Code of Conduct

Default How would you compare fine wines to frags ?

I haven't had wine or any alcohol in a while due to a stomach issue, but I'm wondering how those of you who consider yourselves wine connoisseurs would compare how you think about wine vs. frags.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 8th February 2009 at 04:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How would you compare fine wines to frags ?

Discernment of notes or flavors is equal in both. With wine you use mostly taste plus smell. With fragrances you use mostly smell, but I am convinced there is a taste factor as well. I have found that since I analyze perfumes more now, I can smell individual notes and flavors in all kinds of food and drinks. Of special interest to me are whiskey and port, but wine is also very much in this category.

Post Thanks / Like

I consider myself a connoisseur of fine wine and spirits.

There are some parallels - when I sample a fragrance's top notes I see it as evaluating a wine's bouquet. I approach it in the same fashion - which I think puts off some SA's who don't quite understand my need to really take in the fragrance deeply.

Then, of course, comes wearing (or drinking) - the flavor of the wine or cognac or the emerging depth from a complex fragrance warming on the skin. That is the most rewarding part, and quite often the prelude of the initial sniff simply does not do justice to what comes after!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I haven't had wine or any alcohol in a while due to a stomach issue, but I'm wondering how those of you who consider yourselves wine connoisseurs would compare how you think about wine vs. frags.

Post Thanks / Like

Bigsly, I forgot to mention--you do not need to consume the wine to taste it. It is less fun, but you would still be able to taste it. The only part missing would be the experience at the back of the tongue that you would normally have when you swallow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Bigsly, I forgot to mention--you do not need to consume the wine to taste it. It is less fun, but you would still be able to taste it. The only part missing would be the experience at the back of the tongue that you would normally have when you swallow.
    Yes, smell is the largest part of wine discernment.
    I enjoyed and analyzed wines for many years before I started getting interested in perfumes. The process of isolating factor X and identifying it is essentially the same. It involves analysis, intuition, and memory.
    Wine interacts with food, each bringing out additional qualities in the other in a very interactive way.
    Scent interacts with life in a more subtle way. It lends a sensual cloud that will periodically accent whatever is going on and add another dimension.
    Scent is a more personal experience than wine. Two or more people can drink wine. Sure they will each have their own experience of it, but the consumption of wine can be a social event. The consumption of perfume is usually a solitary thing.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

There are always people who will complain the grapes of a certain wine are picked 4 days too early.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a useful parallel. Both are intensely layered and have the dimension of time that requires sustained attention. Both soak in a huge and complex number of factors, beyond description really, and both leave me grasping for language that is at once emotional language and sensory language. That feeling of sensing something really complex and interesting and trying to find images for it that are simple enough to speak out loud is a really powerful, pleasurable, maddening situation for me. We sometimes talk about frags as though it were possible to reduce them to a few ingredients but their compositions are so complex that often a more metaphorical approach is useful. Even though other people metaphors can be really irritating. I went into a really cool little essential oils place in Baltimore yesterday and Gabrielle said oooh that she had a new lemon cypress oil that I should try. And it smelled enough like lemon peel that I would have told you that's what it was and would have disregarded the herbal-woody notes that were also in there. Soooo, this is all to say that when you taste good wine you are witnessing infinite layers of things going interesting right on the planet: good earth, favorable weather, skillfull harvesting and handling, careful selection on the part of wine sellers, your own dumb luck. And you look thoughtfully at the ceiling and say, mmm, tannins up front, something berry-y, annnnd...And you can't very well say that this is the very blood of some young god but what else do you say? Mmmm, it's really...drinkable. Langoooge.

Desperate alcoholics are as wont to drink cologne as wine.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th February 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Incidentally, as far as pairings go (usually the pairing of wine with food), I think certain fragrances blend with a meal or wine better than others. Tonight I found an accidental pairing of tawny port with Serge Lutens Borneo 1834. The port is on the cheaper side of good (has a cork stopper), but now I am wondering if smelling the Borneo makes it seem better