Code of Conduct

Lightbulb very similar fragrances by the same perfumer

I recently became aware of a phenomenon, not altogether surprising, of perfumes created by the same perfumer that are similar enough I might mistake one for the other. I'm sure others have noticed this before, but since the following list has been accumulating in my head a while I thought I'd post it in one place:

These pairs all happen to be released within a few years of each other under different brands.

There must be more examples. What else have I missed so far?
    Last edited by d4; 8th February 2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: formatting
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Default Re: very similar fragrances by the same perfumer

Lolita Lempicka AM,Bvlgari Black and Body Kouros by Annick Menardo...

Annick Menardo is also responsible for Bois d'Argent and Hypnotic Poison, both excellent, honeyed and complex fragrances, both for Dior.

If you like Bois d'Argent or any of Menardo's work, I encourage you to try Hypnotic Poison, the 'unknown and unrecognized' Menardo. It's unisex and isn't the vaguest bit like Poison. It's a bummer that Dior released it as a flanker because it would have done much better by itself - or even as a masculine/unisex release.

What amazes me most is that the same perfumer that created Cool Water and GIT also created Kouros.
    To me is like Jeniffer Lopez singing like Patti Smith.

Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas are two of the daddies of aquatics. Several of them are quite simillar.
    Jean Claude Ellena´s perfumes have something very similar in them. I can think of Un Jardin Sur Le nil and Angeliques sous la pluie.
    Bertrand Duchaufour has a nice affair with incense, present in several of his creations.
    Maurice Roucell also recycles some of his own ideas. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem and Rochas Man. There was another one, but I cannot remember it.
    Last edited by irish; 8th February 2009 at 02:16 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Havana & Montana Parfum D'Homme (original) were both done by Edouard Fléchier...

Quote Originally Posted by rafaellg View Post
    What amazes me most is that the same perfumer that created Cool Water and GIT also created Kouros.
    To me is like Jeniffer Lopez singing like Patti Smith.
    I know! CW being JLo
    Last edited by irish; 7th February 2009 at 11:30 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillasone are two of the daddies of aquatics. Several of them are quite simillar.
    Simillar like Bvlgari Aqva and Acqua di Giò ph?
    Last edited by rafaellg; 8th February 2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Maurice Roucell also recycles some of his own ideas. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem and Rochas Man. There was another one, but I cannot remember it.
    Yes, Roucel is one of my favorite contemporary noses, but I often wonder how Rochas reacts to the existence of New Haarlem or Missoni's feelings towards Nautica Voyage.
    The man certainly is prolific.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th February 2009 at 02:03 PM.

Is Roucel the "nose" for Lancome's Hypnose? Isn't that very similar to a much more expensive fragrance? Does anybody know what that fragrance is? I am very curious about this.
    Evenstar

Can't forget Ellena's work...
    -Bigarade for Malle
    -Declaration for Cartier
    -Poivre Samarcande for Hermes

etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Is Roucel the "nose" for Lancome's Hypnose? Isn't that very similar to a much more expensive fragrance? Does anybody know what that fragrance is? I am very curious about this.
    Actually, I think Annick Menardo was one of two noses for the women's version.

Maurice Roucel is very possibly my favorite perfumer overall (close tie with Olivia Giacobetti). I love nearly everything he's made and really like the others. I found Labdanum from Le Labo to have some of the basic core characteristics of Musc Ravageur. His other similarities between scents have already been mentioned here (like Rochas Man and the uber-enhanced New Haarlem).

Quote Originally Posted by d4 View Post
    I recently became aware of a phenomenon, not altogether surprising, of perfumes created by the same perfumer that are similar enough I might mistake one for the other. I'm sure others have noticed this before, but since the following list has been accumulating in my head a while I thought I'd post it in one place:

These pairs all happen to be released within a few years of each other under different brands.

Quote Originally Posted by el.roger View Post
    Lolita Lempicka AM,Bvlgari Black and Body Kouros by Annick Menardo...
    Those are some lovely comparisons and i totally agree ! !! need to sample Tiffany's and Power though...the comparisons sound very compelling. :0

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Annick Menardo is also responsible for Bois d'Argent and Hypnotic Poison, both excellent, honeyed and complex fragrances, both for Dior.

If you like Bois d'Argent or any of Menardo's work, I encourage you to try Hypnotic Poison, the 'unknown and unrecognized' Menardo. It's unisex and isn't the vaguest bit like Poison. It's a bummer that Dior released it as a flanker because it would have done much better by itself - or even as a masculine/unisex release.
    it does!!!?? im on a BdA high...will look forward to sample this today in mall. thnx !!!

Basenotes Institution

Speaking of Roucel...

