Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Synthetic vs. Natural Perfumery

Good thing two of my favorite fragrances are particularly well-adapted to spraying on clothing: Knowing and Aromatics Elixir. Both of these can be overwhelming when sprayed in excess on the heat of the skin, but they are charming and diffused when worn on clothing. And they last a long time. And they are cheap so you don't feel bad about spraying fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I wish that fragrance labels would include ALL ingredients (natural and synthetic), not merely "fragrance" plus a minimal list of chemicals that are suspected to induce allergy. That way, I could clearly see what is in the product I am using. And, I wish that list would be similar to those put on foods--shown in descending order of total percent.
    But wait, there are too many ingredients.
    How about a Percent Natural number on the label?
    PERFECT!!!!!!! Hi evrybody,
    I work in the food sector, in Italy. Actually a big problem in food industry is about food labelling. I think that in perfumery, as well as in food, there is a need to acculturation on consumers. We should together fight in order to have CLEAR labels for perfumes too. I know many and many herboristic factories which instead of using natural rae materials use chapiest synth ones. and consumers think they are obviously using raw natural oils!
    I think that there is a lack of transparency on that. ALL INGREDIENTS SHOULD BE LISTED! THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY DEFENCE IS OFTEN A LIE TO INCLUDE WHATEVER KIND OF INFGREDIENTS INDUSTRY WANTS!.

I didn't want to start a new thread... but I need a help.

I gave all my fragrances away because of theirs synthetic components and I'm trying to switch to a natural. Now the only one that remained on my shelf is L'Occitane - Eav des Bavx.
    So...I'm wondering about O d' Boh. How much synthetic is it???

When I asked L'Occitane they replied:
    ''We cannot give you the full formula from our fragrance but see below the notes(???) including in this eau de toilette:

Top Note: Black Pepper, Cardamom
    Middle Note: Cypress, Incense
    Bottom Note: Vanilla, Tonka''
    Last edited by Dear Musk; 27th December 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Notes don't say crap about the used ingredients. Also, L'Occitane's marketing also doesn't say crap about the amount of synthetics used. People just cultivate goodwill for this company.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Stereotomy, thank u for your reply! I started a thread at Male Fragrance Discussion.

Blog Entries

the anti-synthetic thing makes me think of musicians who hate synthesizers but not electric guitar
    everyone stops at some point
    i don't like hardcore music
    i can't understand the lyrics/melody/rhythms in a way that makes it enjoyable for me

synthetics are like electric guitar
    just wait til the next scent technology arrives!
    some natural fragrance diehards will suddenly value synthetics but not the olfactory equivalent of midi

that's my two cents

I like the wonderful effects of real rose and jasmine, but I draw the line at ingredients derived from animals (musk, civet, castoreum)--even if they are by-products of another industry.

You can now have a synthetic castoreum note, and I think even Chanel no longer use real civet.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

Blog Entries

Thanks for those who bumped this thread. Scentophile's initial post is great & worth periodic re-reading. While I'm not as turned off by seeing "All Natural" or "Organic" on a label as I am by seeing "Paris Hilton," I'm always suspicious when something else besides smell is used to sell a 'fume.

Blog Entries

Think long and well, those of you who rush to embrace synthetics in fragrance. In the alchemy of fragrance, those made of the natural world are Gods ingredients assembled by the creative nature of man. Fragrance made of synthetics are man's impertinent attempts create himself as God in the creation of ingredients and assemblage creative.

If I ever came to find out which frags I own are predominantly natural and which predominantly synthetic (my amateurish and substantially uninformed take is that most designer and even niche frags are predominantly synthetic), I would probably end up not bothered at all by the performance of the synthetic notes- I'm pleased with the frags I like just the same, almost irrespective of what they actually contain.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Think long and well, those of you who rush to embrace synthetics in fragrance. In the alchemy of fragrance, those made of the natural world are Gods ingredients assembled by the creative nature of man. Fragrance made of synthetics are man's impertinent attempts create himself as God in the creation of ingredients and assemblage creative.
    Djeez

The keyboard you just typed that message on is made of plastic.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 3rd February 2010 at 12:55 PM.

But remember that even synthetics have an ultimately natural origin (everything does), while many naturals on the other hand are extracted by extremely harsh chemical processes. And what about semi-synthetics. And musk was created by the Devil .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

True, all matter and energy is made by god! We're just rearranging it.

So is god synthetic or natural?

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Take a good look at your "natural" perfume bottle:
    What about the spray mechanism?
    The glue that holds the label?
    The ink on the label?
    Now think that even a mostly natural perfume must have ingredients such as preservatives: because if you try to put a slice of fruit, or a flower in a tightly closed jar, trust me, in a few days, it'll stink to high heaven.
    There is no such thing as a completely natural perfume.

