife triggered in part my purchase of the Pour Homme for myself. Both are wonderful fragrances. Hope your store has it - that was one I was going to suggest, but it's not everywhere.

they do have it, I will check it out tomorrow :-)

... I still have nightmares of those long car trips with my parents and siblings , my mother wearing Chanel nš 5 and my stomach and head upset. I developed and profound adversion. Not only that but my father listening to classical music for hours,,,, God!! I fully recover from the classical music and I like it now but the Chanel 5 still makes me sick. I think this deserves a new post.
    Again, ladies and gents , thank you.
    LOL! I have almost exactly the same experience -although my father is an opera lover and my stepmother used to wear White Diamonds - yuck!

I think all the suggestions you here are wonderful, I actually like Addict, and love Hypnotic Poison, Jasmin Noir and the original Bulgari pour femme. Please let us know what happened!

Just a thought, but if you're really eager to get her interested in niche perfumes what about buying some samples from someplace that sells samples. You could wrap them some interesting way. And then see which ones she likes.Also, Lucky scent does the thing with the samples and gift certificate.

I like the dinner and shopping idea best. That sounds fun.

In town I can get Serge Lutens, Etro, Aqua di Parma and Annick Goutal, that will be it. (niche)
    It is a good idea to order some niche, but tomorrow I will pull the trigger on her next parfume. I will take into consideration all your suggestions and narrow down to one that I like, I will then take her and introduce her to the one I like and after I will ask her to tell me what she likes.

Ooh, if you can get Serge Lutens, you should try Douce Amere! It is licorice, somewhat soft, and reminiscent of Lolita Lempicka.

In Aqua di Parma, Iris Nobile is a charming floral--not too challenging, but high quality and not like anything else on the market. I love this one for warmer weather.

done deal I got a bottle of Dior Hypnotic (Poison) she liked it a lot and I do as well. Smells sexy on her .
    Thank you all for your kind advise.:-)

In the future (should there be a future), a really sexy date would be purchasing some samples (LuckyScent is great because their descriptions are the best especially when cross referenced with Basenotes) and trying them out together. You could even try some on yourself. I would not do more than four each. Since you have to let fragrances open up, there is time to talk about the development, whether you can identify the notes, and even the history of the scent (and show off your knowledge which is appealing) and perhaps enjoy a light meal and some champagne. Sort of like a wine tasting only more intimate.