His hairspray accord in Insolence by Guerlain is mimicked in his scent for Frederic Malle, Dans Tes Bras.

I also think that Kurkdjian's 'Gaultier' accord is evident in Le Male, Gautlier2 and Fleur de Male.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Havana & Montana Parfum D'Homme (original) were both done by Edouard Fléchier...
    I second this. Very similar except for a few notes.

Jean Laporte created L' Eau de Navigateur for L' Artisan Parfumeur and then he sold the company and started up a new niche house named Maitre Parfumer et Gantieur and created an almost identical fragrance in Eau des Iles for MPG. The two fragrances are are difficult to tell apart.

I concur - many of JCE's scents are extremely similar. I'm not the biggest fan, though Terre d'Hermes is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Can't forget Ellena's work...
    -Bigarade for Malle
    -Declaration for Cartier
    -Poivre Samarcande for Hermes

etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Actually, I think Annick Menardo was one of two noses for the women's version.
    Oops, sorry, I meant Hypnose for Men
    Evenstar

Paco Rabanne Black XS pour homme, Versace Man Eau Fraiche and Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue (for women) all created by Olivier Cresp and don't they smell very smilar? To me it seems like he wanted to use the same formula only slightly reworked with each of these scents.

To my nose, there is something very similar happening in Jean Claude Ellena's Osmanthe Yunnan and Declaration...come to think of it, Eau Parfumee au The Verte is also quite similar IMO.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by d4 View Post

Pardon my ignorance but I thought Olivier Creed was the perfumer for all the Creeds?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but I thought Olivier Creed was the perfumer for all the Creeds?

here we go again

Marc Buxton: Givenchy's Only Givenchy and So Givenchy are smell-a-likes.
    I have always thought that Herrera's Aqua was a tamer version of Lauren's Polo Blue (both by Benaïm)

Bernard Chant's Cabochard and Aramis: not exactly the same, but very similar indeed, as said in BN and as tested by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Bernard Chant's Cabochard and Aramis: not exactly the same, but very similar indeed, as said in BN and as tested by myself.
    And then you get Bernie's Azzure, which is Aramis and Alliage which he re-worked into Devin. Weekend at Bernie's?

With respect to Edmund Roudnitska, there are similarities with some of his fragrances, though I consider them more to be variations on a theme that he developed over years of work and not simply 'similar fragrances'.

Dior Diorella
    Dior Diorama
    Frederic Malle Le Parfum de Therese

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post

just tried Hyponotic Poison in a mall ! well i love it, vanilla pods extreme ! however, it just doesnt replace BdA...cud find it similar except for some notes in base.....HP is too dense and is all about vanilla pods (which i was really surprised to find in such concentration). thnx for the heads up though. liked this scent a lot.

Antoine Maisondieu:

Burberry Brit for Men
    Armani Code (with Antoine Lie)

Quote Originally Posted by jenson
    just tried Hyponotic Poison in a mall ! well i love it, vanilla pods extreme ! however, it just doesnt replace BdA...cud find it similar except for some notes in base.....HP is too dense and is all about vanilla pods (which i was really surprised to find in such concentration). thnx for the heads up though. liked this scent a lot.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm glad you trusted my comment. I didn't mean to imply that it would 'replace' BdA, which was made some years later. Just that they were similar. I find they both have that 'honeyed vanilla' thing going on, though you're more attuned to vanilla pod aroma and I take your word for it. I think they are different enough to own both (I do), and honestly the HP is quite nice when worn, as is the BdA. Hmmmm... maybe I've got my SOTD figured out now.

RE: GIT/CW and Bourdon. Thats the info promulgated by Luca Turin who got it from Michael Edwards who got it from I don't know where. We have discussed this before at Basenotes, but according to Erwin Creed GIT is wholly composed by Olivier Creed with some input by P. Bourdon (who's a family friend) just like how he recommended the use of the gunpowder note in Himalaya. Bourdon has never claimed to be the nose behind GIT, and he was shopping around for a house for his CW formula for years after that.

I agree that many of JC Ellena's fragrance have a similar signature. The sparse architecture and an Iso E Super-woody note are probably responsible for that.

Its also true that many of La Porte's formulas for L'Artisan were resurrected, often in better form, for the MPG line.

Roucels is using his crass "hairspray" accord more and more (its one of the things that bothers me in Dans Tes Bras) and I hope he avoids it in the future.

Duchafours woody-incense signature is now unmistakable and popping up almost in everything he does now ..

I haven't detected a key Kurkdjian accord, but his "style" is to use loud synthetics intermingled with a modicum of good ingredients to bring about his own unique signature (albeit at a more structural level)
    Last edited by zztopp; 8th February 2009 at 05:34 PM.
    -