Blog Entries

the term "natural" seems to be a fictitious selling point currently, at least in terms of stuff you're not making at home from your garden.

loved the note about the computer keyboard and the glues and inks on labels!
    yeah, you can live off the grid and be closer to god, but then your internet connection gets wonky and you can't hang out on basenotes.
    is it worth it?

Wait a minute - there ARE excellent all-natural perfumes out there and also excellent non-all-natural ones. They have different qualities. Sometimes I prefer one, sometimes the other.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Blog Entries

i'm sure there are.
    i just think the term "natural" can mean many things, as the dude who threw out all but two of his fragrances found out when the one company wouldn't divulge their ingredients.
    "natural" isn't what the consumer often thinks of as, well "natural"
    and now "organic" doesn't mean too much since the government got involved in certification

i did not mean to say there are no fragrances that are natural/organic/free of dyes and chemicals and synthetics
    i just mean it's a very broad term, and i bet the people who ACTUALLY strive for purity in their natural products are often lumped in with products that make no such efforts

that lady whose perfumes come in the frosted bottle with a ribbon on it and no label
    she could be a contender
    hell, she could be natural perfume heavyweight champion of the world for all i know

if you're not in the lab with someone, and you didn't make it yourself
    there's an element of buyer's faith because there are no perfume regulation organizations that go around determining such things
    maybe in the future, there will be

[QUOTE=jayjupes;1739321
    if you're not in the lab with someone, and you didn't make it yourself
    there's an element of buyer's faith..[/QUOTE]

This is true even from the perspective of the natural perfumer. Do they know that their sandalwood or linden blossom or rose are not at all adulterated with synthetics? It can be nigh impossible to tell without a GC/MS, and I highly doubt many (if any) natural perfumers have ready access to that. There are a lot of unscrupulous suppliers - or even well intentioned suppliers that themselves have fallen pray to an unscrupulous supplier higher up on the chain. It gets murky, fast.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th February 2010 at 04:37 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Bumping this because it's an issue I've been contemplating a lot, lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    It's just that there are so many claims, especially from 'all-natural perfumers' that their 'natural' product is so much healthier because it's 'natural'.
    You hear this argument in all kinds of areas. What always comes to my mind is that arsenic, deadly nightshade, and a whole host of disease-causing bacteria, fungi, and moulds are also completely natural.

Not all "natural" things are good for you. Not all "synthetic" things are bad for you. And some synthetics are, truly, nature-identical, regardless of whether they're compounded in a lab from scratch or isolated out of some botanical substance.

That said, I do tend to prefer the richness and depth of botanicals in most cases. I just find the "whole oil" more interesting, and to have more character. I do like and wear synthetic and semi-synthetic perfumes, though. I think a lot depends on the artistry of the perfumer.
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Can I make one thing absolutely clear, as there seems, still, to be a hell of a lot of confusion. If I made a fragrance consisting only of the Essential Oils that I myself distilled, from the plants that I myself grew; that perfume would be made of chemicals, and only chemicals. ALL NATURAL FRAGRANCES ARE MADE OF CHEMICALS. There is no difference in the "goodness" of a chemical in an essential oil, and one made in a lab. It's what you do with them that counts, and there are some odour areas that cannot be made using essential oils alone.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    ALL NATURAL FRAGRANCES ARE MADE OF CHEMICALS.
    Everything is made of chemicals.
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph View Post
    Take a good look at your "natural" perfume bottle:
    What about the spray mechanism?
    The glue that holds the label?
    The ink on the label?
    Now think that even a mostly natural perfume must have ingredients such as preservatives: because if you try to put a slice of fruit, or a flower in a tightly closed jar, trust me, in a few days, it'll stink to high heaven.
    There is no such thing as a completely natural perfume.
    That comment is absolutely NOT true. You don't use the fruit itself, you use the essential oil & there are different processes for extracting it. By your logic we would not be able to drink wine, how long is that aged?

Each essential oil has a different shelf life. Citrus tends to go the fastest, things like patchouli and vanilla last the longest.

Do you use vanilla extract? Dried herbs in cooking?

The biggest factor in essential oils going bad is oxidation. Your finished product is only good for as long as your base ingredients. If you have one that is only good for 6 months, even though you may have others that are good for two years, your product is only good for 6 months because of that one ingredient. You can use vitamin E to try to help to slow down the oxidation and extend the life of the perfume but to say that there is no such thing as a completely natural perfume is simply not true.

This is where the use of a citrus aromachemical can be very beneficial because it will extend the life of that perfume.

In addition, there are some scents that can't be extracted like lily of the valley, lilac, strawberry etc. which I love and they can only be recreated synthetically. There are plenty of perfumes that employ the use of both essential oils/natural compounds AND synthetics. Why do you think the older formulations of perfumes have had to be reformulated? If they were purely synthetic it would not have been necessary.

I think there is a place for both natural and synthetic. I don't think that either should be banned/over-regulated needlessly and that if you only choose one over the other exclusively, you are missing out but to each their own.